Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Lion is King of the Box Office: 9/16-9/18

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Lion is King of the Box Office: 9/16-9/18

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-11, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Lion is King of the Box Office: 9/16-9/18

Originally Posted by Giles
I find it incredulous that Disney (and everyone involved with this film) turns a blind eye to this fact. It really pisses me off, give credit where credit is due, but don't play dumb.

here is an interesting web story on the similarities:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ing.html?cat=9
Honestly...who gives a shit? The Lion King is a masterpiece. Kimba the White Lion looks like complete and utter shit.

Everybody steals from everybody so what's the difference?
Old 09-18-11, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Honestly...who gives a shit? The Lion King is a masterpiece. Kimba the White Lion looks like complete and utter shit.

Yep.
Old 09-18-11, 12:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

the difference is: Disney hold's its product so tightly that anyone who who tries to use it's many characters in print, film, video, performance, etc without permission or portrayed in not a good light, expect a shitload of their lawyers to appear with pitchforks - the AMPAS got in big trouble when Snow White danced with Rob Lowe at the 61st Academy Awards in 1989 - Disney was so mortified it became a major debacle - so it's okay to slam non-Disney films, but to paint Disney negatively is off-base.
Old 09-18-11, 12:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'm sure being "too harsh and uncompromising for mainstream digestion" is why Straw Dogs bombed. Right...

Great hold once again for Apes, although it's likely going to fall just short of outgrossing Burton's version. Even if it did, though, it still gets killed in admissions.
maybe Hollywood needs to take a bigger hint and stop with this remake train.

that's too bad about Apes, since Burton's version really sucked monkey balls.
Old 09-18-11, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I think you're being unfair to Kimba. It's a masterpiece in its own right. It was the first color anime TV series in Japan. Unfortunately, we've only seen the English dub version, which was hampered by numerous compromises that NBC demanded of Osamu Tezuka (the original creator and producer of the animation) before it could be aired in the U.S. I would love to see the original series in Japanese with English subtitles transferred from the original Japanese masters. Esp. the second season, in which Kimba grows to adulthood and has children of his own. This season never got a proper airing in the U.S. It was eventually dubbed into English nearly 20 years later by a hack outfit that did a very poor job and was aired only on the Christian Broadcasting Network in 1984 under the title, "Leo the Lion." From what I've seen of it, from cheap tapes found in used video bins, it seems to have been much better than the first season. There have been remakes in Japan, including a well-budgeted feature film anime adaptation in 1997 that's quite good even though, as stated in my earlier post, it consciously echoes THE LION KING.

It would have been awesome to see the credit, "from a story by Osamu Tezuka" in THE LION KING's credits.

One rumor back in 1996 was that Disney's deal to buy up Studio Ghibli's films (primarily Hayao Miyazaki's films) and release them around the world was an act of atonement for ripping off Tezuka.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-18-11 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-18-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yep.
Nice argument. Bravo!
Old 09-18-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
maybe Hollywood needs to take a bigger hint and stop with this remake train.

that's too bad about Apes, since Burton's version really sucked monkey balls.
Let us ponder the irony of slamming Hollywood's recycling and implying praise for Rise of the Planet of the Apes in the same post.
Old 09-18-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

I watched Kimba as a kid, and I never throughout Disney "ripped" off Kimba for The Lion King. The stories feature young lions. That's about it.
Old 09-18-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Nice argument. Bravo!
Yeah it is a good argument. How does some Disney suits stealing an idea affect my enjoyment of a movie?

I couldn't care less how movies get made as long as they do and I enjoy them.

