Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Terminator: Genesis (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtne

The Sarah Connor Chronicles wasn't perfect by any means, but at least it was step in the right direction. Overall I found it quite engaging. It smartly ignored all the events of T3 and added some great new ideas to Cameron's story. Plus it had Lena Headey and Summer Glau anchoring everything with their inspired performances. If T3 had been more like that, I'd be as invested in the Terminator mythology as I am with Star Trek or Lord of the Rings. As is, though, I could really care less about any new Terminator films - sequels or reboots.
Old 06-05-14, 11:10 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Terminator: Genesis (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtne

Originally Posted by joliom
[I]As is, though, I could really care less about any new Terminator films - sequels or reboots.
Sooo...you might see it.
Old 06-05-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

The Sarah Connor Chronicles wasn't perfect by any means, but at least it was step in the right direction. Overall I found it quite engaging. It smartly ignored all the events of T3 and added some great new ideas to Cameron's story. Plus it had Lena Headey and Summer Glau anchoring everything with their inspired performances. If T3 had been more like that, I'd be as invested in the Terminator mythology as I am with Star Trek or Lord of the Rings. As is, though, I could really care less about any new Terminator films - sequels or reboots.
Surprisingly Brian Austin Green was also pretty cool in the Chronicles.
Old 06-05-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ Yup, he was a total badass on that show.
Old 06-05-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Shockingly, yes he was. I also thought Shirley Manson was really good in it too.
Old 06-05-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved that show. The shootout at the motel in is one of my all-time favorite TV moments.
Old 06-05-14, 04:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sarah Conner Chronicles was horrendous. Another nail in the coffin, IMO.
Old 06-05-14, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shockingly, yes he was. I also thought Shirley Manson was really good in it too.
Yes, I totally forgot about Shirley Manson.
Old 06-05-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I thought the second half of the first season was really good. Then it went off the rails in Season 2 (primarily by giving up on everything it had built up at the end of Season 1).
Old 06-05-14, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I've actually never watched the series yet. I've heard mixed things about it but have meant to get to it. It's on Amazon Prime Instant Video, might have to burn through it sometime.
Old 06-05-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I never watched it either, but I've mostly heard positive things too.
Old 06-05-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I loved the series but there was a huge misstep in season two regarding a silly storyline of Sarah investigating UFO obsessed nutjobs. After that storyline was dropped, the show was back on track and kept getting better and better until it ended on a huge cliffhanger (which could have easily been resolved in a DTV movie).
Old 06-05-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't the stupid writer's strike fuck everything up?
Old 06-05-14, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I loved the series but there was a huge misstep in season two regarding a silly storyline of Sarah investigating UFO obsessed nutjobs. After that storyline was dropped, the show was back on track and kept getting better and better until it ended on a huge cliffhanger (which could have easily been resolved in a DTV movie).
Knowing that it ends on a cliffhanger kills any enthusiasm I had for watching it
Old 06-05-14, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Knowing that it ends on a cliffhanger kills any enthusiasm I had for watching it
You'd probably still enjoy it since the ending makes for a pretty cool mindfuck.
Old 06-06-14, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

That's actually partly why I haven't watched it is because I had heard that it ends on a pretty big cliffhanger. I'm probably going to start it soon though just to see what it was like.
Old 06-06-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Commercially another nail in the coffin, but it was a great show and did many things right with the Terminator story.

Instead of going with the typical "good guy" terminator that has feelings, Cameron doesn't ever develop feelings in the show. Audiences have already seen robots who act human in Sci-Fi shows. When we see Cameron doing caring things for John or other people, it's always revealed later as a manipulation. As the show progresses there's always a question of her motives and loyalty which made it all the more interesting.

They follow up on characters and ideas from the first two films and flesh them out more, exploring what would happen from there. For example the idea of John Connor using reprogrammed terminators for the resistance, which lead to distrust amongst his men and situations like what happened on the USS Jimmy Carter. Would Dr. Silberman still have been comically in denial about what he witnessed or would it change his perceptions of the world around him?

They also continued the Biblical parallels that James Cameron introduced. These things are what made the show great and far superior to the 3rd and 4th films.
Old 06-06-14, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The ending of the show isn't necessarily a cliffhanger......

Spoiler:
Since we know John Connor becomes the leader of the human resistance in the future, you can view the ending as him arriving in that future to start that journey. The last episode was designed to kind of work as a cliffhanger to show the network where a continued story could go but to also put the characters in a place where it could act as an ending. Since it didn't get renewed, we know the rest of the story from the first 2 movies. The ending of T2 is essentially the ending of the show even though it takes place before the show. You must think 4th dimensionally.....
Old 06-06-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never bothered with The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but now I'm curious. When I saw that new copies of both seasons on Blu-ray were on eBay for just over $15 each, I made an impulse purchase and grabbed them.

My wallet thanks ye, fuckers.
Old 06-07-14, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Skynet now making grandpa Terminators to be able to infiltrate nursing homes?

Old 06-07-14, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jory
I've never bothered with The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but now I'm curious. When I saw that new copies of both seasons on Blu-ray were on eBay for just over $15 each, I made an impulse purchase and grabbed them.

My wallet thanks ye, fuckers.
You're welcome.
Old 06-07-14, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lara Means
Skynet now making grandpa Terminators to be able to infiltrate nursing homes?

He's in pretty good shape. With this and that Conan sequel in the works, how long 'til we get a Predator 3?

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-07-14 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-07-14, 12:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
He's in pretty good shape. With this and that Conan sequel in the works, how le get a Predator 3?
Kindergarten Cop 2!!
Old 06-07-14, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by taffer
Kindergarten Cop 2!!
Or Commando 2.
Old 06-10-14, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Honestly I try to ignore stuff like the actor or actress' real age when it comes to movies. A lot of films cast people who are too old to be playing a younger part so I just accept that it happens.
Yup. Like how Connor MacLeod is supposed to be 18 when he first becomes an immortal in Highlander.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.