Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you sit through the end credits?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you sit through the end credits?
Yes, I like to read the info and pay my respects to the filmmakers
35.58%
No, my time is too valuable and I can always look stuff up later
13.46%
Yes, but only when I know something worthwhile is coming up
50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Do you sit through the end credits?

Old 09-01-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Do you sit through the end credits?

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
That's right. And do you stay after the band has left, with the house lights on, to watch the road crew take down the stage and cart it away?

No? Case closed.
I do, at least until the security starts kicking me out. It's the same thing as a movie, my wife and I like to see all aspects, and just to extend the experience.

At the movies, we like to see what odd jobs and names get credits, also because we like to look out for her name. It's not a rare name, but we've only seen it in the credits a couple of times.

At concerts, we like to see how road crews do their job efficiently. We like to watch the people after the show, and how they handled it. Since we see mostly metal shows, there's usually at least one person hammered out of their mind that got their ass handed to them in the pit. Plus, the artists sometimes come out after the show to hang out for a bit.
Old 09-02-11, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually always stay through the end credits. My main reason is because that way I know I've seen the whole movie. There is an exception of two (like if I'm seeing more than one movie, and my next movie is starting very shortly, or if my sister and brother-in-law are with me. They never like to sit through the end credits usually), but most of the time I stick to my guns. Recently, I rented HALL PASS when I was on my vacation and my father's girlfriend turned off the movie just as the credits started. Knowing he was staying over there that night, I popped the movie back into his DVD player at his place and watched the end credits in its entirety. So much good funny stuff waiting for you if you sit through the whole movie. I didn't think the movie was amazing, but those scenes during the credits scored a couple of big laughs in the process. Same scenario with last month's 30 MINUTES OR LESS. I implore anyone who wants to see that one to sit through the whole end credits. Otherwise, you'll be saying, "Wait, that was it?!"

And there's another but more unorthondox reason I sit through the end credits too. The MPAA and IATSE logos at the end of each film are never always the same, and I'm always interested to see which ones they use on any movie. I'm actually starting to like seeing the revival of the IATSE logos without the bylines on recent movies. I've seen this example on SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD, HALL PASS, and A LITTLE HELP (which might be the most unorthodox one I've ever seen because its the one they used to use on TV shows and its so big that it nearly fills the entire screen).
Old 09-02-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

This is REALLY geeky, but not too long ago I just learned that the number under the MPAA logo is different for each movie and is supposed to be in numerical order, so now I check that number. I don't know if the first movie to be rated had a "1", or what number they started with.
Old 09-02-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 461 Posts

Boy, that is worth staying to see.
Old 09-02-11, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
This is REALLY geeky, but not too long ago I just learned that the number under the MPAA logo is different for each movie and is supposed to be in numerical order, so now I check that number. I don't know if the first movie to be rated had a "1", or what number they started with.
Actually the certificate numbers (which is now usually on the top of the logo) date all the way back to the formation of the Production Code, so even the original seals have the numbers as well. In fact, I found a site that has all of the certificate numbers located at the website below

http://members.chello.nl/~a.degreef/Filmnummers.html
Old 09-02-11, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

holy shit..
Old 09-03-11, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicholas Vargo View Post
Actually the certificate numbers (which is now usually on the top of the logo) date all the way back to the formation of the Production Code, so even the original seals have the numbers as well. In fact, I found a site that has all of the certificate numbers located at the website below

http://members.chello.nl/~a.degreef/Filmnummers.html
Yeah, but back then, the numbers were displayed at the beginning of the film...just like the rest of the credits!
Old 09-03-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
Rise of the Planet of the Apes wasn't a bad movie, but I was out the door even when I saw there was an extra scene or two during the end credits. One guy and his kid went back in when they noticed something new happening. Can't say I feel like I missed much.

Spoiler:
Just the dying off of the entire human race. No, not much at all.
Old 09-04-11, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Spoiler:
Just the dying off of the entire human race. No, not much at all.
I can understand people wanting to avoid that.
Old 09-04-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
I've never understood people that refuse to watch the credits. "I'm willing to spend two hours and twenty minutes watching this movie, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend two hours and twenty-six minutes watching it!"
So you don't understand 99% of the population. Maybe it's not about them.
Old 09-04-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 727 Likes on 595 Posts

I stay sometimes but it's not something I absolutely have to do every time I go to a movie. A lot of times after the film ends my friends and I might sit there a while and just discuss it or talk about something else and not leave right away so not exactly paying full attention. If I know something like an extra scene or whatever is coming I'll stick around obviously.
Old 09-05-11, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nicholas Vargo View Post
I usually always stay through the end credits. My main reason is because that way I know I've seen the whole movie.
You have seen the whole movie! The movie is over, when the end credits start to roll.
Old 09-05-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

One and only time - I stayed after the credits for Pirates 2, man, I felt like such an idiot. So not worth that.

