Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Originally Posted by brayzie
Barbara/Batgirl shouldn't have been shot through the spine and sexually assaulted by the Joker in-continuity. Maybe Moore doesn't think Barbara should have been Batgirl anymore
Moore never intended The Killing Joke to be in-continuity, and the permanent crippling of Barbara was set up by editorial and other writers.
Old 12-10-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Both Stephanie and Cassandra were fan-favorites as Batgirl. Some people say they didn't sell well, but I'm not really sure how true that really is. How could they be fan-favorites and not sell well? That seems contradictory.
Probably that the comics didn't sell well, but the small amount of people who did buy the comics were very vocal.

I heard Cassandra was a cool Batgirl but visually, I thought she had a poor design.

Stephanie was Robin during the War Games/War Crimes storyarc. I don't recall who the writer was then, but it was in the early 2000s. It was after Hush, but before Morrison came on board and introduced Damian. That whole period really wasn't a good time for Batman comics.
It was a bunch of people but among them was Devin Grayson and Greg Rucka.
Off topic but I also really disliked those Chip Kidd Batman title treatments. He does great work but that particular effort made the whole Bat-line look really boring.
Old 12-10-14, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably that the comics didn't sell well, but the small amount of people who did buy the comics were very vocal.

I heard Cassandra was a cool Batgirl but visually, I thought she had a poor design.

It was a bunch of people but among them was Devin Grayson and Greg Rucka.
Off topic but I also really disliked those Chip Kidd Batman title treatments. He does great work but that particular effort made the whole Bat-line look really boring.
Oh yeah... Devin Grayson... the same person who wrote the story of Nightwing getting raped and claiming it wasn't rape because men always desire sex and therefore cannot be raped.
Old 12-10-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Preterite
Moore never intended The Killing Joke to be in-continuity, and the permanent crippling of Barbara was set up by editorial and other writers.
Wasn't it originally an Elseworlds book, or at least intended to be? Especially given that some people think the ending implies

Spoiler:
that Batman kills the Joker by breaking his neck?

Oh yeah... Devin Grayson... the same person who wrote the story of Nightwing getting raped and claiming it wasn't rape because men always desire sex and therefore cannot be raped.
I'm seriously disturbed now. Hadn't heard about that one .

Both Stephanie and Cassandra were fan-favorites as Batgirl. Some people say they didn't sell well, but I'm not really sure how true that really is. How could they be fan-favorites and not sell well? That seems contradictory. Stephanie was Robin during the War Games/War Crimes storyarc. I don't recall who the writer was then, but it was in the early 2000s. It was after Hush, but before Morrison came on board and introduced Damian. That whole period really wasn't a good time for Batman comics.
Which Batgirl was the lesbian introduced in 52? I remember that maintain waves in the media.
Old 12-10-14, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Katherine Kane... Batwoman. She and Montoya had a thing.

I fucking loved Montoya. Especially as a kid. Hispanic character, female, strong, and pretty damn cool.
Old 12-10-14, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I'm seriously disturbed now. Hadn't heard about that one .
Yep. It was fucked up to say the least. Here's a scan of it if you dare to look. (There's nothing too graphic.) It is from Nightwing #93. Nightwing is injured and barely conscious and the chick just starts riding him. The author defended it, saying it wasn't rape because men cannot be raped.

Spoiler:

Which Batgirl was the lesbian introduced in 52? I remember that maintain waves in the media.
That is Batwoman, not Batgirl. Katerine Kane is Batwoman. She was actually introduced in the 50s. Then she disappeared for decades, only to reappear randomly in 2006 following Infinite Crisis.
Old 12-10-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,570 Posts

No, they also did it because Cassandra Batgirl and Spoiler Batgirl weren't catching on and weren't selling. They didn't want to let the Batgirl name go out of use and copyright so they finally resorted to bringing back Barbara for a few reasons, partly because of the iconic status you mentioned, partly because they needed a sales boost, and partly because they tried other Batgirls and they weren't successful.

They didn't de-age Dick Grayson because even hardcore comic fans weren't clamoring for him to become Robin again. Most were perfectly fine with Tim Drake, and Damien became pretty popular as Robin IV.
The Brian Q. Miller run was really good, before it was wiped out of continuity. But nobody (but me) was reading DC comics at the time, and JMS was seemingly simultaneously ruining Wonder Woman and Superman.

