Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
0.83%
10.00%
34.17%
22.50%
11.67%
6.67%
5.00%
1.67%
0.83%
0%
0%
With great power comes me not seeing Spider-Man 4!
6.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by IstvanTheHun
and posters w/o knowledge of who here is in the film industry and who is not would be more proper also.

I still think "fanboys" have a better grasp of these genre stories than many veteran screenwriters and directors.
Yes, but the internet is anonymous so we all assume we're nobodies. So if you're a guy who works in it? cool. It still is asking too much though, your idea is too much. Also...if you want Secret Wars it can't be that w/o all those villains. Doom and Beyonder are fine but...we didn't like the whole idea of Secret Wars cuz of those 2. Then you got rights issues, etc etc.

I dunno. You say Star Wars fanboys and that's the worst I can think of. I think if you get someone who likes the property and can be respectful to the source (whatever that means) you'll be fine. You don't need fanboys for the directors.
Old 07-09-12, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

James Garfield is a douchebag

"SCREW YOU, ISTVANTHEHUN! SCREW YOU UP YOUR SNOTTY BUMHOLE!!"
Old 07-09-12, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Thanks for proving my argument.
I didnt realize your argument was that you didn't know the difference between a romcom director and a sci-fi/fantasy director.
Old 07-09-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Old 07-09-12, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Yes, but the internet is anonymous so we all assume we're nobodies. So if you're a guy who works in it? cool. It still is asking too much though, your idea is too much. Also...if you want Secret Wars it can't be that w/o all those villains. Doom and Beyonder are fine but...we didn't like the whole idea of Secret Wars cuz of those 2. Then you got rights issues, etc etc.

I dunno. You say Star Wars fanboys and that's the worst I can think of. I think if you get someone who likes the property and can be respectful to the source (whatever that means) you'll be fine. You don't need fanboys for the directors.
Well I agree, we are all anonymous,so its hard to gauge who knows what they are discussing and who is just armchair filmmaking.

I do realize that Secret Wars is a big undertaking. But, if they wrote it as a multi-part epic, it could definitely work. Nobody thought the Avengers would work, with all those characters, but Whedon pulled it off. If I was in charge of Marvel studios, I would plan to steer all the single films and the team films towards a big Secret Wars-type finale, and then blow it all up.

I agree that you dont need a fanboy to direct, but I'd rather take my chances with a fanboy than a non-fan. Case in point: when Stuart Baird directed Star Trek:Nemesis. he knew nothing about Star Trek, and they thought that kind of fresh attitude was required. the movie was a big failure, and nobody was satisfied - fanboys and nonfans equally.

But certain people have way more of an affinity for the material than most - and I'm talking true fans - who understand the crux and history of the material, not hacks like Mark Stephen Johnson (who is a capable filmmaker, but has proven himself to be unworthy of Marvel, several times unfortunately).

lol that made my day! thanks. (I dont know why I keep calling him James Garfield....i've been doing it all day!)
Old 07-09-12, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference between fanboys and the filmmakers is that filmmakers are trying to condense established, pre-conceived notions of characters and events into something that would work on-screen and be its own thing (with varying results) for a larger, general mass audience, sometimes for two hours, sometimes for a franchise. Fanboys want everything and the kitchen sink thrown in regardless of how well it works when taken from one medium to another, because the source material in a fanboy's eyes is always superior, even when taking it and making a film out of it would be even more ridiculous (depending on how the core concept is) than what actually ends up on screen. It may work for them but might not work for everyone else.

And face it, there are more general audience members then there are fanboys. Compromises have to be made, again with varying results.

