Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Old 07-05-15, 06:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtne

I like Jason Clarke, he's a good actor. I think he looks funny as John Connor though. I would have preferred a more grizzled faced kind of man like the one we saw in T2.
Old 07-05-15, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtne

Yeah. Despite all these movies (one of which is completely devoted to it), we still haven't seen the future as interesting looking as in T2. This new one came close, but those small moments in T2 (and T1) were very well done.
Old 07-05-15, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a big factor to why I want to see this one too. The future war looks great. They even brought back the purple lasers too. The glimpses of the war were wildly interesting to me as a kid. Still are.

Sadly T4 didn't go for it too well. At least it tried to do something else unlike T3, a fucking weak retread of T2.
Old 07-06-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler View Post
Jason Clarke is too ugly for leading roles in potential blockbusters.
This sums up how I feel perfectly.
Old 07-06-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 763 Likes on 620 Posts

The casting on this movie was all around pretty head scratching. It was almost like a rip-off release, akin to a high budget Asylum release. They actually had to have Schwarzenegger to legitimize it.
Old 07-06-15, 11:32 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and I are going to see this tomorrow. I haven't read anything about that Elephant Man looking guy from Doctor Who. Is he barely in it?
Old 07-06-15, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 179 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
The casting on this movie was all around pretty head scratching.
Hollywood loves casting flavor of the month actors.
Old 07-06-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 763 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Hollywood loves casting flavor of the month actors.
They do, but none of these guys fit that, they're all fairly un-tried and/or true.
Old 07-07-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nxr2SV5znwI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-07-15, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
My son and I are going to see this tomorrow. I haven't read anything about that Elephant Man looking guy from Doctor Who. Is he barely in it?

No, sorry, didn't see him anywhere.
Old 07-07-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
He was on the EW covers but seemed to have disappeared in the tv spots and trailers.
Old 07-07-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 150 Posts

John Hurt played the Elephant Man and was in Doctor Who...is that who you're talking about?
Old 07-07-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Matt Smith is who he means.

I wish this was doing a bit better, it was more entertaining to me than Jurassic World. I'm not exactly dying for a part 6, but I had a lot of fun with it and wish Arnie was getting a better valedictory at the box office.

Guess I can see a few reasons why though
* Critics just went overboard on bashing it, to the point where it felt like overkill to me.
* Terrible, terrible title which most people hated since day one
* Terminator 4 was utterly horrible and killed most people's interest in franchise. While nobody seems to love Jurassic Park 3, I don't think it was considered a total abomination by many.
* Too much given away in trailers (why not feature the Arnie/Arnie fight more instead?)
* Maybe too much competition at box office too right now

Oh well. I dug it will buy the BR and watch it again.
Old 07-07-15, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean View Post
Matt Smith is who he means.

I wish this was doing a bit better, it was more entertaining to me than Jurassic World. I'm not exactly dying for a part 6, but I had a lot of fun with it and wish Arnie was getting a better valedictory at the box office.

Guess I can see a few reasons why though
* Critics just went overboard on bashing it, to the point where it felt like overkill to me.
* Terrible, terrible title which most people hated since day one
* Terminator 4 was utterly horrible and killed most people's interest in franchise. While nobody seems to love Jurassic Park 3, I don't think it was considered a total abomination by many.
* Too much given away in trailers (why not feature the Arnie/Arnie fight more instead?)
* Maybe too much competition at box office too right now

Oh well. I dug it will buy the BR and watch it again.
I agree with a lot of your points. The critics bashing it before it premiered certainly didn't help. Many Internet posters base their movie-going solely on Rotten Tomatoes percentages and reading Film columnist reviews to see if it's worth their time and money.

I also think for many people, including this forum, it's a big hassle to make the time in their schedule to drive to the theater and see a movie. I know some of the posters here have families and kids and it's next to impossible to block off 2-2 1/2 hours of their day. My sister would probably see Terminator, but she has a small daughter and really has no time unless she gets my Mom to babysit.

Also, I'm getting sick and tired of some here posting links to bad reviews incessantly trying to find excuses not to see it. I mean for Christ's sake I don't need to see every fucking review link from guys who thought it sucked.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-07-15 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-08-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Also, I'm getting sick and tired of some here posting links to bad reviews incessantly trying to find excuses not to see it. I mean for Christ's sake I don't need to see every fucking review link from guys who thought it sucked.
And for everyone who feels like you, there is someone who feels the opposite and is entitled to their opinion.

There are people like myself that do not want to spend their money and contribute to this type of Hollywood product.
I will eventually watch it but I will not pay to see it and when I do I will post my thoughts.

Last edited by inri222; 07-08-15 at 10:02 AM.