Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017, D: Paul W.S. Anderson) S: Milla Jovovich

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017, D: Paul W.S. Anderson) S: Milla Jovovich

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017, D: Paul W.S. Anderson) S: Milla Jovovich

Saw it and enjoyed it over all. I would have liked to see the battle for Washington, but I know that would add $200 million to the budget.

I agree with the quick cuts in the fight scenes. I re-watched the series before this, and usually Anderson would just set the camera down and let the fight scenes play out, but not this time.

Ruby Rose was basically a cameo which was surprising, but I did like the link between Alice and the Red Queen.
Old 01-30-17, 08:16 AM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Re: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017, D: Paul W.S. Anderson) S: Milla Jovovich

Just popping in to say I glanced at the title of this thread while scrolling through and I thought it said President Evil: The Final Chapter, and I had a moment where I thought that's an interesting thread title change from the mods for the Trump presidency thread!

As for the film, I think I've only seen the first one and I don't remember much. Is there a scene where a SWAT team gets laser sliced? Is there a way to see most of the old ones for cheap or free?
Old 01-30-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Something about that guys face makes me want to punch him in it rather than watch his video. Maybe because he is a blue eyed ginger, but he looks super creepy. Is he someone important among the YouTube community?
His reviews should be under a spoiler tab. I fucking hate that guys open face yap and will never play one. We used to have a member here that would post their YouTube reviews as well and his open gap yap would always be there in all its glory as well.

Spoiler that shit.

Originally Posted by story
Just popping in to say I glanced at the title of this thread while scrolling through and I thought it said President Evil: The Final Chapter, and I had a moment where I thought that's an interesting thread title change from the mods for the Trump presidency thread!
You people need to let that shit go...
Old 01-30-17, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I generally don't mind Stuckmann, but don't always agree with him. I think his popularity is getting the Bette of him and his comedy bits at times come off as very annoying. As for the Flick Pick, that guy is a fucking arsehole. Loud annoying douchebag with a shit opinion. Fuck him. Will never watch his shit reviews.
Old 01-30-17, 09:08 PM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
You people need to let that shit go...
Not sure what that comment means, I was just offering that my eye dart misread the title and I thought it was amusing.
Old 01-30-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Not sure what that comment means, I was just offering that my eye dart misread the title and I thought it was amusing.
My guess is he interpreted that as you making a sarcastic political remark.

I've seen all the movies in this series and own the entire series on BD.

I have a gift card for AMC, so I might as well see this. Probably tomorrow.

Resident Evil has never been art. Just a trashy zombie video game adaptation. I'm glad it's getting an end after 15 years.
Old 01-30-17, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Didn't catch this yet.

There's something fun about the fantasy-tech that's on display in these movies. To me, that's the selling point of it all. I don't see movies go as far-out as the Resident Evil movies. The trend in Hollywood right now is to make the tech "grounded" - even in the Marvel movies. The tech in the RE movies is a McGuffin a minute.

So it's like, they're clones. But they have zombie DNA splice in. So they can only be killed by special laser from Umbrella. And, like, Alice has one of those guns. It's actually Alice's twin sister. And she, like, has an implant, where she can call reinforcements without, like, actually pressing a button. Cause, like, there's satellites in the sky, that hack RF waves that can transmit back voices and thoughts of Umbrella employees. (Okay, I could write like this for hours ... you get the point.)

It'd get tired if every movie were doing it. But they're not. So it's fresh and fun to see it in these movies.
Old 01-31-17, 02:15 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome.
Old 01-31-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I have seen every Resident Evil movie in the theaters so I decided to see the final instalment of Milla needs a franchise AKA Resident Evil.

The RE movies were always interesting. They tried to make Alice the center point of the franchise even though most people weren't seeing it for the Alice character who is probably the weakest part of these movies. It also doesn't help that each movie has little to no connective tissue and Alice is different in each movie. And this movie continues that.

