Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cloud Atlas -- D: The Wachowskis S: Hanks, Grant, Berry, Weaving -- Fall 2012

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cloud Atlas -- D: The Wachowskis S: Hanks, Grant, Berry, Weaving -- Fall 2012

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Cloud Atlas -- D: The Wachowskis S: Hanks, Grant, Berry, Weaving -- Fall 2012

Originally Posted by RichC2
The sci-fi segment looked like cheese to me, but was actually surprisingly good.
I found the sci-fi segment to be the most moving. The whole
Spoiler:
Ascension segment
Old 01-05-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Cloud Atlas -- D: The Wachowskis S: Hanks, Grant, Berry, Weaving -- Fall 2012

Finally saw this last night and was blown away. I freakin' loved every minute of it. I will admit it was tough to follow at times, but everything about the movie spectacular. The directing, acting, sets, special effects, score. My highest rating 10/10.
Old 01-06-13, 06:29 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
He looked like Ike Barinholtz, in Neo clothes to me.
My god, I thought the exact same thing. I also felt Hugh Grant sort of resembled Seth MacFarlane in the Neo Seoul segment.
Old 01-06-13, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by The Black
4 people walked out of theater, 2 couples (not simultaneously).
A girl behind us kept saying that she didn't understand anything.
No walkouts. In fact, everyone except the asshat sitting next to me seemed perfectly involved in the film. This guy strolled in and plopped his ass down one seat away from me when the theater was easily 60% empty. I knew I was in trouble when he whipped out the bag of popcorn he'd smuggled in and started muttering to himself about how shitty the trailer for the Evil Dead remake looked. This crap didn't stop once the movie started. He'd obviously seen the film before and kept giggling in anticipation of certain scenes (like Weaving's "leprechaun") and kept making stupid quips to himself, like "Uh-oh, here it comes!" or "What the f*ck!". When one character fell out of a window, he almost jumped out of his seat in hysterics. Just obnoxious. If he was with friends, I'd give it a pass. It's rude behavior regardless, but to carry on that way when you're by yourself is just pathetic.

Originally Posted by RichC2
Spoiler:
The rest of the story is about how an act of kindness ultimately ripples through time, though I'm still not entirely sure what that satellite did.
Spoiler:
Same here. Something about radiation killing Berry's people, I think. A distress signal? I was equally foggy on the specifics of the nuclear conspiracy her character was trying to expose in the 70s segment.

Last edited by joe_b; 01-06-13 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-06-13, 10:15 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
No walkouts. In fact, everyone except the asshat sitting next to me seemed perfectly involved in the film. This guy strolled in and plopped his ass down one seat away from me when the theater was easily 60% empty. I knew I was in trouble when he whipped out the bag of popcorn he'd smuggled in and started muttering to himself about how shitty the trailer for the Evil Dead remake looked. This crap didn't stop once the movie started. He'd obviously seen the film before and kept giggling in anticipation of certain scenes (like Weaving's "leprechaun") and kept making stupid quips to himself, like "Uh-oh, here it comes!" or "What the f*ck!". When one character fell out of a window, he almost jumped out of his seat in hysterics. Just obnoxious. If he was with friends, I'd give it a pass. It's rude behavior regardless, but to carry on that way when you're by yourself is just pathetic.

Spoiler:
Same here. Something about radiation killing Berry's people, I think. A distress signal? I was equally foggy on the specifics of the nuclear conspiracy her character was trying to expose in the 70s segment.
So why didn't you stop him?
Old 01-06-13, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Not everyone is in their early 20's and in a position to start a fight or intimidate someone. The guy sounds like a crazy dude. I'd just move. And, it doesn't help to even say something such as, "can you not be so talkative," as most asses look at that as a challenge to be an even bigger ass.
Old 01-06-13, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Honestly? Aside from not wanting to be "that guy", I thought he might have been a tad mental.

If he had been any louder, I would have just gotten up and moved. Thankfully, it wasn't enough of a distraction to ruin the experience of seeing the film. More like a moderate annoyance to my peripheral senses.
Old 01-06-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally saw this and... Wow, what a huge mess of a movie.