Were they really going to lose the rights to Batgirl if they didn't publish a comic with her name on it? To my knowledge, it wasn't a Wonder Woman situation, and even if the character wasn't popular enough to have her own book, as long as she was used every once in a while isn't that enough to keep copyright? It's not like Barbara was starring in her own best selling book for years and years before Killing Joke.

And the current, post Gail Simone Batgirl might as well be an Elseworlds itself.
Old 12-10-14, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

I believe (and I may be wrong here), that they have to publish a Batgirl comic every so often to keep the Trademark on the name, but the copyright should be good as long as a character with that name is being used on a somewhat regular basis in any book.

Or maybe it's the other way around.
Old 12-10-14, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I believe (and I may be wrong here), that they have to publish a Batgirl comic every so often to keep the Trademark on the name, but the copyright should be good as long as a character with that name is being used on a somewhat regular basis in any book.

Or maybe it's the other way around.
How can that possibly be true? Batgirl never even got her own comic until 2000. She was created in 1961, she she went 40 years without a comic.
Old 12-10-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Generally, DC and Marvel will release a one-shot or a mini to keep their Trademarks active. Once in awhlie, we'll get a short-lived ongoing series. I think the whole Trademark thing was kind of squishy during the early years. When DC released Shazam! in the early 70s, they boldly proclaimed "The Original Captain Marvel" on the cover. Something Marvel wouldn't stand for at all now.

As long as Batgirl popped up on a cover once in awhile, she was fine. She had regular (cover) appearances in the Batman Family title from the 70s and again when it moved over to Detective Comics. The character was going to "retire" after Crisis on Infinite Earths and DC released the Batgirl Special a month or so before Killing Joke hit. In the Special, she gave up the cowl.

She had plenty of marketing back then too on stickers and Mego figures.
Old 12-10-14, 07:06 PM
Banned

Yeah, I remember there was a Batgirl Special one-shot issue in 1988. Then Batgirl was never used again until Cassandra Cain was introduced and became Batgirl in 2000. So that's 12 years with no Batgirl. If the thing about losing the trademark/copyright is true, then it seems like DC would have lost it in those 12 years. That's a pretty long time to let it go.
Old 12-10-14, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Plus, after killing joke, there was a long time when there was no Batgirl, right? Or did BTAS cover that or something?

Now Wonder Woman, they had to keep publishing in a lead feature at least four times a year or lose the rights to the Marston family. Busiek explained that that's why he had to write a Wonder Woman standalone mini after Crisis, since George Perez's revamp wasn't out yet. They've since bought the rights completely, but it's also why they kept publishing WW comics even when sales were terrible, because the rights to the character trumped whatever losses they would have.

edited to add: Taffer beat me to it about the Batgirl hiatus. Also Supergirl was gone for a while after Crisis too.
Old 12-10-14, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
edited to add: Taffer beat me to it about the Batgirl hiatus. Also Supergirl was gone for a while after Crisis too.
Yep. Barbara was still in the comics as Oracle, but there was no more Batgirl until Cassandra Cain was introduced 12 years later.

Supergirl was actually only gone for a year or two. Remember John Byrne created the Matrix Supergirl early on in his run.
Old 12-10-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 784 Likes on 378 Posts

I don't think they can lose the trademark to the character by not publishing a comic with her name on it, but they can loose the right to publish a comic with her name on the cover. If they let it slip, another publisher could technically publish a comic called "Batgirl" with a completely different character in the lead. This is how Marvel got the "Captain Marvel" comic and DC can't print comics titled "Captain Marvel" even though they still own the original character.
Old 12-10-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I don't think they can lose the trademark to the character by not publishing a comic with her name on it, but they can loose the right to publish a comic with her name on the cover. If they let it slip, another publisher could technically publish a comic called "Batgirl" with a completely different character in the lead. This is how Marvel got the "Captain Marvel" comic and DC can't print comics titled "Captain Marvel" even though they still own the original character.
Really? So I could publish a comic called "Nightwing" because they don't have one right now?
Old 12-10-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 784 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Really? So I could publish a comic called "Nightwing" because they don't have one right now?
I know that's how the Captain Marvel thing happened, I don't know if things have changed since then. But even if it is still the case, they would have to have not published anything with his name in the title for a certain period of time, and your character would have to be different enough to not be deemed a knock off of DC's character.
Old 12-10-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 834 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
That is basically the gist of the situation regarding the trademark right to call a comic a certain title. Copyright covers the Batgirl we know from DC, no one else could publish their own version of that character in comic book form. But trademark on comic book covers runs far shorter and has different standards. DC does not need to publish a running series for the character, they can keep the trademark with a mini or even one-shot special.

