Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-15, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (12/18/2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fi

Originally Posted by Shazam
Wait until you hear his narration.
"They don't advertise for smugglers on the HoloNet..."
Old 06-21-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (12/18/2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fi

You guys are good. That brought the laughing.
Old 07-06-15, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Is it true we are supposed to get a new trailer this Friday July 10th at Comic-Con when they have the Star Wars panel?
Old 07-06-15, 07:00 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No. Clue. What does the internet say?
Old 07-06-15, 07:22 AM

I take everything with a grain of salt:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/star-wa...n-panel-453562
Old 07-06-15, 07:27 AM
Banned

oh. So there's nobody really saying we will get one except those who say we most likely will get one?

There's a chance. It's comic con. Otherwise... who cares about speculation for it? Either we do get one or we don't.
Old 07-06-15, 07:32 AM

Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Old 07-06-15, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Win
Old 07-06-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,419 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Can somebody please try to ask about the unaltered originals on Bluray this year?

How do all these events pass and nobody thinks to ask that?
Old 07-06-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,223 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Can somebody please try to ask about the unaltered originals on Bluray this year?

Probably because there's not really a demand for it in the comic con going community.
Old 07-06-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because most people know it's NEVER going to happen.
Old 07-06-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why don't we ask Disney about SONG OF THE SOUTH while we're at it?
Old 07-06-15, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

Why don't we ask Disney about SONG OF THE SOUTH while we're at it?
That's not really a fair comparison. The Star Wars OOT might not be extremely high in demand, but it is significantly higher in demand than Song of the South.

Before George Lucas sold the property, I would have said there was no chance of the OOT being released, but now I would say there is definitely a chance especially with the 40th anniversary coming up in 2017.
Old 07-06-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Probably because there's not really a demand for it in the comic con going community.
I find that hard to believe. The diehard fans of the franchise are the ones who are asking for it and at least a portion of them attend conventions. Granted there are probably just as many blind fanboys who are sheep and will just buy into whatever Lucas/Disney tells them to attending conventions too.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-06-15 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-06-15, 12:54 PM

Anybody going to the event? Here is when the SW panel takes place on Friday:

5:30pm - 6:30pm - Lucasfilm Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Lucasfilm president and producer Kathleen Kennedy, director J.J. Abrams, writer Lawrence Kasdan, and special guests provide a special look at Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Hall H
Old 07-06-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

So will Harrison Ford show up to make up for missing Celebration? I'm sure he's gotta be recovered from his plane crash by now since he's been seen out and about.
Old 07-06-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
There's not really a demand for it in general.

Here's a little anecdote for you: I don't have any kids but I recently showed all 6 episodes to my 7-year-old nephew. When we were watching ROTJ my brother-in-law decided to sit on the couch alongside my nephew and me. He was more interested in browsing his iPad, but he was still somewhat following the movie.

During the Jedi Rocks scene he looks up and says "this wasn't always in the movie was it?" I explained that every time the Star Wars movies are re-released Lucas inevitably goes in and changes shit.

Now if the Internet was any indication he would have ejected the Blu-ray Disc from his PS4, snapped it in half and chastised me for hours for exposing his son to a bastardization of a treasured cultural heirloom before forcibly ejecting me from his home and banning me from any future contact, but you know what? He just went back to playing on his iPad. The same scenes he always enjoyed were still there. It still has the speeder bikes. All the throne room stuff. The ewoks were still there, for better or worse.

It was still Return of the Jedi to him, and I had no doubt that if he ever wanted to watch it he would accept the 2014 version, and he would certainly buy that version for his son if asked for a copy as a birthday or Christmas present.

That's how the overwhelming majority of people see the changed versions. It's easy to assume that all the passionate and angry nerds complaining online are just the tip of the iceberg but sometimes the tip of the iceberg is the whole iceberg.
Old 07-06-15, 01:58 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Fuck icebergs.
Old 07-06-15, 02:00 PM
Banned

That's a big pussy to fuck, man.
Old 07-06-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

There is plenty of want from around the SW community for unaltered BD releases. Just look over at Originaltrilogy.
I've got the Harmy releases that pretty much come as close as they ever will (for now anyway unless Lucas/Disney release) and most fans already know of this so they deal with what they have.
Lucas/Disney would be fools to not use this opportunity to cash grab like they do and release yet another collection. Just give the fans what they fucking want. All you have to do is add some fancy tag on the set and you'll sell to the unknowing just as well.
There is another group releasing the 35mm theatrical soon enough of Episodes IV V VI
Old 07-06-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Guru Askew
There's not really a demand for it in general.

