Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,158 Likes on 904 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Serkis, von Syd

That's cool. Warwick Davis does seem like a decent guy and I liked the limited run series he did with Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, Life's Too Short on HBO.
Old 10-16-14, 04:38 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Serkis, von Syd

I'd like to see him play a battle hardened Wicket, with an eye patch, a cyber hand, smoking a cigar.
Old 10-16-14, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
The screenplay to Episode I was in bookstores a week before the movie came out. I remember reading it while listening to the soundtrack and thinking, "This has to work better on screen. There's no way it's as shitty as this sounds."
Ironically, I remember picking up the soundtrack before the movie was released, and thinking no way would they give away the end of the movie in the titles of the last few tracks. LOL.
Old 10-16-14, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe_b

I had the comic adaption beforehand, but I'm not sure if I read it before seeing the film. If I did, I still wasn't clear on every thing in the plot. On opening day, I had to go to the restroom during the big Queen Amidala decoy reveal and didn't really understand what was going on. Unlike most, I could easily tell the difference between Portman and Knightley in the film -- but I still didn't grasp what all the subterfuge was about (or if Natalie was actually supposed to be playing two different characters). Later, I discovered the whole royal decoy concept was just another idea Lucas ripped off from "The Hidden Fortress".
Only Lucas could take something like a simple decoy and make it more complicated than it needed to be. He was such a terrible writer.
Old 10-16-14, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
Only Lucas could take something like a simple decoy and make it more complicated than it needed to be. He was such a terrible writer.
didn't lucas write the 1st star wars and american graffitti?
Old 10-16-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mostaccioli
didn't lucas write the 1st star wars and american graffitti?
The Graffiti script was a collaboration with Gloria Katz and Willard Huyck (the pair responsible for Howard the Duck). They also did an uncredited "comedy polish" on the Star Wars script, providing much of the humor in the finished film.
Old 10-16-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The Empire Strikes Back novelization was in stores a good month before the movie came out, because I read it before seeing the film. I also remember the comic book adaptation of ROTJ being released a few weeks before the movie.
That's nothing on the novelization of the original film, which came out so far in advance (six months) that many people thought it was an original novel and the movie an adaptation.
Old 10-17-14, 08:01 AM
Banned

Wasn't Yoda blue instead of green in the ESB novel?
Old 10-17-14, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
Don't give them any ideas for more changes in the next release!
Old 10-17-14, 08:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Don't give them any ideas for more changes in the next release!
The Super Special Editions coming in 2017! Now Jar Jar will be CG'ed into the original trilogy as if he had been with them the whole time! Luke's face will be CG'ed to more closely resemble his father, Hayden Christensen! This time Han doesn't shoot at all, and instead he walks over and punches Greedo! Ewoks not only blink, but now they fart and make fart jokes!

I do wonder if they have anything planned for 2017 since that will be the 40th anniversary.
Old 10-17-14, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

I do wonder if they have anything planned for 2017 since that will be the 40th anniversary.
I'm sure I'm in the minority but I'd love a copy of the OT in 3D 4K.
Old 10-17-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 990 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
That decoy subplot was handled so poorly in the finished film. It provided no dramatic tension to the plot whatsoever. The "big reveal" was just confusing and awkward. Everyone knew Portman was playing the queen going into the movie, so I'm not sure what Lucas thought he was doing. Fast forward to episode II and come to find out that even though she's a queen, she's actually an elected queen because for some reason Naboo elects teenage girls to lead them. Now she's a senator having been nominated by the new teenage girl queen? What? And despite Amidala being her "royal" name, she starts using it as her last name? Ugh. The original film worked so well because it was simple and relied on timeless archetypes with engaging personalities to drive the action. Why he thought everything in the prequels needed to be so needlessly complicated I will never know.
Old 10-17-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,424 Likes on 1,040 Posts

The original comic adaptation by Marvel was done off a lot of pre-production artwork so Yoda was purplish and more spindly legged.