And holy cow is this bad. Like really, really bad. The beginning is basically a knock off of Fury Road and features some incredibly terrible fight choreography. From there we go to a fortress where we meet Ali Larter since no other good guy cast members are dumb enough to come back. And we get a lot more crappy CGI. From there we get to go back to The Hive. Again. Yay. From there we get a knock off of Cube, Ruby Rose thankfully dying early, some easter eggs to the first movie and a really lame and crappy finale. It also has a twist with the Alice character which is incredibly stupid. But if you want to see Milla Jovivich in old woman makeup you get your wish.

This movie is also dark. I don't mean figuratively dark, I mean literally dark as in it's hard to see shit.

So overall this movie is awful and easily the worst of the RE franchise that shouldn't have existed in the first place. Oh and if your curious, they leave it open again for yet another sequel at the end. I'm giving it a 1.5/5

My Rankings for the RE movies from best to worst: 1,3,4,2,5,6.
Old 01-31-17, 02:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The action scenes are awful to watch when they should be the main draw. The rest is basically shitting on the franchise or the fans, imo. They had enough CG backgrounds and CG creatures that they could have done the whole movie as the Battle of Helms D.C. with Super Alice. At least the attempt would have been better than another road trip full of plot holes and a stupid ending.
Old 01-31-17, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

but I did like the link between Alice and the Red Queen.
I thought that was a pretty big screw you to fans of the franchise. They also seem to have some type of obsession with clones in these movies as everyone is a clone.

I forgot one more complaint. One is about the editing. This movie is so badly edited that twice a character died and I had no idea who it was that died. I didn't find out until they showed each character who was still left.
Old 01-31-17, 05:15 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
I thought that was a pretty big screw you to fans of the franchise. They also seem to have some type of obsession with clones in these movies as everyone is a clone.

I forgot one more complaint. One is about the editing. This movie is so badly edited that twice a character died and I had no idea who it was that died. I didn't find out until they showed each character who was still left.
That happened to me too, but I thought it was because my mind was wandering.
Old 05-05-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

So, it was better than Underworld: Blood Wars. Take that for it's worth (spoiler: not a whole hell lot).

**¼/*****, (C-, 4.4/10, 1.75/4)
Old 05-17-17, 02:57 PM
Banned

Wow. I liked the previous RE movies, but this one sucked. WTF did they do? They rewrote half the damn story. I just watched the other 5 while waiting for the BD of the new one, and holy shit. Luther, Jill, Chris, and Leon disappeared with no real explanation. The girl from Apocalypse was never mentioned again, and that part of the story is completely rewritten as they retell it for this one. WTF!?
Old 05-19-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Watched it yesterday and I don't know what the fuck happened in terms of coherency. Yes, the rest of the films have always been hot messes, but at least were easy enough to follow. This one seemed like they rewrote/rebooted the entire franchise for a single film. When we get the final reveal it's a bit of a let down, because the rest of the 5 films never ever foreshadowed any of what was going on in this one. The editing was also way off as if Paul WS Anderson was not in control -- I wonder if the studio was on his ass to hurry up and finish?

And even though they call it the final chapter
Spoiler:
the ending leaves it wide open for another movie.

WTF?
Old 05-19-17, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Watched it yesterday and I don't know what the fuck happened in terms of coherency. Yes, the rest of the films have always been hot messes, but at least were easy enough to follow. This one seemed like they rewrote/rebooted the entire franchise for a single film. When we get the final reveal it's a bit of a let down, because the rest of the 5 films never ever foreshadowed any of what was going on in this one. The editing was also way off as if Paul WS Anderson was not in control -- I wonder if the studio was on his ass to hurry up and finish?

Spoiler:

WTF?
Must be the same assholes who called Friday the 13th part 4 the "final chapter." lol
Old 05-19-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

Spoiler:

WTF?
No surprise. It made bank overseas ($285M).
Old 05-25-17, 09:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

I'm struggling to get through this. It's taking me days. I want to see how it all ends. I've seen them all, but couldn't tell you what anyone of them was about. The CGI is just so bad, but I like Milla and always hoped for tone of part 1. They just got so ridiculous and redundant...
Old 05-26-17, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

And after reading about the upcoming reboot with James Wan as producer -- I was right about the studio wanting to hurry up and rush this out there. Makes sense from that point of view. They basically cashed out and called it a night with this franchise.