Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,808 Likes on 1,930 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I'm not clicking spoilers ... Please tell me it isn't all about water rights on Tatooine.
Game of Thrones.

Think Lannisters.
Old 02-06-15, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Lucas got burned out during the production of Empire -- it went over budget, Kershner wouldn't listen to him and made the film far darker than Lucas wanted, and if it had been merely as successful as Jaws 2, Lucas would've lost his entire fortune
I didn't know that. Secret History of Star Wars? If anything, it seems to have far less chaos of production on the screen than ROTJ. ESB really looks cohesive. ROTJ looks more like a film pieces. Oh, and it also turned out to be far and away the best one. There may be a moral to this story.

-- and when it came time to do Jedi, he scaled everything back, hired a journeyman director he could control, and wrapped up the entire story in a single film. After that Lucas was content to sit back and produce disposable schlock like the Ewok films.
I have always heard Lucas basically ghost-directed ROTJ. Nearly everything outside of his two big franchises which Lucas has put his name on has tanked financially too, which can't be encouraging to him.

Originally Posted by taffer
You can't really compare movie ticket sales to book sales.

500 billion trillion zillion people will go watch a Batman movie. Yet the Batman comics barely sell 100,000 copies per month.
Reading comics, especially superhero comics sold direct market, is a bit different from regular books, especially when it's specifically catering the same 100,000 people over and over and over again.

The simple fact is that everyone loves movies, but yet few people actually like reading for fun. Reading for fun? is that nonsense. Who reads for fun?
I try to. Sometimes I think living in this hyper-visual age has dulled my ability to. Then I think that's just a dumb excuse I made up for myself.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 02-06-15 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-06-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

refresh me on the snow fight leak: was
Spoiler:
driver fighting both ridley and boyega? all three had lightsabers?
Old 02-06-15, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

^
Spoiler:
The person who posted about the scene on TheForce.net boards back in September mentioned Boyega had a blue saber and was dueling with Driver. This was also the first description I'd read of the "cross light" handle on the red saber, so it sounds legit. They also claimed that Ridley is on the ground during the duel, having been severely injured by Driver. The concept art of the scene shows Rey (presumably) holding a blue saber, so maybe she and Finn use the same one at different points.
Old 02-06-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Real talk

Old 02-06-15, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
Spoiler:
I would rather think of Luke as one of the Jedi that never marries or has a kid at all I guess.
I feel the same. I seem to remember Gleeson saying that he hoped he wasn't cut out of the movie. If those spoilers are legit, his role sounds pretty vital to the overall plot.

Spoiler:
Though a third Death Star would feel stale, I like the idea of an internal power struggle within the Republic -- i.e. certain parties building a super weapon in secret and Leia only discovering its existence when the need to use it arises. Those opposing ideologies might make for interesting drama if Leia refuses to go along with the plan. I really hope they bring her relation to Vader out in the open. I don't know how that could be uncovered (maybe a private conversation is overheard), but it would make for some good drama if Leia's colleagues cause her to be shunned by the very Republic she spent her life trying to rebuild by revealing her birth father was one of the galaxy's greatest monsters. It's too interesting an angle not to explore, imo.
Old 02-08-15, 05:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't know where to put this. I'd seen the diagram of how many what was in there but never knew how the fuck it worked in there...

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/118751672" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Slimy Piece of Worm-Ridden Filth - Life Inside Jabba the Hutt - @Jamieswb from Jamie Benning on Vimeo.

Old 02-08-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Spoiler:
It isn't necessarily him finding love and getting married after Return of the Jedi that bothers me. I said that it could have happened in my post as well, I just don't necessarily want the Sequel Trilogy to focus on the offspring of the main cast from the Original Trilogy. I would rather think of Luke as one of the Jedi that never marries or has a kid at all I guess.
Spoiler:
So does Luke just rub one out from time to time? I'd think all that back pressure would turn him to the Dark Side after a few weeks
Old 02-08-15, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Spoiler:
So does Luke just rub one out from time to time? I'd think all that back pressure would turn him to the Dark Side after a few weeks
Spoiler:
I wonder if a Jedi has ever used the Force to make an "invisible hand" to jerk it? Great. Now I can't get the image out of my head of Yoda jerking it with the Force for 20 years on Dagobah.
Old 02-08-15, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 500 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o5S5tBuNJdM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-11-15, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So the rumor of the day is that JJ wants to push the release date up to the summer to beat the inevitable leaks.

There's so much at stake that I can't see it happening. Every licensee would be rushing to get their merch out in time and it's naive to pretend that isn't the most important thing.

I also can't imagine that anyone involved is legitimately concerned that spoilers would have any commercial affect on the movie.
Old 02-11-15, 08:24 PM

^ Yeah, that ain't happening. The site that first ran the story (ikwiz) said Abrams announced this at a Hollywood event -- which has already been debunked.
Old 02-12-15, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
So the rumor of the day is that JJ wants to push the release date up to the summer to beat the inevitable leaks.