There's a scan halfway down this page

http://classiccomics.boards.net/thread/151/force

(there's also a picture of the humanoid Jabba the Hut)
Old 10-17-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
That decoy subplot was handled so poorly in the finished film. It provided no dramatic tension to the plot whatsoever. The "big reveal" was just confusing and awkward. Everyone knew Portman was playing the queen going into the movie, so I'm not sure what Lucas thought he was doing. Fast forward to episode II and come to find out that even though she's a queen, she's actually an elected queen because for some reason Naboo elects teenage girls to lead them. Now she's a senator having been nominated by the new teenage girl queen? What? And despite Amidala being her "royal" name, she starts using it as her last name? Ugh. The original film worked so well because it was simple and relied on timeless archetypes with engaging personalities to drive the action. Why he thought everything in the prequels needed to be so needlessly complicated I will never know.
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell Palpatine's plan was in Episode I. He went to great lengths to keep Amidala away from Coruscant, even going so far as to reveal the existence of the Sith, yet five minutes after she lands in the capital, she gets him elected Chancellor. If he hadn't sent Darth Maul to Tatooine and Naboo, everything would've worked out exactly the same, except the Jedi wouldn't have the slightest suspicion that a Sith Lord was behind everything.
Old 10-17-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 990 Likes on 698 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell Palpatine's plan was in Episode I. He went to great lengths to keep Amidala away from Coruscant, even going so far as to reveal the existence of the Sith, yet five minutes after she lands in the capital, she gets him elected Chancellor. If he hadn't sent Darth Maul to Tatooine and Naboo, everything would've worked out exactly the same, except the Jedi wouldn't have the slightest suspicion that a Sith Lord was behind everything.
You're talking about the same character who had the foresight to commission a secret army 10 years prior to the exact moment that he would be granted the necessary powers with which to command said army. This plan also involved a (purposely?) failed assassination plot that led to Obi-Wan snooping around Kamino and conveniently discovering the existence of this secret army right at the previously mentioned exact moment it was needed. What if Obi-Wan had been a really bad detective? What if he was off on Hoth or something following a bad lead? I know just about any movie will have plot holes if you scrutinize it closely enough, but come on. Why set the degree of difficulty so high? Look at the plot of Empire. Bad guys chase good guys. That's it. And it's by far the best film in the series (in my opinion of course). Hopefully all the talk of getting back to basics on the sequels includes a lean and mean script free of all the unnecessary bloat.
Old 10-17-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The screenplay to Episode I was in bookstores a week before the movie came out. I remember reading it while listening to the soundtrack and thinking, "This has to work better on screen. There's no way it's as shitty as this sounds."
No you didn't.
Old 10-17-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,030 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The Empire Strikes Back novelization was in stores a good month before the movie came out, because I read it before seeing the film. I also remember the comic book adaptation of ROTJ being released a few weeks before the movie.
Wow, so was the big reveal (I am your father!) included in those?
Old 10-17-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Yep. I remember reading the novelization before seeing the movie and doing my own version of "...NOOOO!!....."
Old 10-17-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 328 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I honestly can't remember, but I want to say it was left out or only hinted at.
Old 10-17-14, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,424 Likes on 1,040 Posts

I'll check tonight, I still have my old comic adaptation from '80.
Old 10-17-14, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 347 Posts

My mother said that she had the Vader/Luke reveal ruined by a review in the newspaper days before Empire opened. Wisely she kept that shit to herself because my parents took my brother to see it opening day.
Old 10-17-14, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
The decoy subplot seems like one of those bugs that Lucas gets up his ass that he just can't let go of. Like putting Jabba back in ANH even though it served no purpose whatsoever. Or the "there is another" line in ESB which snowballed into making Leia Luke's sister in the next movie.
Old 10-17-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

From the ESB paperback:

....."If you only knew the power of the dark side," Vader continued. "Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father, did he?"
......Mention of his father aroused Luke's anger. "He told me enough!" he yelled. "He told me you killed him."
....."No," Vader replied calmly. "I am your father."
.....Stunned, Luke stared with disbelief at the black-clad warrior and then pulled away at this revelation. The two warriors stood staring at one another, father and son.
....."No, no! That's not true. . ." Luke said, refusing to believe what he had just heard. "That's impossible."
....."Search your feelings," Vader said, sounding like an evil version of Yoda, "you know it to be true."
.....Then Vader turned off the blade of his lightsaber and extended a steady and inviting hand.
.....Bewildered and horror-stricken at Vader's words, Luke shouted, "No! No!"
.....Vader continued persuasively. "Luke, you can destroy the Emperor. He has foreseen this. It is your destiny. Join me and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son. Come with me. It is the only way."
.....Luke's mind whirled with those words. Everything was finally beginning to coalesce in his brain. Or was it? He wondered if Vader were telling him the truth--if the training of Yoda, the teaching of saintly old Ben, his own strivings for good and his abhorrence of evil, if everything he had fought for were no more than a lie.
.....He didn't want to believe Vader, tried convincing himself that it was Vader who lied to him--but somehow he could feel the truth in the Dark Lord's words. But, if Darth Vader did speak the truth, why, he wondered, had Ben Kenobi lied to him? Why? His mind screamed louder than any wind the Dark Lord could ever summon against him.
.....The answers no longer seemed to matter.
.....His Father.
.....With the calmness that Ben himself and Yoda, the Jedi Master, had taught him, Luke Skywalker made, perhaps, what might be his final decision of all. "Never," Luke shouted as he stepped out into the empty abyss beneath him. For all its unperceived depth, Luke might have been falling to another galaxy.

Last edited by Matt; 10-17-14 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-17-14, 07:03 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

Then what!?
Old 10-17-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Darth Vader tells Luke he's his father. . . and you won't believe what happens next!

Last edited by Matt; 10-17-14 at 07:11 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.