It's a balance, a tightrope, whatever term fits, but these movies can't please everyone.
Old 07-09-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Marc Webb is probably not a fan, and his movie is pretty lame. Raimi is a huge fan. Tim Burton was a Batman fanboy.
He sounds like he's a fan in this interview. And you should also know that directors want their own take on things, good or bad. I think Burton proved that with his 2 Batman films, especially when it came to the look of the films.
Old 07-09-12, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

The biggest comic book fanboy director that shouldn't be directing comic book movies is Mark Steven Johnson. Before Daredevil and Ghost Rider, it was Simon Birch. I think Webb has done a much better job coming from (500) Days of Summer to The Amazing Spider-man. The was some promise in the Daredevil DC, but he just can't pull it off.
Old 07-09-12, 07:52 PM
Banned

I didnt realize your argument was that you didn't know the difference between a romcom director and a sci-fi/fantasy director.
It wasn't.
Old 07-09-12, 08:19 PM
Banned

Yeah. MSJ is the worst fanboy. To make it worse he's a mediocre director too.
Old 07-09-12, 08:27 PM
Banned

I'd also argue that setting up the Avengers is a lot easier than trying to rein Secret Wars into some type of film. God...the writers would probably want to commit suicide to make that work.
Old 07-09-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
The biggest comic book fanboy director that shouldn't be directing comic book movies is Mark Steven Johnson. Before Daredevil and Ghost Rider, it was Simon Birch. I think Webb has done a much better job coming from (500) Days of Summer to The Amazing Spider-man. The was some promise in the Daredevil DC, but he just can't pull it off.
MSJ is a great argument as to why you should never let a fanboy actually make move versions of their favorite comics. Instead of making a movie for both comic book fans and non-fans, they will most likely make something closer to how they "always envisioned" it should have been when they were reading. If that's not what other people want to see, to hell with them, they're not making the movie.

While he knows how to make stuff that's amazing from an FX standpoint, James Cameron's version of Spider-Man would have been a disgrace to the character. While he was an alleged fan of the character, if you read his treatment it's obvious he was going to be presenting what he thought Spider-Man should be, not what it was, no matter how illogical or disturbing. (The scene he wrote of Spidey doing light bondage sex with Mary Jane on top of the Brooklyn Bridge is something else entirely.)
Old 07-09-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

nice condescending douchebag tone.

IstvanTheHun, meet Dragon Tattoo. He knows no other tone.
Old 07-09-12, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Tim Burton was a Batman fanboy? Didn't he say he doesn't even read comics? Plus he made the Joker kill Wayne's parents, so there's that.
Old 07-10-12, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Tim Burton was a Batman fanboy? Didn't he say he doesn't even read comics? Plus he made the Joker kill Wayne's parents, so there's that.
Spoiler alert!
Old 07-10-12, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If a fanboy had made the Star Wars prequels, they probably would not have been as horrendous as they were.
That's a clown statement, bro.
Old 07-10-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Why don't you actually watch the movie before bitching in all of its threads?
Ok. I did. This was even worse than I thought because it was so boring. I would've been okay with even the lizard cops causing some rampage even though it was a little cheesy but this movie was so boring that it forgot to put that scene in. Peter Parker wasn't a nerd in this but I wasn't turned off by the skateboarding or him wearing a hoodie. He could have still been a nerd and still had those things. Whatever. I think the movie completely misses the essence of who Peter Parker is, an outcast nerd who's been thrust into greatness and has to learn how to deal with it. In all honesty, I felt Raimi's films got that core concept right and for me, they get all of the leeway in the world. This movie does not.

The lizard looks like shit, has a stupid plan and was boring in this movie. There is no joy in this movie. The only sort of joy comes from Stone's and Garfield's scenestogether. But this is not a romance. Although I wouldn't mind seeing a romance with a superhero type film, there's not enough scenes between the two of them to make me care. Also, plot points are dropped here and there. Bore, bore, bore. I can honestly say this is the worst Spider-man I've seen. Spider-man 3 had the Sandman transformation scene, Peter trying to be cool but can't because he's too much of a nerd deep down(which is supposed to be funny) and...I guess that's it. At least it had those things.

