Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
0.83%
10.00%
34.17%
22.50%
11.67%
6.67%
5.00%
1.67%
0.83%
0%
0%
With great power comes me not seeing Spider-Man 4!
6.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
It's not that he's not being invited back..it's that he may not be able to come back due to contracted obligations.
Uh, no. "Contractual obligations" are a nice, corporate way of saying he's not invited back.
Old 07-19-12, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not impossible to think that Fox got him contracted to do a movie for them after Summer. It happens at times.
Old 07-19-12, 06:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If Sony really wanted him back, they'd work that out with Fox.
Old 07-19-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

It wasn't a clone saga in the 70's until they introduced all the ridiculous clone stuff in the 90's.
Old 07-19-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
It's not impossible to think that Fox got him contracted to do a movie for them after Summer. It happens at times.
Then explain to us how did he get to direct The Amazing Spider-Man? Webb signed on the dotted line to direct Spidey in January 2010. Five months after 500 Days of Summer was officially released into theaters and nearly a year after Webb signed his deal with Fox.

If Sony wanted Webb back, they'd get Webb back into the director's chair for The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Hell, if Webb was great to work with, they'd work on getting him an executive producer credit to allow him to have some input or say with the sequel.

It's clear as day that he's no longer needed by Sony.

And I'd bet money Webb's next film may not even be a Fox release.
Old 07-19-12, 06:09 PM
Banned

Ah. That i didn't know.
Old 08-09-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I finally got around to seeing this last night, guess I was entertained. A kid behind me asked "why is Spider-Man so depressed?", wish I had an answer.

All I kept thinking during the first act was why are we seeing the origin again? Who is running security at Oscorp? Andrew Garfield is way to old to be playing a high schooler and wow, Emma Stone is hot as a blonde.

The entire look of the movie was boring, I saw it in 2D and it seemed very flat, couldn't even see how this was shot for 3D.

I thought the movie was okay, I did enjoy the second and third acts but the plot holes and moping drag it down.
Old 08-09-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I walked out of "Amazing Spider-Man" thinking to myself, "That was a good Spider-Man movie." It was well-made, it was fun, it entertained, but it was hardly superlative entertainment. 3.5 out of 5 seemed reasonable. It just really didn't provide anything new, distinctive, or innovative.
Old 08-09-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
I finally got around to seeing this last night, guess I was entertained. A kid behind me asked "why is Spider-Man so depressed?", wish I had an answer.

All I kept thinking during the first act was why are we seeing the origin again? Who is running security at Oscorp? Andrew Garfield is way to old to be playing a high schooler and wow, Emma Stone is hot as a blonde.

The entire look of the movie was boring, I saw it in 2D and it seemed very flat, couldn't even see how this was shot for 3D.

I thought the movie was okay, I did enjoy the second and third acts but the plot holes and moping drag it down.
I saw it in 3D and couldn't figure out why it was in 3D either. It wasn't a problem since I don't really like 3D anyway

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I walked out of "Amazing Spider-Man" thinking to myself, "That was a good Spider-Man movie." It was well-made, it was fun, it entertained, but it was hardly superlative entertainment. 3.5 out of 5 seemed reasonable. It just really didn't provide anything new, distinctive, or innovative.
total agreement
Old 12-07-12, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched it yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. Certainly much more than The Avengers. Not sure what everyone's problem is with The LizardMan. I thought he was very formidable and menacing.
Old 12-07-12, 03:32 AM
Banned

It's just The Lizard.

He's a big ass cliche villain in the film. His motivation is weak and expected. As an adaptation of the character it's pretty bad too. While becoming the creature is an unexpected affect of the regeneration process for him, there was always a clear distinction between the two personalities. A Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde type of thing. Here it was pretty much the same guy. Which weakens the drama inherent in the character from the comics and is weak in the film as well.

