Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ant-Man (2015, D: Reed) S: Rudd, Douglas, Lilly, Stoll, Peņa

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ant-Man (2015, D: Reed) S: Rudd, Douglas, Lilly, Stoll, Peņa

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Ant-Man (2015, D: Reed) S: Rudd, Douglas, Lilly

I couldn't help but shake the feeling that that's why they got someone from the TV world in the first place-shoot fast and do as you're told.
Well to be fair, Whedon came from TV but he's written comics for Marvel for years. So that's probably why he has some leeway with them and why they went with him. For the Russo brothers though that's 100% accurate.

It's like I said earlier on. The directors and writers don't have much to do with these movies. Marvel tells Feige how they want it done and he hires someone who will shut up, do what there told, and do it on time. This is no different than the Bond movies, or for a video game comparison George Lucas's involvement in the Star Wars games. Sometimes it works well like it has for Marvel, other times it fails horribly(see Lantern, Green).
Old 05-28-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Other than the (alleged) major overhaul they've already performed that significantly alters or ditches much of what Wright and Cornish put in. Allegedly.
Yup, the allegations come from El Maybe's source. Sometimes he hits, and sometimes he doesn't. I guess we will see when the movie comes out.
Old 05-28-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

Why 'Ant-Man' Director Edgar Wright Exited Marvel's Superhero Movie
5:00 AM PDT 5/28/2014 by Kim Masters, Borys Kit

Wright's quirky superhero pic made the studio's Kevin Feige nervous as a dispute over script changes and key crew exits leave a 2015 release date in question.

After the abrupt May 23 exit of Edgar Wright, the geek-favorite filmmaker behind Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, from Marvel Studios' long-gestating Ant-Man movie, the studio has insisted the Paul Rudd film will be finished in time to make its July 17, 2015, release date.

But while a source close to the studio says a search for a new director is underway, some observers believe Marvel president Kevin Feige will have a hard time pulling together the risky film in such a short time frame.

The challenges are clear in finding a director who can pick up a project infused with Wright's vision for years. In addition, sources say the film's key crew -- its heads of departments -- departed when it became clear production would not begin as scheduled July 28. Rudd's reps say he's still in, and a source close to the production says all key crew positions will be filled shortly.

Wright, 40, is an irreverent British filmmaker, and sources say Marvel had been unhappy with his take on Ant-Man for weeks. Originally set to begin shooting June 2, the production had been put on hiatus while Feige ordered revisions of the script that was co-written by Wright and Joe Cornish. According to sources, Wright had been willing to make revisions earlier in the process. But the new rewrites took place without Wright's input, and when he received Marvel's new version early during the week of May 19, he walked, prompting a joint statement announcing his exit "due to differences in their visions of the film."

The move came as a shock because Wright had been working on the project -- about a scientist who can shrink to the size of an ant -- since 2006. Feige told MTV in 2013 that Wright's vision "is the only reason we're making the movie." But Marvel and Wright were different entities when they began their relationship. Marvel was an upstart, independent and feisty as it began building the Marvel Studios brand with the first two Iron Man films and Captain America: The First Avenger.

Now owned by Disney, Marvel has established itself as a reliable maker of hits. Feige essentially is the showrunner on $150 million episodes in a Marvel universe that expands in phases. The company "Marvel-izes" its projects, as a source with ties to the company puts it. That sometimes leads to clashes with filmmakers who have strong points of view, as Kenneth Branagh found during the making of Thor. He did not return for the sequel, nor did Joe Johnston for Captain America. Patty Jenkins, who directed the 2003 Charlize Theron hit Monster, was hired for Thor 2 then fired. Edward Norton clashed with Marvel during post on The Incredible Hulk and was replaced by Mark Ruffalo for the character's return in The Avengers. Terrence Howard similarly was replaced by Don Cheadle in the Iron Man sequels. And on May 24, Drew Goddard was replaced as showrunner by Steven S. DeKnight on Marvel's upcoming Netflix series Daredevil (though Goddard is working on Sony's Marvel movie Sinister Six).

"Kevin Feige [and his top lieutenants] run Marvel with a singularity of vision, but when you take a true auteur and throw him into the mix, this is what you get," says a source. "They don't want you to speak up too much or have too much vision. People who have never worked there don't understand how they operate, but if you trust them, they have an amazing track record."

Ant-Man's tone might have been too quirky for the Marvel universe. Insiders say Marvel feels it already might have gone outside its comfort zone with August's Guardians of the Galaxy, a space adventure heavy on odd humor and featuring a talking raccoon. In 2011, Sony's similarly comic The Green Hornet with Seth Rogen failed to launch the franchise for which the studio hoped.

Wright declined comment, but he tweeted, then deleted, the word "selfie," followed by a sad-faced Buster Keaton holding a Cornetto ice cream cone (Wright's trio of genre movies is known as the Cornetto trilogy). Keaton famously lost his independence after his ambitious 1926 film The General didn't perform well. He took a job at MGM, which he later called the worst decision of his life. Avengers director Joss Whedon also tweeted a photo of himself appearing dejected and seeming to salute Wright with a Cornetto.

