Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Tower (Korean Action/Disaster Movie)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-12-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7-qbgUjkvKU?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7-qbgUjkvKU?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

"A Christmas Eve party at a luxury residential building takes a horrific turn when a fire breaks out."

Directed by Ji-hoon Kim
Starring Sang-kyung Kim & Sul Kyung-gu

This looks awesome.
Old 01-12-13, 04:02 PM

Re: The Tower (Korean Action/Disaster Movie)

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post

This looks awesome.
damn! it really does.
Old 01-12-13, 04:14 PM
Banned

Fucking Koreans...always making cool shit I want to see.
Old 01-12-13, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be seeing it in a couple of hours, already got my ticket, looks awesome!!
Old 01-14-13, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was really really really really good. It was great in elliciting a great wave of emotions. I actually talked out loud for the first time at a movie At one part I yelled at the screen "OMG what a bastard!!" (I was in the first row and the only other people there were a couple in the back row and it was a noisy moment, so I doubt they heard me). That caught me by surprise, as I never actually verbalize what I want to tell the screen. Very emotional all-around with excitement, disgust, sadness. Not really fear because I guess you know (and this is not a spoiler) going in that everyone probably ends up ok as it is a movie, so throughout I was sure oh this one makes it and this one makes it etc. but I was still on the edge of my seat waiting to see how they would make it.

Outstanding film, the time flew by. Go see it. Subtitled if that matters to anyone.
Old 01-14-13, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

An open theater and you chose to sit in the front row?

Movie reminds me of The Towering Inferno.
Old 01-14-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It has a railing in the front middle where to put my feet So I guess second row as there's seats to the left and right of the railing but no seats in front of me.
Old 01-14-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
It has a railing in the front middle where to put my feet So I guess second row as there's seats to the left and right of the railing but no seats in front of me.
That is the best seat in the place and where I always sit if it is open. I am stunned that Tom does not know that!
Old 01-14-13, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess I am confused. I thought she meant front row of the theater and not the front section.

But, yeah, I like the front row of the section behind the front section.
Old 01-14-13, 12:09 PM

The Towering Inferno was based on a novel called The Tower, so I'm going to assume this is just a direct adaptation?
Old 01-14-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm seeing it sometime this week. I'm still exhausted from CES, but I'm trying to go before Thursday as I have a feeling it won't still be playing by Friday.
Old 01-14-13, 09:43 PM

so this is actually coming out here in the States? AMC has been booking Korean movies over at the Rio in Gaithersburg Maryland - my fingers are crossed
Old 01-15-13, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
so this is actually coming out here in the States? AMC has been booking Korean movies over at the Rio in Gaithersburg Maryland - my fingers are crossed
Yes. This has been playing 7 miles away from my house since Friday.

And if GatorDeb saw this at the theater I'm thinking of in Vegas, the front row puts you a foot or two away from the screen.
Old 01-15-13, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's two different kinds of theaters around here with "foot railings." One of them has a whole section in front of it. Another one has nothing in front of it because it's flush with the first row, so there's seats to the left and right of it but no row in front, so you're sitting in the second row. I saw the Tower in the one where it's the second row in the theater. (the one at Sahara and Rampart) I can't think of the location of the other type, I'm thinking maybe the Suncoast is the one with a whole section before the railing?

Here what it's about (without any major spoilers, but still):
Spoiler:
Big highrise tower catches fire, people try to escape.

There's ONE theater that always shows these types of movies that other theaters don't show. I try to catch all of them as most of the time they are just awesome. This movie in particular was just outstanding. This is the Regal at Sahara at Rampart. Funnily enough the other Regals (the three IMAX's and the Texas one) don't do this.
Old 01-15-13, 10:50 AM

I've been meaning to see this, thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-19-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, my wife would love this! Not anywhere near where we can see though. Are these Korean movies typically released stateside in DVD or Blu-ray?
Old 01-19-13, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How do you even find which theaters this movie is playing at? I can't find it anywhere in SF. Would like to see this if it plays around here.

Is this playing only in Vegas?
Old 01-20-13, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fandango. Search for the Tower and from the movie page you can find showtimes.
Old 01-20-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As it stands now, the film is only playing at:

CGV Cinemas LA (Los Angeles, CA)
Edwards University Town Center 6 (Irvine, CA)
Regal Village Square 18 (Las Vegas, NV)
AMC Dine-In Theatres Grapevine Mills 30 (Dallas, TX)
AMC Colonial 18 (Atlanta, GA)
AMC Showplace Niles 12 (Chicago, IL)
AMC Loews Ridgefield Park 12 (Ridgefield Park, NJ)

SilverCity Coquitlam (Vancouver, BC)
Sheppard Grande (Toronto, ON)

That's it. Most of the places playing it have dropped the film to two-to-three showings a day at the most. San Francisco will get it on Friday, but CJ Entertainment (who also released the film in South Korea) has no plans on expanding it past that at this point in time.

I dug the film, but I'm a sucker for disaster films. The best way to describe it is that it plays more as a best-of compilation of your favorite moments from September 11th and The Towering Inferno. I know a lot of the reviews out there complained about the film doesn't earn its emotional beats, but I completely disagree with that. The film is a disaster film and you know going in that most of the cast won't make it out alive. Those characters only are in the script as cannon fodder and that's alright. The real emotional beats come from that of the main cast and I feel the story nailed that as it's more focused on a select few rather than the majority.

Spoiler:
However, I feel if this was an Irwin Allen production, the "bad guys" (the congressman and his wife, the owner of the building, the fire marshall, etc). would've met their demise. With this also being a South Korean production, I'm actually surprised more cast members didn't die.

I dug it and I liked it more than I thought it would.