Here's a little anecdote for you: I don't have any kids but I recently showed all 6 episodes to my 7-year-old nephew. When we were watching ROTJ my brother-in-law decided to sit on the couch alongside my nephew and me. He was more interested in browsing his iPad, but he was still somewhat following the movie.

During the Jedi Rocks scene he looks up and says "this wasn't always in the movie was it?" I explained that every time the Star Wars movies are re-released Lucas inevitably goes in and changes shit.

Now if the Internet was any indication he would have ejected the Blu-ray Disc from his PS4, snapped it in half and chastised me for hours for exposing his son to a bastardization of a treasured cultural heirloom before forcibly ejecting me from his home and banning me from any future contact, but you know what? He just went back to playing on his iPad. The same scenes he always enjoyed were still there. It still has the speeder bikes. All the throne room stuff. The ewoks were still there, for better or worse. It was still Return of the Jedi to him, and I had no doubt that if he ever wanted to watch it he would accept the 2014 version, and he would certainly buy that version for his son if asked for a copy as a birthday or Christmas present.

That's how the overwhelming majority of people see the changed versions. It's easy to assume that all the passionate and angry nerds complaining online are just the tip of the iceberg but sometimes the tip of the iceberg is the whole iceberg.
Sad, but pretty much accurate. I think that most of the population is probably indifferent to what a handful of fans online regard as a pretty big issue.

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Fuck icebergs.
I'm not that desperate.

Originally Posted by VHS?
There is plenty of want from around the SW community for unaltered BD releases. Just look over at Originaltrilogy.com
Yes, but that is a community made of weird people like me. It's likely that normal, well-adjusted people in day-today society who get laid from time to time probably aren't even aware of the changes.

I've got the Harmy releases that pretty much come as close as they ever will (for now anyway unless Lucas/Disney release) and most fans already know of this so they deal with what they have.
I have to get me that Blu-ray burner.

Lucas/Disney would be fools to not use this opportunity to cash grab like they do and release yet another collection. Just give the fans what they fucking want. All you have to do is add some fancy tag on the set and you'll sell to the unknowing just as well.
The major obstacle there is the endlessly talked about legal wranglings with Fox as well as the damage Lucas did to the negatives. That said, as I've said many times, what they should do is put the OOT on BD remastered in 4K (PROPERLY, I wouldn't pay for it half-assed) in a big-ass boxed set, meaning that the only way to get it would be to lay through the nose for the giant set to get those three. I would certainly PREFER that they not do that, but if it was remastered correctly (I cannot stress that enough, because I don't think I've ever been more excited than when the 2008 release was announced only to have the rug pulled out with the non-anamorphic horseshit, it was like being edged, it was just absolutely horrible.) I will pay damn near any price.

There is another group releasing the 35mm theatrical soon enough of Episodes IV V VI
I'm pretty sure I will be spending the night with Alexandra Daddario and Scarlett Johansson before the OOT ever gets screened in 35mm again .

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 07-06-15 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-06-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Chris Stuckmann uploaded his newest retro Star Wars review. This month its a combination of The Clone Wars mini series, film, and TV series.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7NhBVvdGzaQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-06-15, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I'm pretty sure I will be spending the night with Alexandra Daddario and Scarlett Johansson before the OOT ever gets screened in 35mm again .
Team Negative1 has reels they have been working with. Samples have been posted and so far they look great. Nobody will be seeing a 35mm print, but people will get the results of them in the highest quality possible.
Old 07-06-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No new trailer at SDCC this weekend.

ew.com

Director J.J. Abrams, screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan, and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy are already confirmed as part of the panel, which will be moderated by Nerdist impresario and Talking Dead host Chris Hardwick.
Goddamnit.
Old 07-06-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
So will Harrison Ford show up to make up for missing Celebration? I'm sure he's gotta be recovered from his plane crash by now since he's been seen out and about.
I highly doubt it. He was healthy enough to attend Celebration, but didn't go...even though he was already out and about driving around and making visits to Steven Spielberg's house.

Ford is notoriously press-shy. Has he EVER attended one of these big cons? Did he show up for Ender's Game or for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.