Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
0.83%
10.00%
34.17%
22.50%
11.67%
6.67%
5.00%
1.67%
0.83%
0%
0%
With great power comes me not seeing Spider-Man 4!
6.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

I did think Stan Lee's cameo was epic.
Old 07-03-12, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the IMAX 3D today. It was as good as I had expected it to be, and rated it 4 stars in the poll. I don't think the 3D is really worth it, and was actually surprised that most of the end of the film was displayed in IMAX. I expected that the theaters were just charging people extra for the "IMAX" name, but the end of the film looked great. I would pay to watch 60 minutes of a CG Spider-Man fly around New York in IMAX 3D.
Old 07-03-12, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Just got back from a screening. I liked it, it was certainly better than the last Spider-Man film. On par with the first two.

To be honest, I think from a physical standpoint Tobey Maguire is a much more convincing Peter Parker than Andrew Garfield. I thought Garfield had the mannerisms and body language of Peter Parker, but he's too much of a pretty boy to sell the "dorky nerd" aspect. Maguire has that.

I'm glad the action didn't have a bunch of 1st person views as one trailer made it seem. The action was pretty solid and the 3D was good. Reminded me of Prometheus' 3D in that it was subtle, more about giving you the sense of depth rather than having stuff thrown at you.

The script was a little too family friendly. Very corny lines at times.

Finally, I was really annoyed how Dr. Connors was able to build, by himself, a fully functioning, high tech lab in the fucking sewer...a day after he got fired by his boss. Whatever, I guess.

Anyway as stated before, I certainly think it's as good as any of the Maguire films, but I wouldn't feel comfortable saying it's significantly better than them. If we're comparing superhero movies I liked The Avengers a lot more.

Grade: B
you should google andrew garfield bed intruder. There is no going back after that showed up on youtube.
Old 07-03-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding the scene after the credits...

That was not
Spoiler:
an Osborne.

That was
Spoiler:
The Jackal. He had a LOT to do with Gwen Stacey/Peter Parker in the comics.
Old 07-03-12, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there anything to back that up? A name, physical look, certain things he said, etc?
Old 07-03-12, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rlu929s
Those that have seen it...would you take a 5 year old? He did fine with Avengers, although I covered covered his eyes on a couple scenes.
I took my 5 year old, and he loved it, except it was a little past his bedtime. Those action sequences made his life, though. He was shooting fake webs all the way out of the theatre. My kid's pretty numb to movies though. He knows they're fake, and is pretty intrigued by cgi and costumes because we usually watch the making of segments on the discs.
Old 07-03-12, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Regarding the scene after the credits...

That was not
Spoiler:
an Osborne.

That was
Spoiler:
The Jackal. He had a LOT to do with Gwen Stacey/Peter Parker in the comics.
Is there anything to back that up? You are the only person that has said that its not
Spoiler:
Norman Osborn.

Although it would be really cool if it was Miles Warren aka the Jackal. I said in the other Spider-Man thread that I would love for the next movie to be an adaption of the Death of Gwen Stacy and the third movie to be an adaption of the original 1970s Clone Saga with Warren creating clones of her and Peter.
Old 07-03-12, 08:22 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

In regards to the scene after the credits

Spoiler:
It seemed pretty clear to me the person was doing a willem dafoe impression so the audience would think it was Norman...Which is kind of annoying. Does that mean whoever they cast as Osborn will being doing a Dafoe impression the whole movie?

Last edited by dex14; 07-03-12 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-03-12, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Makes sense it would be
Spoiler:
Osborn. His name is all over the flick, but we never see actually see him. Guess we'll see a "real" Green Goblin next time out with the skin condition.
Old 07-03-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Is there anything to back that up? A name, physical look, certain things he said, etc?
In the shadow, it looked like he had a ton of hair. Also, it makes sense with the theme of the movie.
Old 07-03-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Is there anything to back that up? You are the only person that has said that its not
Spoiler:
Norman Osborn.

Although it would be really cool if it was Miles Warren aka the Jackal. I said in the other Spider-Man thread that I would love for the next movie to be an adaption of the Death of Gwen Stacy and the third movie to be an adaption of the original 1970s Clone Saga with Warren creating clones of her and Peter.
I have the comics of the Death of Gwen Stacy in very good condition and had no idea how much they could be worth until I saw Comic Book Men. They had been storage for years when I saw that I dug them out. Proudly displayed now though.

I finally have figured out what my main issue with this is. This movie looks like it will do well despite the trailer that I am not fond of. So other studios may follow suit. I don't want reboots every few years. The Fantastic Four is one of my favorite comics of all time. I struggled through the movies but I liked who they picked for the cast with the exception of Reed. And now it looks like I get another one of those... ugh
Old 07-03-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just saw it in IMAX 3-D and absolutely loved it. Lots of applause at the end too. The original trilogy just feels so plain and blah now.
Old 07-03-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I have the comics of the Death of Gwen Stacy in very good condition and had no idea how much they could be worth until I saw Comic Book Men. They had been storage for years when I saw that I dug them out. Proudly displayed now though.

