Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
37.55%
29.60%
18.05%
7.94%
2.53%
1.81%
1.08%
0.36%
0%
0.36%
0.36%
Avengers Disassemble!
0.36%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

I enjoyed the look of the Hulk. He had that caveman/gorilla look to him. He'd be standing there on his feet and fists. Also, his physique was slightly different in that when he was still or not fighting his body looked like Tom Hardy's in Bronson, but when he would get ready for action he would tense up all over and just get shredded. I also identified with him more, because Ruffalo's likeness was there as opposed to Bana's and Norton's. Once those guys turned into the Hulk - Hulk looked nothing like them. Not with Ruffalo.

As for an Avengers 2, does anyone know if they've even thought that far ahead? Have they thrown potential release years out there yet?

Thanos will obviously be the bad guy, but here's hoping that they use Leader in there somewhere if they don't put him in the next Hulk flick. *thinking out loud*
Old 05-06-12, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Supermallet;11220458]I'd go with (best to worst): S5, S6, S3, S2, S7, S1, S4
QUOTE]

For me..

Season 3,2,5,6,4,1,7
Old 05-06-12, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Thanos will obviously be the bad guy, but here's hoping that they use Leader in there somewhere if they don't put him in the next Hulk flick. *thinking out loud*
They did blatantly set the seeds for him in the Norton Hulk and considering they've done Ross twice and Abomination already, I don't see a better logical pick.
Old 05-06-12, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the Hulk took the entire movie. We all lost it when

Spoiler:
The hulk and thor take down that creature and they are standing there all hero like, and hulk just side punches him

and of course

Spoiler:
I WILL NOT BE BULLIED BY..... THWAP, THWAP, THWAP, THWAP, THWAP. The look on Loki's face after that is priceless
Old 05-06-12, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

I avoided spoilers and actually thought he was Kang (For a moment there)

It's funny because...Oh, about 6 years ago, it was considered taboo to introduce intergalactic characters for Marvel Movies (Think back to the days of the theatrical releases of Spider-Man,X2,Punisher,Daredevil,Hulk) everything just had to be "Down to Earth" for audiences to accept.
And we're now we've entered the next phase where Marvel heroes get to fight battles pertaining to outer-space villainy (Maybe some good came out of Fantastic Four afterall!)
Old 05-06-12, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
By the way, was anyone else hoping Thor would wear his helm when he was summoning the rest of his armour towards the end of the movie? If they're willing to have Loki appear in quite a few scenes with his heml on, I don't see why the same could not have been done for Thor.
I saw it as a character choice. In Thor, Thor did not wear his helmet in battle, and the helmets seem to be used more for ceremonial purpose. Thor has humility and doesn't show off anymore, and even forewent armor for most of the film because he wasn't on Earth for the purpose of war. In contrast, Loki, to show how entitled he is and how regal he feels, is rarely seen without his helmet once he takes the throne in Thor and for much of The Avengers, always wearing it during moments he perceives to be of domination or grand victory.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 05-06-12 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Helmets cover part of the head; Helms cover the whole head
Old 05-06-12, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hulk smash! I think everyone else have said what needed to be said
Old 05-06-12, 01:32 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
I saw it as a character choice. In Thor, Thor did not wear his helmet in battle, and the helmets seem to be used more for ceremonial purpose. Thor has humility and doesn't show off anymore, and even forewent armor for most of the film because he wasn't on Earth for the purpose of war. In contrast, Loki, to show how entitled he is and how regal he feels, is rarely seen without his helmet once he takes the throne in Thor and for much of The Avengers, always wearing it during moments he perceives to be of domination or grand victory.
I can agree with that. Thor's more of a casual guy.

Also, sorry to continue this side discussion, but I can't fathom anyone rating a season of Buffy lower than season 4. The whole military storyline felt hokey even for the Buffyverse, and the terribly designed bad guy was just the worst. And Riley was the blandest (not most annoying, that would be Druscilla, but most bland) character ever on the show. And let's not forget such heart-wrenching storylines as "Buffy sleeps with guy who doesn't want a relationship OMG", "Enchanted beer turns people into cavemen", and "Xander feels aimless." Seasons 1 and 7 had flaws and dud episodes, but they were both masterpieces compared to season 4, which, "Hush" aside, is pointless and embarrassing and Whedon should be ashamed of himself for having agreed to it.
Old 05-06-12, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Oh, and I remember a few weeks ago where that GIF of Black Widow's obvious fake telegraphed headbutt looked like shit - it looked great on the big screen at full speed.

