Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Summit Entertainment to produce Highlander remake

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-12-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/28-we...hlander-remake

Christopher Lambert's star may have long since faded since he appeared in the 1986 cult classic "Highlander", but the fantasy/action film itself is enjoying something of a revival now, thanks to the announcement of an upcoming remake from Summit Entertainment.

Now it's being reported that "28 Weeks Later" director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo has landed at the helm of the franchise reboot, with production expected to begin sometime next spring from a screenplay by "Iron Man" scribes Art Marcum and Matt Holloway. Neal H. Moritz, Peter Davis, Enrique Lopez Lavigne and Belen Atienza will serve as producers, with "Fast Five" helmer Justin Lin (who was originally attached to direct), Rui Costa Reis, and Eliad Josephson executive-producing.

The original film and its first sequel were directed by Russell Mulcahy ("Resident Evil: Extinction"), with Lambert starring as immortal Scottish warrior Connor MacLeod in the first four installments. Though the first movie was not a box-office success initially, it later caught on both overseas and on home video, leading to the production of a total of four sequels as well as a TV spin-off.

Summit acquired the remake rights in 2008.

The plot of the original follows MacLeod as he battles through the centuries with a group of other immortals, all culminating in an epic battle in modern-day New York City known as "The Gathering". Sean Connery co-starred as Ramirez, MacLeod's mentor in the ways of immortality.

Fresnadillo's next film is the horror/thriller "Intruders" starring Clive Owen, which is slated to premiere later this week at the Toronto Film Festival before debuting in U.S. theaters on October 7th. Make sure to check back for Drew's review of the film.

and the remakes just keep coming.

I saw all the Highlander movies including the last one with Adrian Paul, which was God awful. I wish they would have ended the movie series with End Game, which brought Duncan and Connor together and ended with closure.

Was anyone really asking for a remake of this series? It sucks too that one of the key producers of the series Bill Panzer died already.
Old 09-12-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: Summit Entertainment to produce Highlander remake

Ahem. Yours is a duplicate thread.
Old 09-12-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Didn't realize you were a Highlander fan too. Plus, your thread fell to page 8 and didn't come up in the search....and I did do a search 1st.

Anyways, considering they officially hired a director and have writers, consider this project official now. It's probably not going to come out until late 2012 or 2013 now.
Old 09-12-11, 09:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually just finished seeing Highlander. The only thing that bothers me the most was the direction. Needed some fine tuning bit otherwise I enjoyed it again. I tgink...this story can be bettered. It had a very epic or grand story to tell...just never hit the full potential it could have.
Old 09-12-11, 09:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't make me ban you, Snake. Highlander is the Oscar winner for best picture ever!