Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

10 Years Since the Year of the Matrix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

10 Years Since the Year of the Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 10 Years Since the Year of the Matrix

Originally Posted by PatD
There's also a brief lesbian titty flash in the fetish dance club in Revolutions.

Also: I'd also like to point out that The Fast and the Furious has now made a longer spanning and (possibly) higher grossing legacy in Hollywood than the Matrix Trilogy. I'll let that sink in: 3 Matrix movies in the span of 4 years, and 6 Fast and the Furious movies in the course of 12. The Fast and the Furious is still going strong while The Matrix is a distant memory.

Who could see that coming in the year, 2001?
The Fast and Furious franchise has officially out-grossed the Matrix trilogy but its an apples/oranges comparison to say the least. Inflation, stronger worldwide market, more films, a less-restrictive rating. All things that give the winning franchise an edge.

But it's certainly surprising. TFAF looked like a direct-to-video-grade actioner in 2001 and I would have put money on it being forgotten by the time it hit video.

Your point is perfectly valid though. The Matrix has suffered a complete breakdown and I'd even go so far as to say there's not even much of a cult of Matrix die-hards like there is with older sci-fi franchises like Terminator, Aliens etc. but Fast & Furious seems to be here to stay.

I don't wanna turn this into a Fast & Furious thread but I'll say that I think Universal could be pumping them out for decades Bond-style. As long as fast cars exist you'll be able to write movies about racing them and using them to steal shit.
Old 05-28-13, 01:23 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We can just all agree heads nudging against heads that the Matrix trilogy is one of the most wretched examples of a failed franchise, wallowing in its own tragic and lost opportunities, with complete and utter disdain for itself and no morsel of any brightness in its own dank black void -- yet somehow retaining some fetid stench of followers -- kind of like Wehrmacht enthusiasts.
Old 05-28-13, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

When I bought my blu ray player a couple of years ago, one of the first upgrades I bought was the blu ray book package of the first Matrix, not the box set off all the movies because I haven't seen the sequels since they played in theaters and I owned the DVD box set! The first film is timeless and strong enough imo to stand the test of time and not even those terrible sequels can't destroy its legacy. If there is a tragic aspect to the first film, it's that I cannot own the film, in it's original color scheme , on blu ray. I loved the brown/yellow drabs of the scenes that took place in "the matrix" than the blatant green hues of the wachowski's post tinkering.
Old 05-28-13, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a3fqoyIgPQA#t=4m06s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Damn when I first saw the Trailer for Matrix and heard that song I thought I was dreaming. I'm a huge Enigma fan and putting that track into the trailer really made me want to go out and watch it.
Old 05-28-13, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
Somebody wasn't paying close attention, because I counted at least 15 uses of God's name combined with "damn" in the first hour of "Revolutions" alone. There's simply no just reason for that kind of thing.
I don't recall the Tetragrammaton (יהוה) being uttered even once in any of the Matrix movies.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-28-13 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-28-13, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Somebody wasn't paying close attention, because I counted at least 15 uses of God's name combined with "damn" in the first hour of "Revolutions" alone. There's simply no just reason for that kind of thing.
Originally Posted by inri222
Have you ever seen The Exorcist?
No, and I don't intend to.
Well too bad. Not only are you missing out on one of the greatest horror films of all time but also a psychological drama about a man who is doubting his faith and is being put to the test by forces of good and evil.

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
Cameron Spencer Osborne? ... Was there any smoking in it?
Old 05-28-13, 08:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I don't recall the Tetragrammaton (יהוה) being uttered even once in any of the Matrix movies.
Now you're just splitting hairs; its painfully obvious where that particular swear word originated from.

