Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does Beetlejuice still hold up?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I saw Beetlejuice at a movie theater last night. Growing up I ranked it high on my list of favorite comedies. Now I consider it mediocre. The flamboyant redecorater and wife that moves in were annoying. Winona Ryder was okay. The one that steals the show is of course Michael Keaton's Beetlejuice. It looked like he had a blast playing that character. My favorite part was the scene when the dinner party are forced into song and dance number so Keaton's character was the best part in an otherwise boring film. What did you guys think about the movie?
Old 06-18-12, 09:56 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Does Beetlejuice still hold up?

Liked it as a kid, still like it as an adult. Ranks as one of my most favorite Burton films. if we're looking back at his stuff, I would say Beetlejuice still holds up, but Batman is what doesn't.
Old 06-18-12, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts

I watched it again a few months ago, and enjoyed it as much as I did as a child. Good stuff, although I think the scene with the musical number is one of the worst parts of the movie. Annoyed me back in the day, annoys me now.
Old 06-18-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Still holds up for me. Enjoyed it then and now.
Old 06-18-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reviewed it a few years back and it didn't hold up at all (and neither did Batman).
Batman Returns, on the other hand, was better than I remembered.
Old 06-18-12, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still holds up.

One of the most imaginative movies ever made & one of the most entertaining. Watching it today, it's surprising that a major studio like Warners was behind it; it wouldn't be made today.

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Good stuff, although I think the scene with the musical number is one of the worst parts of the movie.
Haha, it still makes me laugh & I've seen it countless times. Catherine O'Hara is so into it & the sight of Dick Cavett shaking his ass before being attacked by a ghostly shrimp hand is just one of the many pleasures to be found within Beetlejuice.
Old 06-18-12, 10:59 AM

Agreed. How many films even closely relate to "Beetlejuice's" plot? Ironically, the weakest link is Beetlejuice himself, but he serves as a fun little "bonus" to the main story between the couple and the daughter.

The afterlife waiting room is worth revisiting alone. And Otho...
Old 06-18-12, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 490 Likes on 323 Posts

I also caught this reccently and thought it was excellent. Because of the stylistic set design and performances the movie dosen't look dated the same way most late 80's features are.

I like all the details of the afterlife and the conflict of terrible people moving into a house you can't leave. I'm impressed that despite the goofiness, the movie pulls off a few tone shifts to have breif moments of genuine creepiness and sadness.

Infact, jotting these thoughts down makes me want to put it on again soon.

I am not a Tim Burton fan. I find his films are consistantly poorly told and he makes terrible decisions. But Beetlejuice is a bright shining star in his body of work. I would pick this and Ed Wood as his best movies.
Old 06-18-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
The flamboyant redecorater and wife that moves in were annoying.
You're kidding right?

This is a movie about an earnest couple who has to put up with a bunch of pretentious yuppies taking over their home.

THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ANNOYING.
Old 06-18-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 377 Likes on 269 Posts

Still holds up. I see it on a much more "indie" level now. A lot of it looks low budget, with odds and ends from the Goodwill Store.

Also, when I was younger, I saw it like a Saturday Morning Cartoon (and I did watch the cartoon). Now, it comes across as very artful and unique. It's really cynical, dark and hateful.
Old 06-18-12, 02:52 PM
En vacance

Originally Posted by chris_santucci
Agreed. How many films even closely relate to "Beetlejuice's" plot? Ironically, the weakest link is Beetlejuice himself, but he serves as a fun little "bonus" to the main story between the couple and the daughter.

The afterlife waiting room is worth revisiting alone. And Otho...
How is the weakest link?

Movie holds up but BJ has a surprisingly short screen time on there but then again makes his scenes all the more ... juicy.
Old 06-18-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

Just watched this recently and still enjoy it.
Old 06-18-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't care for it the first time I saw it, but after a couple of viewings several years later, I like it a lot more now.
Old 06-18-12, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by FRwL
How is the weakest link?

Movie holds up but BJ has a surprisingly short screen time on there but then again makes his scenes all the more ... juicy.
I liked "Beetlejuice" as a character, but he's very one note and over-the-top compared to the rest of the players, including the bizarre new home buyers. You could almost take him out of the film and get away with it...if the film weren't called "Beetlejuice."

www.film-matters.net
Old 06-19-12, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't like it then and like it less today.

For my tastes the only Burton films I really like and stand the test of time are Ed Wood and Batman Returns.
Old 06-19-12, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts

I've seen Beetlejuice ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.
Old 06-19-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dom56
I've seen Beetlejuice ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.

Seriously, this will always be one of my favorite movies. My wife's too. We actually got married and I was Beetlejuice and she was Lydia. (and yes I did the voice and we did costumes). I would post it as it is pretty freaking hilarious. But it's one of those our special moment things that I don't feel like sharing with the world, that's all
Old 06-19-12, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Love Beetlejuice. It's probably my favorite Burton film.
Old 06-19-12, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix

Seriously, this will always be one of my favorite movies. My wife's too. We actually got married and I was Beetlejuice and she was Lydia. (and yes I did the voice and we did costumes). I would post it as it is pretty freaking hilarious. But it's one of those our special moment things that I don't feel like sharing with the world, that's all
Suddenly my Vegas wedding where Elvis walked my wife down the aisle seems reasonably sane!

The movie holds up. The story meanders from here to there but nowhere near as badly as future Burton films would (nearly all of them, with the exception of Ed Wood and Sleepy Hollow). The manic energy, design, and obliqueness would be trademark Burton from this point on, but I think it comes together quite beautifully here.

groin, and
Old 06-19-12, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Suddenly my Vegas wedding where Elvis walked my wife down the aisle seems reasonably sane!
Elvis was our preacher. As it turns out, the guy does a lot of Elvis impersonating in addition to his ordained duties. Did a short film or two as Elvis, even has his own karaoke gig on Friday's and Saturdays (we would go but its pretty far from our house). It was a spectacle, that's for sure. (But so much fun)
Old 06-19-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of my favorite films. So, of course, it still holds up.

Michael Keaton was robbed of double Oscar nominations that year - lead for Clean and Sober and supporting for Beetlejuice.
Old 06-19-12, 10:01 AM

OK. We need to see at least one picture of this auspicious event. Please tell me you presented the ring on a severed finger.
Old 06-19-12, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by chris_santucci
OK. We need to see at least one picture of this auspicious event. Please tell me you presented the ring on a severed finger.
Yes, a severed finger was used. (well a fake one obviously ).

I'll see if I can dig up a few pictures once I get home, I didn't do the traditional Beetlejuice wedding costume, just the Beetlejuice outfit, makeup and very mussed up hair (I grew it out so my wife could go crazy with it).
Old 06-19-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're just cruel. That sounds so awesome. Please share just one token photo, please please please!

At least tell whether you danced to Day-O or Jump in the Line.

Last edited by RoboDad; 06-19-12 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-19-12, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by RoboDad
You're just cruel. That sounds so awesome. Please share just one token photo, please please please!

At least tell whether you danced to Day-O or Jump in the Line.
When I get home . Day-O was the walk-in, Jump in the Line was the ending and then when we ate, we had the movie playing. We did it at our house, so we were able to control just about everything we wanted to (except what my parents wore who were just thrilled I did a costume wedding /sarcasm). With this much interest, I might just see if I can dig up/convert the video to something that can go on youtube.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.