Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)
10.68%
8.74%
20.39%
19.42%
11.65%
9.71%
6.80%
3.88%
2.91%
2.91%
2.91%
Man of Steely Convictions
0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Oh, it will. In fact, the disc itself will be made of steel.
But, will it kill people?
Old 07-16-13, 03:17 PM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by van der graaf
But, will it kill people?
What people? All those buildings are obviously empty! Duh!
Old 07-16-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,186 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
What human casualties?

What human character did we see die on screen? You can imagine that millions died all you want, but that'll always just be what it is, your imagination.
Dude, I liked the movie but even I won't deny there was a lot of human casualties. They may have not been intentionally caused by Superman but they definitely happened there's no way around it. Just because we didn't see people on screen dying I think it's logical to assume that those buildings were likely not completely empty. Personally my thoughts are while there was a lot of destruction during his fight with Zod it really wasn't anything that he had a ton of control over.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-16-13 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-16-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure I'm dying to wade into this again, but I also took it that the buildings near the terraforming thingie had been evacuated. At a minimum, it was implied when they evacuated the Daily Planet.
Old 07-16-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

I also assumed most of the buildings had been evacuated by then.
Old 07-16-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Oooooh, do you double dare? The tornado scene had no humor unless you count the laughably stupid way Pa Kent died.
Yes. It was.
I also, honestly, involuntarily laughed at Zod's first scene and Shannon's line reading.
The dialogues bombastic urgency to dispense exposition and Shannon's essaying of Goyer's tortured, florid prose - with the intercutting of the reaction shots of the council members wearing those ridiculously ornate chandeliers- made the entire scene come across like a parody of itself.

this film really got off on a bad foot with me and never recovered.

Wasn't going to bother posting this since it seemed like conversation had died down- but a friend of mine just did a one page comic on the stuff in the movie that rubbed her the wrong way. She's a big science nerd so these things stuck out at her. She said reaction has been pretty negative to it and I can actually understand that a little as picking on the science aspects of what is clearly a fantasy film seems a little misguided. Especially one that already displays so many glaring problems in terms of basic character logic and motivation.

anyways here it is for anyone interested.
Old 07-16-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Weren't Perry and the rest still in the Daily Planet building when the terraforming began? I also seem to remember people bouncing off the ground when it first started. I'm not 100% sure, though. Certainly the people in the Daily Planet weren't far enough away to be out of danger, and they were basically very lucky that only that one girl got trapped.

How far away was the museum where Superman fought Zod? It can't have been that far away, since Lois presumably ran there. And there were people there.

Not that they addressed any of that, the filmmakers did seem to want to gloss over any kind of ramifications of the destruction. We basically cut to what must have been a year or so later, when Clark Kent gets a job at the refurbished Daily Planet and at the very least the local stadium has been rebuilt for ball games.

edited to add:
As for the science stuff, I do think we have to suspend disbelief with comic book movie science. For instance, even though they call it a singularity it's basically a portal to the Phantom Zone, isn't it (which I still don't quite understand, because they escaped from the Phantom Zone earlier). I did have a problem with the power thing, which I stated earlier, because I don't understand how the sunlight gave them powers, but the atmosphere took it away somehow, so that the Kryptonians in suits had access to super strength and invulnerability but not the vision/hearing powers. Or why Zod would want to terraform the world into an environment where he didn't have as many powers. Or why Jor-El injected all this Kryptonian DNA into Kal when his whole argument was that Kal was special because he was conceived outside of that environment and could choose what he wanted... if he did repopulate the Kryptonian race, what was he going to do, be Adam and try to make sure the next generation was born naturally, hoping that Kryptonian DNA can survive inbreeding?

But for the sake of the story, Zod had to be adamant about destroying humanity and have no leeway in terms of allowing the humans to live, so that Superman's choice would be obvious. There needed to be a way for Lois and the humans to deal with the Kryptonian ship while Superman dealt with the World Engine, so they needed that whole Jor-El pulls a deus ex machina out of his hat to give them something to do (even though hey, they're going up against Kryptonians with superior technology and powers). They needed a way to depower Superman on Zod's ship, and a way to give Superman an advantage against Zod when the helmet came off.

