Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Director Would/Wouldn't You Like to Make a Bond Movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Which Director Would/Wouldn't You Like to Make a Bond Movie?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Which Director Would/Wouldn't You Like to Make a Bond Movie?

Ben Affleck might work, or perhaps Kathryn Bigelow? I'd have to see how Zero Dark Thirty turns out.
Old 11-15-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

went right past the picture! Arghhh!
Old 11-15-12, 01:33 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
No, because Cuaron made a great film whereas Columbus made two lackluster films because he's a no-talented hack. Up until the release of the last film, Prisoner of Azkaban was considered by the vast majority to be the ultimate Potter film. Columbus did shit with the two films he was involved with whereas Cuaron raised the bar and ended up setting the tone for which Mike Newell and David Yates would follow.
I have no interest (and no time - there are a lot more "musts" on my list of must-reads) in reading the Harry Potter series so I've only seen the movies. I've often said the first two are basically Scooby-Doo adventures revolving around a metaphor involving boys and their unhealthy obsession about what happens in the girls' lavatory. The third film, however, I've always maintained as absolutely brilliant; I loved it in every way. Still my favorite. People go nuts when I offer my opinion on these films, even if they specifically ask me about them.
Old 11-15-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

J.J Abrams
Old 11-15-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
J.J Abrams
I can already visualise all the lensflare during the gunbarrel sequence.
Old 11-15-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogmatica
The third film, however, I've always maintained as absolutely brilliant; I loved it in every way. Still my favorite. People go nuts when I offer my opinion on these films, even if they specifically ask me about them.

To throw in names that haven't been mentioned on directors I'd like to see helm the next Bond film:

Jon M. Chu: Unlike Marc Forster, he can at least hold a shot still for long periods of time. I still think Step Up 3D is entirely underrated, but if he does a solid job on G.I. Joe, he might be a worthy candidate.

Rian Johnson: I don't know if he would be a director for hire, but he does maintain a firm grasp on both story and visuals as his past three films have shown.

Joseph Kosinski: I liked Tron: Legacy, but it'll be interesting to see how Oblivion turns out.

Justin Lin: The man is one of the two responsible for reviving and maintaing the Fast and Furious franchise.

James McTeigue: I loved V For Vendetta and Ninja Assassin.

Pierre Morel: I really dig Taken and From Paris With Love, but I also fear that he'd end up making a Bond film similar to that of what we saw during the Brosnan era (and that's a bad thing).

Andrew Stanton: I'm in the minority, but I loved John Carter and he could be a worthy successor to Mendes.

Tom Tykwer: While Run Lola Run would be a great example on Tykwer could make a great action film, just look at the Guggenheim sequence in The International as a guarantee he could make a great Bond film.

Nicolas Winding Refn: Drive.
Old 11-15-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Alan J. Pakula could be an interesting choice, although his films aren't exactly action-oriented.

Last edited by islandclaws; 11-15-12 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-15-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Allen J. Pakula could be an interesting choice, although his films aren't exactly action-oriented.
He died in 1998 in a freak accident while driving. (I assume you meant Alan J. Pakula.)
Old 11-15-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Ben Affleck? Sounds weird to even suggest it.
I think he would do fine with a Bond film, he knows how to intertwine character moments with solid action.
Old 11-15-12, 02:53 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

For the most part the films have not been directed by "famous" or "name" directors and the films that have been directed by "name" directors have been some of the poorest entries. Die Another Day, The World is Not Enough, Quantum.

I vote for Martin Campbell. He's the only director to make a bond film that rivals the classic Connery films...and he's done it twice. I'd love for him to make one more.
Old 11-15-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
He died in 1998 in a freak accident while driving. (I assume you meant Alan J. Pakula.)
I did, and I did not know that. That sucks.
Old 11-15-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Only need to go back one movie to disprove that.
Marc Foster was the first and, most likely, last to do so.
Old 11-15-12, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
No Mickey Dolenz!
Old 11-15-12, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Ben Affleck might work, or perhaps Kathryn Bigelow? I'd have to see how Zero Dark Thirty turns out.
Ooooh. These two would be interesting.

