Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Originally Posted by Goonies85
You were correct, watched this last night and thought it was excellent. While, in terms of political movies from last year, I would rate Chappaquiddick slightly above this one (and I still need to see Vice)...Hugh Jackman delivered a very nuanced, subtle performance in this one...Which I appreciated...
I thought it was better than Chappaquiddick but each his own. Too bad a lot of people won't give it a chance.
Old 03-12-19, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A great story but a terrible movie with awful acting.

I bet the real life heros must be spinning in their graves if they knew Nicolas Cage and Tom Sizemore, would play them in a movie.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 03-12-19 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Imagine the outcry if they made this movie today? I liked it as a kid but watching it now it falls flat though now I see some adult humor which I did not get back then

Tereza Ganzel looked like Anna Faris if she aged 20 years

Old 03-13-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Liv Tyler's acting still has not improved
Old 03-13-19, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Lord of War (2005) — Had seen this when it was in theaters and didn't think much of the plot but the acting from Cage, Leto and Moynahan. Today, I think I appreciated the story, though only think the movie is a bit above average. 3.25/5

Nemesis 2: Nebula (1995)
— You know you're in trouble when the entire movie takes place in the desert and abandoned factories, plus the lead "actress" (bodybuilder) lacked any charisma, makes me worry how bad #3 and 4 are... The first movie wasn't very good, but at least had some scope to it. 1.5/5
Old 03-14-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Mission to Mars - This was actually a decent movie, albeit lesser De Palma. I loved the ensemble cast, as it was great seeing Nielsen, Sinise, Robbins, and Cheadle act off each other (for what it's worth, O'Connell was also decent in the movie). The Special Effects, for the most part, hold up. The storyline is also unusual, especially for a movie that has the word "Mars" in its title...Anyway, I hope they eventually release this on Blu-Ray (maybe Kino Lorber?)...

Widows - McQueen tackles a genre movie this time (the heist film), and he does a DAMN good job (just like he's done for all of his movies). The ensemble cast is great, and the script is extremely well-written. Lots of little twists that most viewers won't see coming...One of the best movies of last year...

Mad Dog and Glory - Loved this movie. The script by Richard Price was awesome, and McNaughton did a great job with the direction. It was also lots of fun watching Bill Murray and De Niro interact (along with Uma Thurman, who plays the pivotal role). Also some good cameos by character actors like Kathy Baker, Mike Starr, and Tom Towles...One of my new favourite movies from 1993...
Old 03-14-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Widows - McQueen tackles a genre movie this time (the heist film), and he does a DAMN good job (just like he's done for all of his movies). The ensemble cast is great, and the script is extremely well-written. Lots of little twists that most viewers won't see coming...One of the best movies of last year...
I agree. Should have gotten some oscar noms, especially Daniel Kaluuya and Elizabeth Debicki.
Old 03-14-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by inri222
I agree. Should have gotten some oscar noms, especially Daniel Kaluuya and Elizabeth Debicki.
Especially agree about Kaluuya...I also would've been okay with Robert Duvall getting a Best Supporting Actor nod...I thought he gave a pretty memorable performance, especially some of his confrontational scenes with Colin Farrell....
Old 03-14-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The A-Team (Unrated Extended Cut) - Had never actually finished this one. Finally sat down decided not to get off the couch until I had watched the entire movie. What can I say? In terms of straight-up action movies, it's better than most (mostly because of Carnahan's direction, which doesn't go too over the top with fast cuts and whatnot)...The chemistry between the four leads is pretty solid (Cooper and Neeson are particularly good)...I usually like Patrick Wilson and thought he was great the first half of the movie, but then just went way over the top (probably a result of the writing, but still)....Probably 15-minutes too long, but this IS the Extended Cut...Sets itself up for a sequel but I guess that's never going to happen...

Glad I finally finished watching it, but not something I intend to check out again....Maybe if I'm bored and it pops up on the TV I'll watch it for a bit, but one viewing is probably enough for most folks...
Old 03-14-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unsane - Wow. Incredible Soderbergh movie. Couldn't believe he just shot this with an iPhone (and, yes, I know other movies, like Tangerine, have been shot just using an iPhone, but this was just incredible). The script was tight, the story was gripping, and the acting was fantastic. Based on the storyline (which I won't spoil), the viewer has little idea as per where the movie is going most of the time. Just a fantastic movie. One of Soderbergh's best (and I think he's made quite a few great movies, albeit with the odd dud here or there...but that's just because he's willing to experiment, which I like). I went into this one with low expectations, but those expectations were shattered. Just a really, really great movie...Highly recommended...I'm glad Soderbergh came out of his "retirement" a few years back...Claire Foy was great in this...I imagine watching this at least a few more times with friends...
Old 03-14-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The Hard Way (2019)

New action movie starring Michael Jai White, Luke Goss and Randy Couture that was just released on Netflix.

