Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What if Episode II Were Good?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-13-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those who missed it, this was the one for Episode I:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VgICnbC2-_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here's the new one:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JAbug3AhYmw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know we had a thread here before for the first one but I couldn't find it. If mods or anybody else have better luck, feel free to merge.
Old 08-13-13, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What if Episode II Were Good?

What about it?
Old 08-13-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

Why is it "What if Episode II Were Good"? He titled the first installment correctly: "What if Episode I Was Good?"
Old 08-13-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, can't find the previous thread, if there was one. The first video was apparently posted in the Man of Steel reviews thread, and in a "Random Videos" thread in Otter, but not in its own thread apparently.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...l#post11754524
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...l#post11132545

However, on a related note I did discover this old thread:
Will Star Wars Episode 3 be good or bad?
Old 08-13-13, 04:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unlike the rabid purists, I actually like 90% of what's in the prequels (yes, even Jar Jar Binks). I hated that Lucas caved into pressure and made him the brunt of the Empire's founding.

The best of them is "Revenge of the Sith", but I felt some of Anakin's changes were done too quickly. I also cringed over Obi-Wan's hypocritical response when Anakin paraphrases Christ.
Old 08-13-13, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed all three prequels. I think that...................ya know what................I'm not even gonna take the bait.
Old 08-13-13, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Why is it "What if Episode II Were Good"? He titled the first installment correctly: "What if Episode I Was Good?"
Maybe he took an English class. "Were" is correct.
Old 08-13-13, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Maybe he took an English class. "Were" is correct.
Why?

Edit: OK, found this out myself. I was thinking the difference between was and were was purely between singular and plural:
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu...nouns?page=all

However, there's apparently also a difference between them when used in a supposition ("if...."). "Were" is used in situations where the supposition is in opposition to the facts, while "was" is used when the supposition is not contrary to any known facts.
http://mleddy.blogspot.com/2007/03/i...-if-i-was.html

Last edited by Jay G.; 08-13-13 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-13-13, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Unlike the rabid purists, I actually like 90% of what's in the prequels.
TPM was really the only truly bad prequel, and even that still had the awesome Darth Maul fights.

AOTC's only real problem was that Anakin and Padme had zero chemistry. It was just nauseating watching them on-screen because the romance wasn't the slightest bit believable.

ROTS was good. The only thing I didn't like was it was too rushed, trying to cram too much into too little time. Also the whole Anakin turning into Vader because of loooooove was just pure stupid.
Old 08-13-13, 05:30 PM
Banned

Unlike the rabid purists, I actually like 90% of what's in the prequels (yes, even Jar Jar Binks). I hated that Lucas caved into pressure and made him the brunt of the Empire's founding.

The best of them is "Revenge of the Sith", but I felt some of Anakin's changes were done too quickly. I also cringed over Obi-Wan's hypocritical response when Anakin paraphrases Christ.
...I'm not a SW fan but they're plenty flawed. While the gist of the plot may not be bad as JUST a story. It's execution is underdeveloped and poor.

I do remember ROTS to have funny dialogue and shit acting though.
Old 08-13-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I unplugged from Episode II after Annakin tells Padme about the slaugher at the villiage. The fact that this massacre of women and children didn't seem to bother her and she was still mooning over him made seemed so out of character of what she was supposed to be. I hated that she still loved him. Some people have told me that the sandpeople weren't real people, what Annakin did wasn't all that serious, but it left such a bad taste in my mouth I was done with the prequels. It made Annakin totally evil too fast and made Padme into a stupid little girl.

His very first note about Alderan (SP?) is dead on. I like a lot of his ideas.
Old 08-13-13, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
TPM was really the only truly bad prequel, and even that still had the awesome Darth Maul fights.

AOTC's only real problem was that Anakin and Padme had zero chemistry. It was just nauseating watching them on-screen because the romance wasn't the slightest bit believable.