I also saw it at the same theater GatorDeb did and:
  1. I would personally never sit in the first row as they put it in one of the smaller auditoriums (I wonder why...) as I don't like looking up at a screen. Personally, I like to be head on with the screen.
  2. They were fucking lazy and didn't adjust the mattes. The film was projected at 2.40:1, but on a 1.78:1 screen. And I know the mattes weren't broken as I saw Seven Psychopaths in the same auditorium weeks ago and everything was fine.
  3. The seats at the Village Square 18 are fucking horrible and if they didn't play alternative, foreign, and independent fare, I'd be at another theater.
Old 01-20-13, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Will have to see which theater(s) in SF will have it next week. If it doesn't have good seats and costs another $5-10 for parking, I'll just wait for Blu. There are very few films I would fork out nearly $20 to see, and this isn't going to be one of them.
Old 01-20-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Autotelik View Post
Will have to see which theater(s) in SF will have it next week. If it doesn't have good seats and costs another $5-10 for parking, I'll just wait for Blu. There are very few films I would fork out nearly $20 to see, and this isn't going to be one of them.
You don't want your own personal theater for two hours?
Old 01-22-13, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
I also saw it at the same theater GatorDeb did and:
  1. I would personally never sit in the first row as they put it in one of the smaller auditoriums (I wonder why...) as I don't like looking up at a screen. Personally, I like to be head on with the screen.
  2. They were fucking lazy and didn't adjust the mattes. The film was projected at 2.40:1, but on a 1.78:1 screen. And I know the mattes weren't broken as I saw Seven Psychopaths in the same auditorium weeks ago and everything was fine.
  3. The seats at the Village Square 18 are fucking horrible and if they didn't play alternative, foreign, and independent fare, I'd be at another theater.
I'm a Regular Jill when it comes to films and don't know any better
Old 01-30-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, as luck would have it, this was playing in the only theater that I would bother going to. It's at the Cinemark theater that is closest to where I live and only 10 minutes drive away, and it is the only theater in the whole SF area that is playing it.

So, I decided to go check it out yesterday.

The short: It is ok as a popcorn flick if you go in with low expectations. A rental, or pickup from the bargain bin would be ok too.

The long: I have no idea what this was trying to be. A holiday action blockbuster perhaps? I have little experience with Korean flicks, but do watch a bit of stuff from HK. I think there are several problems if it was JUST trying to cater to the action demographic, because there are a few things that are just too jarring and take you right out of the movie. I found myself wishing it would end soon:
1) The action sequences are mostly fine. The fire was ferocious, but nothing we haven't seen before.
2) The slapstick humor inserted in the movie every 10 minutes, especially when hundreds of lives were at stake after the fire broke out? Didn't work for me. The "chef" who was trying to propose to his gf and ended up getting stuck in the elevator with her- is he a real actor? Absolutely terrible overacting. The religious family (Mr. Kim) praying for an angle and tsunami- that had my eyes rolling. Again, that stuff does not work if you're going for a disaster action movie.
3) The firefighters: this part I had the most problem with. These are supposed to be professionals? But the way they were portrayed made them senseless, suicidal, hero-wannabes. A firefighter is supposed to be calm, and would try to rescue as many civilians as possible. The way they just busted into the room where the helicopter crashed, and almost getting themselves all killed trying to put out the copter blaze just seemed completely amateurish. Blow up the helicopter? ummm.... ok
4) How many firefighters were there in the entire skyscraper? It seemed like 6 or 7
5) Decking out Dae-Ho (the protagonist maintenance guy with the daughter) in firefighter gear at the end... sure, why not. I'm sure he knows how to be an on-the-spot firefighter too
6) The "priority" save list- rescuing the most important people first. This served no purpose at all other than to make us hate certain individuals in the movie (along with Mr. Cha the chickenshit who couldn't wait to run across the skybridge, and the chairman of the tower). Yes, there is a lot of hate that is just crammed down our throats.
7) The fire doors brought down by the chairman. He can do that without consulting the fire commissioner or fire chief?
8) Wannabe tearjerker- check. (the firefighter captain who gave up his life before picking up the holiday cake for his wife)

This movie really tried to do too many things. Like I said initially, if it really wanted to be JUST an action disaster flick, it should have focused on that. In the end, it seemed to do way too many things. Everything shoved and mashed together just didn't work, and halfway through the movie, I just wanted it to end.

Final thought: we get an aircraft (helicopter) crashing into a skyscraper (a "twin tower") that crumbles down at the end...... how's that for originality?
Old 07-06-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Rented this from Red Box the other day. Was pleasantly surprised to find it there. It actually comes out on DVD on Tuesday. I checked on Amazon and it's only $9.99.

Overall, a pretty good disaster movie with some very impressive special effects.

It had elements of an Irwin Allen disaster movie to some sappy and cornball elements of your typical Korean drama.

As far as Autotelik's criticism of the slapstick humor, that's pretty typical with how most Korean dramas are. I think for this movie it actually helped lighten the mood in some scenes and not make the movie dark throughout. I do kind of agree with his comments about how the firefighters were portrayed.

Not surprised from watching some of the behind the scenes material on the DVD that a lot of this movie was shot on green screen and done in post with CGI. But they did a pretty solid job making it believable.

Definitely give this a rent if you're a fan of disaster movies and K-dramas.

The Final sequence may disturb some sensitive people:

Spoiler:
The firefighters demolish the burning building with explosives as it threatens to collapse. The sequence is totally reminiscent of 9/11.
Old 07-07-13, 03:08 AM
Banned

No offense but to your spoiler. People need to get over it. It sucked, yes. Man the fuck up and move on. People really need to let it go. There have been worse shit than that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.