I couldn't believe that nearly the whole theater was staying for the Captain America after-credits. I really didn't like CA, so I couldn't wait to get out.

If I cared about the scene, I'd just watch it on youtube or read later what it was.
Old 09-07-11, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 194 Likes on 130 Posts

Lot of posts for something the forum seems to generally agree on; 85% yes
Old 09-07-11, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always stay, it's part of the movie, I paid to watch the whole movie so I'm watching the whole movie.

One thing that really annoys me is when the theater brings the lights up as soon as the credits start.
Old 09-07-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 185 Likes on 130 Posts

to think I almost skipped this thread.
Old 09-07-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only do I sit through the entire credits, but I also applaud while watching.
Old 09-07-11, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I stick around through the end ever since I first learned there may be something after the credits.
Old 09-07-11, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Received 666 Likes on 505 Posts

I always stay since Samuel L. Jackson always does something after the credits. In every film.
Old 09-07-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only stay if there's something after the credits. I kinda like the trend (Rise of the Apes, Fast & Furious 5) of having the post movie scene early into the credits. I hope that catches on.
Old 09-07-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
You have seen the whole movie! The movie is over, when the end credits start to roll.
The credits are part of the physical film being projected and count toward the run time. You would be more accurate to say that by the time the credits begin to roll, we've seen the story. Ordinarily I would agree that this is a matter of semantics except that it's this distinction that explains why a certain segment feel strongly about seeing it through to the very end.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Lot of posts for something the forum seems to generally agree on; 85% yes
In fairness, a large part of that 85% responded with a conditional "Yes." If they're not expecting to find something after the credits, they're likely to bail.

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I only stay if there's something after the credits. I kinda like the trend (Rise of the Apes, Fast & Furious 5) of having the post movie scene early into the credits. I hope that catches on.
The first time I remember seeing something during the credits was Wayne's World (1992). They talked over the beginning of the end credits, and when it began to run just the credits, most of the audience left. They missed Wayne & Garth come back during the end credits. That stuck with me when, three years later, we got a local theater and I was in my teens and therefore able to go to movies with my friends on our own. Nothing to Lose (1997) was the first movie I saw at that theater that had something after the credits, and my friend and I were the only two people in the theater to see it.

Mind you, I'm not declaring those the earliest instances of end credits material. I'm just pointing out those are the ones that I first encountered, and that they pre-date the movies you've cited by more than a decade (19 years in the case of Wayne's World).
Old 09-07-11, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jackie Chan's Hong Kong movies used to have outtakes during the end credits, often showing injuries and stunts-gone-wrong. IIRC, he got this from the CANNONBALL RUN movies (he was in both of them), which had outtakes at the end. Did any movies do this before CANNONBALL RUN (1981)?

As for movies that had action continue into the end credits, I think CLAUDINE (1974), with James Earl Jones and Diahann Carroll, was the first I saw to do that. When the credits start rolling, there are a couple of beats before we see that the family's immediate fate will be a lot kinder than it seemed when the credits started.

Then there's the anime feature, ONLY YESTERDAY (1991/Studio Ghibli), in which the action continues under the end credits, including a very happy romantic denouement, so if you stop when the credits come up you miss something really important. Not that this is much of an issue, since it's still not available in the U.S. and has had very few (legit) showings here. In fact, now that I mention it, there are quite a few anime productions where you find out key info about the main characters' fates only by watching all the end credits. Miyazaki's KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE, to name one. And the TV series, "Paradise Kiss," to name another. I found this practice charming in KIKI, but annoying in "Paradise," where the key info revealed was part of the dramatic resolution in the manga and should have been part of the series proper and not consigned to the end credits.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-07-11 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-07-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 485 Likes on 297 Posts

With outtakes or waiting for an after-credits sequence as the exceptions.... staying for the credits because it's "part of the movie" seems as asinine to me as not fast-forwarding through TV commercials because it's "part of the show". But to each their own.
Old 09-07-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 461 Posts

As I said earlier, I just Google the movie before the lights come down to see if there is any reason to stay. Makes life easier and I'm not having to sit through a list of names of everyone who breathed near the film.
Old 09-07-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

I couldn't believe that nearly the whole theater was staying for the Captain America after-credits. I really didn't like CA, so I couldn't wait to get out.

If I cared about the scene, I'd just watch it on youtube or read later what it was.
I think Captain America was the biggest audience i've seen that all stayed to watch the end. I think that was pretty cool, although I liked the movie and it seemed neat that the awareness for something after the movie and the Avengers was that high.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.