There's a lesson there: Don't put faith in slowed down GIFs. Unless they have bouncy (o) (o)
Old 05-06-12, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Oh, and I remember a few weeks ago where that GIF of Black Widow's obvious fake telegraphed headbutt looked like shit - it looked great on the big screen at full speed.

There's a lesson there: Don't put faith in slowed down GIFs. Unless they have bouncy (o) (o)
It still looked fake as shit. But Scarlet's physical attributes on the big screen allowed me to look passed the poorly telegraphed headbutt.

I can go with such an interpretation. However, since that was his "suiting up" moment, it would have made sense for him to enter battle in full regalia to make his intent clear.

And the prologue of Thor clearly illustrated that Asgardians wear their helms in battle. Just look at any scene where Odin went into battle.
Old 05-06-12, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pizza
There's more to a movie than special effects. You can have the greatest effects around but if the story and cast blow then so does the movie. Have so-so effects and a great cast and story and the movie is still good. I think folks are too harsh on special effects these days. Just my opinion though.
Story>special effects in my book.
Agreed. This is a movie about characters as much as the special effects.
A great ride.

Great cast. Great writing and... Great effects.
Old 05-06-12, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
And the prologue of Thor clearly illustrated that Asgardians wear their helms in battle. Just look at any scene where Odin went into battle.
You must have missed the bit where Thor, Loki, Sif and the Warriors Three battle the Frost Giants. Without helmets. I still contend that they're ceremonial, though one could surmise that his kit for the Frost Giants battle demonstrated Thor's unpreparedness (although that's unlikely, considering the other five people with him went into battle without helmets as well, even the ones who told Thor it was a foolhardy endeavor).
Old 05-06-12, 07:55 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a bit of a personal dislike, though not of the films themselves...

I really wish Thor used the complete chainmail look he's recently had.
Old 05-06-12, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
It's funny because...Oh, about 6 years ago, it was considered taboo to introduce intergalactic characters for Marvel Movies (Think back to the days of the theatrical releases of Spider-Man,X2,Punisher,Daredevil,Hulk) everything just had to be "Down to Earth" for audiences to accept.
And we're now we've entered the next phase where Marvel heroes get to fight battles pertaining to outer-space villainy (Maybe some good came out of Fantastic Four afterall!)
Yep, I was thinking how this was a good development (and was also somewhat realized with Asgard in Thor, I thought) I've always liked Marvel's alien races/characters/civilizations---I thought their "Annihilation" event several years ago was really good.

I really enjoyed The Avengers. Not much character development or slow moments, but that's okay because we got that in the solo movies---and the actors did a good job of keeping the tone they had developed there and bringing those characters into this one. Great banter among the heroes, both when they're arguing with each other, and teaming up. And yes, each of the heroes got plenty of great individual action scenes. Although I really liked both previous Hulk movies, Ruffalo was great and brought something really different to the role, I thought.

My only somewhat gripe---I didn't read comics much between 1985 and 2005, and I was more familiar with the Silver Age Avengers, so Black Widow still seemed a bit out of place amongst all those incredibly powerful heroes to me, given her relatively meager abilities. I thought her actual portrayal in the film was fine, but I would have rather had Giant Man and the Wasp in there---although it would have probably been impossible to introduce two more characters for this movie.
Old 05-06-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi

My only somewhat gripe---I didn't read comics much between 1985 and 2005, and I was more familiar with the Silver Age Avengers, so Black Widow still seemed a bit out of place amongst all those incredibly powerful heroes to me, given her relatively meager abilities. I thought her actual portrayal in the film was fine, but I would have rather had Giant Man and the Wasp in there---although it would have probably been impossible to introduce two more characters for this movie.
I really liked pretty much everything about the movie (except the crappy 3D but whatever) but this was my gripe too. Black Widow and the archer dude seemed completely out of place. Don't get wrong...I really liked both characters but what could a ninja and a guy that shoots arrows possibly do to a God and an army of technologically advanced aliens? We have a god, a super strong hulk dude, a guy in a super advanced suit that can fly and do all kinds of awesome shit, a genetically enhanced super strong dude with a super shield and then we have a guy that shoots arrows and a chick that knows Kung Fu. Their skills were just a joke compared to the other 4.

