Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lawrence of Arabia 50th Anniversary: Oct 4

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lawrence of Arabia 50th Anniversary: Oct 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lawrence of Arabia 50th Anniversary: Oct 4

I saw a 1:00 p.m. showing this afternoon also, but the "pre-show" material didn't start until the time on the ticket. I got to the theater at about 12:30 p.m., so it was a long afternoon. The trivia screens and Fathom Events commercials started at 1:00 p.m. The restoration featurette and other bonus material came next. The movie itself started at 1:45 p.m., and I walked out of the theater sometime around 5:40 p.m.

Although I never saw it confirmed anywhere at the theater, I'm almost sure what I saw today had to be 4K. I can't imagine it looking any better than it did. It was well worth the $12 or $13 for the ticket and the hour drive to the theater.
Old 10-05-12, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,472 Likes on 936 Posts

Instead of the usual advertisements, a long featurette / advertisement for the Blu Ray was already in progress when we arrived at the theater. The movie was only delayed 15 minutes past show time.

This version is more cleaned up than the DVD, but there are still vertical ghost lines that keep appearing throughout the movie.

I liked all the small details that just don't show on DVD. Subtle bits of acting, or useful information in the background. It was definitely worth seeing.
Old 10-05-12, 01:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Instead of the usual advertisements, a long featurette / advertisement for the Blu Ray was already in progress when we arrived at the theater. The movie was only delayed 15 minutes past show time.

This version is more cleaned up than the DVD, but there are still vertical ghost lines that keep appearing throughout the movie.

I liked all the small details that just don't show on DVD. Subtle bits of acting, or useful information in the background. It was definitely worth seeing.
no vertical ghost lines at my screening, and it was 4K, are you sure it wasn't the screen? Some movies where there's alot of light (for christsakes the movie takes place in a desert) screens can show their flaws under a tremendous amount of light from the movie itself.

no, the 15min past show time was part of how it was encoded on the DCP, what wasn't well advertised was the fact that there was at least one featurette before the start time of 1pm and the 7pm screening - the restoration demonstration
Old 10-05-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

That featurette fucking pissed me off. I came in at the end of the guy lecturing about 4k and I'm like "I know what it is, move on." I love Marty but really Fathom needs to shut the fuck up talking about the movie before the movie. I even tried getting there at 5 min to 7 but I couldn't escape this.

The movie itself...never seen it before, really liked it, but it definitely needs to be seen again. Lots of things going on...and I started trying to predict the intermission because I was getting hungry. Did not know that this was Peter O'Toole's first movie. What a way to make an entrance.

Also I saw Taken 2 at midnight, at another theater after this. Looking back, that might have been an insane decision.
Old 10-05-12, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
That featurette fucking pissed me off. I came in at the end of the guy lecturing about 4k and I'm like "I know what it is, move on." I love Marty but really Fathom needs to shut the fuck up talking about the movie before the movie. I even tried getting there at 5 min to 7 but I couldn't escape this.

The movie itself...never seen it before, really liked it, but it definitely needs to be seen again. Lots of things going on...and I started trying to predict the intermission because I was getting hungry. Did not know that this was Peter O'Toole's first movie. What a way to make an entrance.

Also I saw Taken 2 at midnight, at another theater after this. Looking back, that might have been an insane decision.
my insane decision was going to the 'Nightmare Before Christmas/Frankenweenie' double feature - trekking over into Virginia for the 10:30pm/12am screening - ugh.... my eyes hurt.
Old 10-05-12, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Virginia...what theater did you see it in?
Old 10-05-12, 01:46 AM

Virginia...what theater did you see it in?
AMC Tysons.

I saw 'Lawrence' at Mazza, since a) it's walking distance from my home, b) 1pm was more logistically a time to see it than 7pm - whereas I don't think it would have ended before 10:30, c) it was on the largest screen at Mazza than it would have been at Tysons.
Old 10-05-12, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
AMC Tysons.

I saw 'Lawrence' at Mazza, since a) it's walking distance from my home, b) 1pm was more logistically a time to see it than 7pm - whereas I don't think it would have ended before 10:30, c) it was on the largest screen at Mazza than it would have been at Tysons.