Last edited by fujishig; 07-16-13 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-16-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 321 Posts

When normal humans can outrun falling skyscrapers, there will be no human casualties --- that should have been the assumption for this movie.
Old 07-16-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Oh, it will. In fact, the disc itself will be made of steel.
Then we're already dead.
Old 07-16-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Weren't Perry and the rest still in the Daily Planet building when the terraforming began? I also seem to remember people bouncing off the ground when it first started. I'm not 100% sure, though. Certainly the people in the Daily Planet weren't far enough away to be out of danger, and they were basically very lucky that only that one girl got trapped.

How far away was the museum where Superman fought Zod? It can't have been that far away, since Lois presumably ran there. And there were people there.

Not that they addressed any of that, the filmmakers did seem to want to gloss over any kind of ramifications of the destruction. We basically cut to what must have been a year or so later, when Clark Kent gets a job at the refurbished Daily Planet and at the very least the local stadium has been rebuilt for ball games.
That's not how I took it. I assumed it was fairly shortly after that Clark got the job at The Daily Planet. I think some people are over-assessing the damage actually done to Metropolis. It seemed pretty contained to a general area and it's not like the entire city was destroyed. It could be they have a stadium that wasn't in the vicinity of the damage.
Old 07-16-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
That's not how I took it. I assumed it was fairly shortly after that Clark got the job at The Daily Planet. I think some people are over-assessing the damage actually done to Metropolis. It seemed pretty contained to a general area and it's not like the entire city was destroyed. It could be they have a stadium that wasn't in the vicinity of the damage.
I could have sworn I saw the entire skyline devastated when Supes returns from doing whatever it was he did with the world engine.
Old 07-16-13, 04:07 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Wasn't going to bother posting this since it seemed like conversation had died down- but a friend of mine just did a one page comic on the stuff in the movie that rubbed her the wrong way. She's a big science nerd so these things stuck out at her. She said reaction has been pretty negative to it and I can actually understand that a little as picking on the science aspects of what is clearly a fantasy film seems a little misguided. Especially one that already displays so many glaring problems in terms of basic character logic and motivation.

anyways here it is for anyone interested.
Probably a negative reaction because that comic is not funny and doesn't even come close to explaining anything scientifically.

He/she/it is named Professor Science, but it goes on to school us about morality and Jesus connections? And comparing the black hole by using a Star Trek reference with Planet Vulcan? There's nothing scientific about the comic. And Man of Steel is not the first major movie to be promoted to Church folk. Les Miserables, The Blind Side, Soul Surfer did as well, to name a few. Who gives a shit where a film is promoted? Why should Professor Science care about marketing practices?
Old 07-16-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I could have sworn I saw the entire skyline devastated when Supes returns from doing whatever it was he did with the world engine.
Metropolis is supposed to be pretty huge right? I somehow doubt that the entire city was shown and was all destroyed. A good chunk of what looked to be a central point of the city but not all of it. I could be wrong but that's how I took it.
Old 07-16-13, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Metropolis is supposed to be pretty huge right? I somehow doubt that the entire city was shown and was all destroyed. A good chunk of what looked to be a central point of the city but not all of it. I could be wrong but that's how I took it.
Didn't the Daily Planet get destroyed, though?

While searching for pics of the destruction, I came across this:
http://metropolismayhem.manofsteel.com/

Fly Superman through Metropolis and earn points by collecting the power-ups. Use your heat vision to destroy any obstacles that you cannot avoid.

When you hit 5 obstacles the game is over.
That's gotta be a joke site someone put up after the movie came out, right?
Old 07-16-13, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As I've said before, I really liked the movie and don't think it makes sense to pick apart, but I generally like these guys, so I'll share:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CjSNLmb0Ndw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-17-13, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those guys should make the next one.

