Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-13, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Uh, I think he IS telling you that it's anime influenced. In anime they all look like that. In this DC flick they look like that, because they ARE anime influenced.
And Im saying it looks like garbage. There are some nicely done scenes, yes, but the art direction/character designs are awful.
Old 08-15-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Finally saw this today and enjoyed it a great deal. I never read the comic series so a lot of the alterations were surprising for me. I feel they really pushed the PG-13 into what should have earned them an R-rating. I wonder if the MPAA will be so lenient next time.

This could have easily been a live action movie though I'm sure the violence would have been toned down considerably if the wanted to make it a theatrical release.

Originally Posted by nando820
I read somewhere that there was supposed to be an extended cut or rated r version of WW released but since it didn't sell as well it got scratched. Also I agree with the rest WW along with Under the Red and now Flaspoint are among the best output from DC animated although I do like them all
I remember that. It would have happened if WB had felt that the PG-13 version had sold well. I really enjoyed it and am surprised to realize it's not in my BD collection. I need to correct that mistake.
Old 08-16-13, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
You must not be much a Flash fan because Reverse-Flash/Zoom, Captain Boomerang, Heat Wave, and Mirror Master are all classic Flash rogues.

Etrigan the Demon isn't that minor of a character really. He had several appearances in Bruce Timm's DCAU.

The kids were new characters introduced in Flashpoint, so not knowing them is understandable. Basically the Flashpoint version of Captain Marvel isn't just Billy Batson shouting "SHAZAM!!" to transform into Captain Marvel, but rather all those kids together turn into Captain Marvel kind of like all the lions come together to form Voltron. It was a pretty stupid change.
To be fair, the whole Thawne/Zoom/Reverse Flash thing is super super confusing, even (or maybe especially) in the comics.

My main complaint about the anime style is what I said earlier: they don't even show any screenshots on the packaging, so someone who picks this off the shelf with just the artwork to go by is going to be a little shocked.
Old 08-16-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
No.
Spoiler:
During the first 4 issues, Barry believes it's the Reverse Flash. In Issue #5, it was revealed that Barry caused the rift in time by attempting to save his mother. When he ran back in time, he ripped apart the timelines of those closest to him - The Justice League. He makes this revelation right before Zoom is killed by Batman Sr.

I decided to look up some info and taffer is technically right.
Spoiler:
Thawne had gone back in time to kill Barry's mother. Barry then went back to correct that but since he was an amateur at time travel he then created the rift that led us to the alternate timeline. Afterwards, Barry tried to set things right but was losing his memories in the process which led us to the New 52.

So, although the major changes were Barry's fault, the initial change that started the whole mess was caused by Thawne.
Old 08-16-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Neither Redbox nor Blockbuster have this yet, apparently.
Old 08-16-13, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by antspawn
That looks fucking horrible. Was it Rob Liefeld that made this?
Originally Posted by fujishig
Haven't seen the movie yet, but at least in the comic
Spoiler:

In the alternate universe, Wonder Woman was to get married to Aquaman but something happened resulting in war between Themyscira and Atlantis; I believe Flashpoint starts years into this war.

It's also important to note that Wonder Woman is sometimes portrayed as an Amazon who has no problem with war or killing if it's for the greater good. So she's not always the nicest person in the world, even though she is also sometimes represented as an ambassador of peace.

Flashpoint was basically DC's version of Age of Apocalypse, complete with Kubert art, a what if tale caused by someone messing with time travel, with one person from the "real" universe trying to make things right.
In regards to the Comic series and it's tie-ins, the war between Aquaman and Wonder Woman goes something like this...

Spoiler:
A younger Arthur (Aquaman) rescues a younger Diana (Wonder Woman) from a sea monster, leading the two to fall in love. They plan to marry, merging their two kingdoms, and going public with them, but not everyone in the Atlantis and Amazonian camps are happy about this. Arthur's brother Orm (Ocean Master), conspires with Amazonia Artemis to kill Diana and blame it on the Atlantean's - thereby stopping the marriage. Their deceit is discovered by Arthur's protege Garth, who tries to stop Atemis from killing Diana at the wedding, but in their struggle, the trident she was going to use kill Diana strikes her mother Hippolyta instead, killing her. Atemis kills Garth, and then blames Hippolyta's death on him, as it was his trident she used as the murder weapon. Even though it was not the villains initial plan, it achieves the same end result, and the marriage is stopped, while war breaks out between the two kingdoms. There's a bit more, but that's the central conflict.

