Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What if Episode II Were Good?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What if Episode II Were Good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-13, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: What if Episode II Were Good?

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
By what standard?
By the standard that he was a minor when they met and a brutal murderer shortly after they re-encountered with one another once he was of age.
Old 08-14-13, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer

ROTS was good. The only thing I didn't like was it was too rushed, trying to cram too much into too little time. Also the whole Anakin turning into Vader because of loooooove was just pure stupid.
I have to respectfully disagree as I think ROTS is the worst of the PT movies. It had the potential to the be the best PT movie, and best SW movie of the 6 with just the plot points alone.

But it was rushed, and the turn scene was horrendous and not believable at all. That scene was the key to the WHOLE trilogy, and it was over within a blink of the eye! I remember my friends said in the theater after the turn scene, "We waited all these year for that?" You essentially had Anakin turn to the darkside in 5 seconds, and then he goes and slaughters all the jedi because Palpatine MIGHT have a way to save Padme from dying, even though he has been deceiving the Jedi for the last 10 years?

The last hour of ROTS is just a checklist of scenes that Lucas had to show to get to Episode IV, but nothing is fleshed out. And then Padme losing the will to live was one of the worst decisions and totally contradicted her character who was supposed to be this strong and resilent female she played in Episode I & II.
Old 08-14-13, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-14-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

What if grandma had balls? Would she be grandpa?
Old 08-14-13, 10:15 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
For those who missed it, this was the one for Episode I:

And here's the new one:
I think he raises some really, really good points and the story he's laying out so far is great. Can't wait for part III.
Old 08-14-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

10 years later and people still bitching about the movies. Let me guess, he has a video ready to say how Han not shooting first altered the entire story. I heard there is some factual errors in 1933's King Kong. Better get a video ready for that one. I just wonder why Star Wars fans aren't held in high reguards by the rest of the world....oh yeah, they never let shit go. Here's hoping that in 2050 there are still anti-prequel video's being made.
Old 08-14-13, 11:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
What if grandma had balls? Would she be grandpa?
best response of the day.
Old 08-14-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
10 years later and people still bitching about the movies. Let me guess, he has a video ready to say how Han not shooting first altered the entire story. I heard there is some factual errors in 1933's King Kong. Better get a video ready for that one. I just wonder why Star Wars fans aren't held in high reguards by the rest of the world....oh yeah, they never let shit go. Here's hoping that in 2050 there are still anti-prequel video's being made.
Just think when the Sequel Trilogy comes out in the next few years, we will probably go through this whole charade again....
Old 08-14-13, 11:36 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Just think when the Sequel Trilogy comes out in the next few years, we will probably go through this whole charade again....
Start the lens flare thread.
Old 08-14-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you watched it? It's actually a pretty good "what if". It's not your typical fanboy george-raped-my-childhood whinefest. It's also different from redletter media's approach. I personally think his take on it is tons better than what we got. Especially changing Naboo to Alderaan? Makes that first planet destruction in the original movie have a more emotional punch if we had spent time there during the prequels.
Old 08-14-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For those who missed it, this was the one for Episode I:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VgICnbC2-_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here's the new one:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JAbug3AhYmw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know we had a thread here before for the first one but I couldn't find it. If mods or anybody else have better luck, feel free to merge.
I know this is in part a case of "hindsight is 20/20" but I really like the ideas this guy has.
Old 08-14-13, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
By the standard that he was a minor when they met and a brutal murderer shortly after they re-encountered with one another once he was of age.
He was 19 at the start of Episode II, which makes him above legal age. He didn't slaughter the Tuskens until about halfway through the film, and even then, he wept over it. Anakin didn't want to be a murderer; he knew it was wrong, but let his grief and rage get the better of him. Palpatine played on Anakin's fears since they met; he was the real devil of the story.
Old 08-14-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
He was 19 at the start of Episode II, which makes him above legal age. He didn't slaughter the Tuskens until about halfway through the film, and even then, he wept over it. Anakin didn't want to be a murderer; he knew it was wrong, but let his grief and rage get the better of him. Palpatine played on Anakin's fears since they met; he was the real devil of the story.
He was well below 19 when they met in Episode I. So even if he "grew up" (which he did), her best memory of him would be as a child and she treats him as such through the bulk of the movie. Second, he's still a mass murderer and he mainly complained about Obi Wan holding him back rather than the murder of an entire tribe. Their romance was laughable at best.