Or, at least be given a copy of the script in advance of shooting so they can fix up garbage like this from happening to begin with.
Old 07-17-13, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 678 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
As I've said before, I really liked the movie and don't think it makes sense to pick apart, but I generally like these guys, so I'll share:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CjSNLmb0Ndw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I really enjoyed Man Of Steel but that was great. I also enjoy the old video they had done spoofing the Reeve movie:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yavK0mnE3wI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-17-13, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Not sure I'm dying to wade into this again, but I also took it that the buildings near the terraforming thingie had been evacuated. At a minimum, it was implied when they evacuated the Daily Planet.
Originally Posted by RichC2
I also assumed most of the buildings had been evacuated by then.
Exactly

I have been watching Godzilla/Giant Monster films since the 70's. I guess my brain has ALWAYS gone under the assumption that people were evacuated for the most part. Unless, of course, a scene was specifically done to show someone didn't make it. That's not to say that I never think about people.

That's probably why I don't totally understand the "Too Much Destruction" complaint. I can't relate due to years of just accepting that it is what it is in G-Films.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-18-13 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-17-13, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,184 Posts

I hear Faorah is coming back to the Superman Comics. I think the MoS version/Antje Traue has a growing fanbase.
Old 07-17-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Exactly

I have been watching Godzilla/Giant Monster films since the 70's. I guess my brain has ALWAYS gone under the assumption that people were evacuated for the most part. Unless, of course, a scene was specifically done to show someone didn't make it. That's not to say that I never think about people,

That's probably why I don't totally understand the "Too Much Destruction" complaint. I can't relate due to years of just accepting that it is what it is in G-Films.
I guess this probably does make sense that the buildings were mostly evacuated. Still I'm guessing there were some deaths even though they weren't seen. I find it hard to believe that all the people in that area would have been able to get out of the area to safety in time.
Old 07-17-13, 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I hear Faorah is coming back to the Superman Comics. I think the MoS version/Antje Traue has a growing fanbase.
Yeah, she's pretty much entirely based on the actress, even though Zod is clearly not based on Shannon.

Spoiler:
Old 07-17-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess this probably does make sense that the buildings were mostly evacuated. Still I'm guessing there were some deaths even though they weren't seen. I find it hard to believe that all the people in that area would have been able to get out of the area to safety in time.
The ones that didn't get evacuated where likely killed when you saw the World Engine levitating people and then slamming them into the ground (along with cars, trucks, etc).

Although, given those LexCorp trucks were intact it's likely people in that particular area were not immediately affected and likely got out.

In any case, as Giantrobo pointed out, the rule of thumb with movies that show epic disasters is that people made it out of all standing buildings in time unless specifically shown still stuck inside said buildings.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-18-13 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-18-13, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually took it that the Daily Planet was one of the last to evacuate the area, which is the only thing that made it heroic for them to stay to free their coworker. No doubt there were many deaths, but most, I would think, were before the fight scene when the machine first landed and started up.

Also, the animated series has very similar destruction, often without any implied evacuation, and I would think that most here hold it in very high esteem. I personally think it's the best version of Superman ever put on screen.
Old 07-18-13, 01:28 PM
Banned

Also, the animated series has very similar destruction, often without any implied evacuation, and I would think that most here hold it in very high esteem. I personally think it's the best version of Superman ever put on screen.
The animated series did show a lot of similar destruction. Giantrobo posted a video clip earlier that showed Superman punching Darkseid through several buildings.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BiTWeu0nOKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The comics also frequently show a lot of destruction. I remember in The Death of Superman that Superman and Doomsday fought in the middle of Metropolis causing a lot of destruction. The shockwaves of their punches were causing windows in buildings to shatter. The final scene with Superman dying took place literally right in front of the Daily Planet. Also the destruction enabled Clark to easily explain his absence during the period of time Superman was dead. Clark explained his absence by hiding under a bunch of debris until rescue crews found him.
Old 07-18-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by taffer
Clark explained his absence by hiding under a bunch of debris until rescue crews found him.
Yup. And the Supergirl at the time, Matrix, morphed into Clark Kent so Superman could be seen rescuing Clark Kent personally.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.