I wish they could have shown at least some of this in the movie, but with the 70 odd minute running time, it's undrestandable that they didn't. Also, most of this story get's told outside of the main Flashpoint series, in the tie-in minis that ran alongside it - "Flashpoint: Emperor Aquaman" and "Flashpoint: Wonder Woman & The Furies".

Incidentally, the Batman tie-in mini series that accompanied Flashpoint - "Flashpoint: Batman Knight of Vengeance" - could have made an excellent movie in and of itself.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it, despite some of the story changes, yet as mentioned above, I get why they did what they did, Only other thing I wasn't too crazy about was the animation. It wasn't terrible, but could have been better.

Lastly, I'm going to have to watch the Wonder Woman movie again. I always hear people rave about and praise it, but from my memories, it was just ok. In the grand scheme of DC animated movies, and i own most of them, it falls somewhere more in the middle for me.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 08-16-13 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-16-13, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I also thought the WW movie was average, at best. But that may be due to my not caring for the character whatsoever.
Old 08-16-13, 09:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Incidentally, the Batman tie-in mini series that accompanied Flashpoint - "Flashpoint: Batman Knight of Vengeance" - could have made an excellent movie in and of itself.
Yeah, that miniseries was badass and would make a great movie, especially since
Spoiler:
Martha Wayne as Joker was only barely hinted at in this movie
Old 08-16-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

In the grand scheme of DC animated movies, and i own most of them, it falls somewhere more in the middle for me.
That's where it is for me as well, and I think I own all of them.
Old 08-17-13, 12:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
I also thought the WW movie was average, at best. But that may be due to my not caring for the character whatsoever.
Probably due to you being a misogynist.
Old 08-17-13, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Wonder Woman has a more polished script behind it, since it was first intended as a script for an actual Wonder Woman movie. Flashpoint needed another 20 to 30 minutes of scenes to flesh out the details behind several critical plot elements, especially if one weren't already familiar with current DC history.

Saying that, I still thought it was the single best animated DC movie to date. I just wish DC and Geoff Johns hadn't messed with Barry's emotional background story so much.
Old 08-17-13, 06:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Probably due to you being a misogynist.
Mod note: any more posts of this nature, and you'll find yourself on vacation from this forum...
Old 08-17-13, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
Mod note: any more posts of this nature, and you'll find yourself on vacation from this forum...
Got it. Can't post anything truthful.
Old 08-17-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Got it. Can't post anything truthful.
*yawn*
Old 08-19-13, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This thread made me revisit the Wonder Woman movie. It holds up well and definitely could have been a live action feature. I would love to read the script before it was adapted to a shorter runtime. The finished product is good but it does feel condensed at times.
Old 08-19-13, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Only other thing I wasn't too crazy about was the animation. It wasn't terrible, but could have been better.
Then don't watch Superman Unbound because that's the low point so far.
Old 08-19-13, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
This thread made me revisit the Wonder Woman movie. It holds up well and definitely could have been a live action feature. I would love to read the script before it was adapted to a shorter runtime. The finished product is good but it does feel condensed at times.
Me, too. While it was better than I remembered, I still wouldn't exactly rate it as high as some have.

