Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Man of Steel - The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Man of Steel?
Up, up, and away! It was great!
35.94%
It's a bird! It's a plane! It was good. Not great.
32.29%
This is a job for...not really. It was just ok.
16.15%
Can you read my mind? I didn't like it.
10.94%
I'll wait for it on BD
4.69%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Man of Steel - The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 643 Likes on 495 Posts
Re: Man of Steel - The Reviews Thread

You know, I mostly dislike Zack Snyder's output but it's ridiculous to give all the credit to Nolan (whose films I do enjoy a great deal). By Christopher Nolan's own admission, his only involvement in this movie was penning the first draft of the script with David Goyer. Which is why Nolan and Goyer share a Story credit. However, Nolan abandoned this project immediately after that and only has a producer credit so as to advertise the movie using his name. Nolan has been very hands off this project. Goyer wrote all the subsequent drafts of the script (which is why he also gets a Screenplay credit) and Snyder had final say on everything. Yes, Sucker Punch sucked more than anything has sucked before and it seems also tanked at the box office (the only thing WB cares about) but he also generated enough good will thanks to Watchmen (though lackluster it wasn't outright terrible and almost did the source material justice) which did decent business despite being an R-rated feature based on a comic book that is not widely known by general audiences. So Snyder was free to call the shots on Man of Steel and he did.

The good and the bad should fall squarely on Snyder and Goyer. Nolan deserves little to no credit for anything in this movie (good or bad).
Old 06-11-13, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As God or a god?
Old 06-11-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Put me down in the less-is-more camp. I'm getting tired of big-screen CGI slamfests.
so...you just want to watch Superman type up news stories at the Daily Planet the whole movie?
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put me down in the less-is-more camp. I'm getting tired of big-screen CGI slamfests.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Hitfix review. Especially loved this part:

I was equally impressed by how moving the film is. Almost from the start, I found myself completely hooked in, and there were several places where it broke me. I'm not surprised that Kevin Costner crushes it in scene after scene, and he features in what may be one of the most painful scenes of the summer. Diane Lane as Ma Kent is equally good, a figure of quiet strength who also lands some of the biggest emotional punches. The movie understands that in order for myth to really work, we have to have a human, emotional stake in what's going on, and unlike the Donner films, there is a consistency of tone that builds over the course of the film's running time. There is a sense of urgency that just keeps building and building, and yet even when the film is at its most epic, Snyder keeps bringing the focus back to the personal. The fights, for example, are not just about kinetic motion. Each one has an emotional rhythm, and they mean something. You see Superman and Zod testing each other, and you see Superman slowly starting to realize what he's capable of, and what that means. Because the fights are all driven by character, it never deteriorates into the random chaos and noise that so many modern action films are guilty of.
http://www.hitfix.com/motion-capture...hero-thrills/2
Old 06-11-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,699 Likes on 2,659 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
so...you just want to watch Superman type up news stories at the Daily Planet the whole movie?
Yeah, he would rather remember the good old days when he was a little boy growing up in the 1950's watching this version of Superman instead:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p0B1ufyXOds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-11-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Yup.

I'm glad we are starting to see some negative reviews. I need my expectations tempered. So far I'm reading complaints of dialogue being too clunky/on the nose as far as themes, etc and too much action that goes on too long among other things.

One is more a Goyer thing, the other a Synder- but in this case, both fall on Synders shoulders. He's ultimately responsible for going with dialogue that could more easily be addressed/massaged on the fly.

One thing I am disappointed to hear is that, and expect to be the case since it is fully implied in the trailers, is that there is so much carnage and destruction that this Superman is less concerned with stopping the fight to rescue people. It may not be explicitly shown on camera, but the implication that thousands of people will be killed during these fights can't help being present. Making Superman more of a the kind of warrior who dismisses/ignores/courts collateral damage to win the war, starts to lose an essential essence of the character, imo. I realize it's a tough balancing act because to make this more real you are going to have casualties- especially in an epic battle. It's one of the things that made Superman II seem so insubstantial to me. I know I'm going to be disappointed if this movie takes things too far in the other direction.