I also await how ZDT turns out. Looks good, personally iffy on it cuz of the subject matter and my lack of knowledge on the details of it besides the generalization of it. I trust her direction though...just hope it doesn't hit what beats may make it cliche in a film like this.

Affleck would be one to stick out in a good way. He does have a certain look to his films that I like.
Old 11-15-12, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I think it would be cool to let a Harry Potter director take the helm, maybe Newell or Yates.

Not to add to the Harry Potter sidetrack, but I have to agree with crediting Cuaron for shaping most of the movies. Columbus' movies were good for what they were at the time, but that was when the franchise was primarily concerned with selling merchandise and catering to kids. The first two were very Hollywood. Cuaron took the reigns and shifted the focus to story, which needed to be done at that stage.

Anyone think Jennifer Lawrence would be a good Bond girl, or would she be too distracting in the role? I'm thinking the latter.
Old 11-15-12, 06:14 PM
Banned

I dunno. Man...how young is too young? She's 22. And looks pretty damn young. Can't imagine Bond fucking one that young.
Old 11-15-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Who says he has to fuck her? She could be along the lines of Kurylenko's character where she's more of a sidekick and maybe shares a kiss. I really hope they keep their trend of not having a traditional Bond Girl, it gives Vesper's death more significance.

I would recommend Rachel Weisz, but then it would look like nepotism on Craig's part.
Old 11-15-12, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even Mendes was a director-for-hire on Skyfall. No director will ever call the shots on a Bond film so when you're making dream director pics you're pretty much dreaming about your favorite auteur following the orders of Broccoli and Wilson and deferring to the 2nd unit for the action scenes.

It's a working formula. They don't want Spielbergs and Tarantinos. They want Glens and Campbells* who will do what they say with smiles on their faces.

*brilliant idea: Glen Campbell for next Bond theme before his brain turns to mush.
Old 11-15-12, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
^ Who says he has to fuck her? She could be along the lines of Kurylenko's character where she's more of a sidekick and maybe shares a kiss. I really hope they keep their trend of not having a traditional Bond Girl, it gives Vesper's death more significance.

I would recommend Rachel Weisz, but then it would look like nepotism on Craig's part.
I actually really liked Skyfall for not really having a Bond girl in a way. It's pretty cliche and most of the time not really done well.
Old 11-15-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Even Mendes was a director-for-hire on Skyfall. No director will ever call the shots on a Bond film so when you're making dream director pics you're pretty much dreaming about your favorite auteur following the orders of Broccoli and Wilson and deferring to the 2nd unit for the action scenes.

It's a working formula. They don't want Spielbergs and Tarantinos. They want Glens and Campbells* who will do what they say with smiles on their faces.

*brilliant idea: Glen Campbell for next Bond theme before his brain turns to mush.
I won't argue that they aren't directors for hire when it all boils down, but I think having one that is reputable behind the camera prevents the movie from looking like it.
Old 11-15-12, 07:43 PM
Banned

Very much so.

Mendes (w/ the great Deakins...sooooo pretty) really made it stand apart from the assembly line look these films have (while being very pretty as well at times).
Old 11-16-12, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattflix
On one hand, a better director will likely get you a better movie. But a hired gun may make the overall series more uniform, which is very important to keep a certain tone going.
Better movie >>> keeping things uniform

What happens when you keep a certain tone going? Taken 2, Hangover 2, Transformers 2, etc. Give me quality over stale, predictable formula every time.

Wasn't it awkward going from Chris Columbus to Alfonso Cuaron in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban?
Nope. It was a breath of fresh air.
Old 11-16-12, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I think it would be cool to let a Harry Potter director take the helm, maybe Newell or Yates.
And wait till Daniel Radcliffe is old enough to play Bond. And have Q be the old magician who gives him magic wands and stuff as gadgets.