Ooh..I had tickets to see The Sessions at Mazza tonight but ignored them. Pssst...by the way, Mazza is doing a Lincoln showing on Wednesday night.
Old 10-05-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simply unbelievable how good this film looked. No flaws at all.

As far as the "pre-game", my theater showed the restoration feature (which was amazing, BTW) and then some newsreel footage, then the movie. I didn't see Scorsese or anything else. I didn't stick around for the after the credits. 4.5 hours was enough.

The restoration thing before the film, while very interesting, sort of ruined the movie in that it "revealed" the restoration before actually seeing it.

Last edited by CRM114; 10-05-12 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-05-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Did not know that this was Peter O'Toole's first movie. What a way to make an entrance.
First starring role, but not his first movie. He did three movies before this:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000564/
Old 10-05-12, 11:24 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its stuff liie this why WWI is more intriguing than the overshadowed WW2.
Old 10-05-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,472 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
no vertical ghost lines at my screening, and it was 4K, are you sure it wasn't the screen? Some movies where there's alot of light (for christsakes the movie takes place in a desert) screens can show their flaws under a tremendous amount of light from the movie itself.

no, the 15min past show time was part of how it was encoded on the DCP, what wasn't well advertised was the fact that there was at least one featurette before the start time of 1pm and the 7pm screening - the restoration demonstration
I'm not sure if it was the screen. I was looking for the ghost lines, because I notice them on the 2-disk DVD, and I was hoping that they were gone. They're obvious in the sky on the DVD at 0:28:50 to 0:29:10. In the new 4k remaster, they were fainter but still there. Probably because of the big screen I kept seeing them, every once in a while, through the whole movie.
Old 10-05-12, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I'm not sure if it was the screen. I was looking for the ghost lines, because I notice them on the 2-disk DVD, and I was hoping that they were gone. They're obvious in the sky on the DVD at 0:28:50 to 0:29:10. In the new 4k remaster, they were fainter but still there. Probably because of the big screen I kept seeing them, every once in a while, through the whole movie.

on the bluray there is a slight ghost line, but not throughout the whole movie, I was looking for it on the DCP version in the theater, but it wasn't as obvious to me.
Old 10-06-12, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also....Lawrence was TWENTY SEVEN when he did all that shit? Holy fuck, how the hell is anybody supposed to compare to that? First of all, this scale of movie is reserved for people like Jesus Christ or Ben-Hur. This is for those people that need TWO VHS tapes for their stories to be told. Not just anybody. That's the mark of a big story. But even so, I mean...nobody gives a fuck about Soderberg's Che, or The Motorcycle Diaries. Nobody really cares about Man on the Moon or Pollock. La Vie en Rose, Selina, Finding Neverland, who gives a shit?

But for some dude to do this shit at age 27 IN THE TWENTIETH CENTURY and then have a movie OF THIS MAGNITUDE based on it like it's no big deal?

DAMN.
Old 10-06-12, 01:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ben-Hur is way less interesting than TE Lawrence, not to mention fictional.
Old 10-06-12, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And that only adds to the allure...HOW THE FUCK did this guy do it by such a young age? I mean...NOBODY has done anything remotely like that in this day and age. Can you imagine the story of Mark Zuckerberg being told in such a fashion? Or Jimi Hendrix? Hell, nobody of that age has even directed a MOVIE of that scale, let alone lived a life such as that.
Old 10-06-12, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And that only adds to the allure...HOW THE FUCK did this guy do it by such a young age? I mean...NOBODY has done anything remotely like that in this day and age. Can you imagine the story of Mark Zuckerberg being told in such a fashion? Or Jimi Hendrix? Hell, nobody of that age has even directed a MOVIE of that scale, let alone lived a life such as that.
P.T. Anderson made Boogie Nights at 27. Considering Boogie Nights is the greatest film ever made, I think he has T.E. Lawrence beat.
Old 07-07-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty sure I was drunk when I made the above two posts, but I'm back to say that I am going to be seeing this in 70 mm, at the AFI!