Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ant-Man (2015, D: Reed) S: Rudd, Douglas, Lilly, Stoll, Peņa

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ant-Man (2015, D: Reed) S: Rudd, Douglas, Lilly, Stoll, Peņa

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Ant-Man (2015, D: Reed) S: Rudd, Douglas, Lilly

They were probably part of an earlier, covert iteration of the team. Wouldn't be hard to keep a wasp and an ant-man from making the news while fighting subversive elements.
Old 12-18-14, 09:05 AM

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
The team was put together based on the Avengers Initiative. That name and initiative had to come from somewhere. Ant-Man and Wasp probably came up with it.
Originally Posted by Paul_SD
They were probably part of an earlier, covert iteration of the team. Wouldn't be hard to keep a wasp and an ant-man from making the news while fighting subversive elements.
Exactly. This is why Peggy Carter and Howard Stark are in the movie. There will be a flashback sequence showing how they were used by/connected to SHIELD.
Old 12-18-14, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It may also stem fom how the writer it put cuz apparently these people fuck up with news bits.
Old 12-18-14, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
It may also stem fom how the writer it put cuz apparently these people fuck up with news bits.
Dafuq?
Old 12-18-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Sounds sloppy, I'm sure that the Peggy Carter and Howard Stark scenes will grind the movie to a halt just like the Avengers stuff in IM2.
Old 12-18-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Ant-Man and Wasp were in the first Avengers. They were just so small, you couldn't see them.
Old 12-18-14, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dex14
Dafuq?
whoever that quote may be from may specifically be referencing the comic characters without putting context into how they're talking about it. or the writer fucked it up cuz seems like writers that do articles fuck up a lot in their work lately.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-18-14 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-18-14, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
whoever that quote may be from may specifically be referencing the comic characters without putting context into how they're talking about it. or the writer fucked it up cuz seems like writers that do articles fuck up a lot in their lately.
It was from Evangeline Lilly.
Old 12-22-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Rumor on how Ant-Man connects with the rest of the universe - http://www.starlog.com/rumor-how-wil...ain-america-3/

Spoiler:
According to this anonymous party, ANT-MAN will take place alongside the events of AGE OF ULTRON, the fall-out of which will spur on the Superhuman Registration Act. While ANT-MAN is largely self-contained in nature, the references of the MCU will come from Pym’s past as a scientist for S.H.I.E.L.D. in the ’60s, having worked alongside Howard Stark, Arnim Zola and Alexander Pierce. However, in this flashback sequence, Pym will supposedly also have a run-in with a young military hot-head by the name of Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross, who Marvel fans have last seen in THE INCREDIBLE HULK as played by William Hurt.

The party goes on to say S.H.I.E.L.D.’s downfall in THE WINTER SOLDIER forced Pym into the private sector, which makes him vulnerable and essentially serves as catalyst for the events that follow in ANT-MAN. And according to the party, a shooting draft of ANT-MAN’s post-credit stinger shows the older Ross re-appearing to Pym, claiming he’d been sent by Tony Stark. When asked why, Ross allegedly responds, “Haven’t you seen the news? We’re at war.”

The party also claims Ross will play a supporting role in CAPTAIN AMERICA 3, begrudgingly helping Tony Stark enforce the Superhero Registration Act and giving him military aid as Stark’s hesitant to use his own technology post-ULTRON. The party claims that rumors of Black Widow’s limited involvement in CAPTAIN AMERICA 3 is also true, as her character will be arrested for aiding fugitive superhumans in a power play by Stark (which will give actress Scarlett Johansson a break from the MCU to focus on her family), though the source says a potential Black Widow jailbreak in a future Marvel film may help bring Scott Lang’s Ant-Man into the AVENGERS fold.
Old 12-22-14, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Makes sense considering the previous rumors that we have heard about.

Nice. if the BW rumor is true.
Old 12-22-14, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler:
How will a Superhero Registration Act work when nobody in the MCU even has secret identities? They're all publicly known already.
Old 12-22-14, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer
Spoiler:
How will a Superhero Registration Act work when nobody in the MCU even has secret identities? They're all publicly known already.
Well...

Spoiler:
It has been bandied about that maybe super heros have to register their location/who they work for etc. Less about our identity and more about who you work for.
Old 12-22-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just noticed the rumor was 2 months old. Interesting I don't remember seeing it before.
Old 12-22-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Just noticed the rumor was 2 months old. Interesting I don't remember seeing it before.
Didn't even realize that either, had saw it linked in io9.

