Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mickey Rourke hasn't really done a whole lot with his comeback.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mickey Rourke hasn't really done a whole lot with his comeback.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Mickey Rourke hasn't really done a whole lot with his comeback.

"You wouldn't expect a movie called Somewhere to go nowhere"
Old 12-11-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
"You wouldn't expect a movie called Somewhere to go nowhere"
I liked it. Probably cause I've stayed at that very hotel and partied at that same bar downstairs. I live nearby. It's the little things.
Old 12-11-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I gotta agree with Grizz on this one.
Old 12-11-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Speaking of comebacks, how about that Stephen Dorff.

Old 12-12-12, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He needs more dramatic stuff. The Wrestler is one of my favorite movies. Yes, Darren Aranofsky is an incredible director and did the impossible by getting us to take Marlon Wayans seriously. But Rourke still has to have some sort of talent to be able to pull off a leading role tour de force like The Wrestler.

Back in the day he appeared in stuff like Rumble Fish and The Pope of Grenwich Village. He needs to do more like that, though those seem to be fewer and farther between nowadays. He's trying to keep the comeback going, so he's going for mainstream movies like the aforementioned Iron Man 2 and The Expendables. I think he's always great to see onscreen, but I wish he would just make more serious movies instead.
Old 12-12-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattflix
He needs more dramatic stuff. The Wrestler is one of my favorite movies. Yes, Darren Aranofsky is an incredible director and did the impossible by getting us to take Marlon Wayans seriously. But Rourke still has to have some sort of talent to be able to pull off a leading role tour de force like The Wrestler.

Back in the day he appeared in stuff like Rumble Fish and The Pope of Grenwich Village. He needs to do more like that, though those seem to be fewer and farther between nowadays. He's trying to keep the comeback going, so he's going for mainstream movies like the aforementioned Iron Man 2 and The Expendables. I think he's always great to see onscreen, but I wish he would just make more serious movies instead.
What he needs is a talented director that will put his foot up his ass & financier that is willing to take a risk by hiring him & a good director.

http://laist.com/2011/11/07/mickey_r...onofabitch.php

...."Would you make another movie with Darren Aronofsky?" to which Rourke replies, "He is a sonofabitch." Ouch. However, Rourke continues with his answer, painting Aronofsky in a much more amicable light. He adds, "...but he's so talented, I'd work with him again, but this time he'd have to pay me. He's a phenomenal director. They don't make them any better than him."

Rourke refers to Aronofsky as a "sonofabitch" once more during the interview when answering the question, "Can you be a good director and a nice guy?"

In his typical honest manner, Rourke says, "Not Darren, no. But that's OK, because if he delivers like he does, then he can be a sonofabitch." The two worked together on 2008's "The Wrestler."

The actor also notes that Aronofsky "hates" when Rourke dubs him so negatively. According to Rourke, Aronofsky, in response to the actor's banter, says, "You're going to scare all the other guys away."

http://movies.about.com/od/thewrestl...naronofsky.htm

Darren Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain) took a real chance casting Mickey Rourke as the lead in The Wrestler and it's a move that's paid off in ways even Aronofsky never anticipated. Rourke's reputation made it difficult for Aronofsky to find financing for The Wrestler, and there even came a point in the process where Rourke was released from the project because the financial backing wasn't at the level it needed to be. But Aronofsky persevered and with $6 million, Rourke as aging wrestler Randy 'The Ram' Robinson, and Marisa Tomei as a single mom/stripper who becomes involved in The Ram's life, The Wrestler got made. The result is a movie which earned Aronofsky the coveted Golden Lion award at the Venice Film Festival. And Rourke's performance is being recognized as one of the best of his lengthy career.
Old 12-12-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He was broke. Like I mean broke. He did some acting work for a video/film production company I used to work for right before The Wrestler came out. By all accounts he was nice enough, he's a little spaced out due to all the drugs and getting hit in the face with boxing gloves though.
Old 08-19-15, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eVWxC4pYI_I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-19-15, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hard to maintain a comeback when you're burning every bridge that gets you to one.
Old 08-19-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Is he wearing that Sin City makeup full-time now?
Old 08-19-15, 01:11 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

The still frame I see of Dolph Lundgren in the embedded video looks like Marv from "Sin City." MIND BLOWN
Old 05-11-21, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Maybe Iron Man 2 soured him on Hollywood

Mickey Rourke was coming off a career resurgence from his Oscar-nominated role in “The Wrestler” when he was cast as the villainous Ivan Vanko/Whiplash in “Iron Man 2.” The experience didn’t go well for Rourke, and the actor continues to take hits at Marvel over a decade after the Jon Favreau-directed sequel opened in theaters. Rourke’s latest MCU jab came while praising “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,” which the actor only recently discovered while in quarantine. Rourke said he much prefers the real acting on display in “Law & Order” to “that crap” acting featured in Marvel movies.

“Mariska Hargitay is a very concentrated actress, she is absolutely great in every episode,” Rourke wrote on social media. “Her dedication and very meticulous work put her on another level. There’s very few, if any actresses in films these days that can hold her jock strap. I give her tremendous respect for her amazing ability.”