If DC doesn't publish a Character X comic for a number of years (I don't know the specific term but it's not as long as you imagine), someone else could publish a comic calling itself Batgirl and steal the cover trademark away from DC. That imposter Batgirl couldn't infringe on Barbara Gordon or anything associated with the DC version, but if they published a female version of Man-Bat and titled it Batgirl, they would now have the trademark for comic book covers. It would have nothing to do with our Batgirl, but DC would not be able to call Barbara's comic Batgirl any longer. Most of this can be seen with the Captain Marvel/Shazam situation.
Old 12-10-14, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Barbara/Batgirl shouldn't have been shot through the spine and sexually assaulted by the Joker in-continuity.
I haven't visited this thread in awhile ... I am thoroughly disgusted to learn they have cast Bill Cosby as the Joker.
Old 12-10-14, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I haven't visited this thread in awhile ... I am thoroughly disgusted to learn they have cast Bill Cosby as the Joker.
No, Bill Cosby has been cast as Dr. Light in the Justice League movie...too soon?
Old 12-11-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

No wonder he's forgotten about all those women.
Old 12-11-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
No, Bill Cosby has been cast as Dr. Light in the Justice League movie...too soon?
The heroes thought throwing those pudding pies at the villains was distracting them, but it was only making them stronger!
Old 12-11-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I know I shouldn't laugh but...
Old 12-11-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Touché.
Old 12-11-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Old 12-15-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

A few possible plot points, and fallout from MOS

Spoiler:
I've told you a bunch about Batman in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice*, but not much about Superman. I don't want to give you the impression that this is Batman's movie - it's very much a sequel to Man of Steel, and it very much follows up on stuff from that movie in big ways. In fact Chris Terrio's script - at least a draft from just before production began - deals explicitly with some fan complaints about the last Superman film.

Batman v Superman opens with Batman's origin and fast forwards to Bruce Wayne coming to Metropolis during the Superman/Zod fight, but that's just setting the stage for that character. From there the script turns its attention to Superman heavily, and it examines the implications of Superman in the real world. The main action takes place a couple of years after the end of Man of Steel, and Superman has been busy in the meantime, becoming the hero we know and love. Clark Kent and Lois Lane have moved their relationship forward to the point where they live together. Clark is still working at the Daily Planet, although it's unclear if he's loving his assignments - he's tasked with covering a Metropolis/Gotham football game when he would rather be writing about Batman.

Very early in the film Lois is in the Middle East following a story when Superman shows up to help her out. This becomes something of an international incident as other nations view Superman as a tool of the United States. China, for instance, doesn't want him in their air space. It's an interesting look at how a being like Superman would be viewed on a global scale.

What are the lessons that Superman learned from Man of Steel? Some slight spoilers follow.

When Superman confronts a big bad guy and unravels his plot, he tells the villain, "I won't snap your neck, I'm going to take you to prison," an on-the-nose response to criticisms of the first movie. Of course Superman later loses his cool and threatens to break the bad guy's back, so he hasn't quite internalized everything yet.

As for being a protector of the people - when the Doomsday fight starts General Swanwick tells the military that Superman will move the battle away from populated areas because he's a hero, and that's what heroes do. Again, this is a direct response to complaints about the first film. It's also interesting to see that Swanwick, who was tracking Superman with drones at the end of Man of Steel, is such a supporter in this film. It seems that most people - except Lex Luthor and a cautious Batman, who is prepping anti-Superman weapons - believe Superman is a hero.

A caveat on this, and my previous Batman reporting - this information comes from a script that was handed in a month before principal photography began. While the broad strokes surely will make it into the film, small details like dialogue and character moments could be cut from the script or in the editing room before the movie reaches theaters.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/12/15/f...an-v-superman/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.