Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Good Day To Die Hard

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Good Day To Die Hard

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: A Good Day To Die Hard

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
If it's truly as bad as the critics are saying than that's a damn shame. Making a winning Die Hard movie seems like one of the easiest movies to make. Find a story with terrorists coming up with a bait-and-switch robbery, throw in a wisecracking McClane, add some blood, toss in a few f-bombs among McClane's one-liners and you've succeeded. Really how hard is that?
Well, considering they've only really done a great job of it once out of four times.....pretty hard I guess.
Old 02-13-13, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Die Hard 2 is almost as good as the original, and better than any of the Die Hard movies since.

They've declined steadily, but only in small increments. I'd rate them like this...

Die Hard - 5/5
Die Hard 2 - 4.5/5
Die Hard With A Vengeance - 4.25/5
Live Freee or Die Hard - 4/5

I'm a sucker for John McClane. They've all been well made action movies with just enough suspense to be effective, but it's the character of John McClane that elevates these movies above the average action movie.

If they do make a Die Hard 6 I really do think they should go back and have him trapped in a building with the bad guys. Smaller scale, more suspense, more psychological stuff and a bad guy who isn't what he seems to be.

Other than that there probably wouldn't be much point to doing a 6th Die Hard movie.
Old 02-13-13, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just finished the marathon. An amazing experience. About 30 people who stayed for the whole thing.

As far as the new one goes, its the 'worst' of the 5. It never really feels like a Die Hard movie except for John being in the wrong place again; he constantly says hes on vacation. Jack constantly calls him John, instead of Dad, to make sure we know their relationship is strained.

It feels like something was missing. You are just dropped right into the story. It feels over before it really gets started. Several scenes from the trailer were not in the movie, such as the cabby asking are you a cop, and the full strip, off the bike.

But its still John McClane. Hopefully a 6th one brings it all together and closes the series

Last edited by stingermck; 02-13-13 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-13-13, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Several scenes from the trailer were not in the movie such as the full strip off the bike.
And this just got pushed to dvd.
Old 02-13-13, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Yeah, I gave away my ticket for the 10pm showing to a friend. Rental. And now they cut the full strip scene from the bike? WTF?
Old 02-14-13, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

But its still John McClane.
...and John McClane kicks ass!
Old 02-14-13, 01:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

sure the movie is seriously flawed but I for one couldn't stand 'Live Free or Die Hard' - this at a mere 98 minutes and a juggernaut Dolby Atmos mix made up for all the film's flaws - not great by a long shot, but if you want to see a lot of shit blowing up/shot at, dozens of cars getting smashed it might be up your alley. The plot is waifer thin, plot holes abound, Bruce Willis shambles through his role just for the paycheck, some truly corny dialogue occurs (...and more), this film feels like it's the final nail in the coffin for this franchise.
Old 02-14-13, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Die Hard
  2. Die Hard with a Vengeance
  3. Live Free or Die Hard
  4. Die Hard 2
  5. A Good Day to Die Hard
A Good Day to Die Hard takes a few plays from the playbook that crafted Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. Make a short film that's pretty much action packed for most of its running time. However, they forgot such plays like to make a compelling story or to actually make the action be genuinely exciting and thrilling.

For such a short film that consists of mostly nothing but set pieces and loud noises, I was bored. By time the film gets to it's last set piece I was both glad that the film was near the end, but also wanted something more as the film's marketing materials have shown all but one or two of the money shots.

Meh.

Here's a great idea for Die Hard 6, maybe they can hire a director and writer who don't suck 20th Century Fox's cock for a living.
Old 02-14-13, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the new one goes, its the 'worst' of the 5. It never really feels like a Die Hard movie except for John being in the wrong place again; he constantly says hes on vacation. Jack constantly calls him John, instead of Dad, to make sure we know their relationship is strained.

It feels like something was missing. You are just dropped right into the story. It feels over before it really gets started. Several scenes from the trailer were not in the movie, such as the cabby asking are you a cop, and the full strip, off the bike.

But its still John McClane. Hopefully a 6th one brings it all together and closes the series
I'm with ya stinger. I thought it was fairly entertaining, the short runtime helped here since they had absolutely no story or even semi interesting villains. Just a loose thing going on to go from action scene to action scene, and cardboard cutouts to go against the McClane's. Jai Courtney did a good job, definitely liked him more here than I did in Jack Reacher.

