Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hercules (2014, Ratner) S: Dwayne Johnson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hercules (2014, Ratner) S: Dwayne Johnson

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Hercules (2014, Ratner) S: Dwayne Johnson

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I think he got the most money out of all the actors too. Think I heard that somewhere.
No, RDJ did.
Old 07-23-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I think he got the most money out of all the actors too. Think I heard that somewhere.
The Rock was at #23.
Old 07-23-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
If anybody cares, Kevin Sorbo was pissed that he wasn't asked to do a cameo.
I'm actually kinda pissed too. It would of been fun to see him in this for a cameo.
Old 07-25-14, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Wow NOBODY is talking about this movie. I was checking out movies to see tonight and was shocked to find that this is opening tonight. The Rock should probably stick too sure thing franchises like Fast & The Furious and G.I Joe, where if they fail its not his fault and if they're successful he's seen as a bankable movie star. I don't know how so many studios fail to realize that if the Rock isn't part of an established franchise or part of an ensemble, he can't open a big starring vehicle on his own. He never has.

Then again thats not entirely on him, since not many actors can open a starring vehicle movie these days. But still, I forsee a grave future for this Hercules flick.
Old 07-25-14, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The early reviews actually seem somewhat positive on RT.
Old 07-25-14, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

It is disappointing that The Rock's on the set photos were far more interesting than the final marketing material... it looks like a fun movie...but I really hoped for more from this one...
Old 07-25-14, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We're seeing Herc this weekend instead of Lucy. Sounds like Lucy is a loser.
Old 07-25-14, 09:46 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PxYQQoYfMtQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-25-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
We're seeing Herc this weekend instead of Lucy. Sounds like Lucy is a loser.
They sound to be about even based on reviews.
Old 07-25-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

My kid wants to see this so I am thinking about taking him this weekend. Is the 3D a conversion or was it filmed in 3D?
Old 07-25-14, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PxYQQoYfMtQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-26-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

25-30 Million this weekend. That is about 10 mil more than I thought it would make. The Rocks drawing power seems to be growing.
Old 07-26-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
25-30 Million this weekend. That is about 10 mil more than I thought it would make. The Rocks drawing power seems to be growing.
I was scared for Rock that this movie was going to bomb. It's not setting the world on fire, but at least Herc isn't going to be a laughing stock. I do wonder when, if ever, Rock is going to get his own from the ground up Franchise to run with. He seems so primed for that.
Old 07-26-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Not sure about franchise but San Andreas is his next big starring role next year, plus he's got a few new shows coming and a new book, so he's on the way up for sure. Check out the THR cover story on him where he talks about getting new representation after Tooth Fairy and turned his career around:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...johnson-712689
Old 07-26-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Saw it this afternoon. Not great, but more entertaining than Lucy and a lot more fun. Can't deny Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's matinee idol screen presence. Glad this isn't a total loss and will most likely help his drawing power. Trust me, people who did go, went because of him .
Old 07-26-14, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this earlier tonight and I enjoyed it a great deal. I had NO clue this was based on any sort of comic book. I wont even say a single thing withing tagging it since it would all be huge spoilers...

Spoiler:
I enjoyed it a lot, it was a perfectly fine mindless summer popcorn action flick. However, I have a word of warning - the trailer for it is one of the most deceptive trailers of all time. In the trailers that you have seen, it shows all of these great mythical beasts that Hercules takes on and fights as part of his twelve labors. The entire trailer is based on those scenes and other magical and mythical events from the Hercules mythology. In the actual flick, all of that is in the first few minutes and moments of the movie. His nephew is telling bad guys the "legend" of Hercules to intimidate them. In the movie Hercules isn't any sort of magical figure, he isn't the son of Zeus. He is just a guy with a team of warriors that assists him to create the image of his myth and legend. None of the mythical creatures actually exists in this world, none of them.

The heart of the movie is Hercules, the man, taking on other armies and other warriors, nothing mystical or anything. The trailer totally misrepresents what the movie is about in every single way. Not not only in terms of plot, but they blatantly added special effects to shots in the trailer that aren't in the film. The glowing eyes of the enemies to make them look supernatural, not in the film. The glowing flame whip in the trailer, a normal non-glowing whip in the film.

Now if you know the source material you already know this, but I'm going to assume this is going to be a shock to most people. Again, I really enjoyed the movie once it was revealed and I "accepted" what it was actually about, but it was a pretty big shock and a twist to me.

I would absolutely go see a sequel to this flick too. It's also the first movie of The Rock where he didn't totally take me out of it. Even when I have liked some of his other movies I usually ONLY see him as the wrestler, but in this one I actually bought him as something totally different for most of the movie.

Oh, and I really liked the 3D in this one. There were a number of great pop out moments, and a lot of scenes with some nice depth.
Old 07-27-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
I saw this earlier tonight and I enjoyed it a great deal. I had NO clue this was based on any sort of comic book. I wont even say a single thing withing tagging it since it would all be huge spoilers...

Spoiler:
I enjoyed it a lot, it was a perfectly fine mindless summer popcorn action flick. However, I have a word of warning - the trailer for it is one of the most deceptive trailers of all time. In the trailers that you have seen, it shows all of these great mythical beasts that Hercules takes on and fights as part of his twelve labors. The entire trailer is based on those scenes and other magical and mythical events from the Hercules mythology. In the actual flick, all of that is in the first few minutes and moments of the movie. His nephew is telling bad guys the "legend" of Hercules to intimidate them. In the movie Hercules isn't any sort of magical figure, he isn't the son of Zeus. He is just a guy with a team of warriors that assists him to create the image of his myth and legend. None of the mythical creatures actually exists in this world, none of them.