There's so much at stake that I can't see it happening. Every licensee would be rushing to get their merch out in time and it's naive to pretend that isn't the most important thing.

I also can't imagine that anyone involved is legitimately concerned that spoilers would have any commercial affect on the movie.
Originally Posted by joe_b
^ Yeah, that ain't happening. The site that first ran the story (ikwiz) said Abrams announced this at a Hollywood event -- which has already been debunked.
It's near impossible to move an event movie like this around at all. Aside from whether or not they'll have post-production and all of the special effects work done on time, you're still looking at dozens of licensees who are already working with the old schedule and probably couldn't meet a release date that was pushed up to the summer if they wanted to.
Old 02-12-15, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew

Will never happen... for so many logistical reasons. The least of which is rumors leaking.
Old 02-17-15, 06:17 PM

MAJOR spoiler posted by MakingStarWars involving the fate of one of the big three... though not one we haven't expected. Still, AVOID at all costs if you want to stay in the dark.

Spoiler:
Han is killed by Kylo Ren outside the "evil castle" while attempting to confront him. The report says they know for certain this was shot at Pinewood -- though that doesn't mean much, as Abrams could have shot it simply to throw people off. Still, it makes sense given Ford's indifference to the character over the years. An earlier report from an unproven source implied Kylo is actually Han's son and Rey's brother -- which might explain why Han would try to reason with him. So Ren could just be a bad seed obsessed with becoming more powerful than granddaddy Vader.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/02/st...r-death-great/

The parallels to A New Hope keep revealing themselves with each new report:

- Rey keeps a vital item (the lightsaber with the crystal) hidden inside a droid.
- The new crew hook up with Han to get off Tatooine.
- They do a raid on a heavily guarded compound to rescue someone.
- An elder gets struck down by a Sith(ish) while the young'uns look on.
- They escaping on the Falcon before hooking up with the Rebellion for a final battle.

Despite the rewrites, it sounds like George's "poetry" structure with these trilogies is alive and well.
Old 02-17-15, 06:30 PM
Banned

MAJOR spoiler posted by MakingStarWars involving the fate of one of the big three... though not one we haven't expected. Still, AVOID at all costs if you want to stay in the dark.

Spoiler:
Han is killed by Kylo Ren outside the "evil castle" while attempting to confront him. The report says they know for certain this was shot at Pinewood -- though that doesn't mean much, as Abrams could have shot it simply to throw people off. Still, it makes sense given Ford's indifference to the character over the years. An earlier report from an unproven source implied Kylo is actually Han's son and Rey's brother -- which might explain why Han would try to reason with him. So Ren could just be a bad seed obsessed with becoming more powerful than granddaddy Vader.

- Rey keeps a vital item (the lightsaber with the crystal) hidden inside a droid.
- They escaping on the Falcon before hooking up with the Rebellion for a final battle.

Despite the rewrites, it sounds like George's "poetry" structure with these trilogies is alive and well.
Spoiler:
Kylo Ren is the cross-hilt lightsaber guy, right? I'm still not familiar with all the new names, but I think that's right.

I hope Han says his thing about ancient weapons being no match for a good blaster, and then Kylo instantly cuts him down. Kinda like the inverse of the gun/sword "duel" from Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Old 02-17-15, 06:46 PM

^

Old 02-17-15, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoiler:
This is what happens when Han doesn't shoot first.

That cross saber is still one of the dumbest fucking things I have seen.
Old 02-17-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley

Here we go again...
Old 02-17-15, 08:58 PM
Banned

Beat that dead horse! It ain't dead enough so beat it some more!
Old 02-17-15, 09:51 PM
Banned

Horse ain't dead yet. Fuckin' stupid design.
Old 02-17-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Horse ain't dead yet.
That horse is dead and turned into Alpo. The dogs that ate the Alpo are all dead of old age. That's how dead the horse is.
Old 02-17-15, 10:13 PM
Banned

Horse still eating from my hands.
Old 02-17-15, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:

Maybe, maybe not. There are lots of spoilers floating around, most of them contradictory. So either people are just making shit up, or JJA and Lucasfilm are releasing foilers.

Pretty impressive that we don't yet have any 'definitive' plot synopsis yet.
Old 02-18-15, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
There are lots of spoilers floating around, most of them contradictory.
Very true. They're fun to read/speculate about, but these "spoiler" reports are getting more conflicting by the day. Case in point:

Spoiler:
MSW is now saying Gleeson's character is "probably not" Luke's son and that he personally fires the Empire's super weapon in the movie. Certainly not the actions of a good guy. They also mention that Rey doesn't appear to be a Skywalker or a Solo because she has never seen or heard of the Falcon when she and Finn first happen upon it. Considering Daisy Ridley looks like an attractive brunette in the Portman/Knightley mold, I'll be surprised (or at least a little disappointed) if she's not playing Han and Leia's kid.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.