Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When did Jack Nicholson develop his schtick?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

When did Jack Nicholson develop his schtick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: When did Jack Nicholson develop his schtick?

Yeah...I really like Nicholson in The Shining.
Old 03-26-12, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
What did Stephen King say about Jack Nicholson's performance in The Shining? That's gotta be one of the best performances in a film.
Not the performance so much as the choice of Nicholson. The trademark Nicholson performance began with Cuckoo's Nest. Even though he made great films prior, the popularity and success of Cuckoo's Nest is what made him a household name and after that audiences came to expect McMurphy in a Jack Nicholson performance. At the time audiences knew exactly how Nicholson was going to be in The Shining. And he was exactly as expected. No suprise there. That was King's beef. Jack Torrence was supposed to be a normal family guy, the last person you expect to turn psycho. King's top choice was Ron Howard.
Old 03-26-12, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never.

I never understood these "he's playing himself" threads for any actor. All actors have different techniques and not all are the same.
Old 03-26-12, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Nicholson's schtick was first visible in LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1960).

Old 03-26-12, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Pacino managed to dial it down for The Insider, no?
Old 03-26-12, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Pacino managed to dial it down for The Insider, no?
He did, and even though he was still "showy" in DONNIE BRASCO, I think think that's his best performance outside Michael Corleone.

Once again...back to Jack.
Old 03-26-12, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Not the performance so much as the choice of Nicholson. The trademark Nicholson performance began with Cuckoo's Nest. Even though he made great films prior, the popularity and success of Cuckoo's Nest is what made him a household name and after that audiences came to expect McMurphy in a Jack Nicholson performance. At the time audiences knew exactly how Nicholson was going to be in The Shining. And he was exactly as expected. No suprise there. That was King's beef. Jack Torrence was supposed to be a normal family guy, the last person you expect to turn psycho. King's top choice was Ron Howard.
I love the film, but I would have liked either a different actor, or Nicholson toning it down in the beginning scenes. I found him to be a little off kilter right from the start...it really would have made his later descent into madness that much scarier and impactful.
Old 03-26-12, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I found him to be a little off kilter right from the start...it really would have made his later descent into madness that much scarier and impactful.
Respectfully disagree. The fact that he was a little off kilter (prior anger issues with Danny, for example) helped sell his increased susceptibility to the madness as compared to Wendy. Also, it fits better with the denouement.
Old 03-26-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Seems to me like he turned it into high gear for Batman.
That's probably where he just stopped caring. He made an all time record amount of money off that film IIRC, a huge outright salary, and a relatively huge part of the back end including merchandizing and all. Which, on that film, turned out to be one of the most merchandized films since Star Wars.

He was set for life after that. I saw him say in an interview back then, when he was questioned about that massive financial gain off the film, that after that film he could buy the best weed and smoke all he wanted, and that meant he was rich. He was pretty much a caricature in part after part after that. I can't take even 5 minutes of his schtick in films like 'A Few Good Men' and other so-called 'acting' performances he did.

Except, in his Oscar nominated performance in 'Ironweed', as already noted, where he had the likes of Streep to keep up with, and under the skilled direction of Alexander Payne in 'About Schmidt', as already noted, which was cited by many critics and film fans as the first actual acting Jack had done in decades.
Old 03-26-12, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by conscience

I never understood these "he's playing himself" threads for any actor. All actors have different techniques and not all are the same.
Have you ever seen a Will Smith movie?
Old 03-26-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Have you ever seen a Will Smith movie?
Yes.
Old 03-26-12, 12:48 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I agree with this. It seems to have been created on Cuckoo's Nest--you can see the begining of it. Over the next few years he did some films that didn't feature his schtick, but after The Shining it's pretty much all he did. AND he seems to employe the schtick all the time. I've seen interviews and public appearances where he behaves the same way. I think he's just stoned all the time.
Old 03-26-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order!"

Pacino did do a low key performance in Jack and Jill last year.
Old 03-26-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Pacino was great in You Don't Know Jack. It really depends on the material he's given.
Old 03-26-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Well technically he did have that one scene in Chinatown where tells the joke at the office. That's straight whacky Jack if anything.
Old 03-26-12, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Pacino was WAY over the top in Scent of a Woman, even though he won the Oscar.
That is exactly where it started for Pacino.
Old 03-27-12, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Or maybe he just had so much fun with Dick Tracy that he decided to carry some of it over to other performances.
Old 03-27-12, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say his work in Sea of Love is when he started that whole schtick.
Old 03-27-12, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Hoffa and The Pledge. He should have gotten an Oscar noms for both of them.

I haven' seen "Hoffa" but he gave an excellent performance in "The Pledge". Reminded me he could actually act and not rely on his schtick.
Old 03-27-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by conscience
Never.

They aren't playing themselves. But there are actors like John Wayne figure out that they can do one thing extraordinarily well, and never stray very far from that. Other actors learn that their movies make good money if they do one trick, so they do that trick over and over again until they wear out their welcome. A lot of comic actors, action heroes, and sex bombs fall in the second category.

Jack Nicholson seems to be in the first category. He does it very well, audiences buy tickets, and everyone is happy.
Old 03-27-12, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

King's top choice was Ron Howard.
I've always heard King wanted Michael Moriarty. Howard would have been too young.
Old 03-27-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We got to see what King always wanted with that godawful TV movie. Thank goodness that Kubrick didn't listen to him.
Old 03-27-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
We got to see what King always wanted with that godawful TV movie. Thank goodness that Kubrick didn't listen to him.
+1

I like the book and all, but I don't really care what King wanted for the movie. The film stands on its own and works very well with Nicholson.
Old 03-27-12, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Well technically he did have that one scene in Chinatown where tells the joke at the office. That's straight whacky Jack if anything.
Just the other day, I was watching the interviews on the DVD of Rosemary's Baby, and Polanski mentioned that Jack was considered for the role of the husband, but he thought Jack looked too sinister. The viewer needed to be unsure if Rosemary's husband could be trusted. It's kind of interesting that Stephen King ended up having a similar problem with Jack being cast in The Shining.
Old 03-27-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
Just the other day, I was watching the interviews on the DVD of Rosemary's Baby, and Polanski mentioned that Jack was considered for the role of the husband, but he thought Jack looked too sinister. The viewer needed to be unsure if Rosemary's husband could be trusted. It's kind of interesting that Stephen King ended up having a similar problem with Jack being cast in The Shining.
It's the eyebrows!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.