Originally Posted by inri222
Well too bad. Not only are you missing out on one of the greatest horror films of all time but also a psychological drama about a man who is doubting his faith and is being put to the test by forces of good and evil.
I was a horror fan from my teens to mid-20s, and the stuff I saw and heard affected me really bad. It got to where I emotionally associated more strongly with the killers than their victims. That realization truly terrified me, and I gave it all up. I'm glad to be free of such influences, and God alone gets the glory.
Old 05-28-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I didn't think the Matrix sequels could have been worse, but moviefan an bluetoast have proved me wrong.
Old 05-28-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Now you're just splitting hairs; its painfully obvious where that particular swear word originated from.
Uh huh. It's still not the name of God being used. Maybe his title but certainly not His name.

I was a horror fan from my teens to mid-20s, and the stuff I saw and heard affected me really bad. It got to where I emotionally associated more strongly with the killers than their victims. That realization truly terrified me, and I gave it all up. I'm glad to be free of such influences, and God alone gets the glory.
It's scares me that you're so easily influenced but I guess I'm glad you took steps to curb your homicidal tendencies.

Although a lot of the kids in slasher movies have it coming due to sheer stupidity.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I didn't think the Matrix sequels could have been worse, but moviefan an bluetoast have proved me wrong.
bluetoast was in this thread?

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Another disappointing thing for me: I read that there would be a dance sequence in Reloaded.

I thought "Holy shit, Neo will be in a situation where he has to ballroom dance, and he'll bullet time throw Trinity in the air and catch her, do some fancy moves, with these special effects. Nice."

Then the "dance sequence" ends up being that shittastic rave. Keep in mind I'm not a dance fiend, but just reading it and instantly thinking of bullet time dancing, or at least the usage of bullet time in a "normal" situation, not always with beating the shit out of people, and never seeing it...fucking disappointing.
Oh there you are!

You know, in a weird way, I actually would love to have seen something like that. It would have been the perfect way to illustrate Neo's control over the Matrix in even the mundane. After all, in the first film it was said that Neo's predecessor could control the Matrix and shape it how he saw fit. I was expecting Neo to have such control in the sequels but he never demonstrated that. The closest was when he controlled the Sentinels in the Real World (which led to the Matrix-Within-The-Matrix theories) but that was just an unanswered question and another wasted opportunity.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-28-13 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-28-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

bluetoast was in this thread?
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Another disappointing thing for me: I read that there would be a dance sequence in Reloaded.

I thought "Holy shit, Neo will be in a situation where he has to ballroom dance, and he'll bullet time throw Trinity in the air and catch her, do some fancy moves, with these special effects. Nice."
Old 05-28-13, 09:16 AM
Banned

Uh huh. It's still not the name of God being used. Maybe his title but certainly not His name.
God is mentioned by many names in the Bible; Yahweh's a variation on one of them. The most direct reference is when He tells Moses, "I AM THAT I AM", meaning the self-existent eternal One with no beginning or end.

It's scares me that you're so easily influenced, but I guess I'm glad you took steps to curb your homicidal tendencies.
All of us have the capacity to be heavily influenced by a variety of things, and humans aren't the only source of temptation. The moment which really convinced me to abandon horror was when I tried on my Michael Myers costume one summer, and everything changed inside me. The walk, movements, breathing, emotions, mentality...all of it. Despicable thoughts flooded through my mind and heart, and I knew that wasn't who I was created to be. Looking back, I see that experience as a warning from God, of how close I got to the spiritual cliff.
Old 05-28-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I found his post and edited mine accordingly, majorjoe23.
Old 05-28-13, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I thought I was crazy with the ballroom dancing, but I'm glad others would have liked to see it!
Old 05-28-13, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

God is mentioned by many names in the bible; Yahweh's a variation on one of them. The most direct reference is when He tells Moses, "I AM THAT I AM", meaning the self-existent eternal One with no beginning or end.
Still not a name. That's like saying that Barack Obama's name is President when that's just an honorific.