Had some good fight scenes, but overall it was just average at best. It's one of those low budget action movies that is shot in Eastern Europe. Most of the acting is pretty bad and Michael Jai White is playing the same guy he's played in many of his low budget action movies.
Old 03-14-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nemesis 3: Time Lapse (1996) — Just a continuation of the second movie with more running around in the desert and abandoned factories/warehouses, only this time the fights are poorly choreographed (even more so than the last one) but such a confusing movie time wise, not to mention a good 10 minutes was spent with flashbacks of the previous movie. Only positive I can say are the two women assassins, the only moments of anything close to good bad. 1.0/5

Nemesis 4: Cry of Angels (1996)
— Somehow, someway they managed to make an even more uninspiring movie. Most of it takes place in some abandoned/decaying neighborhood with our heroine on the run after a hit went wrong. Absolutely zero entertainment value and even the cheesy/great Andrew Divoff is only in it for maybe 10-minutes and even then it's just his face against a black background. This didn't get a 0 rating only because I have seen far worse. 0.5/5
Old 03-14-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unsane - Wow. Incredible Soderbergh movie. Couldn't believe he just shot this with an iPhone (and, yes, I know other movies, like Tangerine, have been shot just using an iPhone, but this was just incredible). The script was tight, the story was gripping, and the acting was fantastic. Based on the storyline (which I won't spoil), the viewer has little idea as per where the movie is going most of the time. Just a fantastic movie. One of Soderbergh's best (and I think he's made quite a few great movies, albeit with the odd dud here or there...but that's just because he's willing to experiment, which I like). I went into this one with low expectations, but those expectations were shattered. Just a really, really great movie...Highly recommended...I'm glad Soderbergh came out of his "retirement" a few years back...Claire Foy was great in this...I imagine watching this at least a few more times with friends...
I liked the first half. Found the second part pedestrian and average. But still impressive how it was shot, so will give Soderbergh that.
Old 03-14-19, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kelly Macdonald from Boardwalk Empire was in this.

I thought this was pretty good though ending was surprising.
Old 03-14-19, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is cheesy as hell but not surprising since it is a Disney movie.

Scary how young Hayden Panettiere was in 2000 and Ryan Gosling was one of the players.

I think the ESPYs, The Olympics, or any show using a sports montage uses the music from this movie.

I was thinking of buying it since it is only $5.99 but now I remember why I was not totally taken the first time I saw this movie.

Old 03-15-19, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Underneath - Better than I had heard (and better than Soderbergh gives it credit for) but still lesser Soderbergh. It's a solid remake of the classic film noir Criss Cross (which is one of my all-time favourite noirs), and has some good performances from Gallagher, Dooley, Fichtner, Don Baker, and Shue. The use of color filters wasn't overdone (like it is in a lot of Soderbergh movies), and it is subtly stylized...I don't know, I'm a fan...It's worth at least one viewing, I think...
Old 03-15-19, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Adventures in Babysitting - Some '80s movies have aged well, some haven't. This is one of the one that has not aged well. I remember really enjoying this when I was young, but I almost shut it off while watching it today. I think the only good thing in the movie is Elisabeth Shue. She's pretty good. Everyone else is pretty uniformly terrible. And I didn't care for the script. I don't know, just wanted to revisit this cause I think it'd been around 25 years since I last watched it...
Old 03-15-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to be in the middle of this sandwich

Old 03-15-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Once Upon a Time in America (251 Minute Extended Director's Cut) - 5/5
Old 03-15-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aquaman (2018) — Second time seeing this and still highly entertaining and didn't have as much of an issue with the pacing as I had in the theater, maybe the benefit watching in the comfort of home. Jason Momoa is in his element and loved Nicole Kidman, hopefully she'll have a larger role in the eventual sequel, same for Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Black Manta. 4.0/5
Old 03-15-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

Star Trek III The Search For Spock 4.5.5

Spoiler: They found him.
Old 03-15-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Captain Marvel - second viewing
Old 03-15-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The Boondock Saints (1999)

I borrowed the BD from my local library. I've never seen this movie, but heard it has sort of a cult following even though it was a box office bomb and somehow got a sequel 10 years later.

I don't know. I didn't really like it. It just didn't click for me.
Old 03-15-19, 03:56 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

I borrowed the BD from my local library. I've never seen this movie, but heard it has sort of a cult following even though it was a box office bomb and somehow got a sequel 10 years later.

I like you more now than I did before. Same goes for anyone who hates this movie!
Old 03-15-19, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya

I wanted to punch the guy with the beard in that movie. Probably one of the most annoying movie characters ever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.