DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Rocketman (2019, D: Fletcher) S: Taron Egerton -- Elton John musical fantasy (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/614700-rocketman-2019-d-fletcher-s-taron-egerton-elton-john-musical-fantasy.html)

JumpCutz 10-24-13 04:45 PM

Rocketman (2019, D: Fletcher) S: Taron Egerton -- Elton John musical fantasy

Sounds like a nice bit of casting. :thumbsup:

Tom Hardy is officially set to star as Elton John in Rocket Pictures’ upcoming biopic, Rocketman. What's more, Focus Features has come aboard to give the film a major U.S. release, producers announced today.

Rocketman is described as being "a larger-than-life movie musical spectacle that tells the story of a child prodigy turned music legend." John will re-record many of his iconic hits to parallel the emotional beats of the film.

The Hardy deal caps a lengthy search to cast the role of Elton in the film, which will be co-financed by AI Film and directed by Michael Gracey (the upcoming The Greatest Showman on Earth). The original screenplay is written by Academy Award nominee Lee Hall (War Horse, Billy Elliot).

"Tom is a stellar talent who will add extraordinary depth and nuance in bringing Elton’s story to life,” said Rocket Pictures CEO Steve Hamilton Shaw. “We are excited to have such a gifted actor on board, and equally excited to be in the hands of Peter Schlessel and the entire Focus Features team.”

"Tom is quickly becoming known as one of the world's most versatile actors, and like others at the top of their craft, he has proven his ability to transform himself completely into the character or subject found in the material," said Schlessel. "We are confident that Tom will embody the physicality and spirit of Sir Elton. This, in conjunction with the creative team led by Michael and Rocket Pictures, will provide the foundation for something that will be a unique cinematic event.”

Rocketman is produced by Steve Hamilton Shaw and David Furnish of Rocket Pictures and Lawrence Bender on behalf of AI Film...

The film is scheduled to shoot in fall 2014.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=110574

Decker 10-24-13 05:15 PM

re: Rocketman (2019, D: Fletcher) S: Taron Egerton -- Elton John musical fantasy

Preparing myself for about a million of these videos:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zOwKouTwji8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Valeyard 10-24-13 05:32 PM

re: Rocketman (2019, D: Fletcher) S: Taron Egerton -- Elton John musical fantasy

I was hoping it would be Tom Hardy as William Shatner in Rocketman.

Hokeyboy 10-24-13 06:00 PM

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/...snap_81727.png

"I don't like soft-ass shit!"

Why So Blu? 10-24-13 06:04 PM

:lol:

You beat me to it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3jEUwWA1sno" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Giles 10-24-13 06:06 PM

I can't wait to see the hair extensions/wig they are going to put on Tom.

Solid Snake 10-24-13 06:13 PM

Another transformation for him. Jesus. So I'm guessing he'll slim down a bit? He still looks kind Of big (but slimmed) from what I've seen of Fury Road.

Giles 10-24-13 06:22 PM

well Tom could look Elton - now - but yeah he'll have to lose a few pounds at least.

Drexl 10-24-13 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 11883256)
I was hoping it would be Tom Hardy as William Shatner in Rocketman.

Or Tom Hardy as Harland Williams' character in Rocketman.

PenguinJoe 10-24-13 07:05 PM

I thought for sure Justin Timberlake would play Elton after this video.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SsuHAn54wPs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Bus 10-25-13 08:25 AM

Oh, you think sequins are your ally. But you merely adopted the stage; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!

TomOpus 10-25-13 08:42 AM

"Oh, I wonder if they'll get him a different jetpack. Is Jennifer Connelly going to be in this also?"

;)

Shannon Nutt 10-25-13 08:45 AM

I still don't get Hollywood's (or many moviegoers) love affair with Mr. Hardy. I think he's rather "meh" as an actor - not horrible, but not memorable, either. :shrug:

Solid Snake 10-25-13 08:46 AM

Have you seen Bronson?