The best he could realistically hope for is a booty call and nothing more.
Old 08-14-13, 11:49 AM
RIP

He was well below 19 when they met in Episode I. So even if he "grew up" (which he did), her best memory of him would be as a child and she treats him as such through the bulk of the movie. Second, he's still a mass murderer and he mainly complained about Obi Wan holding him back rather than the murder of an entire tribe. Their romance was laughable at best.

The best he could realistically hope for is a booty call and nothing more.
I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough...and irritating!
Old 08-14-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Old 08-14-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
...and it gets everywhere. <- that's actually the best part of that line.
Old 08-14-13, 11:53 AM
RIP

True! How did I forget that?
Old 08-14-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

True. That is the best part of the line. I guess Episode II is like The Wicker Man (remake) of the Star Wars universe.
Old 08-14-13, 12:01 PM
Banned

Padme: Annie? My goodness, you've grown.
Anakin: So have you, grown more beautiful, for a senator I mean.
Padme: Annie, you'll always be that little boy I knew on Tatooine.

Yeah, Padme definitely comes across as a pedophile in AOTC.

Emma Watson may have grown up into a good looking woman, but in the back of my mind I still see her as 10 year old Hermoine Granger.
Old 08-14-13, 12:02 PM
RIP

And that prompted me to check the Episode II quotes on IMDB.

Jesus, what terrible dialogue.
Old 08-14-13, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you watched it? It's actually a pretty good "what if". It's not your typical fanboy george-raped-my-childhood whinefest. It's also different from redletter media's approach. I personally think his take on it is tons better than what we got. Especially changing Naboo to Alderaan? Makes that first planet destruction in the original movie have a more emotional punch if we had spent time there during the prequels.
Yes I did. He did have some interesting ideas. I do like the Alderaan instead of Naboo bit. However, it still is a video complaining about movies 10+ years old that has been done to death. Big problem with his idea is that by the end of Episode 2, Anakin & Padme don't really have a relationship going besides being friends so he'd have to have them get married, get Padme pregnant & give birth & have Anakin turn to the dark side all in Ep3. Little too much for one movie.
Old 08-14-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes I did. He did have some interesting ideas. I do like the Alderaan instead of Naboo bit. However, it still is a video complaining about movies 10+ years old that has been done to death. Big problem with his idea is that by the end of Episode 2, Anakin & Padme don't really have a relationship going besides being friends so he'd have to have them get married, get Padme pregnant & give birth & have Anakin turn to the dark side all in Ep3. Little too much for one movie.
Who's to say Padme ever married Anakin in his take? Perhaps they had one night of lust in which she was left with child (or children, as is the case). He never finds out and his siring offspring is kept hidden from him when he turns to the Dark Side midway through Episode 3.
Old 08-14-13, 01:45 PM
RIP

The idea of Darth Vader getting some ass always seemed off to me. We really didn't need to see it play out in the suck-quel trilogy.
Old 08-14-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

I know this is in part a case of "hindsight is 20/20" but I really like the ideas this guy has.
The storyline he had for II was definetly interesting (Really loved how Lars was handled) but no way would that have been made into a film:
Exec-"There's only 2 action sequences in the whole thing?!?"

A bit off-topic, but I've been doing a little catch-up on the Clone Wars (CG) toons. Really liked what they've been doing with young Boba.
Old 08-14-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
The storyline he had for II was definetly interesting (Really loved how Lars was handled) but no way would that have been made into a film:
Exec-"There's only 2 action sequences in the whole thing?!?"

A bit off-topic, but I've been doing a little catch-up on the Clone Wars (CG) toons. Really liked what they've been doing with young Boba.
Not necessarily. There's the flight to Alderaan, the attack on the peace talks (which seems to be a big centerpiece), Obi-Wan's arrival on Geonosis, and the final assault.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.