Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD (2012) (dir. Scafaria) (Carell, Knightley)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD (2012) (dir. Scafaria) (Carell, Knightley)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts
Re: SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD (2012) (dir. Scafaria) (Carell, Knightl

After re-checking the IMDB page, I think the first actor listed above is what Jamie Rich was referring to when he said "There is even a secret cameo buried deep in the film that you won't find mentioned on IMDB; nor will you find it mentioned here. "
While he is listed on the Full Cast & Crew page, he's not on the movie's Main page.

For a second I thought I'd missed someone (well, actually someone else since I had already somehow missed
Spoiler:
William Peterson as the trucker. I knew he looked somewhat familiar, but didn't place it at the time. Unforgivable, as I used to watch CSI religiously for the first few seasons
. He's also not listed on the main IMDB page.
Old 06-25-12, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD (2012) (dir. Scafaria) (Carell, Knightl

Originally Posted by bluetoast
However the latter person was in the trailers.
so I guess the cameo must have been
Spoiler:
Martin Sheen
, eventhough he's listed on IMDB, and was even listed on the theater chain's website.
Old 06-25-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also saw this movie on a whim and thought it was just great and hit all of the right notes. A good mix of comedy and sadness, with an interesting assortment of characters that didn't try TOO hard to be weird. Good times. The only complaint I had is that some of the musical choices were just a bit too obvious, but that's a small complaint that didn't get in the way of enjoying the movie.

This movie was never going to be a big hit, but not sure why Focus thought the heat of the summer would be a good time to drop this one. I watch tons of tv and the only ad I ever saw for it was before another movie I saw last week.
Old 06-26-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I've been reading on the web, looks like Criswell dropped the ball. Again. Remember, this is the same guy who predicted the destruction of Denver in 1989.
Old 06-26-12, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....Denver. Why only Denver?
Old 06-27-12, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw it today. Really the only nitpick I have is why would anyone think a Cessna could get to the UK from the US.
Old 06-28-12, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved it. However, I was caught off guard by two moments that were in the shooting script, but not present in the final cut of the film.

Spoiler:
In what would've been the first ten minutes of the film, Dodge goes to visit his mother in a nursing home. She's suffering from Alzheimer's so she's unaware of the chaos that surrounds her. The moment is brief, but it pays off later in the film. When Dodge discovers his wife was cheating on him, he goes back to the nursing home to be with the only person who he still loves: his mother. When he arrives, he discovers her dead body as all of the patients have been murdered by the medical staff in a murder-suicide.

The scene was shot with Melinda Dillon playing Dodge's mom.

There's another moment after Dodge sends Penny off with his father. As he's driving back to his apartment, he shoves Sorry out of his car because he wants nothing else to remind him of Penny. As he drives away, Sorry begins to chase the car. Dodge begins to cry, but pulls over and begins to search for Sorry. Ultimately, he finds Sorry and the rest of the film progresses as it does in the final cut.

I thought those two moments added a lot more gravitas, but considering how dark they were, I wonder if they were more cut due to test audiences and/or studio interference.

There were other pieces missing from the shooting script to the final cut, but most cuts were made for the better.
Old 06-28-12, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, those scenes make the movie especially dark.
Old 06-28-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats
Yeah, those scenes make the movie especially dark.
Which I'm okay with having been included in the final cut.

Spoiler:
The film ends with both leads dying. As a filmmaker, you can take the film to the dark places.

I'm okay with crying like a baby for the film's final ten minutes if it would've progressed in that direction. Hell, Scafaria did a fantastic job during the scene where Dodge puts Penny on the airplane. I'm glad they removed the moment where Dodge tells Penny of the plane situation and there's only one seat on the plane for her. It makes the final scene all that more dramatic.
Old 10-20-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 286 Likes on 182 Posts

Watched it this morning. I enjoyed it. My only real complaint is Kiera Knightley. I don't normally have a problem with her. Maybe it was her British accent, her at times contrived dialogue, her facial expressions...I don't know, I think that character was miscast. I think the film would have been better with a different actress in that role, maybe even someone a little closer to Dodge's age too.

I did like the story, Steve Carell was great.

Worth checking out.

Grade: B
Old 01-26-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Steve Carell's best performance, by far.
Old 01-28-13, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the movie the day before opening night at Montclair State in NJ, where the director (and alumni) Lorene Scafaria was in attendance and did a Q&A afterwards.

I thought the movie was a little awkward in tone, but IMO that's half the result of the marketing campaign. I expected a comedy, and I got a comedy to start out with, so I wasn't expecting the sadder parts. This would probably benefit from another viewing now that I know what the movie is.

