Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Old 12-06-13, 08:34 AM
  #351  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,673
Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Originally Posted by brayzie
Sorry to nitpick but the first Terminator completed the story.
And also happens to be the best one. There is money to be made so let's see what ridiculousness they come up with in order to continue the story. Maybe they can top Alien Resurrection.
Old 12-06-13, 08:37 AM
  #352  
RIP
 
EddieMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paradise, USA
Posts: 9,919
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

I can't imagine anyone having extremely high expectations for T3 following 12 years after T2. What was everyone thinking? That'd it even be in the same league?
Old 12-06-13, 01:28 PM
  #353  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,525
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I can't imagine anyone having extremely high expectations for T3 following 12 years after T2. What was everyone thinking? That'd it even be in the same league?
Yes, mainly because of its development-hell limbo status for so long. I personally lost interest in the later 90s when Cameron basically gave up on it, and Jonathan Mostow didn't really excite me for the project. Living up to T2 is very difficult. Having any third film in a franchise follow up on a sequel that blows most action movies out of the water is impossible to do.
Old 12-06-13, 04:41 PM
  #354  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Terminator 5

I wasn't expecting T3 to be on the same level as T2. I would have gladly accepted something as good as Jonathan Mostow's previous movies, U-571 and Breakdown. Those films weren't masterpieces, but Mostow showed a genuine talent for tense action directing and a skill with actors, things totally and utterly lacking in T3. The plot is nothing more than a rehash of T2, the dialogue is a joke, the only action scene halfway worth a damn is the car chase, and none of the actors seem to have given a shit. I'm consistently amazed that T4, far and away the better movie, gets so much disdain while T3 is actually being looked back upon as some kind of underrated gem. Neither of them are worthy of kissing the boots of T1 or T2, but I never felt embarrassed for the franchise when watching T4.

Last edited by Jory; 12-06-13 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spell-check, you've failed me
Old 12-06-13, 05:04 PM
  #355  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,806
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Terminator 5



I like the idea of a Terminator and John Connor heading back to save Sarah as a teenager in the 70's/60's. That could be pretty cool.
Old 12-06-13, 05:27 PM
  #356  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,551
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Honestly I don't know why they just don't remake Terminator. They've remade everything else so I don't get why they want to keep churning out sequels to a 20 year old film.
Old 12-06-13, 05:30 PM
  #357  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Originally Posted by Jory
I wasn't expecting T3 to be on the same level as T2. I would have gladly accepted something as good as Jonathan Mostow's previous movies, U-571 and Breakdown. Those films weren't masterpieces, but Mostow showed a genuine talent for tense action directing and a skill with actors, things totally and utterly lacking in T3. The plot is nothing more than a rehash of T2, the dialogue is a joke, the only action scene halfway worth a damn is the car chase, and none of the actors seem to have given a shit. I'm consistently amazed that T4, far and away the better movie, gets so much disdain while T3 is actually being looked back upon as some kind of underrated gem. Neither of them are worthy of kissing the boots of T1 or T2, but I never felt embarrassed for the franchise when watching T4.
I continually felt embarrassed for the franchise while watching T4. It's like every line of dialogue was specifically designed for maximum stupidity. And that fucking ending. Oy gevalt.
Old 12-06-13, 05:30 PM
  #358  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Terminator 5

Originally Posted by robin2099
Honestly I don't know why they just don't remake Terminator. They've remade everything else so I don't get why they want to keep churning out sequels to a 20 year old film.
May as well, if they insist on repeating the "go back in time to protect someone" theme.
Old 12-06-13, 05:42 PM
  #359  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Terminator 5

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I continually felt embarrassed for the franchise while watching T4. It's like every line of dialogue was specifically designed for maximum stupidity. And that fucking ending. Oy gevalt.
T4 had its bad, even terrible moments, I admit.

But at no point did a Terminator put on Elton John sunglasses for a cheap laugh. At no point was there a completely fucking pointless cameo by Earl Boen, again for a cheap laugh. (The Arnold T-800 in T4 was stupid, but not that embarrassing.) At no point did a Terminator walk out of a convenience store after telling a clerk to "talk to the hand" while the soundtrack played a song with the lyrics "FUNKY MAN! FUNKY FUNKY! THAT FUNKY MAN!" At no point did the script tell us, "You know all that shit we told you in the last movie? Fuck that. It didn't matter." At no point did Nick Stahl appear, ever.

I could go on. T4 is nothing special, but it also doesn't make me want to punch anyone in the throat.
Old 12-06-13, 05:55 PM
  #360  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,623
Received 3,846 Likes on 2,754 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Originally Posted by Tarantino


I like the idea of a Terminator and John Connor heading back to save Sarah as a teenager in the 70's/60's. That could be pretty cool.
So here's a question about the timeline and ages.

How old was Sarah supposed to be in 1984 during the original film?

I assume early to mid 20's. If Emilia Clarke is cast, then I assume they will go back to the mid to late 70's when Sarah was a teenager.
Old 12-06-13, 06:15 PM
  #361  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Terminator 5

Originally Posted by DJariya
So here's a question about the timeline and ages.