ROTS was good. The only thing I didn't like was it was too rushed, trying to cram too much into too little time. Also the whole Anakin turning into Vader because of loooooove was just pure stupid.

Agree somewhat. I think AOTC was the only bad prequel due to the love story and rather uneven story flow. TPM had a little bit of appeal to the kid in me and I really liked ROTS overall. What you mentioned as its shortcoming is valid because while the fall of Anakin was built rather well in EU, it was pretty dumb in the movie.
Old 08-13-13, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
What you mentioned as its shortcoming is valid because while the fall of Anakin was built rather well in EU, it was pretty dumb in the movie.
How was Anakin's fall built in the EU?
Old 08-13-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I didn't like the prequels then, I still don't now, but I've long since gotten over them. Well, forgotten about them, really. Life's too short to continue harping on failures from the past.
Old 08-13-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 206 Posts

I hated that Lucas caved into pressure...
Yeah, if there's one frustrating thing about the Star Wars movies its that Lucas is known for caving into pressure.
Old 08-13-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
How was Anakin's fall built in the EU?
In the books you got a lot of internal conflict built over the course of several stories, namely the AOTC novelization, Outbound Flight, and Labyrinth of Evil. It is obvious from reading these (as well as watching the Clone Wars cartoons) that Anakin was just one step away from the dark side and was never fully following the righteous path. It also gives much better detail of the friendship between Obi-Wan and Anakin. The books make it obvious they are good friends, whereas the movies makes it seem like they are at odds for the most part.
Old 08-13-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, fixing the prequels would have been very easy:

1. Remove all kiddie/cartoony/poodoo "humor", and bring the tone and humor back to what it was in ANH and ESB.

2. Recast both young and older Annakin.

3. Spend about an hour on each script making the dialogue sound more natural, and have the actors do a couple more takes if necessary.

4. No CGI figures in lightsaber fights---only real actors and stunts. (this would include no Yoda fighting with a lightsaber)

That would have just about done it for me.

(Oh, and remove the stupid, weirdly offensive ethnic accents of some of the alien races)
Old 08-13-13, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I didn't like the prequels then, I still don't now, but I've long since gotten over them. Well, forgotten about them, really. Life's too short to continue harping on failures from the past.
That's what I find interesting about these two videos, they aren't focused on pointing out/sneering at the bad things in the prequels, but constructivly suggesting how a better movie could have been built. The most devestating part of the PM one is how very little really needed to be changed to make a more satisfying, perhaps excellent, movie. The first video is mostly about story structure, and a very interesting watch.
Old 08-13-13, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
2. Recast both young and older Annakin.
We didn't need to see Baby Vader at all. He should have been 19-20 when we first saw him in TPM like Luke was when we first saw him in ANH.
Old 08-14-13, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've said this before, but IMHO Star Wars crashed and burned with Return of the Jedi. What a letdown. Seems now it gets a pass because of the prequels. I didn't expect much from the prequels, I enjoyed TPM, flawed, but an AWESOME score. AOC was a bore with a minimalist score (curse you Ben Burtt, your sound effects are not more important than music)
Old 08-14-13, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was "good" it would be a downgrade.

Episode II was GREAT!

You got some excellent Fett action and the last forty minutes can't be beat!
Old 08-14-13, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Sarcasm, right?
Old 08-14-13, 04:13 AM
Banned

People often say the romance between Anakin and Padme was ridiculous, but they either forget or ignore the story model Lucas always went back to. "Star Wars" was always intended as an opera-like fantasy, where ideas like open emotions and chivalry weren't considered out-dated. Everything in all six films - writing, directing, acting, choreography, music - was deliberately crafted to reflect the "simpler time" motif, when most people weren't obsessed with the complicated.
Old 08-14-13, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On the other hand, people often say the romance between Anakin and Padme was ridiculous, because it was.
Old 08-14-13, 04:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne View Post
On the other hand, people often say the romance between Anakin and Padme was ridiculous, because it was.
By what standard?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.