What impressed me the most was that it stuck to it's guns regarding the end of the world. When I saw the trailer and the tone, I was sure this would pull a punch and the asteroid would miss the earth at the last moment for a happy ending. I was so positive that I'd pre-emptively hated the movie. So it's got my respect.
Old 01-28-13, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattflix
What impressed me the most was that it stuck to it's guns regarding the end of the world. When I saw the trailer and the tone, I was sure this would pull a punch and the asteroid would miss the earth at the last moment for a happy ending. I was so positive that I'd pre-emptively hated the movie. So it's got my respect.
These types of movies are a tough sell with average crowds. I totally loved it, but afterwards was totally bummed that they die. So on the one hand, I was impressed they stuck to their guns and applaud them for it. But on the other, I find it hard to recommend since it's so depressing.
Old 01-28-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
These types of movies are a tough sell with average crowds. I totally loved it, but afterwards was totally bummed that they die. So on the one hand, I was impressed they stuck to their guns and applaud them for it. But on the other, I find it hard to recommend since it's so depressing.
I think the beginning and middle parts of the film neutralized the more depressing angles toward the end.

This and Safety Not Guaranteed were on my top 10 of last year. They make a great double-header.
Old 01-28-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good soundtrack too
Old 02-15-13, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Stumbled across this at the video store tonight and decided to give it a spin given today's events.

I was expecting a comedy(grabbed it for my wife and I's Valentine viewing ) so I was surprised at the dark tone of the film. However that didn't affect my enjoyment in the slightest. Fantastic film all around. Carell was amazing but Knightly blew me away. Probably one of my favorite films of recent memory.

I'm so glad they pulled no punches at the end of the film. The film would have collapsed under it's own weight and would have been an abject failure had they not gone all the way with it.

Originally Posted by resinrats
Saw it today. Really the only nitpick I have is why would anyone think a Cessna could get to the UK from the US.
I thought that was weird too but did they ever say her parents were in England? I think that's a viewer assumption given her accent. Then again with two weeks Penny could have driven pretty much anywhere that Cessna could have flown to.
Old 02-23-13, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Watched it tonight and was pleased. I too enjoyed the dark tone it had. The ending was great. I actually felt a little anxious as it played out.

As for Penny's parents ... her friend in the 'bunker house' told her he talked to her father the other day and asked if she wanted to call them and said ... "What time is it across the pond, 1600 Hundred" ?
Old 03-31-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Wow. I just watched this movie yesterday, and thought I'd be reviving an old thread to ask a trivial question, but I guess it's not so trivial after all.

I was really confused by the logistics of that plane ride. As already pointed out, that plane was supposed to take her to England. ???
Also, I read a review that said he movie was set on the East Coast. Pretty obviously this was California, right?

And Last Night was much better.
Old 05-28-13, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
This and Safety Not Guaranteed were on my top 10 of last year. They make a great double-header.
That was actually my double-header yesterday. Totally random picks that paired up exceptionally well. I liked this one quite a bit also. The party scene near the beginning was hilarious.

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Wow. I just watched this movie yesterday, and thought I'd be reviving an old thread to ask a trivial question, but I guess it's not so trivial after all.

I was really confused by the logistics of that plane ride. As already pointed out, that plane was supposed to take her to England. ???
Also, I read a review that said he movie was set on the East Coast. Pretty obviously this was California, right?

And Last Night was much better.
The movie took place in New Jersey. There were mentions/sightings of Trenton, Camden and Somerset.
Old 06-02-13, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Finally saw this tonight for the first time (Netflix). What a terrific little film. Yeah, it had just enough moments of laughter here and there to break up the bleak tone. And a couple of those moments were truly funny. I was especially impressed by the acting. Knightly was great (as usual). But Carell really really impressed me though. His best work yet. The last 15 minutes of the movie were heartbreaking.
Old 07-04-13, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This was a great movie, just watched it. I had expected more comedy too, but was totally fine with what the movie ended up being. At first, when Knightley showed up as the female lead, I felt it was likely going to be bad casting. But she was really great.

Part of me though Carrell was lying to her about knowing someone who had a plane. I figured he just really wanted some female company because he's been so lonely, and was ashamed that he lied to her and didn't know how to break it to her. So I was a bit surprised to see his dad was a pilot.

Great flick.
Old 07-05-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

This was ok... but it was a poor man's "Last Night" (1998). Much better film.
Old 07-06-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

what do you have against poor people?
Old 07-06-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
what do you have against poor people?
Yeah, what's wrong with us?
Old 07-07-13, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DVRed this from one of the recent HBO free previews and thought it was really good. Very depressing, but very well acted

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.