How old was Sarah supposed to be in 1984 during the original film?

I assume early to mid 20's. If Emilia Clarke is cast, then I assume they will go back to the mid to late 70's when Sarah was a teenager.
If you want to scrutinize the ages of the characters in the Terminator series, you're in for a headache, because it's pretty fucked up.

In T2 the events of T1 are explicitly said to have taken place in 1984, and Sarah is said to be 29 years old in T2. Also, a computer screen in T2 says that John was born in 1985, which makes sense if he was conceived in 1984. But the rest of it sort of falls apart. If Sarah is 29 in T2, she would have to be 18 in T1. (For why, see below.) That's plausible, I guess, even though Linda Hamilton was 28 at the time. Less plausible is John's age in T2. If John was born in 1985, then T2 needs to take place in 1995 at the very earliest. But even then, John should only be ten years old, even though Edward Furlong was 13 when it was filmed, and John acts more like a 13-year-old than a 10-year-old. Not to mention that all of the cultural references in T2 make it seem a lot more like 1991 than 1995 or later.

Long story short: don't hurt your brain thinking about it. It's a time-travel movie, after all.
Old 12-06-13, 06:20 PM
  #362  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,623
Received 3,846 Likes on 2,754 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Oh man, so basically the timeline is all fucked up.

If Clarke is indeed cast, she could probably pass for 17 or 18 at the youngest, so that essentially means that they would be re-telling the events of 1984 again.
Old 12-06-13, 06:30 PM
  #363  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 19,353
Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Originally Posted by DJariya
So here's a question about the timeline and ages.

How old was Sarah supposed to be in 1984 during the original film?

I assume early to mid 20's. If Emilia Clarke is cast, then I assume they will go back to the mid to late 70's when Sarah was a teenager.
http://latino-review.com/2013/12/cra...r-time-travel/
Old 12-06-13, 08:05 PM
  #364  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Terminator 5

And another TV series, too:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65376
Old 12-07-13, 12:05 AM
  #365  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Originally Posted by Jory
T4 had its bad, even terrible moments, I admit.

But at no point did a Terminator put on Elton John sunglasses for a cheap laugh. At no point was there a completely fucking pointless cameo by Earl Boen, again for a cheap laugh. (The Arnold T-800 in T4 was stupid, but not that embarrassing.) At no point did a Terminator walk out of a convenience store after telling a clerk to "talk to the hand" while the soundtrack played a song with the lyrics "FUNKY MAN! FUNKY FUNKY! THAT FUNKY MAN!" At no point did the script tell us, "You know all that shit we told you in the last movie? Fuck that. It didn't matter." At no point did Nick Stahl appear, ever.

I could go on. T4 is nothing special, but it also doesn't make me want to punch anyone in the throat.
First, I'm a fan of Carnivale, and I thought Nick Stahl was a more interesting John Connor than Bale. Second, I will take a few lame attempts at humor over a script that makes me want to die horribly just to relieve the pain of watching these actors (most of whom suck, I mean, come on, Sam Worthington and Opie's daughter?) try to fumble their way through the world's shittiest dialogue while fucking McG directs one shitty action scene after another. And I would much rather have the real Arnold do almost anything than a fake Arnold doing something.

T4 makes me want to do much worse than punch people in the throat. I truly wish I had never seen it.
Old 12-07-13, 01:01 AM
  #366  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,017
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

The last thing wrong with T4 was the way McG shot the action scenes; in a sea of quick cut bullshit, the way those scenes were shot was welcomed.
Old 12-07-13, 07:49 AM
  #367  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,829
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Great. Now Cthulu is here.
Old 12-07-13, 09:05 AM
  #368  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Well about goddamn time. Set up a meeting and someone get Guillermo del Toro on the line or bring him to the meeting.
Old 12-11-13, 01:32 PM
  #369  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,623
Received 3,846 Likes on 2,754 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/jaso...inator-reboot/

Jason Clarke from Zero Dark Thirty and the TV series The Chicago Code is in talks to play John Connor.

I like that pick if he gets cast.
Old 12-11-13, 01:48 PM
  #370  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,084
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

I liked him in ZDT. I do think he would make a fine Connor.
Old 12-11-13, 02:27 PM
  #371  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 81,091
Received 1,385 Likes on 943 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Hope it's Clarke. Glad to see him get some good roles. He was awesome in Chicago Code and ZDT.
Old 12-11-13, 03:00 PM
  #372  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Terminator 5

Clarke is on a roll. Zero Dark Thirty, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and now Terminator: Genesis.
Old 12-11-13, 06:10 PM
  #373  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,547
Likes: 0
Received 4,755 Likes on 3,221 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

If you all like Clarke and haven't watched the series Brotherhood, get on that immediately.
Old 12-11-13, 07:45 PM
  #374  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,610
Received 380 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Clarke has become one of my favorite actors ever since I saw Chicago Code. Sold!
Old 12-11-13, 10:55 PM
  #375  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,414
Received 1,245 Likes on 957 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Brotherhood was awesome.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.