Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-19, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

I guess I remember that line but misinterpreted it. I thought she had (or was supposed to have) the memories of a human brain but wasn’t actually human. I’m not familiar with the manga or anything either so I guess I didn’t realize that was the case.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-18-19 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-18-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I would make a review thread, but I don't know how to populate the poll with stars.
The star images are hosted by dvdtalk. Just paste the IMG code in the poll options referencing the image.

https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/1.5.gif

https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/0.gif
Old 02-21-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Banal dialogue, bad writing, atrocious acting, miscasting across the board, where do I begin? The two young leads in this movie give the worst line readings I’ve heard since Hayden Christiansen in that Star Wars movie (ATTACK OF THE CLOWNS?). It all took me out of the movie rather quickly. And the shame of it is that the cast includes an actress who would have made a much better Alita than the one who got the part. I’m talking about Lana Condor, who has a small part as Koyomi, one of Hugo’s entourage. Why didn’t SHE play Alita? Her line readings would have been much better and her face more expressive (although the computer might have erased it).

The film is set in the 26th century, yet many of the main characters and all of the extras look, behave, dress and talk like 21st century American teenage hipsters. Really?! This is what we’ve got 500 years later? Hardly seems worth it. I guess the filmmakers figured the narcissists in their target audience wouldn’t come unless the movie was filled with people that looked like them and were just as shallow.

I found the character in the anime way more expressive:

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-21-19 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 04:46 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Banal dialogue, bad writing, atrocious acting, miscasting across the board, where do I begin? The two young leads in this movie give the worst line readings I’ve heard since Hayden Christiansen in PHANTOM MENACE. It all took me out of the movie rather quickly. And the shame of it is that the cast includes an actress who would have made a much better Alita than the one who got the part. I’m talking about Lana Condor, who has a small part as Koyomi, one of Hugo’s entourage. Why didn’t SHE play Alita? Her line readings would have been much better and her face more expressive (although the computer might have erased it).

The film is set in the 26th century, yet many of the main characters and all of the extras look, behave, dress and talk like 21st century American teenage hipsters. Really?! This is what we’ve got 500 years later? Hardly seems worth it. I guess the filmmakers figured the narcissists in their target audience wouldn’t come unless the movie was filled with people that looked like them and were just as shallow.

I found the character in the anime way more expressive:

Hayden Christensen wasn’t in TPM.
Old 02-21-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hayden Christensen wasn’t in TPM.
Well, whatever awful Star Wars movie he was in. They all blur together for me. My point remains the same.
Old 02-21-19, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Well, whatever awful Star Wars movie he was in. They all blur together for me. My point remains the same.
Return of the Jedi?

Old 02-22-19, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Banal dialogue, bad writing, atrocious acting, miscasting across the board, where do I begin? The two young leads in this movie give the worst line readings I’ve heard since Hayden Christiansen in that Star Wars movie (ATTACK OF THE CLOWNS?). It all took me out of the movie rather quickly. And the shame of it is that the cast includes an actress who would have made a much better Alita than the one who got the part. I’m talking about Lana Condor, who has a small part as Koyomi, one of Hugo’s entourage. Why didn’t SHE play Alita? Her line readings would have been much better and her face more expressive (although the computer might have erased it).

You don't have to ask. I'll see myself off your lawn.
Old 02-22-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Of course the harshest critic is the 70 year DVD Talk poster into Manga.
Old 02-22-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Man, if they cast an Asian actress only to CGI to make her eyes bigger... that would be an even bigger controversy I think.
Old 02-22-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Of course the harshest critic is the 70 year DVD Talk poster into Manga.
Sometimes it be your own..
Old 02-22-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
You don't have to ask. I'll see myself off your lawn.
Old 02-25-19, 09:47 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

For what it was... or rather, for whatever it was... it was pretty good. Totally predictable... but entertaining nonetheless.

The two young leads were loads better that the two from Valeria... they were attricious.

... and boy, does Ed Norton have the maniac “devil in the clouds” anime sneer down to a science. 😂

3.5 stars out of 5.

This will also probably be the last movie I see with my MoviePass, which expires in a week or so.
Old 02-25-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

For those who want more - The Alita Experience - Passport to Iron City is happening in Los Angeles, Austin, and Brooklyn. RR posted on his Instagram today that if you enter code: CHANGO you will get up to 6 tickets for FREE. Regular price is $45 per ticket, so that's a great deal. I scooped up a couple. It's basically a giant pop-up event with games and an actual "Kansas" bar.

https://alitaexperience.com/
Old 02-26-19, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this earlier this evening with a friend.

While I had issues with some of the characters being emotionally flat (mainly Hugo), the film still felt very entertaining.

The FX work was fantastic as were all the confidently shot action scenes.
Old 02-26-19, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I loved it. I only know the loosest threads of the source material (although I did read the first book recently on Comixology.)
I thought Alita was very expressive and her reactions to things in the world new to her was great.
Her familiarity with the world, and her relationships with all but Ido, did seem to escalate rather quickly. But it might have been "newborn duck" syndrome.
I saw it in AMC's Big D (stupid name) and it was very impressive.
Old 02-27-19, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
For what it was... or rather, for whatever it was... it was pretty good. Totally predictable... but entertaining nonetheless.

The two young leads were loads better that the two from Valeria... they were attricious.

... and boy, does Ed Norton have the maniac “devil in the clouds” anime sneer down to a science. ��

3.5 stars out of 5.

This will also probably be the last movie I see with my MoviePass, which expires in a week or so.
That was Ed Norton?! They sure made him up to look like James Cameron.
Old 02-27-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

That was Ed Norton?! They sure made him up to look like James Cameron.
At the end I turned to the friend sitting next to me and said, "It's interesting that the overall villain looks like James Cameron". "I thought it was Ed Norton, " he replied, not exactly getting my point.
Old 02-27-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I thought that was Tom Hiddleston at the end when I saw it.
Old 02-27-19, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I immediately recognized him as Ed Norton.
Old 02-27-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I was hoping when Nova took off his glasses that it would turn out to be Chris Elliott, which would have been cool since he was also in The Abyss.
Old 03-02-19, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Wow!..really fucking loved this one.

Definitely going to see it again.
Old 03-03-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Caught this a couple of weeks ago in RPX 3D. Visuals and style were top notch, they really captured the look and feel of the manga. That said, at times the script felt like it had been written by someone who would hold Titanic as the best love story ever written. They even looked like they were trying to replicate Kate Winslet's "flying" scene when Alita was on the back of Yugo's bike.
Old 03-03-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

The movie has grossed $350million worldwide as of this weekend and headed towards a $400+ million final tally.

So, even though it has under-performed at the U.S. boxoffice (72mill so far) and gotten mixed critical reviews, there seems to be enough interest worldwide and favorable public opinion (94% on Rotten Tomatoes) that I could see Cameron eventually pushing for a sequel.

Maybe get Tarantino to write the script next time, though.
Old 03-03-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
The movie has grossed $350million worldwide as of this weekend and headed towards a $400+ million final tally.

So, even though it has under-performed at the U.S. boxoffice (72mill so far) and gotten mixed critical reviews, there seems to be enough interest worldwide and favorable public opinion (94% on Rotten Tomatoes) that I could see Cameron eventually pushing for a sequel.
It would heavily depend on the new film regime at FOX since Disney is about to take over within the next few months.
Old 03-03-19, 04:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees

Maybe get Tarantino to write the script next time, though.
I have no idea, but what was the budget? Wasn’t it something like $200 mil? If so, I’m not sure they’d want to gamble and lose again. And really, this didn’t make me want to see any more. Interesting world, but not one I’d want to revisit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.