Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Serkis, von Syd

Originally Posted by TGM
JJ holds Star Wars as sacred. I severely doubt he will do anything to make it stylistically different than the OT.
I only wish JJ had that same faithful attitude to Star Trek as well. But, who cares? It's just a stupid tv show after all, and not a series of major groundbreaking motion pictures...
Old 09-12-14, 11:01 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Serkis, von Syd

A better look at the new X-Wing fighters:

2D cutouts of three additional X-Wings are positioned in front of the other bunkers. Either a space battle is about to go down or this could be some kind of flight academy (considering there is a leaked video showing extras jogging in formation during a take).

John Boyega was part of this shoot. You can hear someone give him his cue over a loudspeaker (as well as someone named Denise) in the leaked video, but no clear pictures of the main actors have surfaced.

Here are some people in costume -- probably just extras, though.

Spoiler:

From @BlondeJamesDean:

Last edited by joe_b; 09-12-14 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
After those two Star Trek movies, Abrams can look George Lucas in the eye and claim that "I was but the apprentice, now I am the master."
FTFY.

As long as Damon Lindelof's grubby little dickskinners are parsecs away from this project, I'll give it a wait and see.
Old 09-14-14, 04:01 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

A guy on Facebook posted a few shots of what may or may not be the new cast members filming at Greenham Common:

Spoiler:

Adam Driver? The build and hairstyle match. If he's piloting an X-Wing, that means he's a good guy and the rumor of him playing an aristocratic Sith fanatic was just a load of bunk.

Fans are speculating this could be Gwendoline Christie and Crystal Clarke. I'm not 100% sure the person on the left is female, let alone tall enough to be Christie. The one on the right looks more like Maisie Richardson-Sellers than Crystal Clarke to me (lighter skin tone), but they could just be random extras.

John Boyega?

Some think the person on the far right in this photo could be Harrison (or his stand-in) because of the outfit and light hair color.

All of this seems pretty tame compared to the photos/videos leaked during location shooting on other big movies (like Batman vs. Superman), yet the guy who shot these claims to have already been contacted by team Star Wars and asked to remove them or face copyright infringement. I'm surprised to hear they're taking such a harsh stance. Kathleen Kennedy had said the production would need to embrace location photos leaking out because they were almost impossible to avoid and fans were important to the process.

Well, speaking as a Star Wars fan: following the production of the prequels and speculating on the latest spy photos and spoiler reports ended up being far more entertaining then the films themselves. Too bad this production seems ready to role out their legal team when we get even a minor taste of that for the new movie. Screw J.J. and his "mystery box".

Last edited by joe_b; 09-14-14 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-15-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe_b
A better look at the new X-Wing fighters:

2D cutouts of three additional X-Wings are positioned in front of the other bunkers. Either a space battle is about to go down or this could be some kind of flight academy (considering there is a leaked video showing extras jogging in formation during a take).

John Boyega was part of this shoot. You can hear someone give him his cue over a loudspeaker (as well as someone named Denise) in the leaked video, but no clear pictures of the main actors have surfaced.

Here are some people in costume -- probably just extras, though.
Old 09-15-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

I want Han to die in Chewie's arms. You hear him growl something and then Han says "I know" and then he dies.
Old 09-15-14, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I want Han to die in Chewie's arms. You hear him growl something and then Han says "I know" and then he dies.
That's actually kind of sweet. Although I still don't think Han is going to die. Luke maybe, but not Han.
Old 09-15-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I would love if they pull a Scream 4 and
Spoiler:
kill the new cast members and leave Han, Leia, and Luke to carry on the franchise.
Old 09-15-14, 06:42 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyronin
After those two Star Trek movies, Abrams can look George Lucas in the eye and claim that "I was but the apprentice, now I am the master."
Exactly. He made two Star Wars movies with pointy ears pasted on. He sucks.
Old 09-15-14, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Then Chewie reveals he and Leia had an affair ... Then Chewbacca eats him.
Old 09-16-14, 01:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Then Chewie reveals he and Leia had an affair ...
NSFW:
Old 09-16-14, 09:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

As long as he uses this voice.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Tj-GZJhfBmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-17-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I am starting to wonder if the Big 3 all survive the ST. From what they are saying, they will only have major roles in Episode 7, so they can't just kill the 3 of them in the same movie. And it will be predictable if each one of them dies in Episode 7,8, and then 9.