Apparently Inception ripped off the idea from Duck Tales. Do I care? Nope.
Old 09-18-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Expecting Disney to acknowledge Kimba is like waiting for J.K. Rowling and the producers of Harry Potter to acknowledge Larry Potter. (Yes, that's a real story, google it)
Old 09-18-11, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I watched Kimba as a kid, and I never throughout Disney "ripped" off Kimba for The Lion King. The stories feature young lions. That's about it.
Kimba! Simba! It's clearly a ripoff! The proof is in the pudding!
Old 09-18-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm a big fan of The Lion King, and haven't seen Kimba...knew about the controversy years ago, and really don't care that much. But I remember reading that Roy Disney straight up called the main character "Kimba" during pre-production. Here is one source that indicates such:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....icle380619.ece
Old 09-18-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

From Box Office Guru:

Sarah Jessica Parker's new comedy I Don't Know How She Does It failed to pull in fans of the book with an estimated $4.5M bow from 2,476 theaters resulting in a pathetic $1,818 average for The Weinstein Co.
There's hope for audiences yet.
Old 09-18-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. Drive did better than Straw Dogs and I don't know how she does it.
Score.
Old 09-18-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those of you keeping track, Rise of the Planet of the Apes has outgrossed Tim Burton's remake on a worldwide scale...

Rise of the Planet of the Apes: $392 million ($172m domestic, $220m foreign).
Planet of the Apes: $362 million ($180m domestic, $182m foreign).

Chances look bleak on Rise... outgrossing the remake domestically unless Fox does a theatrical re-release before BD/DVD or a big push with second-run theaters.

Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star dropped 73% in weekend two; one of the biggest drops in recent memory and it looks like it won't pass $3 million domestically. It would've honestly made more money if Sony released it direct-to-video.
Old 09-19-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CloverClover
I will never support Lion King until Disney gives credit for the anime they stole it from.
Have you seen the anime? or read the manga? they're both stories about lion cubs who lose their fathers. That's about all they have in common.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The original Kimba the White Lion:

The 1997 movie remake, JUNGLE EMPEROR LEO...

...which, ironically, drew on THE LION KING for inspiration.
Yes, you can clearly see how badly Disney ripped off Kimba: both covers feature the sun, the sky, the ground, carbon-based life forms, the African Savannah instead of the New York City zoo where all the Lions really are, and a dramatic scene on top of a rock. Because we've seen countless movies where the triumphant hero stands tall in a ditch.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I'm a big fan of The Lion King, and haven't seen Kimba...knew about the controversy years ago, and really don't care that much. But I remember reading that Roy Disney straight up called the main character "Kimba" during pre-production. Here is one source that indicates such:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....icle380619.ece
Yes.... people mix up popular forms of entertainment all the damn time. When I used to work in electronics, people would come in and ask for a Nintendo Playstation and so on. That doesn't mean that Nintendo stole trade secrets.

Also, Kimba and Simba aren't just random names. "Kimba" means "she of great faith". Yes, it's actually a girl's name, and it fits the tone of that series much more than the Lion King. "Simba" means "lion". How original, I know. Interestingly enough, "hakuna matata" literally does mean "no worries/anxiety", and in some parts of Africa you'll see signs where lions have been driven from their habitat by man that read "hakuna simba"
Old 09-19-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
From Box Office Guru:

There's hope for audiences yet.
Considering the movie was so poorly promoted and came off as a vanity project, i'm not surprised it failed.
Old 09-19-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I am LOVING "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" still in the top 10 after 7 weeks. And did the studios expect it to gross nearly 175M in the U.S.? I seem to recall boxoffice.com saying something around 120M. "In a world" where garbage like "The Smurfs" makes so much money, it pleases me to no end to see really good movies make money too.
I hadn't been paying attention after I saw Apes opening weekend, so I'm very pleasantly surprised to see it holding on so well. We should definitely be seeing a new trilogy with this kind of performance.
Old 09-19-11, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Captain America has now passed $174 million US, and worldwide it's at $358 million. It should reach $175 million once it's finished in the 2nd run theaters. It'll fall a little short of Thor's $181 million US total, but it still had a good showing. Green Lantern's worldwide total is $219.8 million. I don't think it has any more markets to open in.

Apes still hasn't opened yet in Japan, Italy, or China. So it's a lock for over $400 mil worldwide.