Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
37.55%
29.60%
18.05%
7.94%
2.53%
1.81%
1.08%
0.36%
0%
0.36%
0.36%
Avengers Disassemble!
0.36%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Or the studio put the kibosh on it.
Probably but I think Joss is also smart enough to know that if you put the whole Scooby gang in cameos it could be a bit distracting. 2-4 is probably a good number. And Whedon's upcoming "Much Ado About Nothing" is basically nothing but actors from his past shows and projects with Amy Acker and Alexis Denisof starring I believe.
Old 05-05-12, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

musick, did you see it in 35mm or digital?
Old 05-05-12, 06:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
well...Batman and Robin does suck. Also...I'd prefer my Spider-Man to be white...or in general...my superhero characters to be what race they are in the comics...unless they're so goddamn awesome that their ability to be the character surpasses race...ie Idris fucking Elba as Heimdall.
A black Norse god makes way less sense than a black Spider-Man. Donald Glover would have been amazing.
Old 05-05-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the movie blew all of my expectations away. Definitely a lot of fun. I thought Whedon did an amazing job bringing the characters together and I would love to see it again, although not in 3D. That's the only option the IMAX theater by me had but I thought it was a bit wasteful since the only scene I really noticed anything was when Thor and Hulk were were fighting together towards the end of the film.

Loved the after-credits scene, too. That had me cracking up.

I don't know what it is, but the two times I've been to an IMAX screening (this included), some idiot parent decides it's perfectly sensible to bring a crying infant in to the movie. With how exceptionally loud the sound is, you'd think they'd have enough sense not to subject a very small child with sensitive ears to a movie chock full of explosions. When I saw The Dark Knight this happened and it happened just now.

There must have been at least 50+ open seats in the theater but they decided to sit right next to me and the baby kept crying and fussing throughout a good portion of the movie. When he/she got really loud, and other people started staring at the couple, the mom took he/she out for 5 minutes then brought the baby right back in.

I also don't feel a theater is a place to breastfeed a child but apparently the mom didn't care. I got a full boob in my peripheral a couple of times throughout the movie. The husband wasn't much better, either. He and their other kid who must've been 5 or 6 were hooting and hollering the entire movie when shit blew up and the dad was cracking lame jokes in quiet parts. The IMAX 3D tickets at this theater are $17 a pop, so times that by 3 and the snacks they had and it was over $75 he spent on this trip. Hope it was worth the money he burned and for the pleasure he had of his family annoying my section of the theater the entire movie.
Old 05-05-12, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's not forget the Mongolian. Though...he was like that already in the comics.
Old 05-05-12, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
"Clench up and hang on, Legolas" (or something to that effect) got a good laugh.

This almost makes me want to check out Whedon's work on Firefly/Serenity despite the fact it didn't look very appealing to me.
I would check out Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel first, if you haven't already.
Old 05-05-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I would check out Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel first, if you haven't already.
You can see Firefly first since it has no connection to the Buffyverse (though I think Whedon intended it to eventually) but if you want to see Whedon's evolution as a show runner, writer and filmmaker, Buffy to Angel to Firefly is the way to go. It's a pretty amazing body of work.
Old 05-05-12, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
"Donald Glover can't play Spiderman because he's black."
Spider-Man 2099 is a Latino guy named Miguel O'Hara. The new Ultimate Spider-Man is a black kid named Miles Morales.
Old 05-05-12, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Spider-Man 2099 is a Latino guy named Miguel O'Hara. The new Ultimate Spider-Man is a black kid named Miles Morales.
Do you really assume everyone on the planet reads the same amount of comic books you do?
Old 05-05-12, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mcfly
Do you really assume everyone on the planet reads the same amount of comic books you do?
I didn't say they did.
Old 05-05-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't say they did.
You don't have to say it. The tone of your replies when you correct almost everybody shows you think they should know it already.
Old 05-05-12, 06:49 PM
Banned

You don't have to say it. The tone of your replies when you correct almost everybody shows you think they should know it already.
Whatever. I never implied anything. I was just merely pointing out that there are Spider-Men of other races for people that didn't know and maybe perhaps were interested in knowing. I didn't expect many people to know it at all.
Old 05-05-12, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I tried watching Buffy S1 a couple times and could never get past the first episode or two; didn't even bother with Angel.

I saw some of Firefly at a friend's house, but I honestly thought it looked kinda lame. I do like his writing style, however, but I guess I'll just have to wait for Avengers 2 or something.
Old 05-05-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't expect many people to know it at all.
Fair enough.

