DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD (2012) (dir. Scafaria) (Carell, Knightley) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/598855-seeking-friend-end-world-2012-dir-scafaria-carell-knightley.html)

riotinmyskull 02-10-12 06:35 AM

SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD (2012) (dir. Scafaria) (Carell, Knightley)

http://i44.tinypic.com/1znq3pu.jpg

<div><iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.html#shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fmovies.yahoo.com%2Fmovie%2Fseeking-a-friend-for-the-end-of-the-world%2Ftrailers%2Fseeking-a-friend-at-the-end-of-the-world-theatrical-trailer-28244110.html&startScreenCarouselUI=hide&vid=28244110&browseCarouselUI=hide&repeat=0"></iframe></div>

As an asteroid nears Earth, a man finds himself alone after his wife leaves in a panic. He decides to take a road trip to reunite with his high school sweetheart. Accompanying him is a neighbor who inadvertently puts a wrench in his plan.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307068/

Dr Mabuse 02-10-12 09:01 AM

Re: SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD (2012) (dir. Scafaria) (Carell, Knightl

I see some producer(s) decided to try and remake the concept of 'Last Night' as a more commercial romcom film and make money off the concept.

I'll just watch 'Last Night' again, I don't have much in the way of hope for this.

TheySentYou 02-10-12 12:43 PM

Re: SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD (2012) (dir. Scafaria) (Carell, Knightl

this looks badass

TheySentYou 02-10-12 01:23 PM

i don't really see the connection between this and 'Last Night' aside from Kiera Knightley?

Superboy 02-10-12 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse (Post 11110200)
I see some producer(s) decided to try and remake the concept of 'Last Night' as a more commercial romcom film and make money off the concept.

I'll just watch 'Last Night' again, I don't have much in the way of hope for this.

No one watches Canadian movies!

Superboy 02-10-12 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheySentYou (Post 11110605)
i don't really see the connection between this and 'Last Night' aside from Kiera Knightley?

:lol:

he was talking about this movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0156729/

Pretty much the same premise only less zany indie comedy and more realistic examination of the human condition without going over the top.

PopcornTreeCt 02-10-12 03:08 PM

The first comment on Youtube sums it up best: "I have no inside info, but I bet the asteroid misses earth because of some comical miscalculation. But I wonder if the girl he's really after ends up being the one right beside him the whole time but he doesnt realize it until the very end. I wonder."

Preterite 02-10-12 03:12 PM

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/criswell.gif
The Earth is not destroyed at the end.

Udpint 02-11-12 01:52 AM

Spoiler:

Having read the script I can inform you that the above clever predictions are completely wrong.

Udpint 02-11-12 02:04 AM

I see some producer(s) decided to try and remake the concept of 'Last Night'

The concept of an apocalyptic film wasn't exactly invented by Last Night.

and make money off the concept.
Whereas the producers of Last Night are all registered charities.

Dr Mabuse 02-11-12 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Udpint (Post 11111331)
The concept of an apocalyptic film wasn't exactly invented by Last Night.

Really? Thanks for the info!

Get back to me when you've seen 'Last Night'. Then you'll understand my point, and also see all the plot points of 'Last Night' covered in the trailer for this film. Only in a more commercial romcom fashion with big stars!

Solid Snake 02-11-12 10:04 AM

I'll see it.

RichC2 02-11-12 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse (Post 11111441)
Really? Thanks for the info!

Get back to me when you've seen 'Last Night'. Then you'll understand my point, and also see all the plot points of 'Last Night' covered in the trailer for this film. Only in a more commercial romcom fashion with big stars!

So they turned Last Night into an entertaining movie people would actually want to see, got it (kidding of course, Last Night was decent).

It's just timing, year 2000 was supposed to ring in the end of the world, as is 2012. I never understood the venomous hate for similar stories in movies, or the "I'll just watch the (similar concept movie from 10 years ago) instead!" comments. It's almost as bad as "I saw it subtitled 2 years ago and this one won't be nearly as good!".

Dr Mabuse 02-11-12 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 11111493)
So they turned Last Night into an entertaining movie people would actually want to see, got it (kidding of course, Last Night was decent).

Um... yeah, with Holmesian detective skills, you decoded my secret meaning. ;)

RichC2 02-11-12 11:01 AM

Haha yeah, I have a tendency to rephrase things instead of making a point, old habits die hard.

Udpint 02-11-12 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse (Post 11111441)
Get back to me when you've seen 'Last Night'. Then you'll understand my point, and also see all the plot points of 'Last Night' covered in the trailer for this film.

But most of the plot points of "Seeking a Friend..." are not touched upon at all in the trailer. You only really get the basic premise. Which, to be fair, it does share with other end-of-the-world movies.

And no, I haven't seen Last Night. But if the synopsis I've read is correct it takes place during six hours in Toronto. Whereas the story in SaF lasts three weeks and includes extensive travelling. I don't see how you'd be able to map the plot points of one of them to the other. Although I'm sure similar themes will be touched upon in places.

Only in a more commercial romcom fashion with big stars!
How do you cover a plot point in a more commercial fashion? What does that mean?
If the movie performs badly at the box office would that mean it wasn't commercial after all?

resinrats 02-11-12 08:20 PM

RIght before the asteroid plows into the Earth, Carell yells "That's what she said!!"

crazychris88 02-11-12 08:42 PM

I really like this. I ill totally make it out to see this one. Looks like it could be something special.

Preterite 02-11-12 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Udpint (Post 11111327)
Spoiler:

Having read the script I can inform you that the above clever predictions are completely wrong.

There's many a slip twixt multiplex and script. :)

TheySentYou 02-15-12 10:56 PM

oops, my earlier post was mistaken for the more recent "Last Night" film... also starring Kiera Knightley. hah!

Meglos 02-17-12 01:09 PM

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
He gets together with the dog instead?

Osiris3657 02-17-12 07:41 PM

I'll see it.

islandclaws 02-17-12 07:58 PM

Looks fun, I'll see it.

Solid Snake 02-17-12 08:30 PM

Spoiler:

.....pm script?

Matthew Chmiel 02-17-12 08:34 PM

If everything I've read is true:

Spoiler:
A lot of reports I've read regarding the script regard it as one of the rare screenplays that have made its readers cry. If that's the case, I assume we know how this film ends.