Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Snowpiercer (Bong Joon Ho, 2013) — Evans, Swinton, Hurt in post-apocalyptic SF film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Snowpiercer (Bong Joon Ho, 2013) — Evans, Swinton, Hurt in post-apocalyptic SF film

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-15, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Snowpiercer (Bong Joon Ho, 2013) — Evans, Swinton, Hurt in post-apocalyptic SF film

Watching it again right now. Cuz I bought. 8 bucks is great for this.

This fucking movie is all kinds of awesome. I love the ridiculous of it. Bong Joon Ho has a very cool and slightly off type of tones to his films. Something that goes out of the material but more w/ him. Same could be said by his fellow filmmakers in South Korea.

The cast is everywhere. Literally. So many actors that would never be together in any other film but they're brought together to make a community. Essentially what any social culture is. A variety of people. Some alike and some very different. It feels more real. If an America would have done this, or one under a major studio, you'd see more of a isolated physical visual of the people involved. Meaning... they'd match up and it's nothing unique, a cookie cutter community. But here the variety is awesome. So many actors we know. Hell... Mike Yanagita from Fargo is in here. The cast is really amazing for the variety. Evans leads this w/ a great great sense of what the person has to do to win. His choices here, Curtis' actions, are sometimes very very cruel and emotionally self inflicting to himself to win the game. This world, and reality in general, needs cruel cruel sacrifices to move forward for the better. I really want to see more Evans having roles like this. I know he's after them but the guy is a great actor that may be underrated cuz he's Captain America, which has it's own levels to merit too. Swinton...is fucking amazing playing this ridiculous character of hers. Pill is fun too. I love her look. So different and attractive to me been a fan since Scott Pilgrim.

The premise of Snowpiercer is really far out. But it takes it seriously. That's what makes it a great film for the nature of it. It's not our world. Their world veered off in a way that ours hasn't/didn't. These alternate worlds work like that. We can't take the film to be our world. Their world did something different. And that's ok cuz it takes it as fact and rolls w/ it.

It's a damn good apocalyptic film. Does a lot of things differently while also bringing things that are cherished in those worlds. Bong Joon Ho really doesn't repeat himself w/ world building, does he? They all look different.

Originally Posted by dhmac
Yeah, but Snowpiercer violates its own rules.

Example A:
Spoiler:
Early on, it's established that it's so cold outside that a man's arm freezes solid in just a few minutes. So the danger of outside temperature is shown. But later, a man starts shooting through a glass window, opening up holes to the outside and riskying at least that one train car completely freezing. Whether that's just breaking their rules or showing the stupidity of a character, it makes no sense.

Example B:
Spoiler:
A machine processing a lot of bugs into protein bars is shown. Given that the train is a closed system, all of those bugs came from onboard, which means they would've run out of bugs a very long time ago.

Example C:
Spoiler:
They make out some sort of black market on the train secretly smuggling stuff to the back. But that is essentially impossible given that no one could sneak into other cars of the train without being seen.

Example D:
Spoiler:
The story about how the end cars had to resort to cannibalism to keep from starving, but they stopped killing and eating people by cutting off limps and eating those instead. That is actually a terrible way to get food (cutting off an arm to have a couple of meals from it) and is actually worse than them just sticking to cannibalism, via eating the dead or drawing straws with the loser getting killed and eaten.

Example E:
Spoiler:
The cars on the train seemed to be more of making stuff up as surprises than anything remotely logical.

It reminded me of the ending of the original Saw with the surprise plot twist that the killer was on the ground pretending to be dead the whole time. I know some people liked that plot twist because it was so unexpected, but the only reason it was unexpected is because it is so incredibly stupid. The idea that someone would lie on the ground for hours and hours pretending to be dead just so he can pop up later and say "Psych!" - that's just so dumb. And that's what so much of the stuff in Snowpiercer made me think: "This is so dumb."

And although Snowpiercer had higher production values, I put its eye-rolling level of ridiculousness on the same level as this scene from Superman IV:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NWzkvcJ2V2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I saw in a good movie theater in July 2014 with some friends. Afterwards, I was surprised that 2 friends liked it while another friend was wishy-washy on it. So I bit my tongue a bit as the only one who didn't like the movie, but I thought it was a waste of my time and a waste of $10.
I don't see what you got from it. I think the film presented the reality really well. It's a crazy concept of a future but it works it and takes it for truth.
Old 06-24-15, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Snowpiercer (Bong Joon Ho, 2013) — Evans, Swinton, Hurt in post-apocalyptic SF film

FWIW, this is a pretty nifty breakdown of some of the designs in this flick:

(great youtube channel btw!)
Old 06-24-15, 07:46 PM
Banned

Maybe chrome is acting up for me but all I see is a blank white area where the video should be. I see the link when I quote you though.

Here's the embed for ya:

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X05TDsoSg2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And yes... it's a great channel.
Old 06-24-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I dunno, first time I've tried embedding YT vids...might be my firefox settings.

Thanks for tweaking it.
Old 06-24-15, 08:05 PM
Banned

If you go the site. Click share and pick the embed one.

I've seen the yt bit for links. Did you do it on your phone?
Old 06-25-15, 10:52 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Yeah, I dunno, first time I've tried embedding YT vids...might be my firefox settings.

Thanks for tweaking it.
when using the YT tags, you just need the value after ?v= instead of the whole youtube url between the tags.. in your video above, it'd be just X05TDsoSg2Y