Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What movie would you remake?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What movie would you remake?

Old 04-26-12, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: What movie would you remake?

Originally Posted by Traxan
But Hollywood is so anti-military I seriously doubt they would ever portray the sailors as positively and professional as the original did.
Yeah, it's not like The Hurt Locker won any Oscars or anything...
Old 04-26-12, 08:47 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=joliom;11206320]

Forbidden Planet (1956) - it's a bona fide sci-fi classic, but it could be made even better by eliminating the b-movie schlock, the dated effects, and maybe approaching it with a cold, ultra sterile tone (ala 2001: A Space Odyssey).

If it could a real serious piece of work? I'd be game for that. Love the original but if it was given a different take...into the more "real" or "serious" form...I'd be very interested in that.
Old 04-26-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Now..never seen that film I'm assuming there's no sarcasm in that last sentence. So i'm just focusing on the bold. Michael Bay has shown the military in a very positive manner over the years. So have other films as well. I don't understand under what context you serve to say that comment.
Basic
Jarhead
The General's Daughter
Rules of Engagement
A Few Good Men
American Beauty (Hell, anything by Alan Ball)
In The Valley of Elah
Rendition
The Hurt Locker
Outbreak

(And more but I can't think of any more this early in the AM.)

All have portrayed military people atrociously. Senior officers are always dishonorable, vile and criminal. The hero is always someone who blows off the chain of command, orders, and proper discipline. Battleship is looking to be the same way.

The Final Countdown was directed by a WW II vet, and there was Navy cooperation, so I was not surprised at how it looked like a Navry recruiting ad in places. Still, I seriously doubt you will see Hollywood portray them the same way now.
Old 04-26-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Yeah, it's not like The Hurt Locker won any Oscars or anything...
That's not my point. I was commenting on how H'wood portrays military people.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...rit-isn-t.html

http://theamericanscene.com/2010/03/...sing-the-point

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb...er26-2010feb26
Old 04-26-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Basic
Jarhead
The General's Daughter
Rules of Engagement
A Few Good Men
American Beauty (Hell, anything by Alan Ball)
In The Valley of Elah
Rendition
The Hurt Locker
Outbreak

(And more but I can't think of any more this early in the AM.)

All have portrayed military people atrociously. Senior officers are always dishonorable, vile and criminal. The hero is always someone who blows off the chain of command, orders, and proper discipline. Battleship is looking to be the same way.

The Final Countdown was directed by a WW II vet, and there was Navy cooperation, so I was not surprised at how it looked like a Navry recruiting ad in places. Still, I seriously doubt you will see Hollywood portray them the same way now.
I can only go by my experience but most of the officers and senior NCOs I served with were assholes. I would say about 20 % or so knew what they were doing. It varied widely between unit types also. The SF Bn I was in had very lax discipline but the best in leadership. Some of the mech Inf companies had an addiction to regs and such and they were horrible in the field. The military is like any other grouping, it reflects the society that spawned its members.
Old 04-26-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to mention "The Wild Geese"...something I kind of hoped The Expendables would have been.
Old 04-26-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The Wraith
Weird Science
Laserblast
Fletch
Big Trouble in Little China

I would also love to see a sequel to The Marathon Man following the book Brothers which is one of my favorite novels.

Last edited by Unclejosh; 04-26-12 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-26-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
What's the point in remaking something that's damn near perfect?
Old 04-26-12, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I understand where you're coming from. Here are three potential reasons that immediately come to mind:

- Different idea/vision of an already well-respected and enjoyed story
- Increases notoriety of the original for younger audiences who haven't seen it
- New filmmaker may think it can be adopted successfully for modern times

and of course for $$$.
Old 04-26-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fair enough. You gave some good reasons.

I'm not anti-remakes mind you. I just dislike when studios just make what basically amounts to a beat-for-beat re-enactment of the original film.
Old 04-26-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A remake does nothing to diminish the original's worth contrary to some people's feelings.

I loved the original and would like to see more of that world. Since a sequel was never made at the time and now it's too late to be honest. A remake would reintroduce the world and maybe expand upon it. Could even start a franchise who knows?

maybe a reboot is the more proper term. Not because there was anything wrong with the original, just that I want more of it.

Add Sword and The Sorcerer to my wish list.
Old 04-26-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A remake does nothing to diminish the original's worth contrary to some people's feelings.

I loved the original and would like to see more of that world. Since a sequel was never made at the time and now it's too late to be honest. A remake would reintroduce the world and maybe expand upon it. Could even start a franchise who knows?

maybe a reboot is the more proper term. Not because there was anything wrong with the original, just that I want more of it.

Add Sword and The Sorcerer to my wish list.
As I said in the post just above yours, I'm not anti-remakes. I just dislike when studios simply make what basically amounts to a beat-for-beat re-enactment of the original film.

Heck, I think I'm one of only three people in this forum that's actually looking forward to the Highlander remake.
Old 04-26-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As I said in the post just above yours, I'm not anti-remakes. I just dislike when studios simply make what basically amounts to a beat-for-beat re-enactment of the original film.

