Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

After Earth (Shyamalan, Will Smith, Jaden Smith 2013) New, Rumors, Cast

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

After Earth (Shyamalan, Will Smith, Jaden Smith 2013) New, Rumors, Cast

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: After Earth (Shyamalan, Will Smith, Jaden Smith 2013) New, Rumors, Cast

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Damn, Shyamalan's been on a losing streak since 2002 (Signs). From Rottentomatoes:

2013 12% After Earth
2010 6% The Last Airbender
2008 17% The Happening
2006 24% Lady in the Water
2004 43% The Village
2002 74% Signs
2000 68% Unbreakable
1999 85% The Sixth Sense
You see a losing streak; I see the start of a rebound!

In three more movies he should back above the fresh line. What a twist!
Old 05-30-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
You guys are harsh.

As bad as "The Happening" was, I think it's still 70% intriguing. It was those directional misfires (the lady in the house, the kid getting killed, a few of the murder/deaths) that made it as hokey as the Wicker Man remake. I thought all of the stuff with the evacuation and the inescapable, invisible enemy was pretty solid.
He lost me at the point when everyone tried to out run the wind...the fucking WIND!

I don't know. Maybe I just enjoy M. Night's quiet and subdued style more than most people. I couldn't watch it all the time. But I enjoy a new M. Night movie every few years.
I've been a defender of Shyamalan since the beginning but let's face it, the guy is making it harder and harder for me to defend him. I hope he does have another hit because I think he's a talented filmmaker (he just makes poor choices and let the success of his first few films go to his head). The only reason I would want After Earth to fail isn't because of Shyamalan it's because of Will Smith pushing his kids on us. Will, just because you're a successful movie star and fans come out to see you doesn't mean we'll line up like sheep to see your ugly, talentless children.
Old 05-30-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like how when The Happening came out, the marketing department decided to label it as "the first R Rated movie by M Night shama-lama-dingdong".

At that point in his career, his name was still good enough to use....as long as they added the whole "R-rating thing".

Now the dude is completely hidden except in the credits, and on the Internet. The marketing department thought it was best to not promote who directed and co-wrote the movie.

I just don't get this whole scenario regarding the career this guy has.

Maybe this director was a sexboy for the correct players in Hollywood?

M. Night is just another glitch in the matrix. Add him to the fucking list.

He must be a glitch.... That is the only rational answer, as to how this guy is in the position he is. Unless of course he paid the right "dues", with the right dudes.

I could list some other glitches in the matrix too. But that will be for another time.
Old 05-30-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This movie wasn't very good, surprise surprise.
Old 05-30-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
I like how when The Happening came out, the marketing department decided to label it as "the first R Rated movie by M Night shama-lama-dingdong".

At that point in his career, his name was still good enough to use....as long as they added the whole "R-rating thing".

Now the dude is completely hidden except in the credits, and on the Internet. The marketing department thought it was best to not promote who directed and co-wrote the movie.

He must be a glitch.... That is the only rational answer, as to how this guy is in the position he is. Unless of course he paid the right "dues", with the right dudes.

I could list some other glitches in the matrix too. But that will be for another time.

Stream of consciousness posting, nice.
Old 05-30-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343

In this film the one's with the pull are the Smith/Pinkett clan. MNS is basically a director for hire that they probably obtained for a low price due to how shitty his track record has been as of late.
Old 05-30-13, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

He's the perfect patsy really for Will's shitty idea for a Jaden movie.
Old 05-30-13, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
He's the perfect patsy really for Will's shitty idea for a Jaden movie.

I know what you're trying to say but I find it somewhat redundant. Knight has not made a good film since the first three quarter of Signs, over 10 years ago.

Smith and Smith is semantics. As if Knight's reputation can go even lower?
Old 05-30-13, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The Dark Knight M Night.
Old 05-31-13, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This movie was poop. You watch Will Smith 2 frolic around a forrest while Will Smith 1 spends the whole movie sitting in a chair and sweating on himself. It's a vanity project and a truly boring one at that. Also, both Will Smiths have shitty accents that come and go for no apparent reason. There are a lot of dead birds too.
Old 05-31-13, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

What? Noooooooooooooooooo!

I was really looking forward to seeing this.
Old 05-31-13, 05:55 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
What? Noooooooooooooooooo!

I was really looking forward to seeing this.
no worries, it looks like there will be plenty of seats for you.
Old 05-31-13, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Will passed on Django Unchained to make this thing?
Old 05-31-13, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
I thought Tarantino "convinced" him to leave.
Old 05-31-13, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There have been no humans on Earth for 1000 years, so everything evolved to kill humans?

I think Will needs to fire his entourage. He needs people around him that will tell him the truth.