My bet is that Luke has the biggest role of the Big 3 throughout the ST (like Obiwan mentor in the OT) and Han & Leia play minor roles in Episodes 8 & 9, and they are all there in the ending Celebration in the last shot of the Trilogy.
Old 09-17-14, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

This is SW, not Aliens... there's no reason to kill off our childhood heroes!
Old 09-17-14, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
This is SW, not Aliens... there's no reason to kill off our childhood heroes!
If Luke, Leia and Han survive Episode 9, then they can be in Episodes 10, 11, 12!
Old 09-17-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

As long is Mark Hamill is alive he can be in every Star Wars movie as he can just be a force ghost if he is killed off. Heck, maybe even Carrie Fisher could be a force ghost.
Old 09-17-14, 09:12 AM
Banned

There was tons of fan hate when they killed Chewbacca in the EU. I doubt they are going to kill any more major characters after that happened.
Old 09-17-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

If Anakin can be a force ghost anybody can be a force ghost.
Old 09-17-14, 11:22 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
There was tons of fan hate when they killed Chewbacca in the EU. I doubt they are going to kill any more major characters after that happened.
I think you're being a bit optimistically delusional.

There is no way Han Solo survives Episode VII. Ford wanted him dead 35 years ago, and given Ford's age now, I can't see him wanting to be a part future installments.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see any of the big 4 (including Chewie) bite it, but I just can't see Han Solo surviving, and I suspect an act of self-sacrifice with him and probably Chewie to save Leia and some of the new cast.
Old 09-17-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Disney is not making this movie for the nerds who read the EU.
Old 09-17-14, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TGM
I think you're being a bit optimistically delusional.

There is no way Han Solo survives Episode VII. Ford wanted him dead 35 years ago, and given Ford's age now, I can't see him wanting to be a part future installments.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see any of the big 4 (including Chewie) bite it, but I just can't see Han Solo surviving, and I suspect an act of self-sacrifice with him and probably Chewie to save Leia and some of the new cast.
You can write a character out without killing him.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Disney is not making this movie for the nerds who read the EU.
If you like Star Wars period, you're a nerd.

Another thing is that the movies are more "kid-friendly" and so less likely to kill off the main protagonists. Some of the stuff that has happened in the EU novels is pretty fricking brutal and would probably be R-rated if done in the movies. The New Jedi Order series in particular had some gruesome death scenes. It really put the "war" in Star Wars.
Old 09-17-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you like Star Wars period, you're a nerd.
Absolutely not. Star Wars is one of the most beloved and successful mainstream adventure franchises in film history. Just because it's science fiction does not mean everybody who enjoys it is a nerd. If you like the Star Wars movies: you're the average filmgoer. If you like Star Wars so much that you read the spin-off novels then went to the internet to raise hell after they killed off the Wookie: you're a nerd.
Old 09-17-14, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Absolutely not. Star Wars is one of the most beloved and successful mainstream adventure franchises in film history. Just because it's science fiction does not mean everybody who enjoys it is a nerd. If you like the Star Wars movies: you're the average filmgoer. If you like Star Wars so much that you read the spin-off novels then went to the internet to raise hell after they killed off the Wookie: you're a nerd.
Many people whine and moan about Star Wars. "Lucas raped my childhood" and such. Even to this day there are people that can't let go of Greedo shooting first. Are all of these people nerds too, or just the ones who read the books? If the book readers are nerds, wouldn't that make everyone who reads a book a nerd? If you read Stephen King, are you a nerd? If you own a Kindle Paperwhite, are you a nerd?
Old 09-17-14, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Many people whine and moan about Star Wars. "Lucas raped my childhood" and such. Even to this day there are people that can't let go of Greedo shooting first. Are all of these people nerds too, or just the ones who read the books? If the book readers are nerds, wouldn't that make everyone who reads a book a nerd? If you read Stephen King, are you a nerd? If you own a Kindle Paperwhite, are you a nerd?
I don't think my point is that hard to understand. There are fans of various degrees, and the more obsessive you are about a title like Star Wars, the more likely you are to be a nerd. Reading is great, I read, not all people that read are nerds, however if you read second-rate novels because they're based on one of your favorite movies, you might be a nerd.

Movie studios cater to the casual audience who will bring their families to see these event movies. Whether it's comic books or Star Wars, studios don't need to impress the hardcore fans because the fanboys have proven time after time that they will line up to see that movie no matter how bad the early buzz is.
Old 09-17-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Many people whine and moan about Star Wars. "Lucas raped my childhood" and such. Even to this day there are people that can't let go of Greedo shooting first. Are all of these people nerds too, or just the ones who read the books?
Yes, and they're a small percentage of the people who've watched Star Wars movies.

If the book readers are nerds, wouldn't that make everyone who reads a book a nerd? If you read Stephen King, are you a nerd? If you own a Kindle Paperwhite, are you a nerd?
Stephen King is a mainstream writer and the majority of his fans aren't nerds. The ones who can list how every one of his books connects to the Dark Tower, on the other hand, are.

Now, with an author like Greg Egan, where you need a fairly advanced knowledge of physics just to comprehend his plots, anyone who reads his books is a nerd, no doubt about it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.