Spoiler:
The movie would've infinitely worked better as a mini series instead of a movie. The editing was just frustrating, not providing enough time to flesh out any characters. I particularly enjoyed the futuristic storyline of the characters in "Neo-Seoul". But on the other hand could've done without seeing Broadbent fool around in a nursing home with Agent Smith dressed like Nurse Ratchett. This is a good time to note that seeing the actors play the different characters was at best barely tolerable and at worst laughable. And I should go back and say Broadbent probably had the best performance in the film while Berry and Hanks were pretty much reading their lines.

The theme of the movie is better stated in the trailers than in the 172 minute run time. My biggest problem is how the characters don't change. Jim Sturgess is a hero in every story and Weaving is a villain. It is only Hanks who has some moments of good and bad. Perhaps that is the point?

Visually this was a feast at times but it was a chore to sit through. Even worse, there was nothing thought provoking about it.

I didn't have any expectations for this film. Though I hoped I would like it based on the positive reviews here but it didn't connect with me whatsoever.
Old 01-07-13, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved it.
Old 01-07-13, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 284 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Finally saw this and... Wow, what a huge mess of a movie.

I didn't have any expectations for this film. Though I hoped I would like it based on the positive reviews here but it didn't connect with me whatsoever.
Probably more difficult to get into a movie of this scale when watching a downloaded screener on your computer
Old 01-07-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Probably more difficult to get into a movie of this scale when watching a downloaded screener on your computer
I thought about that but I've watched a lot of movies I ended up really liking that way.
Old 01-25-13, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Just be happy you don't have to see the movie in China

I assume Warner Bros is happy with the guy saying you can download it online lol

Nearly 40 minutes have been chopped from the Hollywood film "Cloud Atlas" for Chinese audiences, deleting both gay and straight love scenes to satisfy local censors despite a movie-going public that increasingly chafes at censorship.

It premiered Tuesday in Beijing in a red-carpet ceremony with actor Hugo Weaving and China's own Zhou Xun, but won't start running in Chinese theaters until next Thursday. The filmmaker's Chinese partners have slashed that version from the U.S. runtime of 172 minutes to a pared-down 134 to expunge the "passionate" episodes.

"The 172-minute version can be downloaded online ... so I am sure some people will prefer that to going to the cinema," said movie fan Kong Kong, 27, who lives in Shanghai.

The "Cloud Atlas" filmmakers say they are confident their movie will retain its "integrity" despite being 38 minutes lighter.
http://www.kspr.com/sns-bc-as--china...,2551289.story

Old 01-26-13, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cloud Atlas ended its US theater run this weekend with a grand total of $27.8 million
Old 01-26-13, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Saw this last night. It was stellar.
Old 01-26-13, 10:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Cloud Atlas ended its US theater run this weekend with a grand total of $27.8 million
Damn, only 82 million worldwide.
Old 01-27-13, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think anyone was under the impression this would be a blockbuster. But it is quite a low worldwide take.

I never did see this and actually just thought about going this weekend since my wife (who had no interest in this) is out of town. And so of course it's out of theaters.
Old 03-15-13, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice to see that this is making money in the foreign markets. It's been released in various countries the last couple of weeks and made $94 million so far.
Old 03-25-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely love this movie. Love, love, love it! It seems almost like a movie ahead of its time. I wonder if we will look back on this one and see it as the start of something new.
Old 05-13-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Go to link for larger version

Old 06-03-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Watched this yesterday on Blu-ray. Really regret not making it to the theater for it. I am not 100% clear on everything that went on but that's fine since I will be watching it again soon, which I rarely do for blind buys unless I really felt something for it.
Old 12-29-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Watched this on blu last night. Loved it and will watch again soon. Going to get the soundtrack too.
Old 12-29-13, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, the soundtrack was great. Have it running all the time on my Spotify.
Old 12-29-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Yeah, I must get the BD and the beautiful score.
Old 12-29-13, 04:00 PM
Banned

I don't remember why I didn't during BF week but it is a film that I admire a lot for being so ambitious.
Old 12-14-14, 09:46 PM
Banned

Haven't seen this since its release. Got the BD from BF. Fuck. I love how goddamn ambitious this thing was. I wish we got more stuff like this kind of ambitiousness to hit the mainstream.

EDIT: Ha. I didn't get last year's BF but I got it this year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.