All of us have the capacity to be heavily influenced by a variety of things, and humans aren't the only source of temptation. The moment which really convinced me to abandon horror was when I tried on my Michael Myers costume one summer, and everything changed inside me. The walk, movements, breathing, emotions, mentality...all of it. Despicable thoughts flooded through my mind and heart, and I knew that wasn't who I was created to be. Looking back, I see that experience as a warning from God, of how close I got to the spiritual cliff.
Yeah... Like I said, it's scary how EASILY influenced you are.
Old 05-28-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 05-28-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are, um, kind of a scary person.
Old 05-28-13, 09:29 AM
Banned

Still not a name. That's like saying that Barack Obama's name is President when that's just an honorific.
You'd be correct, if God didn't refer to Himself as "the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob". Jesus also called Him both Father and God, even sharing the name I AM to express His equal divinity.

Yeah... Like I said, it's scary how EASILY influenced you are.
It's not just me; everything has a message, for both good and/or evil. Which one you choose to listen to is very important, but its foolish to underestimate spiritual darkness. It's very real, and the unprepared are often attacked by it.

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
You are, um, kind of a scary person.
I'm just a fallible human being, the same as everyone else. We all face different temptations every day.
Old 05-28-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

All of us have the capacity to be heavily influenced by a variety of things, and humans aren't the only source of temptation.
Um, no we don't. Don't take this as an attack but it sounds like you needed some professional help.
Old 05-28-13, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Um, no we don't. Don't take this as an attack but it sounds like you needed some professional help.
I got something even better than that; spiritual freedom. I do go to weekly meetings with Celebrate Recovery, though.
Old 05-28-13, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You'd be correct, if God didn't refer to Himself as "the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob". Jesus also called Him both Father and God, even sharing the name I AM to express His equal divinity.
And those are all honorifics. Obama is the President of the United States but that doesn't mean his name is "the President of the United States". I call my dad "papá" (Spanish for dad) and my sister calls him "papi" (Spanish for daddy) yet neither is his name. They are honorifics.

And the only reason we say God instead of יהוה is because no one remembers how to pronounce יהוה thanks to the Jews being afraid to speak that name.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-28-13 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-28-13, 09:44 AM
Banned

And the only reason we say God instead of יהוה is because no one remembers how to pronounce יהוה thanks to the Jews being afraid to speak that name.
You just proved my point, which is that using that particular curse originated as a blasphemy of God's name, and is still used that way in many people's hearts. You may also notice that no one uses alternative phrases, like "Buddha-damn", or "Muhammad-damn"....and that's because deep down, they still know God's the ultimate authority. They simply choose to demean and pervert His name with their speech.
Old 05-28-13, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You just proved my point, which is that using that particular curse originated as a blasphemy of God's name, and is still used that way in many people's hearts. You may also notice that no one uses alternative phrases, like "Buddha-damn", or "Muhammad-damn"....and that's because deep down, they still know God's the ultimate authority. They simply choose to demean and pervert His name with their speech.
I said nothing of the sort. But feel free to jump to conclusions, like you always do.

I've heard plenty uses of "Budda have pity" said in many different contexts as well as exclamations of "Allah" in like manner. So much for that claim that no one does. Also, saying that deep down they know YOUR deity is the ultimate authority is insulting. Deep down they only know what they have been taught and what they believe. Nothing more and nothing less.
Old 05-28-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, they go with god damn it, because god is a general term. They don't do it because they know God is super powerful and want to piss him off for some reason.

Also, Buddha isn't a god. Neither is Muhammad.
Old 05-28-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a good thing this thread went in a religious direction. There aren't enough of those already.
Old 05-28-13, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Again, they go with god damn it, because god is a general term. They don't do it because they know God is super powerful and want to piss him off for some reason.
I respectfully disagree; some may have picked it up as kids, but they still know its wrong. Others deliberately use it as you described, especially anti-theists who've made it their life's mission to erase God from the public square.

Also, Buddha isn't a god. Neither is Muhammad.
No, but they're both respected religious founders. Of all the different faiths, Jesus was the first to claim divinity, and the only one who proved it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.