I actually wish they went more into ridiculous territory with the action, especially after the last movie (which again, I thought was a great action movie). They seemed to scale it back a bit though. I had a good time, but yea, worst of the five.
Old 02-14-13, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

11% now. That's too bad. I'll probably see it this weekend anyway.
Old 02-14-13, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

This can't even get up to Taken 2's rotten level, and that's pretty bad. I tried the "it's just a mindless action movie" approach to the Taken sequel when I saw it, but I didn't know it was going to be that mindless, as in totally devoid of any common sense.

My decision: wait until Fox releases the six disc BR set (if we get the sixth one)and watch this one eventually. My dilemma: if the sixth one is as bad as this one seems, I might be kicking my self for not getting the set they just made. Anyone happen to have insight on the sixth installments quality at this time?
Old 02-14-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

This review sums it up

The most unbelievable scene in the original Die Hard is the one where John McClane avoids an explosion by jumping off of the roof of Nakatomi Plaza, swinging down on a fire hose to a window below him. That's it. McClane even has to shoot the window open because it didn't break when he slammed into it. This is reasonably realistic: skyscraper windows are not supposed to shatter when objects make contact with them. On the spectrum of "crazy shit that happens to action movie characters," this is pretty far down the list.

And even though it's implausible that, in real life, McClane would survive, we in the audience get the sense that McClane knows this, too. We see the anguish on his face, because he knows that the chances of this working are low. For such a low-stakes (in action-movie terms, at least) endeavor, it's extremely riveting. We can still ask ourselves, What would I do in this situation? The answer, again, is "die." But we like John McClane because he didn't die, even though he was terrified of dying.

Now, in A Good Day to Die Hard, there's a scene about 45 minutes into the movie in which McClane (along with his son, played by Jai Courtney, whom I did enjoy in this role) finds himself, once again, in a high-rise building. A helicopter is firing bullets into the room that the McClanes are in, so McClane and his son run at top speed toward the windows, break through, and jump into infinity. The two then crash though scaffolding at a high rate of speed (scaffolding that it's hard to believe they were aware existed), eventually falling into a chute of some kind and then landing safely on the ground without harm. McClane didn't think twice about this decision; there was no anguish at the thought of dying. He didn't even bother looking for a fire hose to swing from.

The man who jumped out of that window had no fear of dying because he knew that there was no way that he could possibly be killed. Watching this was no different than watching a Super Dave Osborne sketch: I'm sure he's going to complain, but he'll be fine. And this is only one of many instances that McClane defies death in ways that make jumping off a building with a fire hose, or running across broken glass while barefoot, look easy. (Let me repeat that for effect: the original movie made running across glass ... suspenseful!)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-r...b_2682441.html
Old 02-14-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

A one-star review from the New York Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...551GCQAsZfDK6L
Old 02-14-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Actually, there's just one more unbelievable moment in the original: John McClane falling down the chute and catching a ledge by his fingertips at high speed. But that's it.
Old 02-14-13, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Actually, there's just one more unbelievable moment in the original: John McClane falling down the chute and catching a ledge by his fingertips at high speed. But that's it.
Also that a black limo driver and a white cop would get along so well in the 80s.
Old 02-14-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Also that a black limo driver and a white cop would get along so well in the 80s.
The most unbelievable moment for me in the original Die Hard was that someone had the ingredients of a twinky memorized.
Old 02-14-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
A one-star review from the New York Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...551GCQAsZfDK6L
Well that explains why it's getting a Feb release.
Old 02-14-13, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

If anyone cares, I made a reviews thread.
Old 02-14-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
If they do make a Die Hard 6 I really do think they should go back and have him trapped in a building with the bad guys. Smaller scale, more suspense, more psychological stuff and a bad guy who isn't what he seems to be.
Maybe terrorists will take over his retirement community.
Old 02-14-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Maybe terrorists will take over his retirement community.
I like that idea better than the Russian plot in this latest entry. It reminds me of Bubbahotep.
Old 02-15-13, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they could go with current news terrorists for number dh 6.
Old 02-15-13, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I really want to start a poll - Worst 5th entry in a franchise: Rocky V, Star Trek V, or A Good Day To Die Hard?