And yeah, not sure why people are still fixated on the Registration Act thing. Seems like there's a lot of obvious ways a hero would need to be "registered" in some form.
Old 12-23-14, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,247 Likes on 858 Posts

I'm betting there were stylistic conceits that Wright wanted to incorporate that would have stuck out like a sore thumb and not felt cut from the same cloth
-as opposed to elements that were thematic or story points.

You would have to fly pretty far afield of the source material to not be able to massage story points in a shared universe direction. But what would more noticeably stick out would be incorporating stylistic devices that aren't found in any of the other MU films- things like self consciously graphic exposition (a freeze frame where a character bio or other expositional or editorial material pops up on screen, for example).
Like, oh, say, the narrative structure of IM3?
Old 12-24-14, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ant-man Trailer coming soon, its been classified:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ant-M...ils-68820.html

As part of the ever-growing, insanely popular Marvel Cinematic Universe, Peyton Reed's Ant-Man is easily one of our most anticipated movies of 2015- but when exactly will we be getting our first look at it? If new information is any indication, it's possible that it could be as little as a week away.

The Alberta Films Rating board publicly reveals on their website the classifications and running times of all the trailers that come through their department, and the most recent addition to their spreadsheet of titles is the debut teaser trailer for Ant-Man. According to the page, the preview was given a Canadian PG rating when it was classified earlier today, and the video has a run time of one minute and 48 seconds. This pretty clearly paints it as a teaser, as most full-length trailers are between two minutes and 15 seconds and two minutes and 30 seconds long. At the same time, it is a longer glimpse at the movie than what was provided by J.J. Abrams for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was a short 80 seconds all in all.

So why do I say that the Ant-Man trailer could be here as soon as next week? I base that purely on past evidence. For example, there was a nine day long time span in between the time it took for Guardians of the Galaxy's first trailer to be rated in Alberta and its debut online. Likewise this past October the same body classified the teaser for Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight, and that was eight days before the preview was attached to select screenings of Sin City: A Dame To Kill For. Based on this, I wouldn't be too surprised if Marvel Studios decides to celebrate New Years with our first official look at their shrinking superhero.
Old 12-24-14, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Like, oh, say, the narrative structure of IM3?
I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I think IM3 is going to end up being a great example of working within the structure of a tightly produced franchise property and still being able to express your own voice.
The things that people most dislike about the film seem to all be story point related, and then tangentially tone.
- they don't like the nature of the Mandarin
- they don't like how much time is spent with a certain supporting character
- they don't like how much time Stark is out of the suit
etc
But the film did some necessary character based follow thru post Avengers in addition to telling it's own story and Black was able to inject his personality and voice into the material
Old 12-24-14, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny thing about that starlog rumor, seems like everyone missed it back in October, but that thing has blown up over the last few days.
Old 12-24-14, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,247 Likes on 858 Posts

I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I think IM3 is going to end up being a great example of working within the structure of a tightly produced franchise property and still being able to express your own voice.
The things that people most dislike about the film seem to all be story point related, and then tangentially tone.
- they don't like the nature of the Mandarin
- they don't like how much time is spent with a certain supporting character
- they don't like how much time Stark is out of the suit
etc
But the film did some necessary character based follow thru post Avengers in addition to telling it's own story and Black was able to inject his personality and voice into the material
I'm not an IM3 hater; I liked it! I was just pointing out that the narrative structure -- specifically the narration and non-linear timeline -- were very "against the grain" of all the other MCU films. It fit with Stark's character, but was a departure from the MCU "style."
Old 12-24-14, 03:16 PM
Banned

I just don't see how much Wright could have gone against the grain of Marvel. They let him be on it for so goddamn long. He's worked for a major studio and in TV. Conforming isn't new to him. He is able to project his flair but also conform to the wants of medium he's allowed to work in by the execs.

It sounds like a script thing at the end of it all.
Old 12-29-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-30-14, 04:36 PM
Banned

Yeah. I'm pretty interested to see that fight. This fight will easily be the most unique of them all just cuz of the power sets used.
Old 12-30-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That picture looks more cartoony to me then what we've seen in the MCU so far. Hope it works well.
Old 12-30-14, 05:26 PM

I keep hoping for a trailer when this gets bumped.
Old 12-30-14, 05:53 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

I would like Evangeline Lilly to give me a rub and a tug with her 6 mechanical wasp arms.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.