Also as visual image, his look is pretty boring. The comic's look w/ the Labcoat (usally along with some pants) is extremely iconic for him and was there for a small as fuck bit. Though I did like the color hues on him.

A thing that bothers me personally is that he loses his dick. Like...he grows a tail. Fine. We have tail bones for that. He grows an arm back, ok. Physically gets a lizard type of structure and ability akin to lizards. Alright. His head still being humanish makes more sense in a scientific manner but I do miss his iconic look. So that doesn't bother me too much while being a dull design still. How the fuck does he lose a dick? He gains a tail and transforms into the lizard. His arms, legs, neck, and I'm assuming other human structures work the same..but somehow he loses his dick? All the other human parts are there..but his dick. That's weird as fuck.

Now...I like the film. It gets a lot of stuff right but also a lot of stuff wrong. And a good chunk of the Parker stuff. The Spider-Man stuff is great fpr the most part. Gwen Stacy is sooooo much better than MJ from the Raimi films. You can also feel that stuff was cut out of the film and we know what was cut as well. This was felt early on too. Some plot holes here and there. It modernizes Parker, which is good. But it also gives him some weird ass character traits that aren't Parker. I like Garfield being Parker though. He's a good Spidey. Aunt May and Uncle Ben were also poorly developed. Script was weak though. Visuals were fucking nice. Really loved how the production design didn't always feel like a set (Raimi's always felt like that) and very cool color palette in this film.

The biggest offender in this reboot is that...well...it's an origin story again. And it doesn't even make it feel fresh which makes it worse.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-07-12 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-07-12, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
That's just sad. I look forward to Men in Black 4 directed by Shane Black.

P.S.- Holy shit, I actually would look forward to that.
I glanced at your post and did a double take because I thought you were being serious. Damn you for only making a joke and not stating actual Shane Black news.

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-07-12 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-07-12, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

It wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be but it was ruined by The Lizard. They did a terrible job on him.

I would give it 2 1/2 out of 5. Average nothing more. Nothing I would watch again.
Old 12-07-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I glanced at your post and did a double take because I thought you were being serious. Damn you for only making a joke and not stating actual Shane Black news.
There is so much awesome in that potential that it's a shame it's not real. Robert Downey Jr would make a great addition.
Old 12-07-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Hey, I would love to be able to have access to Shane Black news. Give me access to Shane Black and I'll post all the Shane Black news I can find out. I'll try to use more smiley faces when I'm joking and none when I'm not.

P.S.-Shit, I already messed up.
Old 12-07-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
There is so much awesome in that potential that it's a shame it's not real. Robert Downey Jr would make a great addition.
He could play a young Agent J.
Old 12-07-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I found it by searching on TASM thanks to the part 2 thread

Finally got around to watching this yesterday. Question:
Spoiler:
If they're dabbling in crossing genes, how there be an antidote? Once the metamorphosing takes place that means the DNA has been changed. You can't change back with a gas......
Old 06-08-13, 04:35 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I finally got around to seeing this today. My opinion: worse than the Raimi/Maguire movies (the first two, anyway) in just about every conceivable way. The plot was jumbled, the characterizations were inconsistent, both internally and with respect to their fidelity to the source material, the action set pieces were mediocre, and the lead was poorly cast.

I liked Emma Stone, though I don't think her character bore any resemblance to Gwen Stacy.
Old 06-08-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Yeah I didn't really care for it much the first time I saw it and the more times I've seen it since I actually like it less. The film to me just feels overall forgettable and I don't really have any ambitions to see a sequel or anything more. I also didn't care much for Garfield's portrayal of Parker/Spidey and The Lizard was just weak as a villain in it if you ask me. Also wasn't a big fan of the way Uncle Ben gets killed by the same guy who "helped" Peter out when he was being all emo over not having enough cash for a chocolate milk . The one thing it had going for it that I really liked was Emma Stone as Gwen. She's not only pretty to look at but I actually enjoyed the character a lot too.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-08-13 at 04:50 PM.