Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will the current horror franchises still hold up ten years from now?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

With the October Horror movie challenge this month has given me the chance to catch up on some classic horror films. The Halloween, Nightmare On Elm Street, and Friday The 13th movie series still hold up many years later. Mainly the original and early sequels are still fun to watch.

The current crop of Horror series don't seem like they'll age that well. Saw, Final Destination, and Paranormal Activity don't even come close to matching the likes of Freddy, Michael, Jason and even Chucky. I can't even think of an actual current slasher series (Hatchet maybe?)

What do you guys think?
Old 10-24-11, 12:49 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Will the current horror franchises still hold up ten years from now?

If you want to be serious about it...most of those old franchise films suck. Don't blind yourself by how much you enjoy them. They're mostly crap (as is the new franchises as well). Your level of entertainment doesn't always equal to quality. These new film franchises will probably not have a very memorable quality compared to the other guys cuz they for the most part lack a figure. Saw has Jigsaw but he still doesn't have the presence of Jason, Michael, or Freddy. Those films created a character image that had presence and hit pop culture strongly. The others don't have that in the massive force the older ones did. Sure Jigsaw is referenced here and there but it's not as big as say...Freddy. They'll live in popularity like any popular film will but they won't be as memorable I think.
Old 10-24-11, 01:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah i agree with Snake. Nostalgia colored glasses make everything look really good for a really long time!
Old 10-24-11, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

But the general level of writing and creativity has gone down the drain in modern Hollywood. Saw might be the exception, as it is a very consistent franchise with an original premise. You might even say it is the most consistent horror series of all time, given the number of duds in franchises like F13 and Nightmare On Elm Street.

But something like Final Destination should never have been made past the first one.
Old 10-24-11, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The movies are all mostly bad. The only thing the 80s had is characters who became icons.
Old 10-24-11, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Aren't most (all?) horror franchises just one good horror movie and a bunch of lousy sequels?
Old 10-24-11, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it matters whether you consider these films bad or not. Iif they still entertain then they still hold up in some fashion. I'm not the biggest fan of the Friday the 13th film series (I've always thought it sucked actually) but going by the threads I read around here, it still has a strong following.
Now, will the current crop have the same legs? I doubt it. Paranormal Activity is still going strong but I have a feeling it's hit it's peak with the latest installment. Saw is distinctive enough that it may still have fans down the road and Final Destination is already fizzling away and will be forgotten. I agree that the current horror crowd is not character based but rather gimmick based,which plays well for the short term rather than long term.
Old 10-24-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I recently rewatched the original Nightmare on Elm Street. I loved it when I saw it in theaters. I had to be around 13 or 14. Scared the piss out of me. Holy carp!

Saw it again about 2 months ago. Imaginative, but what a pile of shit. Same with the original Friday the 13th. Chucky was always garbage. The original Halloween is still reasonably compelling but the sequels all stink, with the exception of 3 because it dared do something entirely different and creepy.

It's bullshit nostalgia, anyhow. Saw, Hostel, Final Destination, Paranormal Activity... they're all just as reasonable as the Friday the 13ths, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Steets, etc.
Old 10-24-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I actually think the newer horror movies are better than some of the 80s ones in terms of actual movie quality (Saw I and II, Final Destination, The Ring, Insidious, Drag Me To Hell, Paranormal Activity), but the 80s ones all have more iconic bad guys.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-24-11 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-24-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't kid yourself. Those old horror movies are not that good. They're not better or worse than the current crop.

This weekend my younger sibling was talking with a group of friends (all in high school) about the Saw movies and how they are the best of the modern horror films. They'll hold up.
Old 10-24-11, 12:15 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Don't kid yourself.
Excuse me while I "kid myself". Nightmare on Elm Street and Haloween are excellent films. The sequels are a different story, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Just because something spawned a half-dozen sequels doesn't mean the original is a turd. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is another example. These are great films by any measure.
Old 10-24-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

However, the OP was talking about a "series" not individual films.
Old 10-24-11, 12:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I think Saw will hold up. We're already at the seven year mark with that one. The sequels will be remembered as a footnote, if only for their slavish dedication to continuity (unusual in any genre, but especially horror).
Old 10-24-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Agree that Saw will hold, at least for the story. I see PA becoming like the Blair Witch, a foot note, but forgotten
Old 10-24-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Scream 4 says "no."
Old 10-24-11, 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dhmac
Aren't most (all?) horror franchises just one good horror movie and a bunch of lousy sequels?
out of hte 80s ones mentioned...pretty much yes. Except for Chucky. That was a piece of crap not matter what...but it still heavily entertained those it needed to entertain.

I WILL admit though...that the current crop of horror films are much better made from a tech standpoint. And though I've no strong attraction to Saw...they're better than most of the 80s horror sequels. PA was actually pretty good imo. I like Hostel. LOVED DMTH. As much as I am not a fan of MOST modern horror films...they are better than most of the 80s horror in the overrall.
Old 10-24-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, the thread title poses a decent question but the first post negates it by declaring 80's cheese as "good" by comparison.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
But something like Final Destination should never have been made past the first one.
How so? It's a solid premise, and infinitely more intriguing than serial killer x stalking teens.
Old 10-24-11, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Has there ever been one to hit at least 3 good movies?
They peak at 2.
Old 10-24-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 838 Posts

I agree with Snake as well. When I re-watch all those old franchise films, I find them terribly silly. They just weren't very good films. Heck, I mostly prefer the remakes (yeah, I know, shoot me. ).
Old 10-24-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The original 'Return of the Living Dead' still kicks ass. I've always liked that first one, that's a lot of fun to watch and it's well made. As usual the follow ups were not up to snuff.

I just watched the 'More Brains!' documentary, so it's fresh in my mind. That's a great doc BTW if you like the film.

I agree about 'Friday the 13th' and 'Nightmare on Elm Street' and all. Except the first 'Halloween', I still like that.
Old 10-24-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Has there ever been one to hit at least 3 good movies?
They peak at 2.
Don't really consider it a franchise, but :

Old 10-24-11, 03:27 PM
Banned

..but..it is a franchise of sorts. More cultish than anything but...let's just call it a series.
Old 10-24-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
..but..it is a franchise of sorts. More cultish than anything but...let's just call it a series.

Yes it is a kind of franchise. But when I consider a franchise, I think of money over substance. Romero did these films on the cheap and refused to let big bucks get in the way because he did not want to compromise his vision.
Old 10-24-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Friday the 13th may be the only franchise, where every sequel is better than the original.
Old 10-24-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

^If you honestly think Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood is better than the original, step AWAY from my Ovaltine you fuck!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.