Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What movie would you remake?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What movie would you remake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What movie would you remake?

7 Faces of Dr. Lao, with Donnie Yen.
Old 04-27-12, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Millennium
Damnation Alley
Prince of Tides
Old 04-27-12, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi

No kidding. I swear every now and again I come across yet ANOTHER version that I didn't even know was made. I still hold that 1994's The Puppet Masters kicks ass, though.
The '78 version is superb. A classic in it's own right and more straight sci-fi horror than the '50's fear of communism version. Anything with Don Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum, Roni Cartwright and Spock in it cannot be bad. The '90's Abel Ferrara version is also good and interesting.
Old 04-29-12, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Traxan
Basic
Jarhead
The General's Daughter
Rules of Engagement
A Few Good Men
American Beauty (Hell, anything by Alan Ball)
In The Valley of Elah
Rendition
The Hurt Locker
Outbreak
Uh, yeah. Only problem with that list is that in most of them, the protagonists are also military. But hey, Don't let nuance cloud your opinion.

And the whole idea that senior officers are corrupt or incompetent does have a lot of basis in fact. It wasn't privates that gave all those "sunshine" reports to the president and Congress from 2003 to 2006 about how great things were in Iraq. Those PPT presentations came from guys with stars on their shoulders.

As for remakes, I'd like to see THE SEARCHERS, but set in modern times and improbably doesn't even have to be in America.
Old 04-29-12, 07:51 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hrmmmmm....remake for the Searchers. Maybe. Tell me how you'd do it and where you'd set it...
Old 04-29-12, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Showed the kids Jumanji for the first time last night. It holds up really well(a few of the effect not so much), but it's a concept that feels ripe for revisiting whether it's a remake or sequel.
Old 04-29-12, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Showed the kids Jumanji for the first time last night. It holds up really well(a few of the effect not so much), but it's a concept that feels ripe for revisiting whether it's a remake or sequel.
You mean like Zathura? Basically the identical movie made 10 years later. I guess in 2015 we could get another board game movie...underwater maybe.
Old 04-29-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
7 Faces of Dr. Lao, with Donnie Yen.
A movie that's closely based on the book The Circus of Dr. Lao would be awesome. No romance subplot, no land-grab subplot, no villain, and no loch ness monster. Unfortunately, a satirical movie about American attitudes wouldn't sell.
Old 04-29-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Hrmmmmm....remake for the Searchers. Maybe. Tell me how you'd do it and where you'd set it...
Afghanistan, today. An American or British mercenary searching the mountains for the sister of a friend from Kabul who was kidnapped by hill tribes. Or maybe she was kidnapped by the local drug lords, and subsequently sold to the tribesmen. Lots of shots of towering mountains and vast piles of loose rock.

Another possibility is upland Brazil, which has isolated tribes, and a claustrophobic lack of open spaces. The soldier could be from a corporate army that takes out locals who interfere with mining or logging operations.
Old 04-29-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I really want to see an updated Ladyhawke movie.
Wargames is an interesting concept that I want to see updated with modern technology.
Old 04-29-12, 08:22 PM

Nick Danger's ideas were pretty good, but if you don't like this you can enjoy his instead.

Major Ethan Edwards returns to his extended familiy's home in Southern Utah. He was CID in Afghanistan after being activated for active duty. But that's done and he's hoping to get some sort of fresh start and maybe go back to his civilian job with the FBI.
He's back a few days when his brother (we'll make him Forest Service or something similar) when the local sheriff shows up and warns the Edwards family that an extremist faction of polygamists has been active lately since their leader is on the run and might be coming through on his way to Mexico. The sheriff has a young deputy with him.
it's not long before the local law enforcement organs get word the leader (who we'll call Jeffries), and some of his faction are in the area. So Ethan volunteers for the search effort and finds himself partnered with the deputy. They soon get word that Jeffries is holed up at some distant cabin and every cop, FBI guy, and SWAT team is enroute. So they arrive, and soon enough there's a shoot out and... Jeffries isn't there.
Because he and a small number of his followers raided the Edwards house and killed almost every member of Ethan's extended family... Except for Ethan's 11 year old niece, who no one can find.
Ethan has nothing left. He's going to find Jeffries and rescue his niece. The FBI is cool with this and they extend him A LOT of power and resources, cause every one knows he's going to find Jeffries. Except he doesn't. At least not quickly. Sure, Ethan raids a number of compounds and puts a lot of people in jail. But Jeffries is always just out of reach. And there's pressure to stop Ethan since he's abused his position and the surrounding communities. He was a war hero. Now he's a nightmare.
After five years, reliable word comes back that Jeffries is back. And for what he's done, Ethan will make him pay. No matter who gets in the way. Even his now 16 year old niece, who reached "bearing age" some time ago...