Heck, I think I'm one of only three people in this forum that's actually looking forward to the Highlander remake.
I agree with you on the cash grab with re-enactments as well as the Highlander remake. Hopefully it will be done well as none of the sequels/TV shows lived up to the original.
Old 04-26-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barb Wire.

Although, I think I'd set the new version in northern Africa on the eve of World War II. And gender reverse the lead role.
Old 04-26-12, 01:44 PM

I agree [with the perfection of Big China], but I never liked the John Carpenter (set up a sequel) ending.
Old 04-26-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I'd "remake" Stalker, following the storyline of the original novella "Roadside Picnic" instead.
Old 04-26-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The Wraith
Weird Science
Laserblast
Fletch
There've been some very good suggestions in this thread, including these and Jaymole's suggestion of certain '50s sci-fi films like KRONOS and THIS ISLAND EARTH, and Joliom's suggestions of WESTWORLD and FORBIDDEN PLANET.

THIS ISLAND EARTH was good, but could have been much better with better casting and a bit more in-depth treatment of the aliens and their problems--and more time spent on the alien planet. (I've read the book and the section on the alien planet was much more extensive.)

The best remakes many of us would cite are THE THING and THE FLY, both remakes of '50s sci-fi. We can like the originals and still appreciate the advances made by the remakes. Lots of '50s sci-fi is ripe for intelligent remaking.

I agree with the notion of remaking BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA. I always thought it was made too soon. Imagine if it had been made 12-14 years later with Jet Li or Jackie Chan and with an American audience much more primed for Hong Kong-style action and with Tsui Hark or someone like him directing instead of Carpenter. I was never crazy about Carpenter's approach. Granted, I didn't see it until after I'd seen all the Hong Kong films that inspired it, so it was bound to pale in comparison.
Old 04-26-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fair enough. You gave some good reasons.

I'm not anti-remakes mind you. I just dislike when studios just make what basically amounts to a beat-for-beat re-enactment of the original film.
I hear you on that one. I can recall watching Gus Van Sant's remake of "Psycho", which was more or less the exact same movie as the original.

One that I actually enjoyed was Rob Zombie's remake of "Halloween". The original by Carpenter is one of my favorite horror movies of all time. But Zombie introduced some additional backstory and context to the world and characters.
Old 04-26-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I've always wanted to see a remake of The Gore, Gore Girls starring Parker Posey.

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Remake Leon: The Professional with Keanu Reeves.

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Scanners. I would have Cronenberg direct it again. Modernized, bigger budget, better actors.
This could be awesome.

Originally Posted by joliom
On a more serious note:

Westworld (1973) - great concept, but the pacing is too slow, the effects are dated, and the suspense could be ramped up big time.

The Stuff (1985) - given all the paranoia with the modern food industry - be it pink slime, trans fats, the obesity epidemic, mad cow disease, ecoli, genetically-altered food, hormones, etc. - this seems like a prime candidate for a remake. Eliminate all the comedy from the original and make it serious and dark as hell.
I remember many years ago when Arnold Schwarzenegger was attached to star in a Westworld remake.

I could see The Stuff working as a remake, too. I loved that movie when I was a kid.

Originally Posted by inri222
Martyrs

I would focus more on the philosophical & spiritual nature than the gore.
Isn't there a remake of this already in the works? I could swear I remember reading that.
Old 04-26-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Meglos
Barb Wire.

Although, I think I'd set the new version in northern Africa on the eve of World War II. And gender reverse the lead role.
Bart Wire?

I'd do Blazing Saddles, as a full-on musical. If Mel Brooks had to chosen to follow The Producers with BS on Broadway instead of Young Frankenstein, I think he could have had another hit.

It already has a few songs, so they have a starting point.
Old 04-26-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Battle Royale: In actuality, I'd remake it as being an HBO miniseries where it can combine the logistics of the film, book and manga into one avenue and not succumb to censorship.

Biozombie: I'd drop the comedy aspects and turn it into a horror film with social commentary on today's worthless teenage society.

Invaders From Mars: While I enjoy the 1986 remake as a guilty pleasure, I'd love to see a "serious" remake with an actual budget behind it.

Legally Blonde: Less of a remake of the original film, more of an adaptation of the Broadway musical.

Xanadu: Less of a remake of the original film, more of an adaptation of the Broadway musical.
Old 04-26-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, you might have something there with Battle Royale and Biozombie but you know todays audience would see BR as a take on Hunger Games. lol
Old 04-26-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nah. Everyone knows that the real remake of Battle Royale was this:

Old 04-26-12, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have never seen Battle Royale, but feel like I've seen the story in The Hunger Games, The Running Man, and The Condemned, as Meglos mentioned.

Also, seeing the trailer for Statham's Safe immediately made me think of Mercury Rising.
Old 04-26-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
Have never seen Battle Royale, but feel like I've seen the story in The Hunger Games, The Running Man, and The Condemned, as Meglos mentioned.

Also, seeing the trailer for Statham's Safe immediately made me think of Mercury Rising.
I don't think Running Man is a very apt comparison to Battle Royale.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.