Rourke continued, “Christopher Meloni, the man brings a lot to the table with his physicality…I also took notice to the classy and highly talented intense Stephanie March, as well as BD Wong. I’m most surprised, tremendously impressed with the charisma, the attitude and swag and sincerity that Ice T brings to his particular role. What’s especially enjoying is watching commodity of this exceptional group of actors…Respect to all of you, the work that you all do is real acting, not like that crap that all on Marvel shit.”

Rourke previously slammed Marvel in an interview with CraveOnline, claiming the studio edited out his performance in “Iron Man 2.” The actor said, “I explained to [Jon] Favreau that I wanted to bring some other layers and colors, not just make this Russian a complete murderous revenging bad guy. And they allowed me to do that. Unfortunately, the [people] at Marvel just wanted a one-dimensional bad guy, so most of the performance ended up [on] the floor.”

Rourke added, “At the end of the day you’ve got some nerd with a pocketful of money calling the shots. You know, Favreau didn’t call the shots. I wish he would have

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...150659589.html
Old 05-11-21, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think this was ever released on DVD or any streaming or premium cable channel carries it

Old 07-13-22, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think he has a point with Tom Cruise.

Maybe early in his career Tom tried different roles and genres but now he just sticks to mostly safe choices with action and franchise movies.

Don't expect Mickey Rourke to ever play Tom Cruise's wingman.

The Wrestler actor, 69, was asked about Cruise's recent billion dollar box office success with Top Gun: Maverick and gave his honest opinion about his "irrelevant" peer.

"That doesn't mean s*** to me," Rourke said on Piers Morgan Uncensored. "The guy's been doing the same effing part for 35 years, ya know? I've got no respect for that."

he Wrestler actor, 69, was asked about Cruise's recent billion dollar box office success with Top Gun: Maverick and gave his honest opinion about his "irrelevant" peer.

"That doesn't mean s*** to me," Rourke said on Piers Morgan Uncensored. "The guy's been doing the same effing part for 35 years, ya know? I've got no respect for that."

Rourke went on to say, "I don't care about money and power. I care about when I watch Al Pacino work and Chris Walken and [Robert] De Niro's early work and Richard Harris's work and Ray Winstone's work. That’s the kind of actor I want to be like. Like Monty Clift and [Marlon] Brando back in the day. A lot of guys who tried to stretch as actors."

Morgan then asked, "You don't think Tom Cruise is a good actor?" — and Rourke made his stance even more clear.

"I think he's irrelevant in my world," replied Rourke, who has been filming Roman Polanski’s upcoming film The Palace.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...145732457.html
Old 07-13-22, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

He comes across as super jealous and bitter. He needs to lose the "Val Kilmer after 10 surgeries" look.
Old 07-13-22, 08:23 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
He comes across as super jealous and bitter. He needs to lose the "Val Kilmer after 10 surgeries" look.
There was a trending tweet that said "Mickey Rourke looks like someone tried to make a Keith Urban cake on Nailed It"
The following users liked this post:
Wolf359 (07-13-22)
Old 07-13-22, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Cruise always seems to pick roles based on what hobby he wants funded for that year. And it works for him.

Rourke on the other hand:

IBJoel (07-13-22)
Old 07-13-22, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I'd watch that if Rourke's character is killed off early. He's distracting.
GoldenJCJ (07-13-22)
Old 07-13-22, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

He’s not wrong about Cruise playing the same character over and over again. In most cases literally. As an actor he rarely colors outside the lines. He still makes good movies though.
Old 07-13-22, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,212 Likes on 2,072 Posts

In the 90s and early 00s Cruise stretched his acting legs quite a bit (Interview with the Vampire, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, Collateral, etc.) but he seemed to get comfortable with the same role when the Mission: Impossible movies really started to take off.
Old 07-13-22, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's called cashing in. He singlehandedly ruined Iron Man 2. Apparently as long as the check clears, Mickey will appear in your movie.
Yes, but the way he said "bird" tho in his fake Russian accent.
Old 07-13-22, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe outside of Mission Impossible movies and Top Gun Maverick his other movies have bombed like the Mummy and American Made.

Maybe the Born on the 4th of July era Tom Cruise will never resurface.
Old 07-13-22, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
In the 90s and early 00s Cruise stretched his acting legs quite a bit (Interview with the Vampire, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, Collateral, etc.) but he seemed to get comfortable with the same role when the Mission: Impossible movies really started to take off.
Plus, he has had a stretch of films not Mission Impossible that largely underperformed. Looking at his filmography, there seems to be a run of disappointments after MI3. I'm not saying they are all bad films, but I don't think any performed as strongly as studios probably hoped or anticipated - at least domestically. And the couple that seemed like stabs at awards or something more substantial (Rock of Ages, Lions for Lambs, Valkyrie) tanked and weren't particularly well received.
Old 07-13-22, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

How about Mickey just becomes a little more humble and be grateful that he’s still getting work at his age than take a shot at a fellow acting colleague. Especially in public. I’ve always heard that he’s arrogant and difficult to work with. Cruise on the other hand loves his profession and takes care of his crews.
Old 07-13-22, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,212 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Plus, it’s not exactly like Rourke has been some sort of eclectic actor. The guy played the same “bad boy” role throughout the entire 80s and 90s. He literally had one role where he showed any sort of range.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.