I'm not a comic book guy and didn't even know who those two were so maybe something just got lost in the translation but I think they should have used 2 other actual superheroes rather than 2 human beings who just had special skills compared to normal humans. I coud theoretically learn to shoot arrows as well as Jeremy Renner but I sure as Hell could never fly like Iron Man, smash stuff like the hulk or do godly stuff like Thor.

But minor gripe. Really enjoyable movie. I had a lot of fun watching it. I laughed my ass off when the hulk punched Thor for no reason.
Old 05-06-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Not much to add but I really enjoyed this film also. Not the most cerebral (TDK sort of set that bar at a different level), but what a geeky fun ride. Some guy in the theater shouted out "I'm loving this!" during a Hulk scene and I agree with him. It's just a fun, cool movie that works way better than I expected it would.

For all the bitching about this first image we got on this forum:

The scene wasn't in the movie, was it?
Old 05-06-12, 09:57 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

let's not forget that Wheadon cut out a lot. Like what? 30-40mins of stuff?
Old 05-06-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

You must have missed the bit where Thor, Loki, Sif and the Warriors Three battle the Frost Giants. Without helmets. I still contend that they're ceremonial, though one could surmise that his kit for the Frost Giants battle demonstrated Thor's unpreparedness (although that's unlikely, considering the other five people with him went into battle without helmets as well, even the ones who told Thor it was a foolhardy endeavor).
I didn't miss that part. And, yes, I took it to mean they were all flying by the seat of their pants. Even when they went to save Thor at the end. Contrast that to when Odin went to battle the Frost Giants in the prologue (and when he went to save Thor's ass from Laufy). Odin and all the Asgardians (including a guy wearing helm similar to that of Loki's) went into battle and engaged in combat whilst wearing their helms.

It makes sense since Thor can be impulsive and, as he stated in this movie, he didn't come for war (hence the incomplete armour). Once Thor decided to fight his brother and the Chitauri, that was the moment to wear the helm.

But given there was a deleted scene in Thor were Loki teases Thor about the feathers (wings, really) on his helm and Thor shows embarrassment, I'm guessing the writers (and possibly the filmmakers as well) just don't like Thor's helm.
Old 05-06-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
There must have been at least 50+ open seats in the theater but they decided to sit right next to me and the baby kept crying and fussing throughout a good portion of the movie. When he/she got really loud, and other people started staring at the couple, the mom took he/she out for 5 minutes then brought the baby right back in.
That honestly sucks! Where's your theater that doesn't allow any children after a certain hour!?

Originally Posted by mcfly
So long as they kept Ruffalo and didn't get another fucking actor to play the role, I'd be totally fine with it. I love Hulk and loved what Ruffalo did with him in Avengers, so another film is welcome.
I loved both Hulk movies so I'm completely down for one starring Ruffalo. He was clearly the best Banner and I love Ed Norton's turn in the role. Sign that dude to a contract now.

Originally Posted by The Bus

Advanced seating for easily sold-out movies seems like a no-brainer to me. At the theaters I went to in Hong Kong, they have an 80's tabletop arcade screen where you point to the seat you want. Easy system.
It's not a bad idea at all, but since it's not a customary practice it was surprising to all who bought tickets. The theater should have clearly indicated this to the customer upon purchasing. If I'd known in advance I would have bought tickets for our entire group so we could have sat together, especially since one of my friends is in a wheelchair and cannot sit in a regular seat. We had to argue with the usher about this matter.

I'll probably go back to this theater because it's nice not to have to line up super early to run and get better seats.
Old 05-06-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Etiquette rules on bringing a autistic kid who was occasionally disruptive to opening weekend prime time show? It was pretty annoying
Old 05-06-12, 12:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just say he's doing his Hulk impression.
Old 05-06-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any have a picture of the scene after the credits ?
Classic.
Old 05-06-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Another thing I forgot to mention:

They did a good job of making Ruffalo look small, so that his transformation would have more impact. His clothes and the camera angles made him appear smaller than RDJ, who is about the same height as him. Then again when RDJ is in the suit it makes him even taller than Captain America, so there are a lot of different sizes going on.
Old 05-06-12, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it with a near sold out crowd this morning and it was a complete blast. Whedon did a phenomenal job blending in all of the characters. Everyone got a good amount of the spotlight, and the Hulk, who is my favorite Marvel character, really shined in this one. The scene with Loki had everyone cheering/clapping. I suspect that is happening in most other theaters.
Old 05-06-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Any have a picture of the scene after the credits ?
Classic.
Spoiler:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.