Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blue Jasmine (2013, Woody Allen) S: Cate Blanchett, Alec Baldwin, Sally Hawkins

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blue Jasmine (2013, Woody Allen) S: Cate Blanchett, Alec Baldwin, Sally Hawkins

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 10:32 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Re: Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I didn't comment earlier but I really liked this. It reminded me a bit of Young Adult, and is one of my favorites of the year so far. Like others said, Dice is great and of course Blanchett is as well.
i loved Young Adult and look forward to seeing my first Woody Allen movie since Match Point next week.
Old 08-12-13, 10:55 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

This should be opening around me this weekend. So it looks like I'll have to do an odd Kickass 2/Woody Allen Double Feature.
Old 08-12-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Okay, so...?
The thought of Woody Allen watching Entourage amuses me. I just don't picture him watching tv, let alone Entourage.
Old 08-17-13, 01:12 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Cate Blanchett is winning an Oscar... Wow... what a performance.
Old 08-19-13, 06:30 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much as I love the performances here, the film just generally leaves a sour taste.
Old 08-29-13, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
ADC is great in the film. If Blanchett weren't busy giving a career best performance, he would have stolen the show.

As for the movie itself, it didn't blow me away. It could have been an interesting character study, but Jasmine ultimately shows no growth. It's definitely worth seeing for Blanchett and Andrew Dice Clay, but it's a trifle of a film.
Great performances all around, especially from Blanchett. I wouldn't call the film a trifle. Whatever Works is closer to that description.

Originally Posted by dconev
Much as I love the performances here, the film just generally leaves a sour taste.
It leaves a sour taste because Blanchett plays what might be one of the most despicable non-criminal characters in recent memory. The line that sums up the film happens about halfway through. Blanchett says, "Adult life is complicated."

Blue Jasmine's entire cast of characters spend the entire film making terrible decisions (some of which they could foresee, some not). It's hard to watch, but I still walked away feeling like it was well-crafted.

Not every film needs someone to root for.
Old 08-30-13, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Easily one of Woody's best and Cate Blanchett is a lock for a nomination and has turned in the best female lead performance to date this year IMO. She should be hard to beat.

After a mid-career slump, I've liked every one of his films ( but haven't seen You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger) starting with Melinda and Melinda (particularly Match Point, Cassandra's Dream, Vicky Christina Barcelona, Midnight in Paris and Blue Jasmine).

*****/*****.

Really great for a guy who is almost an octogenarian.
Old 08-30-13, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
ADC is great in the film. If Blanchett weren't busy giving a career best performance, he would have stolen the show.

As for the movie itself, it didn't blow me away. It could have been an interesting character study, but Jasmine ultimately shows no growth. It's definitely worth seeing for Blanchett and Andrew Dice Clay, but it's a trifle of a film.
I really loved this movie and I do not like many of Woody Allen's movies.

I thought that the point of the movie was that people do not fundamentally change, so the lack of growth makes a lot of sense. The really interesting thing that came across in this movie was the concept that genes actually do play a role in what social circle you exist in. That concept was repeated in many ways throughout the movie.

Cate Blanchett was pretty amazing in this movie. Be pretty surprised if it is forgotten by the Academy. ADC was good, but he has really always been a good actor when it is separated from his persona.
Old 09-01-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it today. Very good movie, and a great re-imagining of Streetcar. I hope Blanchett gets a nom. , she deserves it. I too noticed how the movie didn't really have any character you could truly get behind, because they all had some pretty big flaws.
Old 09-02-13, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw this on Saturday. Really really good movie. Unfortunately I don't see this being a film I'd watch on replay a lot. Though I will own it. It's really damn good.

I'm actually surprised at how brutal it was with it's main character. Didn't expect that after Midnight in Paris. I've watched a few of Allen's movies. Those being MiP, MP, AH, and VCB. I think that's it aside from this recent one. How "brutal" does Allen get at times. Cuz this one just let the main character fall to hell essentially.

Blanchett was fucking amazing. Like she was pushing it like crazy. I hated her, I felt worried for her in some bits, pitied her, etc. I ALMOST wanted her to get out of this rut cuz it goes to a point where I was starting to feel awkward of seeing the character go that way.

Her sister's main BF was also pretty damn good too. I don't recognize him from anything I think but he was really real as his character.

I think Dr. DVD is right. It does have a bit of Streetcar in there. I couldn't put my finger on it when I watched it but yeah..that's it.
Old 09-02-13, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Does this mean that we are going to be see Dice attending the Oscars and the Golden Globes this coming March because he was a part of this movie's cast?
Old 01-23-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I just finished watching this and it was a fine film but dark and somewhat depressing. Young Adult came to mind but that one is insanely re-watchable - this one, maybe just on occasion.