Also he did solid work in the last Batman film. Among other things.

Shannon Nutt 10-25-13 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 11883912)
Have you seen Bronson?

Also he did solid work in the last Batman film. Among other things.

No, I've only see Dark Knight Rises, Star Trek Nemesis, This Means War, Inception, and Warrior, and found him unappealing in all those films. I'll have to check that one out if I can find it on Netflix or somewhere.

Hokeyboy 10-25-13 08:55 AM

Bronson :up: He was a freakin' pit bull on that movie. Use subs.

Solid Snake 10-25-13 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 11883922)
No, I've only see Dark Knight Rises, Star Trek Nemesis, This Means War, Inception, and Warrior, and found him unappealing in all those films. I'll have to check that one out if I can find it on Netflix or somewhere.

Inception and Warrior were easy but good jobs for him. This means War i know nothing of but i wanted to see it. In TDKR he was doing solid work with a mask on. Star Trek: Nemesis, I've never seen it, was probably jut him trying to find a job to make a name. I hear it is a shitty film though.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 11883929)
Bronson :up: He was a freakin' pit bull on that movie. Use subs.

Yeah. It can get hard at times with the accents of some in there. He was massive for that one. Couldn't slim down after that. He was still kind of big in Inception. Then he added bulk instead of definition for Bane. Looks like he's kind of normal size for Fury Road.

Why So Blu? 10-25-13 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 11883922)

You should watch Layer Cake and RockNRolla. I became a big fan after RockNRolla.

Solid Snake 10-25-13 11:40 AM

I keep fucking forgetting he was in those. It's a huge transformation don what he was in Kayercake to what he is now. He was solid in Guy R's flick too.

inri222 10-25-13 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 11883908)
I still don't get Hollywood's (or many moviegoers) love affair with Mr. Hardy. I think he's rather "meh" as an actor - not horrible, but not memorable, either. :shrug:

Of the 4 films I have seen him in I thought he was great in Bronson & Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. The other 2 were Inception & Black Hawk Down

Decker 10-25-13 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 11884122)
Of the 4 films I have seen him in I thought he was great in Bronson & Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. The other 2 were Inception & Black Hawk Down

So you have an anti-Nolan Batman quote in you sig, but didn't watch the film?

inri222 10-25-13 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 11884149)
So you have an anti-Nolan Batman quote in you sig, but didn't watch the film?

I have seen the first 2 and am in no rush to see the third.

Solid Snake 10-25-13 01:11 PM

I always remember being surprised to see him in Band of Brothers. I bought the BD set a bit after Bronson and a few other films that he was in came out. He was there fucking a girl and then standing naked. Funny to see how many actors we know now was in that series. Pegg was in there too. lol.

dex14 07-20-17 11:26 AM

Elton John biopic Rocketman has been in development for some years now. Tom Hardy was originally cast in the role of the singer-songwriter back in 2013, when the film was due to be directed by The Greatest Showman's Michael Gracey, but the project stalled before production could begin.

Now, Taron Egerton has replaced Hardy, with Eddie The Eagle's Dexter Fletcher taking directorial duties. Matthew Vaughn will produce, alongside John himself, while the script comes courtesy of Billy Elliot's Lee Hall. The film will start in John's childhood and cover his rise to fame, his working relationship with lyricist Bernie Taupin, and the various controversies that dogged him along the way.

John has also been reported to appear in Vaughn and Egerton's Kingsman: The Golden Circle, so everyone's probably nice and chummy by now. And with John producing his own biopic, and the director and star of 2016's most shamelessly feel-good movie at the top of the billing block, there's zero chance this won't be a bit of a saccharine hagiography. But hey, Eddie the Eagle was a fun time. If Egerton has the pipes to match his boundless charisma, Rocketman could be too.

William Shatner could not be reached for comment.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/07/...tom-hardy-isnt

Decker 07-20-17 11:33 AM

Not a bad casting choice. Don't understand the Shatner reference.