Unfortunately, I expect it will be this exact kind of thing that woos the audiences that have always felt this character was too goody goody and boring.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 06-11-13 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-11-13, 01:23 PM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I agree on the need of a balancing act between action and substance. Doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be boring, but an all-out CGI fest numbs the senses after a certain point.
Old 06-11-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish they would make a movie where Clark Kent uncovers some sort of conspiracy in City Hall and he take down the mayor without taking off this glasses. THAT'S the kind of Superman movie people want!
Old 06-11-13, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah, he would rather remember the good old days when he was a little boy growing up in the 1950's watching this version of Superman instead:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p0B1ufyXOds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That's the Superman I want to see, especially at the 1 minute mark here:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tGf1r8-Snss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-11-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I loved that show and fully expect to love this movie too.
Old 06-11-13, 02:40 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope after this movie they never again relate to anything Krypton/Lex for future movies, in any way.
Old 06-11-13, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

moved post over to the other thread

Last edited by Paul_SD; 06-11-13 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-11-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Best Superman ever:

Old 06-11-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Variety's review is pretty negative:
That was written by Scott Foundas. I found a snippet of his review for Superman Returns from Metacritic, where his review was given a score of 100.

Superman Returns is a lush and enthralling piece of adventure storytelling that's both revisionist AND reverential, putting a timely spin on a timeless character without violating his primal appeal.
I think I'll discard his negative take on Man of Steel. I guess we finally found the person who wanted a sequel to the drab Superman Returns.
Old 06-11-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Without defending or attacking MOS, I'll only say that everyone seems to have their own idea of what Superman "should" be, and many can't move outside of that sandbox. There are still people clamoring for BAM! POW! SOCK! Batman with the colorful villains and cheesy puns, for instance. These people should only be split in half with a boat hook.
Old 06-11-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
As God or a god?
I don't want to see Superman being compared to a god or the I Am at all. Calling Superman a god makes him seem unaproachable, ancient, and boring. It sort of destroys the perception in the movie that at any time he can be hurt or destroy.

If Doomsday or Luthor kills him, why worry? Jor-el the father, will raise him back from the dead and the newly rejuvinated Superman will easily take care of the threat the second go-around without breaking a sweat.
Old 06-11-13, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
That's the Superman I want to see, especially at the 1 minute mark here:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tGf1r8-Snss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I prefer this take and the animated Fleischer cartoons, instead of the Superman as god nonsense.
Old 06-11-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts

Good news - it's getting panned by a lot of the "major critics." Given the same critics gave As to IRON MAN 3 and STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS, I'm now hopefully optimistic.
Old 06-11-13, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Without defending or attacking MOS, I'll only say that everyone seems to have their own idea of what Superman "should" be, and many can't move outside of that sandbox.
Agree. I also can't stand posts like: "you don't understand the character at all." Unless your Siegel or Shuster, STFU.
Old 06-11-13, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Agree. I also can't stand posts like: "you don't understand the character at all." Unless your Siegel or Shuster, STFU.
While I'd add Mort Weisinger, Curt Swan, Eliot S! Maggin, John Byrne, Alan Moore and Grant Morrison, I get yer meaning!
Old 06-11-13, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
There are still people clamoring for BAM! POW! SOCK! Batman with the colorful villains and cheesy puns, for instance. These people should only be split in half with a boat hook.
What would the sound effect be for being split in half with a fish hook? SPLISH?
Old 06-11-13, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok then. I guess a Superman that blithely contributes to the deaths of thousands of innocent people because he engages the bad guys is the middle of highly populated urban areas instead of trying to steer the fight somewhere remote- IS a good understanding of the character.

I can take the destruction- but that + no attempt whatsoever to stop the fighting, get people to safety, engage them in some other way- seems to me a very thoughtless reading of the source material designed solely for the "fuck yeah!" crowd. That is going to give me big problems with this, moreso than any other superficial tweak or revision.

That is damn near impossible for me to ultimately embrace.
Old 06-11-13, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know, it's kinda difficult to move the fight elsewhere when you're outnumbered and getting your ass handed to you.
Old 06-11-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The criticisms I'm seeing are not that he couldn't avoid it, but that he willfully engages it. Punching the bad guy through multiple buildings resulting in their collapse is not something the character couldn't avoid. He chooses to do it that way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.