I await the comic book people telling me that the movie was supposed to be boring because it adapted issue number yada, yada, yada which was in fact boring. Eh. Don't care. And I liked how the pursuit of Uncle Ben was dropped. I did like that during the pursuit, he slowly turns into Spider-man but just forgetting about getting the criminal that shot your Uncle(the man who was your "real" dad, you heartless asshole)is just asinine. I'm sure the makers of the next one will say this was the plan the whole time, that he'll find his uncle's killer next time. Having Spider-man just forget about it kinda misses the point of Spider-man, no? Anyways, I've glued my asshole shut so that anyone who feels sore about my opinion can go ahead and rip me a new asshole. Gonna cleanse this shit palate i have and watch an actual good Spider-man movie and that would be either 1 or 2, smartasses.
Old 07-10-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

^Obviously not a real fan.
Old 07-10-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Kevin Smith's Spoilers with Stan Lee on TAM.
Old 07-10-12, 03:41 PM
Banned

I hate that show. So boring.
Old 07-10-12, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I skipped to just the Stan Lee part, thought he'd talk about the movie, but his appearance was good. Turned it off after that.
Old 07-10-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
Ok. I did. This was even worse than I thought because it was so boring. I would've been okay with even the lizard cops causing some rampage even though it was a little cheesy but this movie was so boring that it forgot to put that scene in. Peter Parker wasn't a nerd in this but I wasn't turned off by the skateboarding or him wearing a hoodie. He could have still been a nerd and still had those things. Whatever. I think the movie completely misses the essence of who Peter Parker is, an outcast nerd who's been thrust into greatness and has to learn how to deal with it.
Bingo. That is the essence of what makes Spider-Man great. He's the unlikely superhero. He gets to do all the things that Peter never could, he can be everything that Peter never could.

In all honesty, I felt Raimi's films got that core concept right and for me, they get all of the leeway in the world. This movie does not.
Yep. Raimi at least got the idea right. And his movies were fun. Spider-Man is supposed to be fun. ASM was light on the fun part.

Also, plot points are dropped here and there...

...the pursuit of Uncle Ben was dropped. I did like that during the pursuit, he slowly turns into Spider-man but just forgetting about getting the criminal that shot your Uncle (the man who was your "real" dad, you heartless asshole) is just asinine.
The Peter Parker of every other version of Spider-man would have never let that go. Uncle Ben meant too much to him. And it's the realization that he could have prevented Uncle Ben's death that forges his resolve to selflessly go after the bad guys from then on. This Peter kinda, sorta, almost has that, but you never really get the sense that this is that traumatic event for which he cannot forgive himself.

I didn't think the movie was flat-out bad, but it wasn't nearly as good as it could have (and should have) been. Too many plot holes, too many things that were conveniently there for Peter
Spoiler:
(like the anti-lizard serum already worked up and ready to go).

I don't get the love that this movie is getting. The director's cut of Daredevil was better than this. Significantly better.
Old 07-10-12, 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I don't get the love that this movie is getting. The director's cut of Daredevil was better than this. Significantly better.
Old 07-10-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

^Obviously not a real fan.
But I'm wearing my Spider-man underoos right now.
Old 07-10-12, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Bingo. That is the essence of what makes Spider-Man great. He's the unlikely superhero. He gets to do all the things that Peter never could, he can be everything that Peter never could.

Yep. Raimi at least got the idea right. And his movies were fun. Spider-Man is supposed to be fun. ASM was light on the fun part.

The Peter Parker of every other version of Spider-man would have never let that go. Uncle Ben meant too much to him. And it's the realization that he could have prevented Uncle Ben's death that forges his resolve to selflessly go after the bad guys from then on. This Peter kinda, sorta, almost has that, but you never really get the sense that this is that traumatic event for which he cannot forgive himself.

I didn't think the movie was flat-out bad, but it wasn't nearly as good as it could have (and should have) been. Too many plot holes, too many things that were conveniently there for Peter
Spoiler:
(like the anti-lizard serum already worked up and ready to go).

I said this before but

Spoiler:
Is it that hard to believe that they had a serum to counteract the work they had been doing for years? Sure they changed the recipe a little when Peter gave Connors the algorithm, but if they can adjust the medicine that quickly, surely they can adjust the serum.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.