Wright's first studio experience also was fraught. He directed 2010's acclaimed Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, which bombed for Universal, grossing $31.5 million domestically. Now his second studio film has been taken away. James Gunn, director of Guardians, might have said it best. He wrote on Facebook that Wright and Marvel "just don't have personalities that mesh in a comfortable way."
Old 05-28-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

From the initial announcement when Wright was dropped/left:
Marvel Studios already has tapped a new director, but has yet to reveal who landed the job.
And the one today:
But while a source close to the studio says a search for a new director is underway
So, do they or don't they have a director?
Old 05-28-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

If they had a director tapped all ready, why wouldn't they tell us who it is? A director leaving after so much pre-production doesn't look very good, especially if Marvel is sticking to the release date, so good damage control would be "Wright's leaving, but don't worry, we have ________ as a replacement who is awesome and everything is running smoothly with the production." Not, "our director has left, we have a replacement but we're keeping it a secret for no reason." If they found somebody and the ink was dry they would just announce it to assuage fan fears.
Old 05-28-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 651 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
If they had a director tapped all ready, why wouldn't they tell us who it is?
Does tapped mean hired? Maybe they asked a director, the director said yes, and now they're negotiating the contract. So they have director "tapped," but not officially hired on yet.
Old 05-28-14, 03:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Or they had someone who was interested but when the backlash hit he/she backed off.
Old 05-28-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Does tapped mean hired? Maybe they asked a director, the director said yes, and now they're negotiating the contract. So they have director "tapped," but not officially hired on yet.
Good question, I'm not sure. I'm sure they've got somebody in mind, and tapped implies one person that is at least in negotiations. As soon as a contract is signed I'm sure we'll hear about it.
Old 05-29-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 450 Likes on 315 Posts

Man, seeing this makes me realize just how bad Marvel/Disney fucked up by letting Wright go - they should beg him to come back on their hands and knees!

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/96558506?color=f0a400" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edgar Wright - How to Do Visual Comedy from Tony Zhou on Vimeo.

Old 05-29-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Why so much fuss over Ant-Man? No matter who directs it, I really can't see it being a break out hit. Personally, I would be more pumped for a Dr. Strange or Defenders movie. Even better, I wish Marvel would get wise and adapt the Beta Ray Bill saga for the next Thor movie.
Old 05-29-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 450 Likes on 315 Posts

It's not a fuss over Ant-Man, it's a fuss over being denied a new Edgar Wright movie. Of course the average schlub on the street couldn't care less, but internet nerds who are fans of Wright, like myself, are understandably up in arms.
Old 05-29-14, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Why so much fuss over Ant-Man? No matter who directs it, I really can't see it being a break out hit.
Back before 2008 you could have said the exact same thing about Iron Man...
Old 05-29-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Couldn't disagree more. Iron Man has been reasonably well known for decades. Ant-man? Who the fuck is that?
Old 05-29-14, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Couldn't disagree more. Iron Man has been reasonably well known for decades. Ant-man? Who the fuck is that?
Who outside of the nerd crowd knew Iron Man before 2008?
Old 05-29-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who outside of the nerd crowd knew Iron Man before 2008?
Kids who watched Saturday cartoons in the 90s? Plus it was always a recognizable name, premise and identifiable look. He was cross-featured in different things, and even featured in video games.

I'm not quite in the nerd crowd but I follow a lot of developments in it, and I still don't have a clue what Ant-man is.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-29-14 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-29-14, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Outside of the fact that one shrinks to the size of an iddy bitty ant, and the other one is a rich playboy who wears robot armor with built in lasers and can fly mach 5, maybe I can see your point.
With all the success Marvel has had so far, I am going have to side with Feige on this. They could hire Chris Nolan to direct Ant-Man, and I still believe it is going to be a tough sell.
Old 05-30-14, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, it's stupid to compare Iron Man and Ant-Man. Recognition not withstanding, it's obvious that even the concept of Iron Man would be an easier sell to movie producers and audiences.

That said, I think with or without Wright, Marvel can make a compelling movie out of the character. I don't think it will be anywhere close to approaching the success of their current characters, but i'd say the same for a lot of the Phase 3 guys being tossed around.
Old 05-30-14, 10:46 AM

Received 4,608 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Sources say Rawson Thurber, Adam McKay and Ruben Fleischer are among a group of directors that are meeting with the studio to replace Edgar Wright, who abruptly exited the long-gestating project last week over creative differences.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...include-707976
Old 05-30-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

Well, out of those three, I'd have to go with Ruben Fleischer.
Old 05-30-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought they had somebody tapped?
Old 05-30-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

So a bunch of directors with comedies under their belt.
Old 05-30-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's funny since two of those directors are featured in that fan made "Why Edgar Wright is better" video.
Old 05-30-14, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

Looks like McKay is getting the gig.
Old 05-30-14, 10:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I look forward to the Dan Fantana superhero movie.
Old 05-30-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking forward to see what Mckay can do with this, Good choice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.