So yeah. Plenty of chances for cool gun fights, beautiful pictures, and truly disgusting villains. Lots of ways to go and the above is somewhat shortened for posting purposes.
Old 04-29-12, 08:48 PM
Banned

....I chuckle not at the essential skeleton framwork that I see from your pretty detailed plot but....in reality...how dangerous are polygamists to make them as the bad guys to the extent in your plot?
Old 04-29-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can we move everything up 2 years and make the niece 18 and then cast Kate Upton in the role? Since she's been held as a breeding captive her wardrobe would be pretty small. If we're going for a pg-13 rating plenty of bra and panty shots would be ok but if it's R then at least 2 titty shots and a brief full frontal coming out of the shower shot would be ok too. And don't worry about Kate never acting before. She would have very few lines and would basically just be scenery.
Old 04-29-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I really want to see an updated Ladyhawke movie.
Wargames is an interesting concept that I want to see updated with modern technology.
I think there is a remake of Wargames and they called it Wargames 2.0 or smething like that.

I would like a remake of On Borrowed Time
Old 04-30-12, 01:40 AM

....I chuckle not at the essential skeleton framwork that I see from your pretty detailed plot but....in reality...how dangerous are polygamists to make them as the bad guys to the extent in your plot?
In reality? Probably more dangerous to self than others.

In a movie? As dangerous as they need to be.

There's real world precedent- Waco. The Elizabeth Smart kidnapping. The " lost boys"...

If needed, you could link the Jeffries group to narco-traffickers since I'm setting the story within spitting distance of Mexico and some of the more insane polygamists have set up deep in Mexico...

Any ways- lots of ways to go with the story.
Old 04-30-12, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Terminator 3
Halloween 3
Superman Returns
Old 04-30-12, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
You mean like Zathura? Basically the identical movie made 10 years later. I guess in 2015 we could get another board game movie...underwater maybe.
Must have missed that. Never heard of it.
Old 05-01-12, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by chowderhead
WarGames is basically an updated version of Colossus: The Forbin Project. Same concept, but the original is more serious and has a darker ending.
Old 05-02-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'd remake children of the corn, and have the opening of the original as the climax of the remake. more of a prequel, but it'd be more of a rearranging.

i'd get jonsi or panda bear to do the soundtrack.
Old 05-02-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

It would take place in NYC. I'd cast Robert DeNiro in the John Wayne role & Jodie Foster in the Natalie Wood role. Hmmmmmmmmm nah forget it.
Old 05-02-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Terminator 3
Halloween 3
Superman Returns
There's really nothing wrong with Halloween III except for the fact that it has the misfortune of being tied in with that franchise. The movie on it's own is actually pretty good if you ask me and would've worked out a lot better probably if people weren't expecting Michael Meyers. They should've really made the title something along the lines of Halloween presents Season of the Witch or something like that. I actually really like the film a lot though.
Old 05-02-12, 04:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sonic
Terminator 3
Halloween 3
Superman Returns
never see H3. So I won't comment on it.

T3 should have never existed.

Superman Returns...well..that's a given.
Old 05-06-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Prequel Trilogy!!

No Jar Jar, young Anakin is older(recast young/adult Anakin), Maul is the main foil for Obi/Anakin until Palapatine reveals himself and he stays alive through 3rd movie.

There were good ideas and moments scattered throughout the trilogy, but just not enough of them.
Fuck yeah.

I'd hire Roland Emmerich to direct because he can believably do big action and special effects set pieces without letting the quality of the acting drop below SF/action movie standards.

I'd hire Neil Gaiman to write the script because he would understand the Joseph Campbell style mythic ambitions that George Lucas had with the original trilogy (or at least the first movie).

And I'd condense the entire trilogy into a single 3-hour epic.
Old 05-07-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dugan

And I'd condense the entire trilogy into a single 3-hour epic.
And give up $1.5 billion in gross? Sorry but I don't see a job as a movie executive in your future.
Old 05-10-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Demons and Demons 2

I'd set up the first film an ode to film by shooting the film in digital, but by shooting the film-within-a-film in 35mm. When the survivors go into break the projection booth to stop the film from playing, they have have to figure out how to break a digital projection system rather than ripping the film out of a projector. Also, all of the scenes involving the drug-fueled punk teens driving around? Gone. It'll be the leanest and meanest 75-minute zombie film to ever grace the silver screen.

The sequel? Same plot, but the timeline will now take place during the same time as the events of the first entry and the drug-fueled punk teens driving around subplot will get ditched a second time.

From there, you could actually have a serialized movie franchise rather than random quasi sequels. So someone give me millions of dollars to make this happen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.