Did this film receive any nominations?

Oh, and good to see that actor who was in Boardwalk Empire - he was really cool and funny. Dice Clay was also really good.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 01-23-14 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-23-14, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I just finished watching this and it was a fine film but dark and somewhat depressing. Young Adult came to mind but that one is insanely re-watchable - this one, maybe just on occasion.

Did this film receive any nominations?

Oh, and good to say that actor who was in Boardwalk Empire - he was really cool and funny. Dice Clay was also really good.
I love Young Adult!!! so rewatchable.

i will be watching this this weekend. look forward to it now. now a big Allen fan, but i'll give it a go.

Cate Blanchett is a certain lock for the Oscar. she won SAG and GG.
Old 01-24-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So was Louis CK's character lying about his occupation? I doubt that a real sound engineer would have raved about that little iPod dock.
Old 01-24-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Cate B's performance was pretty ridiculous in this, felt like I was watching someone have an actual borderline breakdown half the time.
Old 01-24-14, 08:59 AM
Banned

Yeah. I was a little uncomfortable with her in this one. She knocked it out of the park.
Old 01-25-14, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched this over a week ago and haven't gone a day without thinking about Jasmine. Blanchett was astounding. "A trifle of a film" this is not. The entire cast was great, and Sally Hawkins is getting overlooked because of all the other great performances. She completely embodied the "white trash" side of the sisters, and you never disbelieved her performance for a moment. Definitely not a feel-good film, but a wonderful addition to Woody's canon.
Old 01-25-14, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
How "brutal" does Allen get at times. Cuz this one just let the main character fall to hell essentially.
He does get brutal, every now and then. Check out Interiors sometime (his Bergman homage). That makes Jasmine look like a stroll in a flowered meadow, by comparison.
Old 01-25-14, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
So was Louis CK's character lying about his occupation? I doubt that a real sound engineer would have raved about that little iPod dock.
He was lying to her to get laid. He was way over qualifying himself and not necessarily being truthful.
Old 01-25-14, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Watched this over a week ago and haven't gone a day without thinking about Jasmine. Blanchett was astounding. "A trifle of a film" this is not. The entire cast was great, and Sally Hawkins is getting overlooked because of all the other great performances. She completely embodied the "white trash" side of the sisters, and you never disbelieved her performance for a moment. Definitely not a feel-good film, but a wonderful addition to Woody's canon.
Sally Hawkins was nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars, Golden Globes, BAFTAs, Australian Film Institute, London Critics, Independent Spirit, etc; for it. She is just getting overshadowed by Lupita Nyong'o, Julia Roberts and Jennifer Lawrence.
Old 01-25-14, 12:39 PM
Banned

Haven't heard of Nyong'o. I'll have to check her out.
Old 01-25-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wrote this after a theatrical viewing in 2013:

I found "Blue Jasmine" a little hard to watch, intentionally so, as it's never easy to watch self-destructive people (Jasmine) undermine their future with delusions of their own self-worth at odds with the inability to deal with their present circumstances undercut by such self-destructive decisions in response to being tossed aside for a shinier toy. That is the character study Woody Allen has crafted in Jasmine (a solid performance by Cate Blanchett).

It's heartbreaking to see the dichotomy of Jasmine having to move in with her sister Ginger on the west coast because Jasmine has no where to turn to, even though she was never the best big sister to Ginger when Jasmine was the socialite du jour in New York while being married to Hal (Alec Baldwin) until their finance come under scrutiny and Hal's philandering ways, and compare it with Ginger's own past and present and how she has to come to grips with settling after certain truths are uncovered.

Jasmine herself isn't someone you want to root for, so ultimately, you take away from her story what you will, and leave the rest behind. It's solid writing by Woody Allen, but not as easily digestible as some of his lighter, but more entertaining films of recent past, like "Midnight in Paris" or even "Vicky Cristina Barcelona".

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 01-25-14, 07:43 PM

Re: Blue Jasmine (2013, Woody Allen) S: Cate Blanchett, Alec Baldwin, Sally Hawkins

what a sublime movie with a sublime leading performance in Blanchett. just great. every manic moment, every deep breath. so good as was the rest of the cast. i was mesmerized...

Old 01-26-14, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blue Jasmine (2013, Woody Allen) S: Cate Blanchett, Alec Baldwin, Sally Hawkins

After seeing this tonight, I'm a bit surprised it didn't land a Best Picture nomination. It's outstanding, and all of Blanchett's awards are completely deserved.
Old 01-26-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cate Blanchett is jaw-droppingly phenomenal in this. I thought Sandra Bullock was the best she's ever been in Gravity, but Cate just blows her away.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.