And why do so many stars go to l ron hubbabubbard for their relgiuos needs?
Old 05-31-13, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
All because he wanted Django to be more of the lead instead of Dr. King Schultz and Django to
Spoiler:
kill Candie.
Old 05-31-13, 08:50 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Like The Happening, a small part of me wants to see this theatrically just to witness how terrible it really is. I doubt I'll waste the time/money this time, though.
Old 05-31-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Shyamalan not in orbit of 'After Earth' marketing

LOS ANGELES (AP) — It’s a twist worthy of an M. Night Shyamalan film: Where is the prolific writer-director in the marketing of his latest work? ‘‘The Sixth Sense’’ filmmaker has seemingly been sidelined in the promotional efforts for ‘‘After Earth,’’ his sci-fi film opening Friday starring Will and Jaden Smith as a father and son stranded on an untamed earth.

While Shyamalan’s name is the first to pop up in the credits at the conclusion of the Sony Pictures film, it’s been notably missing from trailers, TV commercials and marketing signage — a stark contrast to his previous films like ‘‘Unbreakable’’ and ‘‘Lady in the Water,’’ which were prominently billed as being ‘‘from writer-director M. Night Shyamalan.’’

‘‘Night is, without a doubt, a world-class filmmaker who we were thrilled to team up with on this project,’’ said Jeff Blake, Sony’s worldwide marketing and distribution chairman, in a statement. ‘‘Together, we decided to focus our campaign on both the action and Will and Jaden given that ‘After Earth’ is an adventure story of a father and son.’’

Sony declined to make Shyamalan available for an interview with The Associated Press for this story, but he told Moviefone
‘‘there’s such a specific expectation that comes with a name. It’s nice to have people watch the movie and then have them talk about the storyteller. It’s a healthy balance. I am very involved with all the campaigns for my movies.’’

The film has so far amassed mostly bad reviews. Richard Corliss of Time called it ‘‘lifeless, eventless, humorless, virtually movieless,’’ while Scott Foundas of Variety wrote that ‘‘nowhere in evidence is the gifted ‘Sixth Sense’ director who once brought intricately crafted set pieces and cinematic sleight of hand to even the least of his own movies.’’

After the success of 1999’s ‘‘Sixth Sense’’ and 2000’s ‘‘Unbreakable,’’ Shyamalan was hailed by many as the next Alfred Hitchcock, but his brand tarnished after the critical failures of his last three films: the 2010 fantasy ‘‘The Last Airbender,’’ 2008 thriller ‘‘The Happening’’ and 2006 suspense ‘‘Lady in the Water,’’ his only film so far to tank at the box office.

‘‘He’s a fine filmmaker, but there are more reasons not to feature him than to feature him,
’’ said Gene Del Vecchio, author of ‘‘Creating Blockbusters’’ and a marketing professor at University of Southern California’s Marshall School of Business. ‘‘The most obvious is that his star power has faded since ‘The Sixth Sense,’ both with critics and audiences.’’

Del Vecchio added that the other reasons it makes sense to downplay the 42-year-old filmmaker’s involvement include his lack of cachet in the sci-fi and action genres, as well as the fact he’s not the only writer of the film. (Will Smith is credited for creating the story, while Shyamalan shares screenwriting credit with ‘‘The Book of Eli’’ screenwriter Gary Whitta.)

Despite his absence from the marketing of ‘‘After Earth,’’ some moviegoers are still aware it’s a Shyamalan film. According to a survey of 1,000 ‘‘After Earth’’ ticket buyers by online seller Fandango, 39 percent identified him as a key factor in wanting to see the film, while 80 percent said it was Will Smith who was the main reason they bought a ticket.

Paul Dergarabedian, box office analyst for Hollywood.com, said he expects ‘‘After Earth’’ to launch this weekend with $30 million in second place behind ‘‘Fast & Furious 6,’’ which debuted in the top position last week and has earned $130 million after six days of release in North America. ‘‘After Earth’’ reportedly cost $130 million to make.

Old 05-31-13, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.efilmcritic.com/review.ph...3&reviewer=389

....Unfortunately, as second-generation talents go, Jaden Smith is much closer to Sofia Coppola the actress than to Sofia Coppola the filmmaker. His acting is so-so at best and downright irritating at worst, he demonstrates zero charisma and every time he appears on the screen, he looks as though he would rather be back in his trailer playing with his XBox than plying his trade and developing a character. Long before the movie ends, most viewers will be wishing that they could switch out both Smiths and replace them with Jimmy Fallon and Bruce Springsteen.
Old 05-31-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the new sig inri222.
Old 05-31-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I didn't even know this was an M. Night film. The trailer looked really crappy... and now I guess I know why.
Old 05-31-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is just glorious...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...you-see-560758

In a box office upset, Now You See Me beat Will Smith's sci-fi adventure After Earth as the two films rolled out in theaters Thursday night.

After Earth, which stars Will Smith opposite his son, Jaden Smith, grossed a tepid $1 million, while Summit's Now You See Me grossed $1.5 million. The magician heist pic launched at 7 p.m., two hours earlier than Sony's After Earth.
Old 05-31-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

The big difference being Now You See Me at least looks like fun.
Old 05-31-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Nobody seems to be talking about how Mark Boal polished this screenplay either. Guess his rep is still pristine after ZDT.
Old 05-31-13, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

It's because like Jonathan Nolan on Terminator Salvation he isn't credited so his name goes untarnished.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.