Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cinemark to Reward Customers Who Don't Use Their Phones During Films

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cinemark to Reward Customers Who Don't Use Their Phones During Films

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-12, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Cinemark to Reward Customers Who Don't Use Their Phones During Films

As usual with these threads, you have people who want to be an exception to the rule. Just shut the fucking things off.
"What if there's an emergency??????" What did you do 15 years ago, call home on a payphone every 10 fucking minutes to see if everything is OK.
No, you sat for 2 fucking hours and saw the movie. Then you went home and you know what, everything was OK.
Old 11-17-12, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
So how many minutes did it take you to agree to a 20% car loan?
Wow, you don't even try anymore.

I forgive you.
Old 11-17-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fun facts:
  • The first "reward" you receive using CineMode is that of a free medium drink.
  • As I discovered, you don't have to "check in" to a specific location to enable CineMode. As I discovered playing with the app last night, just turn CineMode on for two hours and you now have a coupon.

Old 11-17-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
As usual with these threads, you have people who want to be an exception to the rule. Just shut the fucking things off.
"What if there's an emergency??????" What did you do 15 years ago, call home on a payphone every 10 fucking minutes to see if everything is OK.
No, you sat for 2 fucking hours and saw the movie. Then you went home and you know what, everything was OK.

Exactly.
Old 11-19-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 536 Posts

BOGO Coupons for things you have to buy at the concession stand? No thanks. If it gave me rewards towards free tickets, maybe.
Old 01-22-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 306 Posts

This thing doesn't even work half the time. It gives an error and says try back later after you turn it off when the movie ends.
Old 01-23-13, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Whats next, giving gift certificates to people who will be quiet in a library.
My thoughts exactly. Cinemark is taking the completely wrong tack to get people to stay off their phones during movies.

I'd like to see theaters do this instead. Before the feature starts show this on the screen for thirty seconds.

Use your phone during the movie... we'll throw your ass out and won't refund your money.

This could also be adapted for other obnoxious movie-going behaviors like texting, talking, bringing kids to inappropriate movies, etc.
Old 01-23-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to know when it became acceptable for people to be loud or rude in some way and then act as if you are the one that is rude when you ask them to stop?!

Like my wife was saying the other day at 'Rust and Bone', it's amazing how many run ins we have had with rude people. Over the past year I've encountered all kinds of rudeness and, unlike many, I don't stand for it, which usually means things get a bit crazy.

I'm with Inri and jon, since when do we reward people for doing what they should be doing anyway? Screw these people! Just be very blunt about the issue. "You cause a disturbance to other customers, we will make you leave, no refund".

I had an interesting Rude/helpful guy at the showing of 'Rust and Bone'.

It's in a cheaper theater so no stadium seating, all basically flat with slight slope down to front. Well, we were the first ones in and were there for 10 minutes before anyone else. People start coming in but it's by no means sold out, not even close. This woman comes in and sits right down in front of us. As most movie goers know, etiquette is don't sit directly in front of someone at these type of theaters unless it's a must. Try and give a row buffer so your head isn't obstructing the person directly behind you. Well, she didn't care and when her husband came in he sat right down in front of me, making us move. Douchebags. They were being loud before it started and my wife was worried as was I that another confrontation was going to happen. When the film actually started though they shut up. In fact he became helpful when two old guys came in as it was starting and continued their loud conversation even as the actual film is on. Guy in front of me shushed them loudly. They kept up and he shushed them even louder. Another person in their same row started talking and he shushed them. He was a major shusher which is fine with me because I didn't have to be the confrontier.

If only people had some respect and courtesy.
Old 01-23-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
If only people had some respect and courtesy.
Alot of people are too self centered to give a shit about anyone else. It is always about them and what they want. The rules apply to everyone else except them.