Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jupiter Ascending (2015) D: Wachowskis; S: Kunis, Tatum, Bean

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jupiter Ascending (2015) D: Wachowskis; S: Kunis, Tatum, Bean

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Jupiter Ascending (2015) D: Wachowskis; S: Kunis, Tatum, Bean

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
That was a waste of time... (it hit Redbox today, so I'm only out $1.60 and 2 hours).
I had a free Redbox code, so I was only out 2 hours. Oof, this movie was not good.

"Call me Jupe."

But at least I'll be an informed listener of this episode of How Did This Get Made?

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/jupiter-ascending/
Old 06-30-15, 10:44 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I saw this on the plane ride back from my vacation to Asia.

Horrible. I absolutely hated this movie. Tatum and Kunis were totally miscast and I think the story was just too convoluted.

Probably one of the worst sci-fi movies I've seen in the last decade.
We all just watched the honest trailer (embeded above) and hound it more entertaining than the entire movie.

... and Sean Bean...
Spoiler:
I can't believe he survived!!!!
Old 07-22-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I watched this last night, and didn't really care for it. It looked good, but none of the characters were enjoyable at all. The best thing about it was what Goldberg mentioned in his spoiler above.

I don't know if my audio settings were messed up for some reason, but the action scenes in this movie had a weird muffled quality to them. Did anyone else notice this on the DVD? I tried different settings on the receiver, nothing sounded normal to me compared to other movies.
Old 08-15-15, 07:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This movie was okay. The effects were good, as well as the casting. It was just very rushed. The romance aspect either needed more time to play out or just shouldn't have existed. It took up time which could have been used to develop the plot further in other more important areas (like explaining things). This definitely should have been more than one movie. I could see myself loving it if the story was developed further. There was just too much introduced and then never explored, making most of the details and situations senseless. Character development was poor. Overall, I'm disappointed in a potentially wonderful film. 5/10
Old 10-17-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I guess I must be an idiot, because I did not think it was that bad. It looked great visually and had a lot of good ideas. Probably needed to be longer and more fleshed out, and rewritten (the ending was ridiculous) but I do not regret seeing it. Maybe was a trilogy they tried to condense into 1 2 hour movie.
Old 10-17-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw it last weekend and I thought it felt like a TV pilot. Complete with the exaggerated acting, cluttered plot and garish costumes that you usually see in those.
Old 10-18-15, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I watched this a few weeks back and it was spectacularly horrible in so many aspects. Everyone involved must've known at least half way through filming that this was a giant turd.

The studio was obviously banking on the Wachowski's past success to give it that a budget of 176m. Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas should've been enough of a hint that financing this was a stupid gamble.
Old 10-19-15, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

They are maybe the most over rated directors of all time. Bound was fine, the Matrix was exceptional and the highest they have ever gotten artistically, Cloud Atlas was good but not a masterpiece. Everything else has been turd central. They could have made two amazing sequels to the Matrix, but they got up their own arses (somewhere i am sure Lana loves....especially with a cattle prod and a dominatrix) and made such borefests with awful effects.
Old 10-19-15, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I watched this a few weeks back and it was spectacularly horrible in so many aspects. Everyone involved must've known at least half way through filming that this was a giant turd.

The studio was obviously banking on the Wachowski's past success to give it that a budget of 176m. Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas should've been enough of a hint that financing this was a stupid gamble.
The last film of theirs that made a profit was The Matrix Revolutions (2003) and that was due to the overseas market. Speed Racer did not even make its budget and Cloud Atlas which cost $100 mil, made 130 mil worldwide. Jupiter Ascending cost $176 mil and made $183 mil. I wonder who's going to be the next sucker to give the Wachowski siblings a buttload of money so they can indulge in their self-importance.
Old 10-19-15, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
The last film of theirs that made a profit was The Matrix Revolutions (2003) and that was due to the overseas market. Speed Racer did not even make its budget and Cloud Atlas which cost $100 mil, made 130 mil worldwide. Jupiter Ascending cost $176 mil and made $183 mil. I wonder who's going to be the next sucker to give the Wachowski siblings a buttload of money so they can indulge in their self-importance.
Sense8 just got a second season, so the answer is Netflix.