Originally Posted by cleaver
Then don't watch Superman Unbound because that's the low point so far.
Have to admit, that was the first DC Animated movie I didn't even bother with. I've heard very few positive things about it.
Old 08-19-13, 09:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

i'm gonna get this (WW) out now and put it in the queue!
Old 08-19-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Have to admit, that was the first DC Animated movie I didn't even bother with. I've heard very few positive things about it.
I've heard it's great but the art style really turns me off.
Old 08-27-13, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy code of Primus, that was black as hell's gate and Mordor dark! If they're trying to prove that they can still do dark stuff with Timm gone, mission accomplished. I'm sure that Darwyn Cooke would have plenty to rant about. I'm not entirely sure if it wasn't gratuitously dark, to be honest. Fairly certain this won't end up on Toonami, I can just see the firestorm when some parent buys this for the kid. Character designs and even some stylings felt rather anime-esque, some of the character designs were so lanky they felt like Peter Chung, and had some Leifeld-Esque muscles. God, one of the darkest American animated films I've seen, pretty bloody, kind of surprised they swung the PG-13. I thought threatening the kids was really over the line. Grifter in an animated movie in the DCU, how exceedingly odd. Though I'm sure post-New 52, it's happened in the comics and I just don't know about it yet. God, that was dark.

I'm always in for some Kevin Conroy as Batman, even though he only had a dozen lines. That moment with Thomas' letter at the end was pretty beautiful. Phalanx of storyboard guys, wonder if they really put a lot of resources into the production or what. Adam Van Wyck remains as manic as ever. Didn't feel as knocked out by the layouts and set pieces as I did in the DCAU days, but maybe I just miss Joaquim dos Santos' dynamic direction.

No extras on the stinking Redbox version, as usual.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 10-17-16 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-27-13, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I barely remember The Wild C.A.T.s so I assumed that Grifter was supposed to be an alternate reality version of Jason Todd (although I wondered why he was blonde).

As for his being a part of the DCU, Wikipedia says the following:

Old 08-27-13, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah Wildstorm got folded into the DCU with Flashpoint. Its why Martian Manhunter is hanging out with Midnighter now.
Old 08-28-13, 04:51 AM
Banned

Vertigo got folded into the main DCU as well. So former Vertigo characters like Constantine, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Madame Xanadu, etc are in the main DCU now, and most of them have joined together to create the Justice League Dark, which is a more supernatural/horror themed version of the Justice League.

In the Flashpoint comic series, the main DCU, Vertigo, and Wildstorm are clearly shown folding into each other as Flash races to "fix" the timeline. Its not really shown that well in the animated movie unfortunately. Also, the comic introduces a new character named Pandora (who is later revealed to be the actual Pandora from Greek mythology) who is the one actually responsible for causing the three universes to fold together.

Also, if you thought the Flashpoint story was dark, try reading the Flashpoint: Batman Knight of Vengeance spin-off miniseries. Its even darker and better than the main story. Its all about Thomas Wayne/Batman and Martha Wayne/Joker.
Old 08-28-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Err... Constantine, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, and Madame Xanadu (as well as Morpheus/Sandman) all originated in the DCU... but you're right that they had Vertigo (or pre-Vertigo) series largely unconnected to the DCU for many years. And Constantine existed as completely different characters in the new 52 universe (a younger version) and in Vertigo in Hellblazer, before they cancelled the latter. But Vertigo still exists as a separate imprint, with stuff like Fables and American Vampire.

But yeah, DC absorbed Wildstorm like they did Milestone, Charlton, Fawcett, etc. before it.
Old 08-28-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Holy code of Primus, that was black as hell's gate and Mordor dark! If they're trying to prove that they can still do dark stuff with Timm gone, mission accomplished. I'm are Darwyn Cooke would have plenty to rant about. I'm not entirely sure if it was gratuitously dark, to be honest. Fairly certain this won't end up on Toonami, I can just see the firestorm when some parent buys this for the kid. Character designs and even some stylings felt rather anime-esque, some of the character designs were so lanky they felt like Peter Chung. God, one of the darkest American animated films I've seen, pretty bloody, kind of surprised they swung the PG-13. I thought threatening the kids was really over the line. Grifter in an animated movie in the DCU, how exceedingly odd. Though I'm sure post-New 52, it's happened in the comics and I just don't know about it yet. God, that was dark.
I was also very surprised Flashpoint only earned a PG-13 rating. I guess kids these days are so inundated with violent videogames that the bar has been moved as to what is acceptable.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 08-28-13 at 01:25 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.