Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-13-13, 06:20 PM   #1

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017, D: Paul W.S. Anderson) S: Milla Jovovich

Quote:
News broke not too long ago from Bloody Disgusting that Screen Gems was planning a September 12th, 2014 release for Resident Evil 6, another sequel in the video game film franchise. However, at the time there weren't any details as to whether or not Paul W.S. Anderson would be returning to direct yet again. Now we have confirmed that Anderson will indeed be back to direct the sixth installment of the franchise, which doesn't yet have a catchy subtitle. In addition, Milla Jovovich will certainly be back, and for those who saw Resident Evil: Retribution, the conclusion of the film basically made that a no brainer. Read on!

Anderson plans to start shooting Resident Evil 6 this fall. The Mr X visual effects house, who was responsible for all the movie magic you saw in the most recent sequel along with the other sequels Apocalypse and Afterlife, not to mention Anderson's Three Musketeers will return to do VFX work on the new project. Though the film wasn't exactly a runaway hit, the film pulled in just over $221 million worldwide, and that's enough for a sequel. Anderson has said that he had plans for a new trilogy that began following Afterlife, so maybe this will be the last Resident Evil movie? We'll have to wait and see.
Old 03-13-13, 06:33 PM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Resident Evil 6 (2014) (D: Paul W.S. Anderson, S: Milla Jovovich)

I'm a sucker for this franchise so I'll be watching the 6th. However, I keep hoping for a sequel to The Three Musketeers instead.
So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
Old 03-13-13, 06:33 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hate Paul WS Anderson. What a hack.
Old 03-13-13, 06:47 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

The latest one was infuriatingly empty. After watching the trailers, it was a punch to the cock that we didn't even get some action in Washington DC.

But I enjoy these movies. #3 is the reason I started liking the franchise. #4 as impressive too.

If I recall, #5 and #6 were developed together and supposed to be filmed back to back. But they couldn't make it work.

Anyways, make a #6. Give it some definitive closure. Move onto something else.
Old 03-13-13, 06:51 PM   #5

Yes...end it...then reboot it as actual zombie movies.
Old 03-13-13, 06:59 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I'm a sucker for this franchise so I'll be watching the 6th. However, I keep hoping for a sequel to The Three Musketeers instead.
So, you're to blame.
"...you judgmental prick."-Abob Teff
"Oh, great...another crazy cat lady around here."-Mikael79
Old 03-13-13, 07:53 PM   #7
DVD Talk Godfather

I enjoy these movies as mindless fun, but the last one was pretty poor, even by the low standards set on this franchise. Hope there's a good finale and conclusion to the story.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 03-13-13, 08:04 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

I own the entire series on Blu Ray. Huge guilty pleasure. I agree the last movie wasn't that good.

I would love for them to bring back Ali Larter and Wentworth Miller. They were just MIA in the last movie without a really good explanation. Instead they brought back Boris Kodjoe, who I didn't really care about 2 movies ago.
Old 03-13-13, 08:05 PM   #9

I think they plan to bring them back.
Old 03-13-13, 08:16 PM   #10
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it picks up where it left off, I'll be pumped. I like the series but the last one was lacking, except the ending, which is an awesome setup.
Old 03-13-13, 08:17 PM   #11
Time Lord

At this point, make it stop.
Old 03-13-13, 08:23 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

This better have a balls out fight in Washington like the end of the last one sets up. Then be done, reboot, whatever.
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 03-13-13, 08:31 PM   #13
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been picking up all the films on blu-ray. I've liked the last few installments but the last one was a bit of a letdown. I still really liked the effects and loved them bringing back past cast. The deleted scenes on the blur-ray had, what I thought, a better setup scene for the return of the old cast. It had a quick showdown with a duplicate Michelle Rodriguez in a street skirmish and the explanation on how she could return as a clone. The scene used in the movie showed a clone of Milla Jovovich with the explanation and it didn't have the same impact. Overall, the story was poorly structured if not absent of a strong plot. It felt more like a bad dream which may be what they were going for. Here's hoping Anderson pulls out all the stops on this next one and delivers a solid script and movie.
Old 03-13-13, 11:12 PM   #14
Suspended

They just need to give Wesker the whole 90min, that guy is cheese dick awesome.
Old 03-14-13, 12:54 AM   #15
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Until Anderson leaves this franchise has no chance of being good. Thankfully it appears that after 1 more movie he's out for good.
Old 03-14-13, 07:59 AM   #16
DVD Talk Hero

If any series needed a reboot, this is it.

And it needs to have a max of 3 movies and stop.
Old 03-14-13, 08:37 AM   #17
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in. Its stupid fun....and I'm ok with that.
Old 03-14-13, 11:33 AM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
I'm in. Its stupid fun....and I'm ok with that.
Pretty well sums it up for me too!
Old 03-15-13, 07:28 AM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

These movies are terrible. Every single one of them. They need to do a reboot and stick to the story of the first game. It could be an amazing HORROR movie.
Old 03-15-13, 05:10 PM   #20
Banned

I liked the first one. Was a genre thing, not perfect but alright. Everyone after that one though...no.

They really need to just adapt the first game's story into a well compacted script and they'd have a great start to the film. Not sure who I'd want to direct it but as much practical effects as possible. Which means there is no chance to getting that but you never know.
Old 03-16-13, 01:09 AM   #21
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Until Anderson leaves this franchise has no chance of being good. Thankfully it appears that after 1 more movie he's out for good.
I don't think it has a chance of being good, ever.
Old 04-21-14, 06:57 PM   #22

Quote:
With Pompeii behind him, Paul W.S. Anderson is going to work on the sixth and reportedly final chapter in the Resident Evil franchise. While there have been plenty of rumors and reports about when the next film will start and be released, nothing has been confirmed.

Anderson, however, recently spoke at the Beijing International Film Festival and CCTV quoted him on a few relevant pieces of Resident Evil 6 info. Let's start with the title. The quote below says the film will be called Rising Resident Evil. I suspect this might be something lost in translation and that the film will be called Resident Evil Rising – which makes a bit more sense, no? Anyway, here's a snippet from CCTV's report:

"I have to go home tomorrow for 'Rising Resident Evil'. That's what I'm going to do. As you know, Bingbing is in the last movie and she will be there again. .. After 'Resident Evil' I want to come to China and shoot film again," Anderson said.

Anderson says he believes 3D technology has now become the fabric, rather than just a special sauce, for a film. And, his next "Resident Evil" will "definitely be 3D".
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...resident-evil/
Old 04-21-14, 10:36 PM   #23
DVD Talk Special Edition

re: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2015) (D: Paul W.S. Anderson, S: Milla Jovovich)

Do film studios get some sort of tax break for putting "rise," "rising," or "rises" in the title of a movie?
Old 04-21-14, 11:38 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I liked the first one. Was a genre thing, not perfect but alright. Everyone after that one though...no.

They really need to just adapt the first game's story into a well compacted script and they'd have a great start to the film. Not sure who I'd want to direct it but as much practical effects as possible. Which means there is no chance to getting that but you never know.

I agree wholeheartedly. I liked the first one and the third had potential, but the rest have been utter crap. Reboot!

Better yet, the original game could be adapted into a damn good cable mini-series.
Old 06-17-14, 09:29 AM   #25

Re: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2015) (D: Paul W.S. Anderson, S: Milla Jovovich

Exclusive RESIDENT EVIL 6 Updates: Tentatively Titled RESIDENT EVIL: THE FINAL CHAPTER, Planned as the Last Film, and First Draft Is Currently Being Written: http://collider.com/resident-evil-6-...final-chapter/