Can someone explain why Joss Whedon gets a lot of flack? I've never watched Buffy, Firefly, or anything else he's done but is his stuff really that hit or miss?

He hit the mark with Avengers.
Old 05-05-12, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
"Clench up and hang on, Legolas" (or something to that effect) got a good laugh.

This almost makes me want to check out Whedon's work on Firefly/Serenity despite the fact it didn't look very appealing to me.
I actually disagree with the person who said to try other things by him. I love his work on Buffy and Angel. However, I think Serenity works on its own and could be viewed without having seen Firefly.

I am not saying to skip his other work. However, if you want to see a good movie I would give Serenity a try.
Old 05-05-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Firefly was decent. Never really bothered with Buffy or Angel, they just never appealed to me. Serenity and The Avengers both kicked ass.

I'm certainly not a fanboy for the guy but if Joss Whedon makes a movie that looks interesting to me I'll definitely check it out.
Old 05-05-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Can someone explain why Joss Whedon gets a lot of flack? I've never watched Buffy, Firefly, or anything else he's done but is his stuff really that hit or miss?

He hit the mark with Avengers.
I chock most of it up to nerd jealousy and Internet too-cool-for-school posing.

He's a great writer, has created and successfully run some of the best genre TV of the last 15 years and seems like a nice guy to boot. But the Internet has to hate something.

There are true hacks out there who deserve derision. You can not like what Whedon does, but he has done nothing to deserve outright hate.
Old 05-05-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
I chock most of it up to nerd jealousy and Internet too-cool-for-school posing.

He's a great writer, has created and successfully run some of the best genre TV of the last 15 years and seems like a nice guy to boot. But the Internet has to hate something.

There are true hacks out there who deserve derision. You can not like what Whedon does, but he has done nothing to deserve outright hate.
Where's that "Like" button when I really need it?

I'll have to settle for a hearty
Old 05-05-12, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Mcfly, that is absurd. I can't believe theaters allow people to bring infants. Ridiculous.
Old 05-05-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Kgrogers - i appreciate the comic knowledge you bring to the table, but I'll agree that your posts come off as condescending. Good to know that's not your intention, maybe you should work on the tone - add some qualifying sentences or something.
Old 05-05-12, 07:36 PM
Banned by request

Buffy is great, but takes a while to ramp up. Also, aside from "Hush" you can skip season four entirely. Just read a synopsis of the season or something, because it's awful.

Angel I never watched but am going to soon as I'm just now finishing a Buffy marathon.

Firefly/Serenity are IMO the best work Whedon has done to date. Something about that group together clicks for me on every level.
Old 05-05-12, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Get on Angel ASAP - I liked it even more than Buffy.
Old 05-05-12, 09:03 PM
Banned by request

I'm at the tail end of S7 of Buffy in my marathon. Once I finish that it's off to Angel land.
Old 05-05-12, 09:24 PM

I was surprised that the movie was written to have the Avengers run off at the end and not be about for the cleanup ...
Old 05-05-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

I finally saw this today and, though I enjoyed it a great deal, I can't say I loved it. Whedon definitely nailed the character interactions and, for the most part, the action sequences were great. I'll echo others' feelings that Ruffalo is the best Banner ever and Hulk was hilarious (though I felt the wait to see Hulk in the movie was excruciating, it made when he finally showed up all the better). And, although I liked her henchman fight in IM2, I felt Black Widow was far better utilized in this flick. It was also amusing to see Joss Whedon included a little hint of his foot fetish (though he wasn't in your face about it like someone like Quentin Tarntino would do) in the flick.

Unfortunately, the pacing of the film is off. There are some very boring stretches during the start and it's a while before the film develops a good rythm (though, once it does hit its stride, it never quits). Also, the plot was complete crap. It actually felt as if the script was written during shooting. Given how lame the Chitauri (or whatever they were called) turned out to be and how sloppily they were integrated into the narrative, I'm actually glad they didn't bother including the Skrulls. My only other gripe was that the chick who played Agent Hill, though pretty to look at, sounded like she was reading her lines for the very first time. Her delivery was only decent when she was talking to Fury about the cards.

That said, although it's not my favourite of the Marvel flicks, it's definitely a day one purchase and this non-Whedon Fanboy hopes he comes back to direct the sequel.

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
I was surprised that the movie was written to have the Avengers run off at the end and not be about for the cleanup ...
Since when does any super hero do cleanup after an epic battle?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.