Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

10 Years Since the Year of the Matrix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

10 Years Since the Year of the Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: 10 Years Since the Year of the Matrix

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
I respectfully disagree; some may have picked it up as kids, but they still know its wrong. Others deliberately use it as you described, especially anti-theists who've made it their life's mission to erase God from the public square.

No, but they're both respected religious founders. Of all the different faiths, Jesus was the first to claim divinity, and the only one who proved it.

Uh, no.
Old 05-28-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The Matrix was never anything amazing to me, but it was visually impressive and brought upon a lot of nifty effects tricks (I'm glad bullet time is gone). The Matrix Reloaded is a solid 85 - 90 minute movie trapped in ridiculous bloat. The Matrix Revolutions was just dogshit.

The fact Fast and Furious is bigger than The Matrix now doesn't surprise me at all, The Matrix set the bar high and failed to live up to it. Fast and Furious had nowhere to go but up.
Old 05-28-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that the first movie wasn't all that great either.
Old 05-28-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Can a mod please move this thread to the Youtube comments section?
Old 05-28-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't know how a discussion of The Matrix got derailed into a discussion about religion.
Old 05-28-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

I respectfully disagree; some may have picked it up as kids, but they still know its wrong. Others deliberately use it as you described, especially anti-theists who've made it their life's mission to erase God from the public square.
I doubt that's the plan since the best way to "erase God from the public square" is to simply ignore him. Eventually everyone will forget.

That said, the expression does seem to ask for some to be damned by God than damning God Himself. So it's not even an attack against God anyway.

Originally Posted by PatD
I don't know how a discussion of The Matrix got derailed into a discussion about religion.
I never hated The Matrix Revolutions but I'm surprised my eyes didn't roll right out of my head when I saw that. Way too on the nose.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-28-13 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-28-13, 08:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I doubt that's the plan since the best way to "erase God from the public square" is to simply ignore him. Eventually everyone will forget.
Many thought the same thing 2,000 years ago, and it hasn't happened.

I never hated The Matrix Revolutions, but I'm surprised my eyes didn't roll right out of my head when I saw that. Way too on the nose.
Consider these other references; are they too blunt?

Neo's name while in the Matrix is Thomas Anderson. The first was likely a reference to the Biblical apostle, who's sadly recognized more for doubting Christ than his steadfast faith just one week earlier. The last name can be translated as "Son of Man", which calls back to Daniel's dream of One with all authority granted to Him.
Old 05-28-13, 08:20 PM

Many thought the same thing 2,000 years ago, and it hasn't happened.

Neo's name while in the Matrix is Thomas Anderson. The first was likely a reference to the Biblical apostle, who's sadly recognized more for doubting Christ than his steadfast faith just one week earlier. The last name can be translated as "Son of Man", which calls back to Daniel's dream of One with all authority granted to Him.
There's also this subtle allusion in the first one:
Neo's Friend: "You're my savior, man. My own personal Jesus Christ."
Old 05-28-13, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Can a mod please move this thread to the Youtube comments section?
Or to Las Vegas Talk where no one ever goes.
Old 05-28-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's also this subtle allusion in the first one:
Neo's Friend: "You're my savior, man. My own personal Jesus Christ."
I noticed those when I first saw The Matrix and except for the "You're my savior, man. My own personal Jesus Christ" line, they were subtle enough to be nice little details. That and a few allusions to philosophical musings made a dumb action flick come across like it had some deeper meaning.

However, in the sequels, the Wachowski's went overboard giving characters extended monologues that came across like excerpts of a "Philosophy For Beginners" books and topped it off with Neo doing a Jesus pose, complete with wings and a blazing cross, followed by a visual of a glowing lotus flower when his body was hauled away. It was all far too on the nose.

The only real bits of subtlety where that the floor the Merovingian was staying on in Reloaded was floor 101 (Neo's room in the first film was room 101) and the Mobil Ave sign in the Train Station. And I guess Club Hel in Revolutions counts since many people mistake it as a reference to the Christian Hell.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-28-13 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-28-13, 10:03 PM
Banned

the only that comes to mind after 10 years is that when the first matrix movie came out was all this green tint in cgi movies since.
Old 05-29-13, 12:46 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently rewatched all three films, and it's really night and day. The Matrix isn't a masterpiece, but it's tightly edited (there are only two shots where, if you look hard, you can tell you're seeing a stunt double, and you never see a stunt double's face), the writing is clear, and they pay off the premise smartly. There is obviously CGI in the film, but it's well integrated and rarely stands out. The fights are as practical as they could make them.