I finally have figured out what my main issue with this is. This movie looks like it will do well despite the trailer that I am not fond of. So other studios may follow suit. I don't want reboots every few years. The Fantastic Four is one of my favorite comics of all time. I struggled through the movies but I liked who they picked for the cast with the exception of Reed. And now it looks like I get another one of those... ugh
The difference I see is that films like Fantastic Four and DareDevil weren't that great to begin with so to me if they want to reboot them it's fine. Spider-Man seems different to me as at least the first two movies were decent so a reboot wasn't totally necessary in my mind and they could have just recast the parts and carried on with a sequel or whatever. I'll still see this either way and don't think it looks that bad I just wish they would have not gone the reboot route.
Old 07-03-12, 10:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I must not have the pulse on this thing. Just finished watching this with my daughter. She liked it well enough, but this movie is Raimi's first movie in sheeps clothing. For me, it just felt I was looking at an "un-Raimi"ized version of his first one, but with the added few minutes about his parents and the fact that the bad guy was Curt Conners. Andrew Garfield was okay, but it made me appreciate how much more I liked Maguire in the role. I didn't care for his social awkwardness as Peter Parker, then to do the sarcastic Spiderman when in the suit a-la Maguire. I did enjoy Emma Stone though, much more than Dunst, mostly because I've never liked Dunst. I probably won't watch this again though, and I'm sure glad I didn't see this in 3D.
Old 07-03-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The main disappointing thing about this movie is that I have no desire to see it again, and I enjoy most super-hero movies, and if it had some awesome cathartic moment, or overwhelmed my senses, I'd want to see it again, but I can't say I'll re-visit this movie in the short term, if at all. But I'd still give the next sequel a viewing, and hope they learned from this initial effort on the reboot.
Old 07-04-12, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved it. It's not perfect (I thought the Lizard could have been done better), but it's now one of my favorite comic book movies. I thought it was definitely far better than SM 1 & 3, and it was slightly better than 2.

(And I would give 20 years of my life to be with Emma. 20 of the good years, at that... not 20 of those crappy years at the end of my life. She's batting 100% with me. )
Old 07-04-12, 12:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by trespoochies
then to do the sarcastic Spiderman when in the suit a-la Maguire.
What? Did we watch the same Raimi movies? The main complaint with Raimi's films was that they didn't translate Spidey's sarcastic, jokey personality. I struggle to recall one or two clever things he actually said while in the suit in those "movies".
Old 07-04-12, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are they not movies? Why the quotes?
Old 07-04-12, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Regarding the post-credits scene ...

It was clearly
Spoiler:
Osborn as earlier in the film there was an establishing shot of Oscorp where there was a billboard that showed him in shadows - but you could still see the wild hair. In the post-credits scene you could still see the wild hair.
Old 07-04-12, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Just got back from a screening. I liked it, it was certainly better than the last Spider-Man film. On par with the first two.

To be honest, I think from a physical standpoint Tobey Maguire is a much more convincing Peter Parker than Andrew Garfield. I thought Garfield had the mannerisms and body language of Peter Parker, but he's too much of a pretty boy to sell the "dorky nerd" aspect. Maguire has that.

I'm glad the action didn't have a bunch of 1st person views as one trailer made it seem. The action was pretty solid and the 3D was good. Reminded me of Prometheus' 3D in that it was subtle, more about giving you the sense of depth rather than having stuff thrown at you.

The script was a little too family friendly. Very corny lines at times.

Finally, I was really annoyed how Dr. Connors was able to build, by himself, a fully functioning, high tech lab in the fucking sewer...a day after he got fired by his boss. Whatever, I guess.

Anyway as stated before, I certainly think it's as good as any of the Maguire films, but I wouldn't feel comfortable saying it's significantly better than them. If we're comparing superhero movies I liked The Avengers a lot more.

Grade: B
I know. I want more realism in my giant lizard man/spiderman flying through new york movies.

I enjoyed the movie and thought Garfield was a much better Spidey/Parker, but I had 2 big gripes.

Spoiler:
I didn't like the way the Lizard looked, just goofy looking. And it seems like these movies can't help but add a "we can help spidey moment". Moving the cranes was as bad as the people on the bridge throwing stuff at Goblin.
Old 07-04-12, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Soooooo Willem Dafoe hair is what we're talking about here?
Old 07-04-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

I really enjoyed this, I thought Emma Stone was great, action sequences were well done.

But one of the nice touches was the picture of Feynman on Peter's computer.
Old 07-04-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as the many flaws go in this movie, it still had one major advantage over the original, and that was people who can actually act without resorting to horribly embarrassing overacting. It was so refreshing to not see Tobey Maguire's dopey, confused-looking face on screen. It was also nice to hear someone who could pull off the Spider-man quips without sounding totally uncomfortable and meek. The costume looked much better on screen and the swinging and fighting special effects, although not perfect, were miles ahead of anything from the original series, especially the first movie. I liked it.
Old 07-04-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Didn't read thread for fear of spoilers, but is this worth the extra $$ for 3D?
Old 07-04-12, 01:09 PM

The 3D wasn't worth it IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.