Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jupiter Ascending (2015) D: Wachowskis; S: Kunis, Tatum, Bean

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jupiter Ascending (2015) D: Wachowskis; S: Kunis, Tatum, Bean

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Re: Jupiter Ascending (2015) D: Wachowskis; S: Kunis, Tatum, Bean

This made $32.5m overseas over the weekend. It's worldwide gross is currently at $50.8m.
Old 02-10-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
... (the names are just some of the worst i have ever heard...
Well, it worked for The Hunger Games and the names in that are even worse.
Old 02-10-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Thats another Sci-fi that blatantly ripped off other movies. I have no love for that series of films. And the less said about Divergent and that series the better. Just horrible movies.
Old 02-10-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

The roughest names in a sci-fi cast of characters are found in Mobile Suit Gundam Seed:

Athrun Zala
Lacus Clyne
Kira Yamato
Dearka Elsman
Flay Allster
Natarle Badgiruel
Patrick Zala
Murrue Ramius
Nicol Amalfi
Miriallia Haw
Cagalli Yula Athha
Muruta Azrael
Tolle Koenig
Mu La Flaga
Sai Argyle
Yzak Joule
Rau Le Creuset

And these have to be spoken by Japanese voice actors!
Old 02-10-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like a weird mix of Japanese and French
Old 02-10-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Netflix Chief says "4 hour cut of Cloud Atlas will blow you away", Wachowskis doubt they'll get big studio budgets again

“We’ve been lucky. People at studios have been interested in our crazy, strange brand of complexity. And we’ve been allowed to keep making them. Will that continue? Probably not.”

“But it was a good run,” Andy added.

Complexity and messy aren't one and the same.
Old 02-10-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
We’ve been lucky. People at studios have been interested in our crazy, strange brand of complexity.
So that's what it is, I can't believe that I'm so stupid.
Old 02-10-15, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The roughest names in a sci-fi cast of characters are found in Mobile Suit Gundam Seed:

Athrun Zala
Lacus Clyne
Kira Yamato
Dearka Elsman
Flay Allster
Natarle Badgiruel
Patrick Zala
Murrue Ramius
Nicol Amalfi
Miriallia Haw
Cagalli Yula Athha
Muruta Azrael
Tolle Koenig
Mu La Flaga
Sai Argyle
Yzak Joule
Rau Le Creuset

And these have to be spoken by Japanese voice actors!
Those are alright names. The Hunger Games names are downright dumbshit.
Old 02-10-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Netflix Chief says "4 hour cut of Cloud Atlas will blow you away", Wachowskis doubt they'll get big studio budgets again

“We’ve been lucky. People at studios have been interested in our crazy, strange brand of complexity. And we’ve been allowed to keep making them. Will that continue? Probably not.”

“But it was a good run,” Andy added.

Complexity and messy aren't one and the same.
I'm down for a 4-hour cut of Cloud Atlas.
Old 02-10-15, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm totally down for a 4 hour cut of Cloud Atlas. So damn good.
Old 02-10-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm down for a 4 hour cut of Cloud Atlas Bound.
Old 02-10-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
I'm down for a 4 hour cut of Cloud Atlas Bound.

Me too.
Old 02-10-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No way, name a seemingly villainous member of an evil rich society "Plutarch" is subtly at its finest.
Old 02-10-15, 02:04 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

They should transplant these characters into an "Avatar" sequel, and they can go mining for more "unobtainium".
Old 02-10-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/haT1yOrEtRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-10-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 778 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
They should transplant these characters into an "Avatar" sequel, and they can go mining for more "unobtainium".
http://youtu.be/j6znnJ1QISM?t=5m28s
Old 02-10-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Except that unobtanium is actually a scientific term which he used correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium
Old 02-11-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 377 Likes on 269 Posts

Four hour Cloud Atlas sounds good to me.

Saw Jupiter last night. So many big effects. A very unique world brought the screen. From the directors of The Matrix. And yet not one great sensorific moment in the whole movie.

There were no fantastic introductions, reveals, twists, revelations or payoffs.
Old 02-11-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 643 Likes on 495 Posts

I have Cloud Atlas on BD and I love it. Dunno what benefit an extra 68 minutes could be to what already felt like a complete and well paced movie (despite its length) but I'd be willing to give it a shot.
Old 02-11-15, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I heard someone call Jupiter Ascending this generations Waterworld.
Old 02-11-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
I heard someone call Jupiter Ascending this generations Waterworld.
I find Waterworld entertaining. Both cuts of that film.
Old 02-12-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why so full of bad taste?

Old 02-12-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoy Waterworld as well. It's a cheesy Mad Max 2 (ON WATER!) rip-off that doesn't make much sense (if the world is covered in water, why is everyone covered in dirt?) but it's an entertaining B (or C+) movie diversion.
Old 02-12-15, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The pics didn't work for some reason so let me try this again.

This article cracked me up. And, although I get that it's meant to make fun of the movie, this actually all but confirms my suspicion that the movie is meant as a self-aware homage to the kind of sci-fi cheese fests that were all too commonplace during the 50's.

Jet Boots. Bureaucracy. The Queen of… Space (?)