The heart of the movie is Hercules, the man, taking on other armies and other warriors, nothing mystical or anything. The trailer totally misrepresents what the movie is about in every single way. Not not only in terms of plot, but they blatantly added special effects to shots in the trailer that aren't in the film. The glowing eyes of the enemies to make them look supernatural, not in the film. The glowing flame whip in the trailer, a normal non-glowing whip in the film.

Now if you know the source material you already know this, but I'm going to assume this is going to be a shock to most people. Again, I really enjoyed the movie once it was revealed and I "accepted" what it was actually about, but it was a pretty big shock and a twist to me.

I would absolutely go see a sequel to this flick too. It's also the first movie of The Rock where he didn't totally take me out of it. Even when I have liked some of his other movies I usually ONLY see him as the wrestler, but in this one I actually bought him as something totally different for most of the movie.

Oh, and I really liked the 3D in this one. There were a number of great pop out moments, and a lot of scenes with some nice depth.
Just got back from seeing this in IMAX 3D with my 10 year old son. We both really enjoyed. Trust me, I was very surprised and was not expecting much. This movie is a lot of fun and not what I was expecting.

In regards to your spoilers,
Spoiler:
I totally agree with the above. The trailer is so misleading it is ridiculous. Luckily I really enjoyed this "grounded" story of Hercules instead of it just being another Clash Of The Titans rehash. This twist is what really made the movie for me.

I will say that while the action/battle sequences are enjoyable, if you have seen Braveheart and Gladiator, then you will see nothing new here. That was the only drawback that I had. But my kid loved it. He hasn't seen those movies so everything was new to him. There is little bloodshed but the battles are pretty darn violent for a PG-13 movie. This could have been a really good R rated movie but I get why they made it PG-13.

The Rock was decent in this. He still isn't a good actor but this role for him reminded me of Arnold in Conan The Barbarian. Not the greatest actors but both of them have a certain presence.

And I also agree that a sequel for this movie would be cool. They left it open and his band of companions were interesting and entertaining without being obnoxious or idiotic (which reminded me of Thor's group of companions).
Spoiler:
Unfortunately, the most interesting of the group bites it which would be a little disappointing with him missing from a potential sequel.

My rating: an entertaining **** out of ***** stars.

I may be a little generous with my rating but I guess the surprise enjoyment of it put me in a good mood.
Old 07-27-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was also shocked at the...

Spoiler:
f-bomb

I just, I dunno, I didn't expect it and I laughed out loud at it, haha.
Old 07-28-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

4 of us went to see the movie and we all had a great time.

My wife 100% loved it. She said we need to buy it when it comes out on BR, I think she is in love with The Rock.
Old 07-28-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn it, should have seen this instead of Lucy. Heard good things from another friend as well that it's just an overall fun movie.
Old 07-28-14, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L

Spoiler:

Wow. That sounds infinitely more interesting than what the trailers made it seem.
Old 07-28-14, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I know it's wrong to prejudge anything, but I must admit that with Ratner and the Rock, it's not hard to guess what kind of film this'll be. I'll just get the Blu Ray, since that's probably where this kind of thing will be most naturally at home.
Old 07-28-14, 08:24 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

Saw a matinee with my wife and a few friends. In short, we loved it for what it was, a big-summerflick.

I liked...
Spoiler:
  • The human element of the story
  • Tydeus... he was the most interesting of the warriors
  • The effects that brought the mythological things to reality (i.e. the centaurs actually being horsemen on the hill in the sunset, the Hydra being the helmets of the enemy, and Cerebus being the three wolves, etc.)
  • Amphiaraus (Ian McShane) as the narrator

Things I hated...
Spoiler:
  • that f-bomb that dropped out of nowhere
  • Joseph Fiennes as King Eurystheus ... he was too, what's the word... Voldemorty?
  • the notch on the lion-headed shields kept switching from the left to the right and back as they cut from scene to scene during the battle with Rhesus (continuity errors are my biggest pet-peeve)
  • The death of Tydeus, the most interesting of the warriors
  • The pour green-screen effects during the scene when the barbarian was charging at Lord Cotys and was plowed over by the chariot

... anyways, I did enjoy the movie as a whole and was pleasantly surprised when the movie finally found it's heart with about 20 minutes left.

I won't be getting the BD when it comes out, but it was worth the $6 to see once.

I'll give it stars.
Old 10-26-14, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw this tonight and am sort of glad I didn't see the PG-13 cut, because this version had plenty of brutal hits, some blood, and a wee bit of profanity. It was a lot of fun and kudos to the marketing department and to whoever cut
Spoiler:
the trailer, because they was foolin' y'all! It was one big stinking flourish, that actually worked.
I liked that.

I liked Hercules' band of misfit warriors, too. It was a very fun flick.
Old 12-04-14, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Well, that was bad, but could have been worse. The first thing that stood out was how terrible the CGI was for a big budget movie. Can't the studio afford to hire WETA or something?

Dialogue and story were also C grade at best. Only good things I can say is Johnson makes a good Hercules, the warrior chick was pretty cute (but a rip off of Legolas. Some of her moves were ripped straight from the LOTR trilogy). It was also cool seeing Rufus Sewell, Ian McShane, and Joseph Fiennes...like all those actors.

Still, a decent cast and ok action scenes can't overcome awful CGI and an amateur script.