The sequels are absolute messes. Zion should never have been shown. Ever. The plot meanders, the dialogue is ponderous, most of the action is either made up of bad CGI or obvious shots of stunt doubles. Characters make stupid, baffling decisions and justify them with pseudo-philosophical babble. The multi-Smith villain was a terrible idea that made him feel like a low rent comic book character.

The only good thing in the Matrix universe after the original film are a few of the Animatrix shorts.
Old 05-29-13, 12:51 AM
Banned

The only obvious CG effects I saw were in "Reloaded", with Neo attacking the multiple Smiths and flying like Superman. If they ever re-release the films again, those shots should be updated.
Old 05-29-13, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The Matrix sequels are prime examples of movies being less than the sum of their parts. There are some amazing action and FX sequences in both of them...but, the films as a whole? There's a reason why there have been not so much as a prequel and or reboot in the works after a decade. In fact, the only Matrix-related thing in the last 10 I've seen was this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y0Ixn_Y2bIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
There was even that Hieneken tie-in with the Trinity stunt double.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9bwhWSbrL_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-29-13, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I recently rewatched all three films, and it's really night and day. The Matrix isn't a masterpiece, but it's tightly edited (there are only two shots where, if you look hard, you can tell you're seeing a stunt double, and you never see a stunt double's face),
I always felt that all three films made little to know effort to hide Keanu Reeves' stunt double. Just look at when Smith smashes Neo into the wall during the train station fight.
Old 05-29-13, 07:42 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only obvious CG effects I saw were in "Reloaded", with Neo attacking the multiple Smiths and flying like Superman. If they ever re-release the films again, those shots should be updated.
Revolutions had its wonderful share of that as well.

Man, I hate Zion. Just drags so much.
Old 05-29-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Give me Constantine 2.... NOW!

I loved matrix and bits and pieces of the other 2.
Old 05-29-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Yeah ok this is not CGI

What are you talking about the Matrix sequels were loaded with CGI.
The third film literally gave me a giant headache from the visual onslaught.
Old 05-29-13, 09:15 AM
Banned

The key word in my earlier statement was "obvious", and that sequence in "Reloaded" really fits the bill.
Old 05-29-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

All of us have the capacity to be heavily influenced by a variety of things, and humans aren't the only source of temptation. The moment which really convinced me to abandon horror was when I tried on my Michael Myers costume one summer, and everything changed inside me. The walk, movements, breathing, emotions, mentality...all of it. Despicable thoughts flooded through my mind and heart, and I knew that wasn't who I was created to be. Looking back, I see that experience as a warning from God, of how close I got to the spiritual cliff.
I've been here a long time and read lots of crazy shit from people, but can't recall anything more creepily disturbing than this. I don't really care what your beliefs are, you should've and still should seek some professional help. I'm pretty sure going to a doctor doesn't conflict with your version of Christianity and there's no reason for you to feel some special religious-based stigma about seeing a doctor for the mind.
Old 05-29-13, 10:12 AM
Banned

I was diagnosed many years ago with temporal-lobe epilepsy and clinical depression, but I strongly doubt that incident was triggered by either. I got into the horror genre out of rebellion and curiosity, but stuck with it because I was so angry at everyone around me. It took being confronted with an even worse situation for me to realize how far I'd fallen.
Old 05-29-13, 10:24 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

The first one was great. The second was average at best. The third was a huge bag of shit. However, ten years later (14 now), I really have no desire to rewatch any of these...ever.
Old 05-29-13, 10:28 AM

"We don't have to talk about The Matrix. We could just talk about stuff: our favorite bands, chicks who broke our hearts, The Matrix."
Old 05-29-13, 10:33 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

"We don't have to talk about The Matrix. We could just talk about stuff: our favorite bands, chicks who broke our hearts, The Matrix."
Clerks?
Old 05-29-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I still really enjoy the first one. It's a movie I turn on whenever I see it on cable and usually stick around for most of it. The other 2 are rarely on and when they are I'll turn it on and quickly realize why they're never on. The Merivingian part and the highway chase are the only things that stand out in either one and I think both are in part 2. Just horrible movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.