Jupiter Ascending: an illustrated recap

Okay, so Jupiter Ascending was a massive flop. The $150 million Wachowski space opera fell flat on its face, with a $20 million (estimated) opening weekend — despite the fact that Mila Kunis commands a bee army and Channing Tatum fights an army of winged Godzillas.

Are the Wachowskis done? Have they ever met a real human being that speaks in regular sentences? My illustrated review — spoilers, duh:

Spoiler:

The movie starts out with our main character’s parents meeting in Russia. Her father, a guy who seems to be a professor of looking through telescopes, and mother, also a professor, meet-cute on the banks of a river in Russia. We flash forward: mom is pregnant and a bunch of mobsters or communists or robbers or something burst in and start robbing them and he dies trying to save his precious telescope. He really loves telescopes. Mom skips town and gives birth in a shipping container. Gross.

Now we’re in space! On some planet where everyone has clearly been murdered. Eddie Redmayne and some people too pretty to not be evil call it “harvesting” and talk about galactic real estate and their dead mom. Redmayne can only muster a whisper, for some reason, a thing he does the entire movie.

Ok! We’re back on earth, in Chicago. You see the everyday life of Mila Kunis’ Jupiter Jones, who seems to have a job as a toilet cleaner with her aunt and mother- who I suppose left her math doctorate in the shipping container.

We see some people on a rooftop watch Channing Tatum, in Spock ears, walk through a wall. They whisper excitedly to each other about his boots. The wall he’s walked through is some medical clinic, and he figures out a lot of stuff by smelling pieces of paper. This is not the last time in the movie people figure something out by smelling it. I haven’t been working out my nose enough, it appears.

The people on the roof attack Channing, who turns on his boots because it turns out they are JET BOOTS. He basically speed-skates through the sky to get the hell out of there. I write “JET BOOTS!!!” in my notebook. Don’t worry about seeing the jet boots, because he uses the jet boots about 25 times in this thing. Jet boots.

The entire film (artist’s rendition)

Now, we’re on another planet that looks exactly like the elf city from Lord of the Rings. One of the evil siblings from before talks to a guy named MALEDICTES, who definitely isn’t also evil. The character names in this movie are top-notch.

So it turns out Channing Tatum was at the clinic because Mila Kunis is involved in some weirdo subplot about selling her eggs to get her cousin money, and she’s freaked out about her eggs being “harvested.” Later in the movie, it appears the universe’s one percenters take baths in stem cells made from “harvested” people to remain young forever. So remember: egg donation = genocide.

Mila is gonna use her egg money to buy a telescope. People are just nuts for telescopes in this flick.

So back on Jupiter, (the planet) Whisperin’ Eddie Redmayne tells his army of dragon men that Jupiter (the person) has to die. But just before a team of aliens pretending to be doctors can dispatch her, Channing Tatums pops in out of nowhere and rescues her. He flies off into the night again with his jet boots (jet boots!) holding Mila in his arms, one of many times he will do this.

Before they can get off the planet, Caine (Channing Tatum) and Jupiter get attacked by what look like a bunch of flying crawdads. Chicago gets destroyed. Sorry, Chicago!

They go to Sean Bean’s house, which is covered in bees. The bees love Mila! He’s not from Earth but has been banished to rural Illinois because Channing Tatum bit a guy once (natch). He says these words with a straight face: “Bees aren’t like humans. Bees don’t lie.”

He tells Mila Kunis she’s queen of space. It’s never quite specified what she’s queen of, but it appears to be the entirety of space. We also find out that Channing Tatum has Spock ears because he’s some sort of space werewolf, and does not have a pack. Bear with me here. He’s a … lone… wolf. Get it? Nice. He and Sean Bean are on a mission… to earn their wings. Literal wings. For flying.

They all get attacked and Jupiter is captured despite commanding a bee army. Channing Tatum doesn’t have a shirt on for an extremely long time, including an intergalactic flight. Jupiter finds out that she’s a genetic duplicate (but not a clone?) of the last queen of space, who was mysteriously murdered and the evil siblings are somehow her 40,000 year-old children. After another chase and a lot more shooting, Mr. Tatum whisks Jupiter off to BUREAUCRACY PLANET where they spend far too much time waiting on lines, and spend some more time talking about galactic real estate law. Jupiter tells Dog-Tatum that she loves dogs in a way that also reads as “I want to fuck,” which is a pretty deft line-reading if you ask me.

Jupiter is whisked away AGAIN by another one of her evil kids who explains to her why humans exist on Earth and it’s very Matrix-y. At this point, we are firmly in the Wachowski Bonkers Nonsense Zone: There’s more double-crosses, plot twists, incest weddings, a billion year-old society that doesn’t understand Nature vs. Nurture, and some remedial capitalism criticism. Wolfman Channing has to crash a spaceship to stop Jupiter from, uh, signing documents — not once, but twice.

The best thing about Jupiter Ascending is how it looks: the worlds are richly imagined and filled out with all sorts of great little details. Don’t believe the un-hype: It’s a doofy campfest but it seems to know it for the most part. It avoids being boring when it could have easily been considering it’s a space opera featuring a montage of people waiting on line at the space DMV.

Come for a man piloting a baroque starship from inside a bathtub, stay for Channing Tatum in elf ears murdering a bunch of guys with guns for arms in luchador masks.

Old 02-12-15, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anybody know why the image tags aren't working in my previous post?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.